PDA

View Full Version : can u recover from an attempted suicide?

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 01:38 PM
like if you try and fail, does that forfeit your life in 99.99999% of cases?

or is there a reasonable recovery rate?

i feel like taking that step will doom you for the rest of your life to contemplating the possibility, unless something truly miraculous happens to upset your cycle

at the same time, stranger things have happened and no doubt some people dig waaaaay deep down and somehow pull out the strength to continue on... but talk about hitting that bottom full face

:eek:

Coach Eddie
09-16-2015, 01:40 PM
What? Of course. Many people have attempted suicide and then went on to be fine.

~primetime~
09-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Are you suicidal Donks?

LikeMike
09-16-2015, 01:46 PM
like if you try and fail, does that forfeit your life in 99.99999% of cases?

or is there a reasonable recovery rate?

i feel like taking that step will doom you for the rest of your life to contemplating the possibility, unless something truly miraculous happens to upset your cycle

at the same time, stranger things have happened and no doubt some people dig waaaaay deep down and somehow pull out the strength to continue on... but talk about hitting that bottom full face

:eek:

Don't do it buddy. It will get better.

lil jahlil
09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Here you go, Ridonks: 1 (800) 273-8255

DeuceWallaces
09-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Those who survive usually are more cry for help than determined suicidal so the consequences aren't as severe. Just some blood loss or a stomach pumping.

Now if you're serious it'll be tough to come back from a 9mm to the temple or a 10 story free fall.

gigantes
09-16-2015, 02:31 PM
i understand it can actually be exhilarating to have survived.

i don't see it in any way as shameful, altho maybe that's because... well, whatever.

i also notice a lot of people gambling with their lives, evidently for something of that same sense of thrill.

be well, mate. :cheers:

tmacattack33
09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes, I have never attempted that but I have been low at times, and then after a few months (and sometimes weeks) later I will be back to being happy.

So if I can go from a 2 to a 9, I don't see why someone else can't go from a 0 to an 8.

ZeN
09-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Dont do it Ridonks.. The comic book thread needs you!

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
i definitely contemplate it as a escape hatch... don't even have to be escaping from anything particularly serious since it all comes out in the wash

but its never been a live option for me

which is unfortunate since they say the clever child makes his first attempt the second he exits the womb

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Those who survive usually are more cry for help than determined suicidal so the consequences aren't as severe. Just some blood loss or a stomach pumping.

Now if you're serious it'll be tough to come back from a 9mm to the temple or a 10 story free fall.
that's the right distinction to make

though i'm not sure the dividing line is so stark

DeuceWallaces
09-16-2015, 02:55 PM
It's not a distinction, and probably insensitive, but whatever.

Think I read something recently about people jumping off the George Washington Bridge and how all who survived realized what a terrible mistake they made as soon as they jumped.

gigantes
09-16-2015, 03:03 PM
when i decide to go, i plan on combining a rasputin-blend of methods.

only thing will be to leave my brain relatively alert so i can experience that sweet, legendary drug trip we get when the body shuts down but the brain keeps chugging on for a while. :P

Lebron23
09-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Yes

Unless you put a bullet in your head, or put a knife inside your chest. I don't understand why people commits suicide. Living is better than being Dead, and Useless.

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 03:11 PM
what is the purpose of crying for attention when you won't stick around to hear a response?

i think the worst word you can use with somebody who is suicidal is 'excuse'

i'm not sure if taking your own life can be an excuse for not living

completely turning the point of this thread on its head

is it possible that, rather than just silently sulking in your head, its a real sign of mental fortitude to commit to that monumental a decision? or is the inherent nihilistic objective of that decision a total renunciation of all the strife that went into it?

if you decide to kill yourself and succeed, you're just a quitter who took the easy way out

but if you attempt to kill yourself with enough smidgen of doubt that "oops... didn't take!" but it COULD HAVE TOOK that takes major balls doesn't it, real alpha depressant balls

niko
09-16-2015, 03:11 PM
If you survive there is probably a reasonable recovery rate because it's out there to everyone that you have a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 03:13 PM
when i decide to go, i plan on combining a rasputin-blend of methods.

only thing will be to leave my brain relatively alert so i can experience that sweet, legendary drug trip we get when the body shuts down but the brain keeps chugging on for a while. :P
your optimism is endearing

"In my own bed, at the age of 80, with a belly full of wine and a girls mouth around my ****."

