PDA

View Full Version : A question about Moore's Law

DCL
09-04-2015, 01:21 PM
moore's law predicts computing power doubles every 18 or 24 months.

my question is: are we doing that in the retail computer world?

my current computer is an i5 processor, which was bought in early 2011, so that was over 4 years ago. it's still in okay shape, but when i shopped for a new replacement recently, it seems like the top-end computers are still i7, which is an improvement but not anything close to what's predicted by moore's law.

this law isn't really a law but just a theory, of course, but are we stalling in the retail computing world? if i waited 4 years, shouldn't the current computers at stores be at least 4X power? or is the increase in power shifted to other areas, so it's unrealistic to expect processing power to double every 18/24 months from now?

what's the development?

RidonKs
09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
because that would be scratching the consumers itch instead of tickling his buying bone and theres no incentive to saturate the market with technological sophistication since all the future advancements are already proprietary

lol interesting thing to look into tho. what i wrote above barely scratches the surface.

DCL
09-04-2015, 01:43 PM
because that would be scratching the consumers itch instead of tickling his buying bone and theres no incentive to saturate the market with technological sophistication since all the future advancements are already proprietary

lol interesting thing to look into tho. what i wrote above barely scratches the surface.

yeah, that's kinda what i figured. we still don't really need any more power for web-browsing yet, but i think there are still some data-crunching stuff can benefit from faster processors. i'm using this program that usually takes a minute or more to do its job. would be happy to pay more to cut that down to 10 seconds or less.

KevinNYC
09-04-2015, 01:45 PM
moore's law predicts computing power doubles every 18 or 24 months.

my question is: are we doing that in the retail computer world?

my current computer is an i5 processor, which was bought in early 2011, so that was over 4 years ago. it's still in okay shape, but when i shopped for a new replacement recently, it seems like the top-end computers are still i7, which is an improvement but not anything close to what's predicted by moore's law.

this law isn't really a law but just a theory, of course, but are we stalling in the retail computing world? if i waited 4 years, shouldn't the current computers at stores be at least 4X power? or is the increase in power shifted to other areas, so it's unrealistic to expect processing power to double every 18/24 months from now?

what's the development?i7 is a brand. So today's i7 out perform four year ago i7s. That is the chips underneath the brand are faster. Dunno if still hitting Moore

Droid101
09-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Here are the core i7 releases. Notice the brand name stays the same but other improvements are there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

DCL
09-04-2015, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=KevinNYC]i7 is a brand. So today's i7 out perform four year ago i7s. That is the chips underneath the brand are faster. Dunno if still hitting Moore

GimmeThat
09-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I wonder if he had thought that one of the component in which extended his initial observation into such prolonged time had something to do with computer viruses.