PDA

View Full Version : Better Athlete: Lebron vs MJ

HighFlyer23
08-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Who is superior?

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Neither is superior. two different types of athletes with different strong points

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Honestly though I think prime Lebron is the most athletic specimen in NBA history. 265-270, the fastest player in the league, and regularly getting his head even shoulders to rim level. The downside of his mass is he isn't as quick accelerating, but once he gets going, it's game over.

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 10:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePx7oDRA_E

1:25

lefthook00
08-29-2015, 11:01 PM
You know, I used to think MJ was more athletic than LBJ, he still is in quite a few areas, quickness, stamina(best in history), but overall, man LBJ is just too much of a physical force...

The thing is, I don't even think LeBron has lived up to his athletic potential, guys like MJ, Kobe, Magic, etc. maxed theirs out. Imagine LeBron trying to dunk on everyone all the time like a young MJ, and being more aggressive with his body from the very beginning of his career, it would be insane.

That being said, I think a young Shaq is even more of a specimen than LeBron.

1) Shaq
2) Wilt
3a) LeBron
3b) Jordan

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 11:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow28cv1fvhE

3:22

Lethal first step, but not quite MJ quick. This is because Lebron is so heavy compared to Mike. There's a 50 pound difference between them at their athletic peaks.

ralph_i_el
08-29-2015, 11:02 PM
inb4 3ball wall of text

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Lebron is essentially the Shaq of perimeter players in both impact and athleticism

He's an unstoppable force in some aspects, but he has glaring weaknesses just like Shaq. Put them in the right situation, and they flourish.

CarlosBoozer
08-29-2015, 11:09 PM
inb4 3ball thesis paper

DonDadda59
08-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Honestly though I think prime Lebron is the most athletic specimen in NBA history.

Shaq.

You know, I used to think MJ was more athletic than LBJ, he still is in quite a few areas, quickness, stamina(best in history), but overall, man LBJ is just too much of a physical force...

Havlicek (https://youtu.be/JiOsgv-pKX8?t=1m20s) was literally a freak when it came to stamina/endurance. He had abnormal lung capacity and heart rate.

Carbine
08-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Better athlete is LeBron. He's freakish at his height/weight.

Better basketball athlete is MJ though. The athletic traits that matter most in basketball like quickness, foot speed, hand size (yes this is a physical trait) lateral agility, hang time, body control.....MJ had that all over LeBron.

I think LeBron is faster in a straight line and stronger, although playing strength is probably not that big of a gap. Jordan played much stronger than his build and LeBron doesn't play as strong as his build.

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 11:14 PM
It's close. Hard to compare a perimeter player to a center athletically

sdot_thadon
08-29-2015, 11:14 PM
I dunno they both have their advantages, when lebron was younger his stamina was freakish for a few years, just as young mj was too. I thinks Lebron's athleticism in his body is less likely to ever be duplicated though.

GIF REACTION
08-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Lebron was built to be a tight end.

Imagine him when he gets going

Prometheus
08-30-2015, 12:26 AM
LeBron James is a more athletic human. He would probably, in most sports, have the natural advantage over Jordan.

Michael Jordan was a more athletic basketball player. His athletic gifts were more well-suited to the game they both dedicated their lives to.

This gave MJ the natural advantage over LBJ, which worked together with his far superior competitive mind to make him a much better basketball player than LeBron will ever be.

Rocketswin2013
08-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Imagine LeBron trying to dunk on everyone all the time like a young MJ, and being more aggressive with his body from the very beginning of his career, it would be insane.
You must've missed '04 - '10....

SamuraiSWISH
08-30-2015, 12:34 AM
All around? LeBron.
Basketball Applicable? MJ.

ShawkFactory
08-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Lebron might be the freakiest athlete that we've ever seen. Jordan translated it better obviously but it'll be a long time before we see a guy as big as Lebron move the way he does.

Especially in 2009/2010...it was scary how amazing of a specimen that dude was. It was like a school bus going 100 mph.

Vaniiiia
08-30-2015, 01:14 AM
Lebron might be the freakiest athlete that we've ever seen. Jordan translated it better obviously but it'll be a long time before we see a guy as big as Lebron move the way he does.

Especially in 2009/2010...it was scary how amazing of a specimen that dude was. It was like a school bus going 100 mph.
http://www.michaelthemaven.com/images/content/ACF83BA.jpg

inclinerator
08-30-2015, 01:21 AM
lebron edges mj when u factor in durability

FKAri
08-30-2015, 01:58 AM
LeBron James is a more athletic human. He would probably, in most sports, have the natural advantage over Jordan.

