PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Topics for a Research Paper

Timmy D for MVP
08-28-2015, 02:02 AM
I'm taking a Senior Seminar to finally finish up my history degree. In it I have to write a paper on a topic of my choice that is original work. Basically like a mini-thesis (18-30 pages) that proves I can be a real life historian and contribute in some manner to the field.

I have long wanted to do historical research in basketball, and this is a great opportunity to do so. I am having a hard time coming up with a topic at this juncture that I can explore in enough depth. So in order to help I would like to ask ISH:

What parts of basketball history interest you? What are some blind spots that you wish there was more information on. or something to be expanded on? Anything would be pretty helpful.

outbreak
08-28-2015, 02:03 AM
***** size through out each era. Not just length but girth.

9erempiree
08-28-2015, 02:07 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384085

9erempiree
08-28-2015, 02:09 AM
I would write about Wilt Chamberlain because you can put together a paper with what Lazerus posts.

-or-

You can write about defenses of today vs. the past and use Michael Jordan as a reference because 3ball has written a lot about it.

Or you can write about religion or social issues because I have pieced together tons of paper from threads.

Very easy and you came to the right place.

If you need research....I personally have made big ass threads and you can get some stuff of it.

There is a nice immigration thread going on right now.

Jakeh008
08-28-2015, 02:26 AM
The history of the 3point line. Why is was added, the distance differences/changed and how it worked in different leagues... NCAA, ABA, NBA, Fiba...

The basics are here but seems like a topic you could get 20 pages from easy and be interested in (Id be interested in reading deeper into how ABA used it as a marketing tool vs the NBA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

Thorpesaurous
08-28-2015, 07:27 AM
The three point line is a good one. The shot clock is another, but there was an article a few years ago about the guy who invented the shot clock just after he died that pretty much covers everything.

I've always felt there was an up and down nature of size in the league ("sinusoidal" if you're looking for good paper words). The seventies seem small, particularly at the PF position, then got bigger in the 80s and into the 90s, then seemed to start getting smaller again. Something tracking the size of rosters on average, and maybe the sizes at position, might be interesting.

You can never go wrong in a school paper addressing race. The quiet integration of the league. Bill Russell's tenuous relationship with the city of Boston. The concern over perception in the 70s. The almost reverse perception of racism of the Celtics in the 80s who were seen as too white. There's a paper in there for sure.

Lensanity
08-28-2015, 08:38 AM
2002 game 6 Lakers Kings

Would make a great and very interesting research essay

UK2K
08-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Some dude on the main board spews the same shit about how defenses have changed over the years.

Figured that'd be a pretty easy topic. And hes done all the research for you.

knickballer
08-28-2015, 08:53 AM
How Basketball bridges cultural understanding(something along those lines)?

How Basketball has shifted from a sport played by WASPS to an African American sport and the cultural influences it has in Urban communities.

How the 24 second shot clock placed an emphasis on athleticism rather than technical ability and how it's being reflected in the current NBA. Different in comparison with College and International ball where more team ball is emphasized.

Other topics is rise of salary cap, better to tank, effects of the ASU teams, etc.

the mesiah
08-28-2015, 10:39 AM
A good James Naismith or start of the BAA from 1946 would be interesting to me ,especially if you looking at 18+ pages .

sundizz
08-28-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm taking a Senior Seminar to finally finish up my history degree. In it I have to write a paper on a topic of my choice that is original work. Basically like a mini-thesis (18-30 pages) that proves I can be a real life historian and contribute in some manner to the field.

I have long wanted to do historical research in basketball, and this is a great opportunity to do so. I am having a hard time coming up with a topic at this juncture that I can explore in enough depth. So in order to help I would like to ask ISH:

What parts of basketball history interest you? What are some blind spots that you wish there was more information on. or something to be expanded on? Anything would be pretty helpful.

It's kind of pointless to say this because you are not familiar with the level of work involved with each different topics (e.g., some have much more information available).

Personally, I think the transformation of the sport from the 70's till the present time is the most "relevant" historical conversation you could provide us with. A behind the looking glass account of how the league progressed from somewhat relevant to ingrained in our society.

Areas to consider (chronologically): Bird, Magic, Jordan, Media, globalization, Iverson, Internet, Kobe, China, Contracts, Television Deals, Social Media

Tangential areas to consider: Race, target audience, commissioners, rules, players interactions with fans etc.

Lensanity
08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
You are actually an idiot if you don't write about game 6 of the 2002 WCF.

