PDA

View Full Version : Jordan vs Barkley's Sixers 1985 -- RARE game

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-23-2015, 08:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iji7z-g63rU

REALLY rare stuff. Never seen the full verz or highlights of this one on the internet before. Crazy game and finish though. From the looks of it, Mike goes berserk in the 4th quarter and finishes with 38 points (that 180 dunk ~5:36 :eek:)

Gotterdammerung
08-23-2015, 08:53 PM

REALLY rare stuff. Never seen the full verz or highlights of this one on the internet before. Crazy game and finish though. From the looks of it, Mike goes berserk in the 4th quarter and finishes with 38 points (that 180 dunk ~5:36 :eek:)
Righteous find :cheers:

Was interesting to see that the Sixers had Bobby Jones defend Jordan for a few plays cuz he was blowing by the guard every time. :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Righteous find :cheers:

Was interesting to see that the Sixers had Bobby Jones defend Jordan for a few plays cuz he was blowing by the guard every time. :oldlol:

Yup lol. I think that was "The Boston Strangler" aka Andrew Toney. Rookie MJ had games where he torched him and Sidney Moncrief, arguably the 2 best defensive wings at the time.

Rake2204
08-23-2015, 09:19 PM

REALLY rare stuff. Never seen the full verz or highlights of this one on the internet before. Crazy game and finish though. From the looks of it, Mike goes berserk in the 4th quarter and finishes with 38 points (that 180 dunk ~5:36 :eek:)Nice clip! But 180 at 5:36? That looked like a pretty standard two-hand alley-oop. Looked weird though because I think he lost control of the ball - it sort of fell through instead of being thrown in. I might dig his flush at 2:50 even more.

Gotterdammerung
08-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Yup lol. I think that was "The Boston Strangler" aka Andrew Toney. Rookie MJ had games where he torched him and Sidney Moncrief, arguably the 2 best defensive wings at the time.
The Boston Strangler was awesome before his feet injuries.
All Star in both '82 and '83, but by '85 he was declining, and completely washed up the following season. The Sixers organization done him wrong. :facepalm

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Nice clip! But 180 at 5:36? That looked like a pretty standard two-hand alley-oop. Looked weird though because I think he lost control of the ball - it sort of fell through instead of being thrown in. I might dig his flush at 2:50 even more.

You're probably right. The contortion and loss of control at first glimpse looked something like a 180, so it kinda threw me off. :oldlol: Still a pretty sweet finish though.

Gotter, Toney was a beast. His longevity was oddly cut short, but in his prime he was the Sixers engine IMO. Here's the perfect quote describing him: "He was a deadeye shooter with the demeanor of a hired gun, a grim gamer, in awe of no one." :bowdown:

catch24
08-23-2015, 11:39 PM
Great quality for VHS footage in OP. Absolutely rare indeed... :applause:

I remember back when Hoops used to drop rares every week - that was the 'golden era' of Youtube.