PDA

View Full Version : Who would you build around: Shaq or Kareem?

mehyaM24
09-04-2015, 02:30 PM
the 2 greatest players in their absolute primes, who are you building around and why?

shaq:

- stronger
- brings the entertainment for fans
- arguably the better peak
- is likely to get along with more teammates and personalities

kareem:

- quicker
- longer longevity
- at his best, probably tougher to defend (skyhook)
- more motivated and conditioned

:confusedshrug:

GreatHILL
09-04-2015, 02:33 PM
http://hypesrus.com/files/rbk-shaq-attaq-1.jpg

robby712
09-04-2015, 02:39 PM
I mean, Shaq was great and dominant but I don't see how can you go against Kareem. He can be in crunch time too, even shooting the free throws to win a game. He has an unstoppable move, great conditioning, motivation and the goat longevity. His Laker days weren't even his best, imagine him playing with Magic in the 70's also. Scary how many accolades he could have had.

RidonKs
09-04-2015, 02:42 PM
HAHAHA

who in their right mind takes shaq?

- he misses at least a dozen games a year, usually more
- he was broken for his last five seasons
- he has weight problems and a mediocre work ethic
- he is all ego, no class

kareem on the other hand...

- missed > 8 games in a season just twice
- slower decline last few years of career
- top five iron man in nba history
- he is all intellect, no shenanigans

but to answer more poignantly...

if i'm on the team, if i'm the general manager, if i'm the coach, if i hand out the gatorade, if i'm the team trainer, if i am a fan of the team... KAREEM

if i am either the team's owner or beat reporter, i'll go with shaq

swagga
09-04-2015, 02:57 PM
the 2 greatest players in their absolute primes, who are you building around and why?

shaq:

- stronger
- brings the entertainment for fans
- arguably the better peak
- is likely to get along with more teammates and personalities

kareem:

- quicker
- longer longevity
- at his best, probably tougher to defend (skyhook)
- more motivated and conditioned

:confusedshrug:

bolded is flat out NO.

I'll take kareem 10 times out of 10. A true pro. If shaq had kareem's mindset he'd of gotten 7-8 rings. Give kareem a decent teammate and he contends for 17 years. That's all you need to know to make this choice.

Gotterdammerung
09-04-2015, 03:15 PM
HAHAHA

who in their right mind takes shaq?

- he misses at least a dozen games a year, usually more
- he was broken for his last five seasons
- he has weight problems and a mediocre work ethic
- he is all ego, no class

kareem on the other hand...

- missed > 8 games in a season just twice
- slower decline last few years of career
- top five iron man in nba history
- he is all intellect, no shenanigans

but to answer more poignantly...

if i'm on the team, if i'm the general manager, if i'm the coach, if i hand out the gatorade, if i'm the team trainer, if i am a fan of the team... KAREEM

if i am either the team's owner or beat reporter, i'll go with shaq
http://i.imgur.com/5oxq2xO.jpg

HurricaneKid
09-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I really think if Shaq is around today he gets called for 50 charges a game. And Kareem would be far better defensively outside of the basket area. It depends on the era you are talking about but I think its comfortably Kareem.

Elosha
09-04-2015, 03:20 PM
This is much closer than what's being suggested, but yes, I'd probably take Kareem. However, Shaq in his prime would give Kareem or anyone else in league histody a world of hurt. But Kareem would hold his own too, and certainly has a longer peak than Shaq, primarily because of his greater work ethic, healthy life style, and much lighter frame.

Can't really go wrong with either one, but Shaq's huge ego could be detestable at times. Kareem could be grumpy and aloof. I wouldn't call him a real example of the ultimate team leader, but I don't think he was a cancer like Shaq sometimes was.

Fallen Angel
09-04-2015, 03:24 PM
bolded is flat out NO.
you know nothing

Derka
09-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Apply modern training and conditioning techniques with modern sports medicine and a guy with Kareem's talents, work ethic and general basketball IQ would be like nothing else we have today. Nothing at all.

Shaq could be a one-man wrecking crew when the mood took him, but give me Kareem.

AirFederer
09-04-2015, 04:02 PM
https://d13beo3f7vpmvd.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-29-at-3.11.53-PM-e1304104162781.png
Wilt, a man for all ages.

Seriously, I`ll take Shaq. No way he doesn`t win a rang or three.

Marchesk
09-04-2015, 04:16 PM
https://d13beo3f7vpmvd.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-29-at-3.11.53-PM-e1304104162781.png
Wilt, a man for all ages.

Why not use that as your avy?

Cold soul
09-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Kareem.

swagga
09-04-2015, 05:05 PM
you know nothing

lol son.

kareem is a difficult guy and a cold leader, but a leader and he'll not shoot the team in the foot. he played with some difficult people in some difficult times. Aloof but they didn't call him cap. for nothing.

shaq is a man child and he has burned every possible bridge in this league. Furthermore, you can just see this in his idiotic show, where even at the slightest difference of opinion he attacks people personally. If he isn't the center of attention he is a spoiled fagggot that has no common sense. A buffoon.

so you tell me who knows nothing

swagga
09-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Why not use that as your avy?

because he doesn't jerk off to that pictures 10 times a day while begging their tall black neighbor on the phone "come over to help me with something" in the effort of fullfilling their gay fantasy of being plowed by a large black. Like every other wiltstan.