Michael Jordan was a more athletic basketball player. His athletic gifts were more well-suited to the game they both dedicated their lives to.

This gave MJ the natural advantage over LBJ, which worked together with his far superior competitive mind to make him a much better basketball player than LeBron will ever be.

This.

MJ's a better bball athlete while Lebron's better overall.

Cold soul
08-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Lebron could be argued as freakish athlete to ever play in NBA.

Cold soul
08-30-2015, 02:25 AM
All around? LeBron.
Basketball Applicable? MJ.

Well said. :applause:

eeeeeebro
08-30-2015, 11:08 PM
i am sorry but jordan is way faster than lebron... he never took a 3 cause he was an attacker he would get his freethrows

eeeeeebro
08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLfcJhJ9wc

eeeeeebro
08-30-2015, 11:12 PM
also someone needs to choke that dude that says shit after lebron scores

HighFlyer23
08-30-2015, 11:16 PM
i am sorry but jordan is way faster than lebron... he never took a 3 cause he was an attacker he would get his freethrows

He is quicker, but at full speed its hard to say that he is faster than Lebron at full speed

Everyone says Lebron is the most athletic player in NBA history but MJ has him beat in some aspects ... overall I'd still say Lebron is more athletic

eeeeeebro
08-30-2015, 11:26 PM
you get michael at full speed your going to have a freethrow line dunk

HighFlyer23
08-30-2015, 11:33 PM
you get michael at full speed your going to have a freethrow line dunk

Lebron has done that in game

ClipperRevival
08-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Overall, I would give the edge to Bron. The game had never seen a guy quite like him. As a matter of fact, I don't know if the world has ever seen someone like him.

But I think MJ's physical traits were perfect for basketball. First off, the perfect wing player size. 6'6" and 200 lbs. That's perfect. Then you add in the functional traits that matter in basketball on a play by play basis like off the charts quickness, fluidity of movement, agility, ability to change directions quickly, huge hands, amazing first step, ability to explode off one or two feet, explosive off the floor and coordinated as hell and moved like a guard.

If I had to pick one to play bball, I would take MJ. Bron's huge frame and size made his iso game against set defenders much easier to guard because he simply lacked the initial suddenness to lose defenders. He really needs to get a head of steam to really be unguardable. MJ's traits made him devastating in transition, against set defenders on iso and playing off the ball.

plowking
08-30-2015, 11:49 PM
Bron is slightly too heavy for everything to be completely on point for basketball. Saying that though, I think he is the better athlete.

Kevin Durant in my opinion is extremely underrated as an athlete. I think he is right up there with them given his insane speed, and agility for a 6'11 guy. He is more agile than Bron has ever been, and I guess that is due to the weight difference.

90sgoat
08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
What do you mean better athlete? For what, Olympic Decathlon?

Athletes are good for different things no?

Lebron is stronger yes, but not by much.

MJ is much more coordinated.

MJ and Lebron top speed probably the same, maybe slightly more to Lebron.

MJ jumps higher from less windup and has much superior body control.

MJ has superior endurance, never cramped up or wore himself out.

Overall I think MJ is the better athlete, Lebron would probably beat him in some running games and might beat him in some strength games, but MJ would beat him in long distance, high jumping, all kinds of co-ordinated games etc.

Lebron is built more like a rugby or football player really.

ralph_i_el
08-31-2015, 08:47 AM
MJ was undoubtedly quicker and more fluid.

LeBron has 50 lbs on him. His quickness relative to his size is freakish. LeBron just averaged like 14 rebounds in the finals

Athleticism in basketball has to be judged relative to length and strength. Nate Robinson is a more freakish athlete than almost anyone in terms of pure quickness and leaping ability, but he's doing it at 5'10"

This idea is what makes Durant so much of a freak. Once in a decade you'll get someone with his combo of length and quickness.

Dragonyeuw
08-31-2015, 08:48 AM
I'd have to echo the sentiments that as an overall athlete, Lebron is probably better in the sense that you could probably plug him into highly athletic sport and he'd do well. But in terms of athletic traits relevant to basketball, quickness, co-ordination, explosion off one or two legs which really, are all things that MJ is superior in. I also don't think that Lebron uses his strength as well as he could; since 2012 his post game has improved, but he could really maul guys down there if he really wanted to make that aspect of his game a true strength, as opposed to just good enough to not be a glaring weakness.

