PDA

View Full Version : why does kobe keep pushing "i am old school" narrative himself?

Rose'sACL
09-02-2015, 03:19 AM
O

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 03:22 AM
The "next Kobe" is obviously Russell Westbrook.

raprap
09-02-2015, 03:23 AM
He's a weird dude.

iTare
09-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Colorado hopes not.

AintNoSunshine
09-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Where he's actually just an introvert who's socially awkward because he's overly self concious. He felt the need to justify why he has no friends in the league so he claims he's just "old school". Too obvious.

Rose'sACL
09-02-2015, 03:37 AM
westbrook is very social. he probably has a lot of friends. that is very unlike kobe.

i don't even hold it against kobe that he has no friends in the nba but i don't like it when he constantly tries to push this tough guy persona in the media himself. this is like lebron saying that he only came back to the cavs because he wanted to come back home. i don't buy that.

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 03:41 AM
westbrook is very social. he probably has a lot of friends. that is very unlike kobe.

i don't even hold it against kobe that he has no friends in the nba but i don't like it when he constantly tries to push this tough guy persona in the media himself. this is like lebron saying that he only came back to the cavs because he wanted to come back home. i don't buy that.

Agreed. But I see similarities in play style; aggression, "me first mentality", chucking, but also great ability.

Off court Kobe always was a very weird dude. He`s so smiling and social in some settings, but then you hear (from him) that he has no friends. The rape case. The tantrum he threw last year in pratice. So forced (pun intended).

It`s like he`s still trying to be MJ, or MJ like, but still he can`t quite pull it off. He doesn`t have the GOAT aura, so when he comes up with this stuff he seems weirder, again very forced.

raprap
09-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Agreed. But I see similarities in play style; aggression, "me first mentality", chucking, but also great ability.

Off court Kobe always was a very weird dude. He`s so smiling and social in some settings, but then you hear (from him) that he has no friends. The rape case. The tantrum he threw last year in pratice. So forced (pun intended).

It`s like he`s still trying to be MJ, or MJ like, but still he can`t quite pull it off. He doesn`t have the GOAT aura, so when he comes up with this stuff he seems weirder, again very forced.
Lol true

rmt
09-02-2015, 03:55 AM
Does Kobe really expect any sympathy from Shaq when the police report has Kobe "trying to snitch" on Shaq?

NZStreetBaller
09-02-2015, 04:00 AM
Kobe seemed like a friendly dude when he was mic'd up fro. Spike lee. What about pau and fisher. They are kobes friends arent they??

Horatio33
09-02-2015, 04:10 AM
He's got such a phony personality. He's a loner at heart but trues to twist it that he's a Lone Wolf/Alpha Male. On the Lakers Derek Fisher was the real leader of those teams. Just because Kobe scored the most points doesn't mean he's the number one leader. Also look at the staged "it's halftime I'm walking down the tunnel here come my wife and kids I'm such a family man!" Situations.

sportjames23
09-02-2015, 04:25 AM
Colorado hopes not.

DAMMIT MAN :oldlol:

zizozain
09-02-2015, 04:45 AM
old school players care about winning.
your hero cares about stats.

old school players focus.
your hero dances on the court.

old school players are mentally tough.
your hero is mentally weak and cracks under pressure.

old school players play like a man.
your hero flopping for a living.

old school players are class act.
your hero is a classles arrogant, and spoiled brat.

old school players play beautiful basketball.
your hero's best move is Crab dribbl.

need more?

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 04:58 AM

need more?

Class act? Rape case?
Not caring about stats? There has never been a more "my stats" huy that Kobe (besides Lebron).
Mentally tough? Have you checked the stats on FG% at the end of games? :lol

I`ll give Kobe the nod for a more aesthetic game than Bron, but a passing game is also beautiful. In which Kobe never excelled.

HOoopCityJones
09-02-2015, 05:40 AM
OP, who's head is Kobe living more rent free in , yours or JT's?