Fallen Angel
09-04-2015, 05:18 PM
The one teammate that Shaq has ever disliked playing with him was Kobe, and that was over the ball. Players love Shaq on and off the court. So what if he's a clown, he was the MVP of our league, 3x MVP of the NBA Finals, and had the most dominant peak in the history of the league.

swagga
09-04-2015, 05:21 PM
The one teammate that Shaq has ever disliked playing with him was Kobe, and that was over the ball. Players love Shaq on and off the court. So what if he's a clown, he was the MVP of our league, 3x MVP of the NBA Finals, and had the most dominant peak in the history of the league.

keep drinking the kool-aid. shaq is an asshole and he is fooling nobody over the age of 18, but I don't hold this against you because you're probably 12.

and bringing career achievements in this discussion can ONLY enhance kareem's case.

so learn from your betters and eat your vegetables son.

bizil
09-04-2015, 05:27 PM
If going by peak, Shaq. Shaq was such a physical freak of nature that I would take him over any center peak wise. But for overall prime and to build around, gotta go the Captain. Cap commanded a double team just like Shaq did. Cap was also a better defender as well.

He could also play way more effectively AWAY from the basket than Shaq. And in terms of flat out alpha dog scoring, Wilt is the only center better than Kareem. And the durability of Kareem really puts it over the top.

Soundwave
09-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Close but I honestly think at his peak, Shaq was better than any version of Kareem.

swagga
09-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Close but I honestly think at his peak, Shaq was better than any version of Kareem.

who would you BUILD around?

gcvbcat
09-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Build what, isis or al queda or taliban or hamas or......?

DoctorP
09-04-2015, 06:02 PM
I would go with Kareem. More clutch. Shaq was more dominant in short stretches but he could be contained for long stretches while Kareem's scoring really couldnt really be contained because he was more mobile and could shoot over the top with the skyhook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89IQcTPHkRs

Naero
09-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I'd elect to go with Kareem in his prime.

Prime Shaq was arguably the most dominant Finals-performer of all-time, but Kareem's finesse was more conducive to self-preservation and durability in the long haul; that's the difference-maker to me: his longevity.

Kareem as a centerpiece may require more pieces to complement him than peak Shaq but Kareem's longevity will be more valuable to a franchise in the long haul

The Iron Fist
09-04-2015, 08:05 PM
The only people who take Shaq are the ones who don't realize that Kareem was the threepeat champion in college. Kareem had everything Shaq didn't leaving college.

swagga
09-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Build what, isis or al queda or taliban or hamas or......?

somebody is *really* mad :roll:

Wade's Rings
09-04-2015, 08:13 PM
agree with swagga ITT, Shaq burned a lot of bridges.

kennethgriffin
09-04-2015, 08:23 PM
shaq for 3 years

kareem for 20 years

LAZERUSS
09-05-2015, 09:57 AM
IMO, KAJ.

Having said that, though...those who somehow consider Shaq as having a short prime need to do some actual research. Shaq's prime lasted from his rookie season, thru his '05 season..or 13 seasons. He finished in the Top-10 in MVP ever year in that span, and was Top-5 eight times. Hell, as late as '05 he came in SECOND. And he was arguably the best player in the league from '99 thru '05 (sorry Timmy.)

fpliii
09-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Both are terrific players, that goes without saying. In terms of raw offense, two of the best bigs ever. I think both have underrated mobility as well (Shaq could move around very well, especially in Orlando, and Kareem was touted as one of the most agile seven footers ever while with the Bucks).

Relative prime years (loose definition):

Shaq: 93-06 (worth noting that he played 30mpg in 09, and Phoenix managed the #2 offense in the league with him alongside Nash & Amare, so I think this was an underrated post-prime season)

Kareem: 70-depends (80 was probably his last monster season, though the offense was still run through him until 86, after which Magic spent a good chunk at the summer back at MSU with his college coach working on his hooks with both hands as well as perfecting his drop step, and looked to score more, as we all know)

Not sure who I'd build around. GOAT shot in the skyhook or GOAT at-rim finishing (not that that's all either offers, but that's where it starts for me). Cool comparison either way.

senelcoolidge
09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Since Wilt is not an option being great offensively, defensively, and as a distributor. I have to go with Kareem. Shaq for all he had was really disappointing. A young or prime Kareem is too dominant. He would destroy anyone in today's game without a lot of effort.

TheMarkMadsen
09-05-2015, 01:38 PM

yeah tell that to Penny Hardaway..

anytime a teammate of the big cactus began getting hype and recognition for being a great player beef seemingly always popped up..

ClipperRevival
09-07-2015, 05:56 AM
KAJ but not by much. Most people think of old Lakers Jabbar but the Jabbar at his peak was mobile, fluid and coordinated as hell. I prefer his game that extended out to 12-15 feet along with slightly better rim protection and FT shooting. Not to mention the longevity. Peak wise, it's close.

sportjames23
09-07-2015, 06:01 AM
keep drinking the kool-aid. shaq is an asshole and he is fooling nobody over the age of 18, but I don't hold this against you because you're probably 12.

and bringing career achievements in this discussion can ONLY enhance kareem's case.

so learn from your betters and eat your vegetables son.

Damn son. :oldlol: