PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the current NBA - Adam Sliver take notice

90sgoat
09-20-2015, 12:30 PM
My realistic suggestions

Minimum age of 21

One of the main reasons the NBA looks like shit today is because of all the high school and one-and-done players. It is nothing against those players, they usually turn out well after some years, but their first 3-4 season they are in learning mode and don't understand fundamentals and team play.

This could be easily solved by introducing a minimum age of 21. What players do before that doesn't matter, more will go to college, some will go play in Europe or China, others will join the D-League. Here they will learn basics such as being able to hit an open mid range or how to make hookshots with both hands. They will also learn to be a team player, which is very important since all the high school players are used to only being their team's best player which is a problem since they don't learn how to be role players, which most of them end up being anyway.

Remove the no-charge zone

The no charge zone is massive bs because it doesn't teach penetrating players to be quick and nimble on their drives, instead they just barge into the paint and keep going. We don't want to see only either open layups or offensive foulds.

Contact doesn't have to mean instant fouls

The thing that bothers me the most and really makes the game unwatchable is the fact that refs today have a no contact rule on drives. Each and every time players collide the refs think they have to call something, either usually a defensive foul or an offensive foul.

Why not just make a rule that says that light contact is within the rules of the game, similar to how the ball is part of the hand on swipes?

If you go back and watch 90s NBA you see that refs don't whistle all the time at contact. This makes the game infinitely more watchable. Sometimes, players can collide and it's not a foul, try it on, it works.

Extend defensive 3 second rule to defensive 5 second rule

I realize the NBA won't remove their defensive 3 second rule, but at least extend it to 5 seconds.

What we want to see in the NBA is not open layups and dunks but acrobatic finishes around center players and thunderous in your face dunks.

If the NBA removed the defensive 3 second rule, the game would certainly slow down a great deal. It would instantly remove the penetrate-kick model of the current NBA because teams wouldn't help as much from the weak side, when there is a center lurking.

I can understand that most don't want a full zone, so a compromise is to extend the time to 5 seconds, which gives slower centers a chance to contest too. It would balance the game more, as opposed to now where centers are a dying breed.

Increase rookie contracts for players who stay in college

In order to encourage players to stay in college, there should be a bonus for each year of college, so that players don't have to gamble as much on jumping into the NBA from high school.

Penalize carrying and travelling

Nuff said, the NBA actually used to call travelling and carry, Allen Iverson got called for it plenty to begin with. Now everyone dribbles like AI and worse, many guards practically carry on every dribble.

iamgine
09-20-2015, 12:42 PM
My realistic suggestion:

Players only shoot free throw once.

FTs are boring if there's too many of em and a time waster. Make players only shoot it once per foul. If you get fouled when shooting a 3, instead of getting 3 FTs, you shoot one FT worth 3 points.

Fallen Angel
09-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Convert to the rulings in FIBA Basketball
Extend the three point line two feet beyond the current line.

Duderonomy
09-20-2015, 02:25 PM
As a marketing degree graduate here would be my suggestions.

Mid-season matchup during all-star break between the best records of each conference at that point. Winner get home court in the finals for their conference.

Move a low revenue team to Las Vegas.

Better merchandise of the archives and history of the league. We should have blu Ray box sets of teams history and proper compilations of all time greats highlights. If you don't value the past why should we give a sh** about the present.

Only 75% of players salaries guaranteed. If teams would pay you 75% to kick rocks you don't deserve the full amount.

I'll let more informated posters comment on how to fix flopping, hack-a-Jordan, etc.

sd3035
09-20-2015, 02:37 PM
My realistic suggestions

Minimum age of 21

One of the main reasons the NBA looks like shit today is because of all the high school and one-and-done players. It is nothing against those players, they usually turn out well after some years, but their first 3-4 season they are in learning mode and don't understand fundamentals and team play.

This could be easily solved by introducing a minimum age of 21. What players do before that doesn't matter, more will go to college, some will go play in Europe or China, others will join the D-League. Here they will learn basics such as being able to hit an open mid range or how to make hookshots with both hands. They will also learn to be a team player, which is very important since all the high school players are used to only being their team's best player which is a problem since they don't learn how to be role players, which most of them end up being anyway.

The no charge zone is massive bs because it doesn't teach penetrating players to be quick and nimble on their drives, instead they just barge into the paint and keep going. We don't want to see only either open layups or offensive foulds.

The thing that bothers me the most and really makes the game unwatchable is the fact that refs today have a no contact rule on drives. Each and every time players collide the refs think they have to call something, either usually a defensive foul or an offensive foul.

Why not just make a rule that says that light contact is within the rules of the game, similar to how the ball is part of the hand on swipes?

If you go back and watch 90s NBA you see that refs don't whistle all the time at contact. This makes the game infinitely more watchable. Sometimes, players can collide and it's not a foul, try it on, it works.

I realize the NBA won't remove their defensive 3 second rule, but at least extend it to 5 seconds.

What we want to see in the NBA is not open layups and dunks but acrobatic finishes around center players and thunderous in your face dunks.

If the NBA removed the defensive 3 second rule, the game would certainly slow down a great deal. It would instantly remove the penetrate-kick model of the current NBA because teams wouldn't help as much from the weak side, when there is a center lurking.

I can understand that most don't want a full zone, so a compromise is to extend the time to 5 seconds, which gives slower centers a chance to contest too. It would balance the game more, as opposed to now where centers are a dying breed.

In order to encourage players to stay in college, there should be a bonus for each year of college, so that players don't have to gamble as much on jumping into the NBA from high school.

Nuff said, the NBA actually used to call travelling and carry, Allen Iverson got called for it plenty to begin with. Now everyone dribbles like AI and worse, many guards practically carry on every dribble.

Under those rules, Lebald would be playing in the CBA or D league

sd3035
09-20-2015, 02:41 PM
As a marketing degree graduate here would be my suggestions.

Mid-season matchup during all-star break between the best records of each conference at that point. Winner get home court in the finals for their conference.

Move a low revenue team to Las Vegas.

Better merchandise of the archives and history of the league. We should have blu Ray box sets of teams history and proper compilations of all time greats highlights. If you don't value the past why should we give a sh** about the present.

Only 75% of players salaries guaranteed. If teams would pay you 75% to kick rocks you don't deserve the full amount.

I'll let more informated posters comment on how to fix flopping, hack-a-Jordan, etc.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/1978407.jpg

SpanishACB
09-20-2015, 03:08 PM
"If you don't value the past why should we give a sh** about the present."

said the "graduate"

stop smoking man, do something with your life

ralph_i_el
09-20-2015, 03:15 PM

said the "graduate"

http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/DonDraperFunnyFace-600x360.jpg
If you don't value the past, has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Duderonomy
09-20-2015, 05:49 PM

said the "graduate"

Yeah, the NBA is all about the here and now without promoting the history of the game. Harden who is Gilbert Arenas without the guns got a $200 mil shoe contract, while KAJ's net worth is $20 mil. What is being done for the legends of the game to get them some income?

DMV2
09-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Convert to the rulings in FIBA Basketball
Extend the three point line two feet beyond the current line.
You want FIBA rules but also want to extend the 3-point line? :lol

Until everybody starts hitting 50% from downtown, it's fine where it's at.

-----
For me, stop making ticky tack foul calls. Toughen up the league a little bit. Should be good...

90sgoat
09-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Yeah, the NBA is all about the here and now without promoting the history of the game. Harden who is Gilbert Arenas without the guns got a $200 mil shoe contract, while KAJ's net worth is $20 mil. What is being done for the legends of the game to get them some income?

Jews gonna jew though.

I agree that the legends ought to get compensation.

chips93
09-20-2015, 07:42 PM
My realistic suggestion:

FTs are boring if there's too many of em and a time waster. Make players only shoot it once per foul. If you get fouled when shooting a 3, instead of getting 3 FTs, you shoot one FT worth 3 points.

thats really sensible. so simple, and i dont see any drawbacks

Adam Silver
09-20-2015, 09:24 PM
My realistic suggestions

Minimum age of 21

First of all, it is Silver, not Sliver. Show some respect. Second, I'm not going to respond to all of these bad ideas, but why would rookies want longer rookie contracts if they are top tier? They will want out of those contracts sooner rather than later so they can get bigger contracts. All your solution will do is scare the really talented prospects from staying in college.

tmacattack33
09-20-2015, 09:46 PM
My realistic suggestions

Minimum age of 21

I've never heard of that or thought about that...but i like it.