Quickening
09-02-2015, 06:33 AM
It is obvious that Kobe just severely lacks interpersonal skills, I don't know why that is. Its not really a big deal, lots of guys are like that. It is strange how he tries to play it off as being old school etc though when it's just because he feels awkward in social settings.

Mr Feeny
09-02-2015, 06:52 AM
I think that he wants to think of himself as a tough guy.

Vaniiiia
09-02-2015, 07:06 AM
It's becoming common knowledge around here that Kobe has a fake personality. Nice to see I've made a positive impact around here.

I'll keep posting.

90sgoat
09-02-2015, 08:48 AM

need more?

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

What else can be said. Kobe grew up while the NBA was still a man's game. Now the NBA is like a rec league for really spoiled big babies. Someone like Steph Curry, grew up extremely privilegded. Rubbing shoulders with the children of billionaires. Lebron too, guy has been coddled since grade school, made him such an unbearable narcissist. Lol players today make more on the bench than MJ made as the world best player for most of his career.

Such a weak era, I really think there would be a market for a competing league now, with tougher rules and not led by the nose by spoiled brat players. Even if the quality of play was 'worse'.

90sgoat
09-02-2015, 08:50 AM
It is obvious that Kobe just severely lacks interpersonal skills, I don't know why that is. Its not really a big deal, lots of guys are like that. It is strange how he tries to play it off as being old school etc though when it's just because he feels awkward in social settings.

Nah Kobe is European introvert. He would fit in fine with other Europeans, why do you think he worked so well with Pau Gasol? He isn't from the hood, a sophisticated worldly dude.

theaussieguy
09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Nah Kobe is European introvert. He would fit in fine with other Europeans, why do you think he worked so well with Pau Gasol? He isn't from the hood, a sophisticated worldly dude.

exactly, in the words of 50 cent. he "aint no second class n!gga"

BigNBAfan
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM

WTF

this guy's been in front of cameras 75% of his life, never once have i felt he gave off a awkward social setting.

KembaWalker
09-02-2015, 09:03 AM
WTF

this guy's been in front of cameras 75% of his life, never once have i felt he gave off a awkward social setting.

lmao this, Kobe just oozes charisma in front of the cameras

keep-itreal
09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
because Kobe wants to be like Jordan.

BoutPractice
09-02-2015, 09:17 AM
There are many introverts who are awkward in social settings yet incredibly comfortable in front of cameras. Johnny Carson comes to mind. It's particularly common among people who work in show business

Vaniiiia
09-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Almost as if he's putting on a character.

Mr Feeny
09-02-2015, 10:44 AM
It's becoming common knowledge around here that Kobe has a fake personality. Nice to see I've made a positive impact around here.

I'll keep posting.

Good job, new poster! Takes courage to speak the truth around here:applause:
Keep posting...

rmt
09-02-2015, 10:47 AM

need more?

Class act? Being charged for rape and paying off the woman before trial - wonder how many class acts have that on their resume. More like FAKE act and pale imitation of MJ.

90sgoat
09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Class act? Being charged for rape and paying off the woman before trial - wonder how many class acts have that on their resume. More like FAKE act and pale imitation of MJ.

It's embarassing that Kobe haters keep pushing this shit agenda. That ho was nothing but a ho who got mad she didnt get extra payment for taking it up the backdoor.

Don't you think any other NBA player bang these ho's every road trip? They all do it and they often pay.

Don't be a hater.

Quickening
09-02-2015, 11:58 AM
It's embarassing that Kobe haters keep pushing this shit agenda. That ho was nothing but a ho who got mad she didnt get extra payment for taking it up the backdoor.

Don't you think any other NBA player bang these ho's every road trip? They all do it and they often pay.

Don't be a hater.

And how any other superstars have been accused of rape, and had to pay the victim off whilst saying they could see why she thought it was rape.

ProfessorMurder
09-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Because this is what he does. He makes something up and does it until dumb people believe it. Like how all the people on here say he's a top 10 player. Say it until people stop fighting it.