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Here you go, Ridonks: 1 (800) 273-8255

If you survive there is probably a reasonable recovery rate because it's out there to everyone that you have a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

here's a good point

how helpful are suicide hotlines REALLY?

can a stranger really trick you into prolonging the inevitable?

gigantes
09-16-2015, 03:28 PM
...how helpful are suicide hotlines REALLY?

can a stranger really trick you into prolonging the inevitable?
good question...

i would guess there's a mixture of folks who are highly sympathetic / nurturing and folks who are really skilled at various techniques, such as transactional analysis, cognitive therapy, EST, re evaluational co-counseling, etc etc

(well, plus your basic nitwits who shouldn't be doing the job in the 1st place)

but hell, even basic scientology could probably save lives... even though that's the same hook by which the whole scam works. :D

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 03:39 PM
yeah i wonder what kind of qualifications they look for... presumably they are short on numbers so it isn't exactly the most stringent criteria

a nice person can be wonderful but there are so many traps you can fall into if you're unexperienced or in a bad place yourself, and not least of which if you aren't intimately familiar with the person you're talking to

warriorfan
09-16-2015, 03:40 PM
What an immature thread. Way to demonize and belittle people that are suicidal. (I'm willing to bet the majority of suicide attempts come from people with serious and untreated mental illness.)

KNOW1EDGE
09-16-2015, 03:54 PM
What an immature thread. Way to demonize and belittle people that are suicidal. (I'm willing to bet the majority of suicide attempts come from people with serious and untreated mental illness.)

People who take their lives are mentally ill, no question.

People with healthy brains don't kill themselves.

Cactus-Sack
09-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Are you suicidal Donks?
Yes.

DeuceWallaces
09-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Only the truly insane don't regret suicide.

KNOW1EDGE
09-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Only the truly insane don't regret suicide.

I dont know if "insane" is the right word.

You can have depression and not be "insane"

People who comit suicide feel it's their only option. Their only way to stop the hurting. They'd rather not feel anything than feel pain any longer, and that's why they kill themselves, to stop the pain.

gigantes
09-16-2015, 04:06 PM
yeah i wonder what kind of qualifications they look for... presumably they are short on numbers so it isn't exactly the most stringent criteria

a nice person can be wonderful but there are so many traps you can fall into if you're unexperienced or in a bad place yourself, and not least of which if you aren't intimately familiar with the person you're talking to
that was exactly my first thought, probably because i've been through that with various people.

by the time i was done trying to explain the complicated logistics of the situation, i would probably be even more depressed lol.

DeuceWallaces
09-16-2015, 04:09 PM
I dont know if "insane" is the right word.

You can have depression and not be "insane"

People who comit suicide feel it's their only option. Their only way to stop the hurting. They'd rather not feel anything than feel pain any longer, and that's why they kill themselves, to stop the pain.

Attempt does not equal regret.

So yes, only the truly insane does not regret suicide.

KNOW1EDGE
09-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Attempt does not equal regret.

So yes, only the truly insane does not regret suicide.

How can anyone regret suicide if they are dead? They cant.

People who comit suicide are most likely depressed, not "insane"

So no, nobody even has the ability to regret suicide. You are dumb and being argumentative just to be argumentative when the sh1t you are arguing isn't even humanly possible

Edit: also, no where in my post did I talk about attempting suicide, but that was the basis of your retort. Lol

DeuceWallaces
09-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Outside of a perfect shot to the dome piece you will most definitely have time between the attempt and death to assess your decision even if you are ultimately successful.

During that time, if you do not regret your decision, you are truly insane and have gone against all of human nature.

KNOW1EDGE
09-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Outside of a perfect shot to the dome piece you will most definitely have time between the attempt and death to assess your decision even if you are ultimately successful.

During that time, if you do not regret your decision, you are truly insane and have gone against all of human nature.

Or simply depressed, or overwhelmed, or a number of other mental ailments that can lead to a sane person making an irrational decision and ending their life. :cheers:

UK2K
09-16-2015, 04:50 PM
what is the purpose of crying for attention when you won't stick around to hear a response?

i think the worst word you can use with somebody who is suicidal is 'excuse'

i'm not sure if taking your own life can be an excuse for not living

completely turning the point of this thread on its head

is it possible that, rather than just silently sulking in your head, its a real sign of mental fortitude to commit to that monumental a decision? or is the inherent nihilistic objective of that decision a total renunciation of all the strife that went into it?

if you decide to kill yourself and succeed, you're just a quitter who took the easy way out

but if you attempt to kill yourself with enough smidgen of doubt that "oops... didn't take!" but it COULD HAVE TOOK that takes major balls doesn't it, real alpha depressant balls

Because suicidal people don't recognize reality.