Millslapped
09-20-2015, 09:52 PM
gross college rules
probably a college ball fan

HylianNightmare
09-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Create a four point shot

Round Mound
09-21-2015, 12:52 AM
:applause:

Muskarat
09-21-2015, 01:23 AM
If I'm a promising player there's not much persuading me to go to college when I can dominate overseas, get paid, and not have to eventually get caught up in a scandal that other people did my work because I was too busy playing ball or practicing

Annyong!
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM
I miss straight from high school players. When they are good, it makes it just that more impressive that they are 18.

Lakers Legend#32
09-21-2015, 03:01 AM
Return what was stolen. Bring the franchise squatting in OKC back to Seattle.

senelcoolidge
09-21-2015, 03:01 AM
These are some really great suggestions. Can we start a petition and get a million signatures and send it to the NBA. I like the 5 second defensive rule and calling travels. But I can't see the league doing that it's all about entertaining people and less about real basketball. Even though players are carrying the ball, it looks flashy and people like that.
If guys want to come out after high school if there is no minimum age limit than they should get some sort of contractual penalty. Perhaps their rookie contracts last longer. Minimum deals..something like that.

AirFederer
09-21-2015, 04:26 AM
Games are way too long, cut timeouts and time when shoting FTs
We need something to counter the drive and kick style, it gets boring.
The RS is way to long

Mike Armstrong
09-21-2015, 04:36 AM
I miss straight from high school players. When they are good, it makes it just that more impressive that they are 18.

Yarp.

HurricaneKid
09-21-2015, 12:02 PM
My realistic suggestions

Minimum age of 21

This is clearly and fundamentally illegal. Somehow the NFL won their age discrimination lawsuit based on "safety" concerns. But it is transparently illegal and if an 18 year old wanted to challenge the 1 year removed they could. They just wouldn't see any benefit in doing so as they would still be draft ineligible until they won their case, so it would be 1 year removed anyways.

Furthermore, the college game and the NBA game are not even CLOSE to the same game. Would you require electricians to do their internships in plumbing? Why wouldn't you want them to gather the skills they need to develop with teams that want to develop them?

NBA defenses are already overly reliant on off ball defenders. Allowing them to move under the basket to get charges is a ridiculous leap to take. On ball defenders are already excluded from the rules in re: the circle.

In short- there are already too many charges. This is a bad recommendation that would have enormous ramifications to curb drives.

Because the 90s game was ****. It was all holding, grabbing, and stopping the opposition from showing their athleticism. You WANT the players able to show what they can do rather than allow defenses to get into the offensive players and constantly slow them.

You clearly haven't watched much euro ball (where there is no 3 sec rule). Its ALL jumpshooting, all the time. If you allow teams to defend the rim without limitation there is no offensive play at the hoop. Apparently you want to watch a whole bunch of mid range shooting and games in the 70s.

The game as it is balances the allowance for strategic planning with the freedom to display and utilize offensive skills. You are asking for that athleticism to be removed from the game altogether with these rule changes.

Teams WANT years to develop their players. Players want to develop with the teams on the NBA game. Do you seriously think that a 20 year old that has to go to class and study 40 hours a week, has team obligations to keep boosters happy, has financial concerns, etc can develop their game as well as a 20 year old kid working with the best job training available with no other responsibilities getting in the way of his development? Because thats a silly contention.

Furthermore, you are creating a financial DISincentive for teams to draft college players as they cost teams more.

AI was far worse than anyone ever as far as carrying the ball. But sure, go ahead and call more travels. No one is opposed to that.

ralph_i_el
09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
This is clearly and fundamentally illegal. Somehow the NFL won their age discrimination lawsuit based on "safety" concerns. But it is transparently illegal and if an 18 year old wanted to challenge the 1 year removed they could. They just wouldn't see any benefit in doing so as they would still be draft ineligible until they won their case, so it would be 1 year removed anyways.

