PDA

View Full Version : Without the 2 year vacation...would MJ made that 2nd run?

9erempiree
09-09-2015, 04:17 PM
It is safe to say that basketball takes a toll on you. Playing that hard in so many games. I don't think he would have made that 2nd run.

While many people say he was playing another sport, I disagree because standing on the lawn and tanning is far from playing another sport.

Also, it wasn't like he was running and shit. He struck out a lot and did a majority of the walking back to the dugout.

riseagainst
09-09-2015, 04:18 PM
he would have at least 5 peated

:bowdown:

9erempiree
09-09-2015, 04:19 PM
he would have at least 5 peated

:bowdown:

I doubt it.

It seems like most guys crash out after 3. Kobe and company crashed out at 3 both times.

ralph_i_el
09-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I bet it helped him out. Look at how shitty LeBron looked before his 2 week vacation this season.

WayOfWade
09-09-2015, 04:27 PM
I think he definitely would've won 3 more, but I highly doubt those 3 would've come on a row. You are right saying that playing so much takes its toll, even on the best of players; Yeah MJ and company would contend year in and year out, but lack of rest would catch up to them. It also depends largely on if they get Rodman in 96' or not (seeing as MJ not retiring would change the free agency future).
In short, he'd have 6 again but not on two 3-peats

kennethgriffin
09-09-2015, 04:33 PM
taking retirement breaks is what enabled jordan to play till age 39 ( play at an mvp level at 34/35 ) and 3 peat twice

it also enabled the bulls to load up for a 2nd run

maybe if jordan stays the full 94/95 season they dont get harper/kerr/kukoc/rodman

who knows

wear and tear on the body playing long playoff runs catches up to you. like kobe in 2003 ( torn shoulder/knee ) then kobe again in 2011 ( more knee surgery )

if kobe skipped all of 2003/04 and all of 2011/12 ... kobe would be at 2013 all nba 1st team level right now with a perfectly healthy achilles and shoulder, fresh knees for this upcoming season

no.. jordan doesnt win more. infact it might hurt his chances at 6

/thread

warriorfan
09-09-2015, 04:34 PM
3peat, vacation, 3peat

pimpest shit right there, goat gonna goat :pimp:

kennethgriffin
09-09-2015, 04:36 PM
3peat, vacation, 3peat

pimpest shit right there, goat gonna goat :pimp:

it should be looked at more as rigging/stacking/resting/quitting/banning/murder/baseball failure/cheating than "pimping"

just sayin

dubeta
09-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Lol he either way he was secretly banned from the NBA due to gambling. He wouldn't have played either way.

warriorfan
09-09-2015, 04:39 PM
it should be looked at more as rigging/stacking/resting/quitting/banning/murder/baseball failure/cheating than "pimping"

just sayin

MJ is a gangster

get over it

90sgoat
09-09-2015, 04:52 PM
MJ was not nearly as good in the 2nd 3 peat, which is often overlooked. He shouldn't have been able to lead the scoring so efficiently at that age using basically mostly mid range jump shots.

It would probably be tough to continue after the 3peat, but with a Pippen and Grant in prime added by Kukoc and some other guys, then he could probably win at least one more. Winning 4 in a row would be the first time since Bill Russel probably and would have been enough to be crowned GOAT anyway.

Dr Hawk
09-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Lol he either way he was secretly banned from the NBA due to gambling. He wouldn't have played either way.

Mods

riseagainst
09-09-2015, 05:04 PM

:lol

3ball
09-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I bet it helped him out. Look at how shitty LeBron looked before his 2 week vacation this season.
:rolleyes:

You're one of those guys that thinks Mitch Richmond could've replaced MJ in 1994 and won the championship.

If that's the case, then MJ most DEFINITELY wins in 1994, which would give him a 4-peat and widen his lead as the goat.

ShawkFactory
09-09-2015, 05:14 PM

just sayin
So mad :lol

ballinhun8
09-09-2015, 05:18 PM

Man you weren't even alive during that time. F outta here.

ralph_i_el
09-09-2015, 05:33 PM
taking retirement breaks is what enabled jordan to play till age 39 ( play at an mvp level at 34/35 ) and 3 peat twice

maybe if jordan stays the full 94/95 season they dont get harper/kerr/kukoc/rodman

who knows

wear and tear on the body playing long playoff runs catches up to you. like kobe in 2003 ( torn shoulder/knee ) then kobe again in 2011 ( more knee surgery )

if kobe skipped all of 2003/04 and all of 2011/12 ... kobe would be at 2013 all nba 1st team level right now with a perfectly healthy achilles and shoulder, fresh knees for this upcoming season

/thread

This is the most sense you've ever made.

ralph_i_el
09-09-2015, 05:35 PM
:rolleyes:

You're one of those guys that thinks Mitch Richmond could've replaced MJ in 1994 and won the championship.

If that's the case, then MJ most DEFINITELY wins in 1994, which would give him a 4-peat and widen his lead as the goat.

:facepalm so taking a year off doesn't help a player of his age? Especially when he's keeping in shape?

poido123
09-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Part of the reason he left was due to some level of mental exhaustion.

I'd say he would of suffered through more reg season grind, then lifted for the playoffs like he always did.

He's a killer, no way he lets himself cave in when playoffs come around. He's just not that guy.

poido123
09-09-2015, 06:24 PM

who knows

/thread

Someone forgot to tell Lebron about these "assertions"

You need to look at this as an individual case. Not just assume jordan would cave in and succumb to mental/physical strain.

The same IFs you apply to Jordan may not be able to reload the team, means you need to consider the possibility that he would be able to maintain his level of play and still win more championships.

Looking at Jordan individually and his mental strength, you couldn't wholeheartedlly write him off doing it.

GrapeApe
09-09-2015, 06:27 PM

I always laugh when people say this. Like the league is going to sacrifice millions of dollars by banning their cash cow and the most marketable athlete on earth. That's more ridiculous than people who claim the NBA is rigged. Rigging is at least plausible because it could hypothetically help the business (and make no mistake, the NBA is a business first and foremost).

poido123
09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I always laugh when people say this. Like the league is going to sacrifice millions of dollars by banning their cash cow and the most marketable athlete on earth. That's more ridiculous than people who claim the NBA is rigged. Rigging is at least plausible because it could hypothetically help the business (and make no mistake, the NBA is a business first and foremost).

9empire was hating Lebron for starting training camp in Miami instead of Cleveland in another thread.

ISH has some hilariously bitter posters :oldlol:

poido123
09-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Rigging is the go to word, but I think manipulating game swings is more accurate.

Rigging would require a whole heap of important people to conspire to almost guarantee a result of a game or series. Which was done in the past, but I think the league has become more discreet in how it does business in light of that damaging debacle during the Kings v lakers series.

I think referees can only "try" to influence the result through the use of timely fouls and no calls, but not be able to rig it as such.

gcvbcat
09-09-2015, 07:07 PM
as much as I hate to say this but there would not be 2 3 peats, just one 8 peat. of course, this is just my opinion there could have been an upset but all we can do 20 years later is speculate.

off topic. this is a pussified era for mens tennis. back in the day they played 5 sets even in non GS tournaments (atleast the finals were 5 sets) but now all tournaments except GS & final of the year end c'ship are 3 sets. these men are like women.

& whats with the endless rallies? that's boring.

ATP shpuld limit racquet head size to 85 sq inches, that will teach them.

also, as much as I like serena, she is fat & watching fat women play tennis is no fun. so please let us have less coverage of women's tennis on TV. people don't even pay to watch them. they come in to see the men play but have to sit thru womens matches. but like I said earlier, I like serena & I hope she completes the GS.

Naero
09-10-2015, 02:10 AM
It is very plausible, but you need to put into perspective as to why teams have historically struggled to string together more than a two- or three-peat at best before you write it off as a foregone conclusion

warriorfan
09-10-2015, 03:14 AM
LeBron should take a year off and play baseball I'm sure it will do wonders for his basketball career...just like it did for Jordan...

:biggums:

DMV2
09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
I think the Bulls would have had a "shocking" lost in the 1994 Finals but recharged and retooled get revenge the following year to start a 4-peat run.

I put shock in quotation marks but that's what it would have felt like at the time. Would have angered Jordan so much...

7 rings(included a 3-peat ad 4-peat) and 7 FMVPs would have made his legacy even much greater, even if it meant him being 7-1 in the Finals.

julizaver
09-10-2015, 08:14 AM
It is safe to say that basketball takes a toll on you. Playing that hard in so many games. I don't think he would have made that 2nd run.

While many people say he was playing another sport, I disagree because standing on the lawn and tanning is far from playing another sport.

Also, it wasn't like he was running and shit. He struck out a lot and did a majority of the walking back to the dugout.

I have said it in another thread - not playing competitive basketball instead have far more negative effect rather then playing. He bulked up, lost some of his quickness and hoops, which he would not lost if playing with all the season mileage or it would be unnoticible given the fact that he was 30-32 years old at the time of his first retirement. Just read the citation from :http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2389936-im-back-untold-tales-of-michael-jordans-1st-return-to-the-nba-20-years-ago

"We recognized that he had developed different muscles for baseball

julizaver
09-10-2015, 08:21 AM

who knows

/thread

Kukoc was drafted before MJ's retirement (in fact he was in the team already during the pre-season) anouncement and was hoping of playing with Michael - so with the addition of Kukoc the Bulls would be a little stronger than previous season. In fact I think that they would have a chance for catching Celtics with 8.

ClipperRevival
09-10-2015, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=Naero]It is very plausible, but you need to put into perspective as to why teams have historically struggled to string together more than a two- or three-peat at best before you write it off as a foregone conclusion

ClipperRevival
09-10-2015, 02:26 PM
And adding to what I said above, this is exactly why MJ's 6 titles in his last 6 full seasons with the Bulls is incredibly impressive. Winning most of your titles in the 50's and 60's when there were 8-14 teams and when the talent pool wasn't that strong is one thing but to do it in the modern era when the talent pool was incredibly strong? Just unbelievable and shows you how great MJ really was.

Even more impressive, he was 33, 34 and 35 in his last 3 peat and was still far and away the best player in the game. We might also never see that again, where a guy at that age is still clearly the best in the game and winning rings and fmvps. And even more impressive, he was a wing player, not a big.