Examples:

Gives himself a nickname until it sticks.

Starts 'intense gerbil face' 14 years into his career.

KirbyPls
09-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Because this is what he does. He makes something up and does it until dumb people believe it. Like how all the people on here say he's a top 10 player. Say it until people stop fighting it.

Examples:

:lol :roll: :lol

Quickening
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Examples:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/51/09/ec/5109ecdaeaf435e5b29bb35560c22f3d.jpg

DonDadda59
09-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Same reason he gave himself the nickname the Black Mamba. No one is more in love with the myth of Kobe Bryant than Kobe Bryant.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/51/09/ec/5109ecdaeaf435e5b29bb35560c22f3d.jpg

That's copyright infringement :kobe:

sd3035
09-02-2015, 01:04 PM

As far as basketball mentality goes I agree, guys like Jordan, Kobe, Iverson, and Westbrook are/were fierce competitors who cannot be broken

Dr Seuss
09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Leave it to a bunch of internet posters to denounce what Kobe believes about himself, and probably the rest of the NBA and vets, as well. But i'll take your guys sane and rational word over his

20Four
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Leave it to a bunch of internet posters to denounce what Kobe believes about himself, and probably the rest of the NBA and vets, as well. But i'll take your guys sane and rational word over his
lol real talk....like kobe gives 2 shits on what these peasants think about him....lol

MoBe1Kanobi
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I understand Kobe's pain

I grew up a Kobe Stan

Kobe grew up a Jordan Stan

I've been a Kobe fan since I was 8 years old in 98
I literally grew up watching kobe everyday
His game, interviews, commercials, training video since I hooped until college

I've had countless people accuse me of biting Kobe's swag down to his actual walk

but it's like this

when you grow up watching something repeatedly over and over you're going to internalize everything about it whether subconsciously or consciously so even though I've had hundreds of people inform me of my similarities to Kobe aesthetically I was always conscious of the fact that I probably do take a lot of things from him either in basketball or in talking because since I've watched him so much that in my own mind that has become the proper way to respond (since my preloaded example on how to respond has been groomed to be kobe to the media influence and level of exposure to me as a young child

also I think due to the fact that I'm East African and many East Africans share facial features extremely similar to Kobe that this comparison becomes even more unavoidable and I have to work even harder to avoid Kobe comparisons in terms of overall swag

also I rock a mini fro but tapered and so it starts to look even more aesthetically similar so a lot of people treat me like I'm literally having plastic surgery to look like Kobe since I already have many of the basic facial features for it

but it's not fair
I have tons of friends who are also huge Kobe fan but they avoid the comparisons since they don't look anything remotely similar to Kobe even though they try to make some of his shots but they don't have his jump shot form like I do since they don't work on their game to have a beautiful looking form so they get to avoid the Kobe comparisons and look original while I'm looking like a biter but I am much more effective than them on the court

also due to me being East African there is a certain level of disconnect that I have with the black community in America of which I associate with most closely so even though I am one of them I am also not one of them in a similar way that Kobe is due to him growing up overseas even though I wasn't born in America but there is some what of the same effect so I do understand his level of feeling distant towards a certain denomination of black people regardless of how integrated he is as a black person in black America

so basically what I'm trying to say is everybody wants to be like their heroes but since some people actually don't aesthetically resemble their heroes they get praised as originals what's like LeBron and how he avoided Jordan comparisons despite wearing 23matter whereas Kobe can never do this

so naturally whenever people make Kobe comparisons to me I naturally avoid them much like how Kobe is forced to avoid MJ comparisons because they create such an awkward situation to look like a biter when all you're doing is trying to follow the best example you have

at the end of the day it's really about just being a huge fan of the greatest but I don't know watch me get flamed now

3ball
09-02-2015, 01:25 PM
O’Neal asked Bryant if he saw the “next Kobe” out there.

