PDA

View Full Version : Better team next season (15/16): Detroit or Milwaukee ?

Legends66NBA7
09-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Both teams have good coaches and have young building blocks for the future. Which team do you think will be better next season ?

Also, who will be better in 3-5 years time ? Does either become a contender by then ?

Dbrog
09-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I know there's been a lot of buzz on here about Detroits new rookie (I haven't seen him). I'm pretty sure I've seen people predict him as ROY which is surprising to me. Other than that, I lack faith in the Pistons. I mean, they had Drummond/Monroe/Smoove/Jennings at one point and somehow fell to the lottery...in the East. How the hell did that happen? I know there are some chuckers and spacing issues there but damn...the talent. I don't really know how the Pistons make the leap with their roster gutted this year.

Meanwhile, Bucks retooled in a big way. I mean, they already made the playoffs last year and were a MUCH better team with Jabari playing those few games. They have some fantastic perimeter play and now Monroe down low will just add to their effectiveness since he's a passing big with range. I'm really looking for this team to take off this year and will be watching quite a few of their games as they gel. Not looking forward to that grainy ass footage though...it's like when I used to watch KG play on the wolves. FML that quality :oldlol:

HurricaneKid
09-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Both teams have good coaches and have young building blocks for the future. Which team do you think will be better next season ?

Also, who will be better in 3-5 years time ? Does either become a contender by then ?

I hope this is a joke.

The Bucks have the best young core in the league. The Pistons are locked into paying a backup PG max money and have one asset (Drummond). The Pistons just took a Bucks player who wasn't going to play and put him in their starting lineup (Ilyasova).

Its impossible to tell what is going to happen in 5 years but it would take multiple miracles for the Pistons to be near the Bucks at that time.

Levity
09-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Bucks will be the better team in my opinion but i can see detroit surprising a lot of people. for that to happen, drummond needs to make that huge stride this season, both defensively and offensively. from tapes ive seen, hes been working on little 5 footers, foot work, and finishing stronger. so it will be fun to see his progress throughout the season. Jackson needs to be more consistent, which i think he has in him. Jennings needs to get healthy, though i dont know their plan for him (trade block, 2 guard line up, strictly a 6th man?) and the rest of the team just has to play consistently all season long (Ilyasova, im looking at you). Johnson looked fantastic during summer league. seems to be nba ready, but rookies will hit that wall during the reg season. but it should be a fun ride until then

Dbrog
09-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Also, look at this traditional lineup from Milwaukee:

MCW
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson

Wtf are they lacking here? I see passing, tremendous length, block party down low, and unbelievably difficult to guard pick n roll play.

Then you go small and they just kill you by taking out Henson and adding OJ or Middleton in there. They are pretty nuts on paper. We shall see if they can translate it into good ball.

Levity
09-17-2015, 12:32 PM

MCW
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson

Wtf are they lacking here? I see passing, tremendous length, block party down low, and unbelievably difficult to guard pick n roll play.

Then you go small and they just kill you by taking out Henson and adding OJ or Middleton in there. They are pretty nuts on paper. We shall see if they can translate it into good ball.

the only thing i think that starting 5 lacks (and i dont think thats their starting 5 btw) is a guy who can guard legit 7 footers. But this is an eastern conference team, and i can only think of 1-2 teams with bigs that have 7 footers like that, so i guess its a non issue.

jayfan
09-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Milwaukee, by a mile. And I'm a Pistons fan.

kshutts1
09-17-2015, 12:34 PM

MCW
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson

Block party being just Henson?

Bucks lack rim protection outside of Henson, and they lack outside shooting, especially relative to Detroit.

That said, I see Bucks being the better team, but there is reason to be "excited" about Detroit.

kshutts1
09-17-2015, 12:37 PM
the only thing i think that starting 5 lacks (and i dont think thats their starting 5 btw) is a guy who can guard legit 7 footers. But this is an eastern conference team, and i can only think of 1-2 teams with bigs that have 7 footers like that, so i guess its a non issue.
Moz, Bosh (I know he's 6'11. I don't care about that inch), Gasol, Al Jefferson, Brook, Vuc, J Val (questionable), Gortat... I see a few more than just "one or two".

Granted, not many of those guys are necessarily offensive threats, but as we saw against GSW, a solid big man (Moz) can look pretty good against an overmatched/outsized defender (Dray/Monroe/Henson).

Levity
09-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Moz, Bosh (I know he's 6'11. I don't care about that inch), Gasol, Al Jefferson, Brook, Vuc, J Val (questionable), Gortat... I see a few more than just "one or two".

Granted, not many of those guys are necessarily offensive threats, but as we saw against GSW, a solid big man (Moz) can look pretty good against an overmatched/outsized defender (Dray/Monroe/Henson).

Yeah i definitely under sold it. Vuc gets a little too comfortable playing away from the basket, but hes certainly a threat. forgot about brook but thats the story of his career. was mainly thinking of al, gasol, and bosh to an extent (i can see monroe guarding him pretty well)

Dbrog
09-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Block party being just Henson?

Bucks lack rim protection outside of Henson, and they lack outside shooting, especially relative to Detroit.

That said, I see Bucks being the better team, but there is reason to be "excited" about Detroit.

Monroe gets blocks sometimes and Giannis definitely does. Henson is certainly big enough to guard 7 footers...he's 6'11. The outside shooting is a bit lacking in that linup in terms of 3-ball, but midrange they are wet. They would have nice spacing regardless. 3s can definitely be their achilles heal though considering it's probably just middleton and oj who will hit them consistently.

I'm not excited about detroit at all except to see them get a high pick. I think with one more great player they can start doing some damage in the east (assuming Johnson is legit).

T_L_P
09-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Detroit minus Josh Smith went 27-28 last year (5-23 with him), and 12-4 with Jennings still playing, before they essentially gave up and opted to get a better draft pick.

I'm not saying they'll be better than the Bucks, but Stan has shown time and again that he can win games with marginal talent - as long as his players buy into his system. He's one of the best coaches in the NBA.

kshutts1
09-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Monroe gets blocks sometimes and Giannis definitely does. Henson is certainly big enough to guard 7 footers...he's 6'11. The outside shooting is a bit lacking in that linup in terms of 3-ball, but midrange they are wet. They would have nice spacing regardless. 3s can definitely be their achilles heal though considering it's probably just middleton and oj who will hit them consistently.

I'm not excited about detroit at all except to see them get a high pick. I think with one more great player they can start doing some damage in the east (assuming Johnson is legit).
Getting blocks sometimes is not rim protection. Nor are Giannis' (likely) jumpshot blocks. But again, I'm just picking nits. The team is set up for future success better than basically anyone.

As for Detroit, I'm banking on Drummond becoming another Deandre Jordan in a sense. I see Drummond sucking the defense to him just by rolling, hard, to the rim. The Clippers run one of the most efficient offenses in the league, every year, partly because of that. Obviously Paul and Griffin are huge, and better than any two players Detroit has. I'm just talking the offensive strategy.

If Drummond can suck the defense in by rolling hard, and IF he can make the occasional post move, that will open things up for Blake, KCP and Ilyasova shooting the 3, or gives Jennings and Jackson more room to operate.

Considering Stan's effectiveness running an offense through Dwight Howard in Orlando, and looking at how similar the pieces of those respective teams are, I see Detroit being an "overachieving" team. Obviously Howard is better than Drummond, but I'm not talking a Finals berth. Just a marked improvement.

swagga
09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
MCW
Middleton
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson, vasquez, plumlee are all decent pieces so they can mix and match around jabari/giannis/monroe.

They can go big and small and have some depth. They also have a shitload of length on D.

Pistons lack milwaukee's depth and defense imo. Drummond is good, but defense is a team job. Imo milwaukee is in another tier.

swagga
09-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Getting blocks sometimes is not rim protection. Nor are Giannis' (likely) jumpshot blocks. But again, I'm just picking nits. The team is set up for future success better than basically anyone.

As for Detroit, I'm banking on Drummond becoming another Deandre Jordan in a sense. I see Drummond sucking the defense to him just by rolling, hard, to the rim. The Clippers run one of the most efficient offenses in the league, every year, partly because of that. Obviously Paul and Griffin are huge, and better than any two players Detroit has. I'm just talking the offensive strategy.

If Drummond can suck the defense in by rolling hard, and IF he can make the occasional post move, that will open things up for Blake, KCP and Ilyasova shooting the 3, or gives Jennings and Jackson more room to operate.