I could never kill myself, but know people who have. Their balls are bigger than mine.

*were bigger than mine

MMM
09-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Just saw somebody jump off their hirise balcony the other day. As a rational person how can we better understand why someone would make such a permanent choice?

gigantes
09-16-2015, 05:27 PM

2nd para.-- sources?

1st para.-- i doubt that, based on papers and NDEs. Different brain regions running the show, different packets of molecules as I read it. Not nearly a continuation of the previous movie.

TheMan
09-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Don't do it OP...unless you have a terribly terminal disease, there is always a way out of whatever is making you feel low.

Life is just a collection of moments, everything is temporary. Work to get to better moments, don't give up. :cheers:

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 06:12 PM
2nd para.-- sources?

1st para.-- i doubt that, based on papers and NDEs. Different brain regions running the show, different packets of molecules as I read it. Not nearly a continuation of the previous movie.
what is the deal with suicide and nde's?

i must admit i've come full circle on primetime's favourite subject

or something like that anyway

gigantes
09-16-2015, 06:55 PM
it's one subset of death and NDE's.

but it's a pretty damn big deal, so you can see why people would want to hijack that info immediately and often for their own purposes.

reasoning will shift around as necessary as a chronic underling of belief.

RidonKs
09-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Why commit suicide?
In other words, why go on?

But the better question.
Why not stop?

If my best intuitions about the universe are true, I'm beyond help anyway.

So long as my species continue toward the inevitable singularity, my would will whither and die regardless. We cannot function within our means and we will meet our ends.

My personal meaning is called a rabbit hole and it is not the reason I go on. It is the product of my going on. Nothing less than a series of excuses propel us from one level to the next in a never-ending game of leap frog.

What are the sources of meaning one can draw on to persist?

Ideology.
Family.
Ego.
Fear.
Pleasure.

Barring those, should one truly fear what happened before I woke up?

Imagine going to sleep and never waking up. Then ask yourself what it was like to wake up after never having gone to sleep?

My death and my birth have more to do with each other than either can say to my life. The bookends symbolize not loss but departure. I step on a first class flight without a clue where I'm going and I realize the bliss.

This is the sweet relief of knowing that God is dead.

I am a Machine. I know I am a machine. I am programmed to know I am a machine. I am executing my program. I go on to execute my program.

I am not a purpose. I am random baggage. I feel because I must, I do because I'm told, I think because I can't stop. I am destined for oblivion by the unintelligible force that has exploded into the unfortunate demise of my consciousness. I am captive to my neurological fire. My presence is adrift and I cannot mind my absence.

Why would I subsist in a hostile and alienated future?

As my body falls apart, vulnerable to cancer and breakage and the great siberian itch... as my beauty fades... as my friends and family die...

I persist until I do not.

I might as well commit suicide right now.

Or perhaps by feeling free to commit suicide, by giving ourselves permission to forbidden relief, we can shrug off our anxieties and laugh at our depression and decide that if death isn't so hard.......

Life can't be either.

Is the game worth the candle? Would I place an honest bet?
Or would I know when to fold my cards and call it a night?

gigantes
09-16-2015, 07:39 PM
maybe try to cultivate yourself, nexttime??

gigantes
09-16-2015, 10:55 PM
shit DMV2, your post is getting me all worried.

i thought ridonks said this was sort of an academic question.

i can certainly be a dick (lol) across many settings but if we lose brother ridonks, i suspect i would have a fairly permanent level of depression, guilt and worthlessness on my soul and conscience.

donks, shoot me an email pls?

poido123
09-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I'd contemplate it if I was faced with the reality of being captured by ISIS.

I'd have to take a few out first of course, then die.

This world is getting pretty fcked up, I'm not sure if we have 100 years left in it tbh, though I won't be around that long.

outbreak
09-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Always assumed I'd do it at some point in the future.

DeuceWallaces
09-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Or simply depressed, or overwhelmed, or a number of other mental ailments that can lead to a sane person making an irrational decision and ending their life. :cheers:

Still insanity. If you're willing to end your life you're insane.

DeuceWallaces
09-17-2015, 12:50 AM
2nd para.-- sources?

Please cite something or you're just talking shit.

gigantes
09-17-2015, 03:25 AM
Please cite something or you're just talking shit.
the core issue is basically that i'm running out of neural availability. as in, i'm in a situation of guarding my remaining grey / white cells, while i reckon you're still in a situation of available force-feeding. true / not true?

anyway i leave you with this, mate-- "if you really want to understand, that's when you have to give up something."

you need to let some things go IMO.

CeltsGarlic
09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
depends on how well u did