DeuceWallaces
08-28-2015, 12:21 PM
I think the racial issues are probably most compelling for a high level paper.

Comparative integration of the NBA vs. NCAA with US Civil Rights progress as the backdrop.

Or for an even broader scope, comparative integration across all sports with a focus on the NBA and the challenges they faced with a sport more central to African-Americans.

Bird vs Magic, the white superstar, and the struggle of Stern moving the league out of the early 80's cocaine and drug issues.

Building on that, the struggle of marketing black stars to white America, while juxtaposed to the NFL's ease with star white quarterbacks, but contrasting that with the global success of the NBA into Asian markets where the NFL has struggled mightily.

CeltsGarlic
08-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Rafel Alston adiction to visit ISH everyday

Timmy D for MVP
08-28-2015, 02:59 PM
I have explored the idea of writing a paper that uses basketball as a jump off point to examine racial issues. I feel it's the obvious subject, but interesting nonetheless.

I have also considered trying to find a topic within the globalization of basketball, and why that of all games has exploded around the world.

The suggestion of the 3-point line is very very interesting. I have a couple weeks to mull it over so I'll take into consideration my options in this topic and in a couple others.

I appreciate the input guys. :cheers:

arkain
08-28-2015, 04:05 PM
A few ideas:

Evolution of the basketball shoe from an article of clothing to a social and economic powerhouse.

Growth of the NBA brand outside of the USA: The cause and effect

The origins of the Harlem Globetrotters

9erempiree
08-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Instead of giving OP topics why don't you guys look for these threads and link them so he can copy and paste.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-28-2015, 04:10 PM
I personally think a College Football research paper would be a lot more fun. Talk about the dynasties over the decades. The penalties some programs have received. The controversies, etc.

Wrote a freshman year paper for a English seminar course about proposing a college playoff for football (before it changed of course). Professor loved the idea and actually helped me write it because she was apparently a huge football fan. I think she went to a D 1 football school, that's why.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-28-2015, 04:12 PM
A few ideas:

Evolution of the basketball shoe from an article of clothing to a social and economic powerhouse.

Growth of the NBA brand outside of the USA: The cause and effect

The origins of the Harlem Globetrotters

Of the list (all great ideas), I think the bold option would be the best option. Could easily be a 20 page paper.

DeuceWallaces
08-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Of the list (all great ideas), I think the bold option would be the best option. Could easily be a 20 page paper.

That's an indication you need to be more focused with your approach.

Dirk Mcwilson
04-09-2021, 08:16 AM
Hey, I am new here, if you are looking for Basketball Topics for a Research Paper you may find some companies such as https://customessayorder.com/write-my-assignment that can help you with your issues.

Manny98
04-09-2021, 08:53 AM
I'm planning to write a 5000 word essay on the Cavs 3-1 comeback vs the Warriors

Hmu if you need any tips on how to write a research paper

Jasper
04-11-2021, 10:11 AM
pete merringer would be a good story line /

but my fav is rebounding - history will have some real characters for you

Lebron23
04-15-2021, 02:00 PM
The history of the 3point line. Why is was added, the distance differences/changed and how it worked in different leagues... NCAA, ABA, NBA, Fiba...

The basics are here but seems like a topic you could get 20 pages from easy and be interested in (Id be interested in reading deeper into how ABA used it as a marketing tool vs the NBA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

This one

Daveied
05-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Sports topics are always relevant for writing research papers. I would write about the development and evolution of basketball.

Daveied
05-19-2021, 08:10 AM
If I try to explain this in more detail then I was recently looking for a service where I will also be helped to choose a topic and I read a review about Paperhelp.org on the service (https://essayservicescanner.com/paperhelp-org-review/) where reviews are written. And there I was advised to choose the topic "Development of basketball and historical figures." It turned out cool work, I defended it for a high score and won the prize for it.

painsad
11-17-2021, 11:08 PM
The Friday Night Funkin (https://fridaynightfunkin.io/friday-night-funkin) challenges your rhythm. The game will ask you to press a key at a specific time: the screen will show which key to press and the game will score for both a specific time and a shorter time.

Lakers Legend#32
11-20-2021, 10:10 PM
Real research papers are not done on basketball.

Nanners
08-24-2022, 06:18 AM
You should write about the fact that JR smith is the most underrated and under appreciated player in NBA history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGT1dQHEd7E

My team mates be like "no no no... yesss"