Considering Stan's effectiveness running an offense through Dwight Howard in Orlando, and looking at how similar the pieces of those respective teams are, I see Detroit being an "overachieving" team. Obviously Howard is better than Drummond, but I'm not talking a Finals berth. Just a marked improvement.

for that to work you need a legitimate star ball handler to take all the right decisions when that space is created. reggie jackson and jennings are FAR cries from cp3, from a decision making standpoint.

Levity
09-17-2015, 01:03 PM
for that to work you need a legitimate star ball handler to take all the right decisions when that space is created. reggie jackson and jennings are FAR cries from cp3, from a decision making standpoint.

in van gundys offense, not necessarily. he ran the same thing hes going to run in detroit with nelson and alston at point during that time. the offense is more reliant on the big man sucking in the defense while the ball moves around the perimeter (but i guess you can say im underselling what turk brought to that team). plus, a guy like steve blake will help jennings and jackson with their decision making.

Legends66NBA7
09-17-2015, 01:09 PM

MCW
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson

No spacing in the interior and no good 3 point shooters. Can't see Milwaukee running that lineup in today's league unless they just want to play defense.

swagga
09-17-2015, 01:12 PM
in van gundys offense, not necessarily. he ran the same thing hes going to run in detroit with nelson and alston at point during that time. the offense is more reliant on the big man sucking in the defense while the ball moves around the perimeter (but i guess you can say im underselling what turk brought to that team). plus, a guy like steve blake will help jennings and jackson with their decision making.

jameer/alston/turk were all cool players, not hot heads. Blake will do ok but imo jennings and jackson will alternate the good with the bad, and they'll get the brunt of the minutes at PG. Imo this will lead to detroit beating good teams and losing to bad teams, but not establishing a constant quality of offense, which in turn will keep them in mediocrity.

Optimus Prime
09-17-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm a big SVG fan, but it's hard to pick against the Bucks here. They pushed the Bulls to 6 without Jabari, and they added Monroe in the off-season. Pistons have been a dumpster fire for a long time and it will take a lot of work to dig them out of the landfill.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/joe-dumars.jpg

Dbrog
09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
No spacing in the interior and no good 3 point shooters. Can't see Milwaukee running that lineup in today's league unless they just want to play defense.

I know. I was just putting together a traditional lineup to show their immense advantages and length with that style. However I would heavily dispute the interior spacing issue. Literally all of the players I listed have midrange games except Henson. The interior spacing would be one of their biggest advantages.

poido123
09-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Bucks without a second thought

pegasus
09-17-2015, 01:29 PM

MCW
Giannis
Jabari
Monroe
Henson

Um, shooting?

Not saying they won't be pretty good though.

GimmeThat
09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
for one season and one season only?

with absolutely no possibility for mid-season trades, I may lean towards the Milwaukee Bucks. Reasons being unless the 8th pick Stanley Johnson can live up to his potential and then more, when the second half of the season arrives, I don't really see enough depth at the front court position making the veteran plays, knowing and anticipating how to get the easy baskets off of fatigue.

since the 82 games season is something any Rookie needs to adjust to themselves.

If there are any trade possibility, they have enough depth and possibly pieces to get another energy guy off the bench.

or unless they already see something in Aron Baynes (who apparently started for the Spurs for limited amount of games) can be that 8/5 guy.

The Bucks to me face the slight possibility of losing to teams in which they shouldn't. They are going to be more prone to making for the right plays, and even if it doesn't work, didn't score on the last try, to do it again. This being they are a talented enough group of player, who believes that with minor adjustments(whether technique, or reading the defense) they can figure out how to get the baskets.

unless MCW can up his game to that .44 range with 14/7.

this is how I feel about the team until Jabari Parker develops.

Dbrog
09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Um, shooting?

Not saying they won't be pretty good though.

Eh...again, they have some really nice midrange shooters. Other than that, they have some tremendous slash players and even post-players. I think the simple fact that multiple players on their team that can get a bunch of steals at any given time is a huge deal for offense. I don't think they will necessarily need to be the team hitting 8-10 threes a game in order to win.

outbreak
09-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Bucks have the second best young core in the league. Bucks easy