90sgoat
08-31-2015, 09:02 AM
I'd have to echo the sentiments that as an overall athlete, Lebron is probably better in the sense that you could probably plug him into highly athletic sport and he'd do well. But in terms of athletic traits relevant to basketball, quickness, co-ordination, explosion off one or two legs which really, are all things that MJ is superior in. I also don't think that Lebron uses his strength as well as he could; since 2012 his post game has improved, but he could really maul guys down there if he really wanted to make that aspect of his game a true strength, as opposed to just good enough to not be a glaring weakness.

Lebron can only bully smaller players. When is the last time you saw Lebron post up or guard a power forward or center?

24-Inch_Chrome
08-31-2015, 09:11 AM
http://www.michaelthemaven.com/images/content/ACF83BA.jpg

:applause:

Bo >>> LeBron/Jordan.

LeBron is the better athlete, Jordan is the better basketball athlete.

plowking
08-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Lebron can only bully smaller players. When is the last time you saw Lebron post up or guard a power forward or center?

When is the last time you saw any smaller player post up a bigger player? It doesn't happen very often if you're smart. You use your advantages.

90sgoat
08-31-2015, 09:43 AM
When is the last time you saw any smaller player post up a bigger player? It doesn't happen very often if you're smart. You use your advantages.

Yes, but that's the thing, why do people praise Lebron as some sort of athletic freak when he isn't even capable of guarding and posting up someone like David West.

When is the last time I saw a smaller player post up a larger? Well, there was this guy called Charles Barkley who was 6-6 and led the league in 2point percentage for about 5 years straight and was a monster on the block against much larger players.

Charles Barkley is every bit the freak Lebron was, could outrebound and double-jump over centers.

Lebron is 6-8, Barkley was 6-6 and could pull down 12-14 rebounds with ease.

What exactly is so special about Lebron?

He really is only an athletic power forward trying to be a point guard. If he played in the 90s he wouldn't be able to pound the ball because of hand check, he'd have to dribble back to basket from the 3point line, like Magic and other big guards. That would take his ability to speed up away.

Lebron simply wouldn't be able to play as he does in the 90s. I would guess if he played small forward he would average something like 20-8-6. If he played power forward and could become tought, which is a big if, he could put up something like 25-10-6. Lebron < Barkley.

plowking
08-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Yes, but that's the thing, why do people praise Lebron as some sort of athletic freak when he isn't even capable of guarding and posting up someone like David West.

When is the last time I saw a smaller player post up a larger? Well, there was this guy called Charles Barkley who was 6-6 and led the league in 2point percentage for about 5 years straight and was a monster on the block against much larger players.

Charles Barkley is every bit the freak Lebron was, could outrebound and double-jump over centers.

Lebron is 6-8, Barkley was 6-6 and could pull down 12-14 rebounds with ease.

What exactly is so special about Lebron?

He really is only an athletic power forward trying to be a point guard. If he played in the 90s he wouldn't be able to pound the ball because of hand check, he'd have to dribble back to basket from the 3point line, like Magic and other big guards. That would take his ability to speed up away.

Lebron simply wouldn't be able to play as he does in the 90s. I would guess if he played small forward he would average something like 20-8-6. If he played power forward and could become tought, which is a big if, he could put up something like 25-10-6. Lebron < Barkley.

I've never seen someone write a post so long and be wrong about everything. Congrats.

scandisk_
08-31-2015, 09:52 AM
bron could really excel in football.

f0und
08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
plug them both into a wide range of sports and jordan would find more success. the only sports that lebron would be better in are the ones that rely more on size and brute strength. but 75% of sports(i just made that number up) require more than just size and strength.

football: bron
wrestling: bron
basketball: mj(obviously)
hockey: mj
soccer: mj
baseball: mj
tennis: mj
skateboarding: mj
surfing: mj
chess: mj
motocross: mj
volleyball: bron
boxing: mj(p4p)
shot put: bron
m1dget tossing: bron
monopoly: mj
hot dog eating: bron
DDR: mj

OldSchoolBBall
08-31-2015, 12:54 PM
lebron edges mj when u factor in durability

Never understand why people act like Lebron is more durable than Jordan. Jordan is one of the most durable players and greatest ironmen of all time.

Jordan played 9 full seasons of 82 games, Lebron has played NONE.

Jordan has 11 seasons of 80+ games, Lebron has 2.

Jordan played 3 straight 82 game seasons plus extended playoffs at age 33-35, plus another 82 game season at age 40.

Lebron is not "more durable" than Jordan in any way, shape, or form. This is not to say that Lebron isn't durable - he is - but stop the crazy talk.