“Man, nah, I’m kind of old-school, man,” Bryant said. “You have certain players that have that aggressiveness and that mentality. It’s tough to tell. It’s a different generation. I grew up playing against Michael and [Gary Payton] and all these stone-cold assassins. John Stockton and all these guys. So I had that mentality. You don’t really see that kind of mentality around the league nowadays. Everybody is buddy-buddy and don’t want to hurt each other’s [feelings].”

nuff said.

in today's game, you never see killer mentality and guys ready to sacrifice friendship to win.. as professional athletes, that's what fans want to see.. the cumbaya attitude, friendliness and giggly demeanor that today's players have with each other reminds me of teenage girls in hs - this makes it seem more staged like wwe rather than a battle on the hardcourt.

also, by calling himself old-school, kobe can disassociate himself from the non-physical, easy 3-and-D style/shot allocation of today's game.. By being old school instead, Kobe can align himself closer to the higher physicality and tougher midrange shot allocation of the 80's, when the 3-point shooting didn't exist to make today's screen-roll/drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile.

Btw, Kobe IS old-school... How do you think he is so skilled at the NON 3-and-D areas (off-ball, midrange, iso, post) - you know, the harder stuff that requires superior skill.

Vaniiiia
09-02-2015, 01:30 PM
nuff said.

in today's game, you never see killer mentality and guys ready to sacrifice friendship to win.. as professional athletes, that's what fans want to see.. the cumbaya attitude, friendliness and giggly demeanor that today's players have with each other reminds me of teenage girls in hs - this makes it seem more staged like wwe rather than a battle on the hardcourt.

also, by calling himself old-school, kobe can disassociate himself from the non-physical, easy 3-and-D style/shot allocation of today's game.. By being old school instead, Kobe can align himself closer to the higher physicality and tougher midrange shot allocation of the 80's, when the 3-point shooting didn't exist to make today's screen-roll/drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile.

Btw, Kobe IS old-school... How do you think he is so skilled at the NON 3-and-D areas (off-ball, midrange, iso, post) - you know, the harder stuff that requires superior skill.
We never see it except every single year. Stfu...

Once the game starts they play just as hard as they always have and wanna win just as bad as they always have.

You're delusional if you don't think Westbrook would eat Currys daughters dead fetus in front of his entire family to win a championship.

The attitude still exists, the games are just as competitive if not more than they were in the past. Stfu.

qrich
09-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Examples:

That is the most pathetic shit from any athlete, ever.

I mean, really. You give yourself your own nickname.

Pathetic.

90sgoat
09-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Pathetic.

No, this is much, much more pathetic:

http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1013/nba_g_james2b_395.jpg

HOoopCityJones
09-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Pathetic.

Wtf are you people talking about? How many nicknames did Shaq give himself alone? :biggums:

Superman being the most notable.

Or how about King James? I hope you honestly don't believe people just started calling Lebron that because he was a King, no one pushed that narrative more than his own entourage when he was coming into the League from St. Vincent-St. Mary.

As for the league being weak, maybe you weren't paying attention but Shaq and his co host brought that up to Kobe during their interview on Shaq's podcast, it's not like he just started ranting about his era being tougher, EVERYONE who was drafted from the early 80's to mid 90's says this shit. Literally everyone, from KG, Paul Pierce, Gary Payton, Barkley, Reggie, MJ, Shaq etc.

Mr. Jabbar
09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
hes clutch
he likes to take the last shot
hes a competitor
he doesn't collude
he doesn't take paycuts

definitely not from this era :applause:

HOoopCityJones
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
hes clutch
he likes to take the last shot
hes a competitor
he doesn't collude
he doesn't take paycuts

definitely not from this era :applause:

This. :cheers:

Today's league is the equivalent to Magic Johnson's son.