Marchesk
08-31-2015, 02:57 PM
https://boknowshockey.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/cropped-boknows.jpg

plowking
08-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Never understand why people act like Lebron is more durable than Jordan. Jordan is one of the most durable players and greatest ironmen of all time.

Jordan played 3 straight 82 game seasons plus extended playoffs at age 33-35, plus another 82 game season at age 40.

Lebron is not "more durable" than Jordan in any way, shape, or form. This is not to say that Lebron isn't durable - he is - but stop the crazy talk.

So arbitrary. You act as if the Cavs and Heat resting their best players in the last 3 or 4 games somehow plays a part in durability. :oldlol:

He is more durable. Deal with it. Out of total games available to play, he has missed less.

OldSchoolBBall
08-31-2015, 08:53 PM
So arbitrary. You act as if the Cavs and Heat resting their best players in the last 3 or 4 games somehow plays a part in durability. :oldlol:

He is more durable. Deal with it. Out of total games available to play, he has missed less.

lol @ this

plowking
08-31-2015, 08:57 PM
lol @ this

lol all you want. You have a guy who hasn't had a major injury to this point in his career, and you had one that has. Easy choice.

Round Mound
08-31-2015, 10:49 PM
I still dont understand why doesnt Lebron bully more people in the way that Charles Barkley and Karl Malone did.

305Baller
08-31-2015, 10:50 PM
LeBron. Jordan is neither the GOAT athlete nor the GOAT shooter but he is the GOAT ball player.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-31-2015, 11:00 PM
LeBron is probably the greatest athlete that's played the game. At least in modern times.

The fukkin Bo Jackson of the NBA.

SamuraiSWISH
09-01-2015, 12:21 AM

They're the two most durable players I've ever seen. MJ was obviously more durable mentally and wasn't sitting out games resting. Or asking for seasons to be shortened by the league. Both never really had bad injuries apart from the rare outlier in MJs career when he broke his foot, or his knee woes as a 39 year old coming back from 3 years of inactivity.

Elosha
09-01-2015, 12:25 AM
lol all you want. You have a guy who hasn't had a major injury to this point in his career, and you had one that has. Easy choice.

Both are incredibly durable. Jordan had a freak injury his sophomore year. It didn't effect the rest of his career once he got back in. Other than that the only major injury he had was when he was 39 and injured his knee. Take away those two seasons and you have an absolute iron man.

Lebron is also an iron man, and you are right that some of his missed games are from coaches' decisions resting at the end of the year waiting for the playoffs. (Which, by the way, I don't really agree with, that's not a strategy that the Bulls or anyone in the 90's or 80's really held to, to my knowledge. That's not to say, they went full throttle in the last few games, but Jordan and other stars still put in significant minutes in the last "meaningless" games of the season).

Still Lebron has had more "nagging" injuries year to year than Jordan in comparing their careers. Obviously missing a dozen or so for injuries/to rest last year - his own voluntary decision - is the most recent example. I would expect he may have more of those type of "durability" issues as he gets older, given his weight and the fact that he's noticeably slowed down as far he ages. Not a knock on him, just a fact.

Who's more durable? It's a fair question. Obviously, Jordan has missed more overall games due to injury, but almost all of those games came in one season in 85-86 and at the tail end of his career. Year by year, he's slightly more consistently durable than Lebron, and I expect the difference will become more pronounced as Lebron ages. Jordan's body type is probably more conducive than Lebron's to playing a full season during the latter parts of their career. This is primarily because his lighter frame doesn't take put as large a strain and physical pounding on his joints.

Both are incredibly durable and it's basically a wash. For my money, if Lebron continues to rest and/or miss games for the latter state of his career, as the trend seems to be, I'd have to favor Jordan. Better to miss lots of games in one season to a freak accident (which only affects that one season), than to spread the damage out missing games to injuries/rest over a number of seasons. Also, can't discount the possibility that Lebron could also suffer a season-ending or even career altering injury a la Kobe.

Elosha
09-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Both are incredibly durable. Jordan had a freak injury his sophomore year. It didn't effect the rest of his career once he got back in. Other than that the only major injury he had was when he was 39 and injured his knee. Take away those two seasons and you have an absolute iron man.

Lebron is also an iron man, and you are right that some of his missed games are from coaches' decisions resting at the end of the year waiting for the playoffs. (Which, by the way, I don't really agree with, that's not a strategy that the Bulls or anyone in the 90's or 80's really held to, to my knowledge. That's not to say, they went full throttle in the last few games, but Jordan and other stars still put in significant minutes in the last "meaningless" games of the season).

Still Lebron has had more "nagging" injuries year to year than Jordan in comparing their careers. Obviously missing a dozen or so for injuries/to rest last year - his own voluntary decision - is the most recent example. I would expect he may have more of those type of "durability" issues as he gets older, given his weight and the fact that he's noticeably slowed down as far he ages. Not a knock on him, just a fact.

Who's more durable? It's a fair question. Obviously, Jordan has missed more overall games due to injury, but almost all of those games came in one season in 85-86 and at the tail end of his career. Year by year, he's slightly more consistently durable than Lebron, and I expect the difference will become more pronounced as Lebron ages. Jordan's body type is probably more conducive than Lebron's to playing a full season during the latter parts of their career. This is primarily because his lighter frame doesn't take put as large a strain and physical pounding on his joints.

Both are incredibly durable and it's basically a wash. For my money, if Lebron continues to rest and/or miss games for the latter state of his career, as the trend seems to be, I'd have to favor Jordan. Better to miss lots of games in one season to a freak accident (which only affects that one season), than to spread the damage out missing games to injuries/rest over a number of seasons. Also, can't discount the possibility that Lebron could also suffer a season-ending or even career altering injury a la Kobe.

So since I responded to the question of durability, (and I'm surprised to see no response to it) I wanted to add a few other points. I agree to some extent with those who say Lebron might be the overall better athlete and Jordan might be a better basketball athlete. What Lebron can do from an athletic standpoint at his size and weight is unprecedented. I've never seen anyone as fast, and as good of a leaper at his size and weight, and his level of coordination and agility for a man his size is remarkable. He's really underrated a bit in that respect.

Jordan was a very wiry and strong player for his frame at playing weight between 190-220. But he's still an order of magnitude smaller than Lebron and even though he played with an enormous amount of basketball strength, I'd suspect Lebron would have him beat in the weight room. I remember Bob Costas reported he saw Jordan benching 300 pounds in the weight room during the second three peat, which is pretty impressive if true. However, at 260-270 and with the size his arms and frame, if Lebron can't bench quite a bit more than 300, I'd be very surprised. Same thing with any weight lifting exercise, his 40-50 pound weight advantage will give him a natural edge. That would probably translate to Lebron being a superior football player in many aspects, as well as other contact sports.

Overall speed is very close. I don't think people realize just how fast Jordan was in his physical prime. But go back and watch the videos of Jordan going coast to coast, he is an absolute blur. Of course, Lebron's blazing speed is well known but if Jordan were playing today, he'd be just as well known for his speed, as well as everything else. Part of emphasis on Lebron's speed is not really just how fast he is, but how surprising it is that a man his size can move that quickly. In that respect, Lebron's speed may be a little more emphasized than a smaller player who we might more easily "expect" to be that fast.

Jumping ability has been discussed ad naseum. I'll just say they are both great. Jordan might be the more versatile leaper, in that he's great off one or two feet and comfortable jumping in a variety of ways and positions that Lebron doesn't usually demonstrate. But it terms of absolute vertical, Lebron may have a slight edge off one feet over Jordan, and when you add his height and reach advantage, objectively speaking he might be able to touch a few inches higher than Jordan could. So each player has their respective advantages, each are transcendent dunkers/leapers, and each could dunk at will.

The biggest difference to me is in overall quickness, agility, and maneuverability. Now Lebron is no slouch, he's very quick in the half court for a man his size and as I said, he really has far greater coordination and agility than he gets credit for. Watch some of his layup highlights; the way he twists, contorts, maneuvers, and generally makes beautiful shots is a work of art. Some people say Lebron is "ugly" to watch, but I absolutely disagree. He has a great level of finesse, and is just as about as graceful as a man his size and weight can be.

That said, he's still not on Jordan's level. The one area that Lebron may be the most "ordinary" is first/second steps, and Jordan clearly outclasses him here. It is true that Lebron often needs a pick to get his man off of him, and it's quite true that he can be somewhat limited by a quick and sufficiently big defender. Jordan didn't struggle in that regard nearly as much. Likewise, as agile and as coordinated as Lebron is, he's not as creative of a shotmaker and not quite as good at mid-air improvisation as Jordan. Imo, the only one who approaches MJ in that respect is Kobe.

Quickness and agility are overall more basketball related skills. Lebron and Jordan are both superb athletes with different but related strengths. Those of us who are privileged enough to watch both of their careers can count our blessings.