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 02:53 PM
But but he colluded with Shaq :D

And

Gary Payton
Malone
Pau
Odom
Metta
Nash
Dwight

:cheers:

KembaWalker
09-02-2015, 02:58 PM
But but he colluded with Shaq :D

And

Gary Payton
Malone
Pau
Odom
Metta
Nash
Dwight

:cheers:

Remind me again how many of those players Kobe left his previous season team for

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Remind me again how many of those players Kobe left his previous season team for

No need to leave to collude, dude.

to work with others secretly especially in order to do something illegal or dishonest

T_L_P
09-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Up there with LeBron for most contrived star of the past era.

Rose'sACL
09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
this. i remember how kobe had to tough it out for 7 years for a small market team with no reason to expect a championship in the near future.

We always blame players for leaving bad teams but we don't rank players who played their whole prime on bad teams highly either.

KG is a prime example. he would have won a lot more if he left the wolves during his prime years.

everyone can't be duncan or kobe and land on the perfect team for them.

rmt
09-02-2015, 03:08 PM
lol real talk....like kobe gives 2 shits on what these peasants think about him....lol

On the contrary, Kobe seems intensely concerned with his legacy and how people perceive him (or else why declare that he's "old-school").

Rose'sACL
09-02-2015, 03:12 PM
On the contrary, Kobe seems intensely concerned with his legacy and how people perceive him (or else why declare that he's "old-school").
duncan was asked 2 years ago about how many of today's nba players would last in the 80s and the 90s and he answered that every player in the league would do just as fine in previous eras.

this is how you know that duncan clearly cares about being right than showing that he is tougher than current players because he is older.

warriorfan
09-02-2015, 03:12 PM
AlphaBe is Rent Free

KembaWalker
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
No need to leave to collude, dude.

So everyone has colluded to you, gotcha

AirFederer
09-02-2015, 03:59 PM
So everyone has colluded to you, gotcha
Didn't Wade collude?

Bringing in all stars to your team is colluding.

Hey Yo
09-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Kobe told teams (that weren't the Lakers) not to bother drafting him cause he wouldn't sign with them. Threatened to play overseas instead.

That's not old school. That's straight up being an entitled, spoiled douche bag who thought it was his right to play in the NBA, instead of a privilege.

Demanding a trade publicly is old school?

Demanding better teammates / throwing teammates under the bus publicly is old school?

More worried about getting future endorsements (before even being drafted) than actually playing the game is old school?

What other old school players did all of the above??

MoBe1Kanobi
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I understand Kobe's pain

I grew up a Kobe Stan

Kobe grew up a Jordan Stan

I've been a Kobe fan since I was 8 years old in 98
I literally grew up watching kobe everyday
His game, interviews, commercials, training video since I hooped until college

I've had countless people accuse me of biting Kobe's swag down to his actual walk

but it's like this

when you grow up watching something repeatedly over and over you're going to internalize everything about it whether subconsciously or consciously so even though I've had hundreds of people inform me of my similarities to Kobe aesthetically I was always conscious of the fact that I probably do take a lot of things from him either in basketball or in talking because since I've watched him so much that in my own mind that has become the proper way to respond (since my preloaded example on how to respond has been groomed to be kobe to the media influence and level of exposure to me as a young child

also I think due to the fact that I'm East African and many East Africans share facial features extremely similar to Kobe that this comparison becomes even more unavoidable and I have to work even harder to avoid Kobe comparisons in terms of overall swag

also I rock a mini fro but tapered and so it starts to look even more aesthetically similar so a lot of people treat me like I'm literally having plastic surgery to look like Kobe since I already have many of the basic facial features for it

but it's not fair
I have tons of friends who are also huge Kobe fan but they avoid the comparisons since they don't look anything remotely similar to Kobe even though they try to make some of his shots but they don't have his jump shot form like I do since they don't work on their game to have a beautiful looking form so they get to avoid the Kobe comparisons and look original while I'm looking like a biter but I am much more effective than them on the court

also due to me being East African there is a certain level of disconnect that I have with the black community in America of which I associate with most closely so even though I am one of them I am also not one of them in a similar way that Kobe is due to him growing up overseas even though I wasn't born in America but there is some what of the same effect so I do understand his level of feeling distant towards a certain denomination of black people regardless of how integrated he is as a black person in black America

so basically what I'm trying to say is everybody wants to be like their heroes but since some people actually don't aesthetically resemble their heroes they get praised as originals what's like LeBron and how he avoided Jordan comparisons despite wearing 23matter whereas Kobe can never do this

so naturally whenever people make Kobe comparisons to me I naturally avoid them much like how Kobe is forced to avoid MJ comparisons because they create such an awkward situation to look like a biter when all you're doing is trying to follow the best example you have

at the end of the day it's really about just being a huge fan of the greatest but I don't know watch me get flamed now

so we just gonna act like this goat piece of info wasn't put into this thread?
:coleman:

ImKobe
09-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Kobe has that old-school mentality. He isn't trying to be friends with his competition. He isn't going to be satisfied after one regular season win. He's always looking to win it all, no matter the guys he has around him. He trains while everyone else is sleeping/resting. He is the first guy to arrive to practice and he's the last guy to leave.

He explained the old-school thing in the pod, he isn't trying to be friendly. Just like Mike, he is going to challenge is teammates harder than anyone else so that they would be ready once the game is on.

monkeypox
09-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Does Kobe really expect any sympathy from Shaq when the police report has Kobe "trying to snitch" on Shaq?

You mean the note that was added to the police report several months after the fact, happened in a hallway where he asked if he could talk off the record, and was "accidentally" leaked during the trial? People say all kinds of stuff in private.

houston
09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
kobe being weird like always

Lebron23
09-02-2015, 09:29 PM
The guy thinks highly of himself.

guy
09-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Kind of a weird response. But its such question anyway. Has there ever been a "next" anyone?

20Four
09-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Then why did he team up with Nash, the guy who knocked him out of the playoffs multiple times? :confusedshrug:
That would be like Lebron teaming up with Paul Pierce...
wtf? You have no right to talk after leBRONZE leaves his team in his PRIME to join WADES team....while nash joined the lakers......LOL I guess all that grease from the burgers got to you huh? Sucks to have both your parents crack whores and not give 2 shits about you.....no wonder why you still live at home afraid to go out and see the sun.....seriously I feel bad for you.....50 years old...never talked to a girl or made friends....****......:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

mehyaM24
09-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Kind of a weird response. But its such question anyway. Has there ever been a "next" anyone?

kobe's as "oldschool" as iverson, tmac and vince carter - as in, they're not oldschool.

truthfully there's not much that separates the players, when healthy, if we talk about sheer, unabated impact.

take the lakers first three peat for example.

in 2000, shaq carried one of heaviest burdens in history, right there with hakeem in 1994. his supposed "second best player", kobe, was outscored by multiple players in the finals, including a role player - and yet the lakers still won that series in 6.

how you ask? shaq average 38 & 17 and played elite defense.

you don't think carter, iverson or even tmac could have replicated role player status in 2000, and not win a ring with MDE shaq?

in 2001, the lakers went 15-1 in the postseason, and att, iverson & carter had arguably their greatest postseasons of their careers. people can act like kobe wasn't replaceable, but these guys would've done the same thing kobe did in his role (run the laker offense aka play off shaq).

2002? this was kobe's worst season as a "superstar". tmac and iverson were probably better anyway, so its not out of the question the lakers STILL three peat.

carter & iverson (even tmac to some degree) all had wear & tear because they had to carry their franchises from day one. playing with shaq would have remedied that, tons.

all in all, kobe is a great player who gets overrated by idiots. there have been tons of "great" players.

raprap
09-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Kobe has no friends, just like his stans. Weird bunch of people.

bballnoob1192
09-03-2015, 09:59 PM
kobe's a ****ing nerd. I'm not saying this in a negative way. all he talks about outside of basketball is watching old tapes of basketball and studying the history of the NBA. dude's a grade a "nerd"

TheBigVeto
09-04-2015, 12:33 AM
Dude is delusional

GimmeThat
09-04-2015, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=Rose'sACL]O