Furthermore, the college game and the NBA game are not even CLOSE to the same game. Would you require electricians to do their internships in plumbing? Why wouldn't you want them to gather the skills they need to develop with teams that want to develop them?

NBA defenses are already overly reliant on off ball defenders. Allowing them to move under the basket to get charges is a ridiculous leap to take. On ball defenders are already excluded from the rules in re: the circle.

In short- there are already too many charges. This is a bad recommendation that would have enormous ramifications to curb drives.

Because the 90s game was ****. It was all holding, grabbing, and stopping the opposition from showing their athleticism. You WANT the players able to show what they can do rather than allow defenses to get into the offensive players and constantly slow them.

You clearly haven't watched much euro ball (where there is no 3 sec rule). Its ALL jumpshooting, all the time. If you allow teams to defend the rim without limitation there is no offensive play at the hoop. Apparently you want to watch a whole bunch of mid range shooting and games in the 70s.

The game as it is balances the allowance for strategic planning with the freedom to display and utilize offensive skills. You are asking for that athleticism to be removed from the game altogether with these rule changes.

Teams WANT years to develop their players. Players want to develop with the teams on the NBA game. Do you seriously think that a 20 year old that has to go to class and study 40 hours a week, has team obligations to keep boosters happy, has financial concerns, etc can develop their game as well as a 20 year old kid working with the best job training available with no other responsibilities getting in the way of his development? Because thats a silly contention.

Furthermore, you are creating a financial DISincentive for teams to draft college players as they cost teams more.

AI was far worse than anyone ever as far as carrying the ball. But sure, go ahead and call more travels. No one is opposed to that.
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0299/30/1391248339230.jpg

kshutts1
09-21-2015, 01:08 PM
The only thing that really annoys me is not following the rules currently in place.

If the NBA starts to follow their own rules, then travelling, carrying, and hack-a-player will die a swift death.

On a second thought, one change I would like to see is that fouls may only be called on the player that INITIATES the contact.

Dwyane Wade pumps defender in to the air, then leans in to him? Foul on Wade.
Lebron drives to the hoop and hits someone going up to block him? Foul on Lebron.
Durant "rips through" the arms of the defender? Foul on Durant.

Whoever initiates contact is the one causing the foul, and thus the one that should be penalized (or a no call).

90sgoat
09-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Dwyane Wade pumps defender in to the air, then leans in to him? Foul on Wade.
Lebron drives to the hoop and hits someone going up to block him? Foul on Lebron.
Durant "rips through" the arms of the defender? Foul on Durant.

Whoever initiates contact is the one causing the foul, and thus the one that should be penalized (or a no call).

This would be a massive improvement, but sometimes you just need to swallow the whistle.

90sgoat
09-21-2015, 03:46 PM
:applause:

:cheers:

These are some really great suggestions. Can we start a petition and get a million signatures and send it to the NBA. I like the 5 second defensive rule and calling travels. But I can't see the league doing that it's all about entertaining people and less about real basketball. Even though players are carrying the ball, it looks flashy and people like that.
If guys want to come out after high school if there is no minimum age limit than they should get some sort of contractual penalty. Perhaps their rookie contracts last longer. Minimum deals..something like that.

Yes, there needs to be more of a premium to team performance over guaranteed money.

Levity
09-21-2015, 03:50 PM
My realistic suggestion:

imagine if that was the case. youd get non stop hack-a-(insert pathetic free throw shooter) every single game

kshutts1
09-21-2015, 04:04 PM
This would be a massive improvement, but sometimes you just need to swallow the whistle.
Definitely agree. Some should be "no call" situations. That's why I included that at the end of the post.

chips93
09-21-2015, 04:12 PM
imagine if that was the case. youd get non stop hack-a-(insert pathetic free throw shooter) every single game

why is that?

DJ shooting one FT for two points, is the exact same as DJ shooting two freethrows worth one each, from a points per possession perspective.

chips93
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
If I'm a promising player there's not much persuading me to go to college when I can dominate overseas, get paid, and not have to eventually get caught up in a scandal that other people did my work because I was too busy playing ball or practicing

its hasnt worked that well so far.

brandon jennings stock dropped a bit, mudiay too.

jeremy tyler was one of the top players in his class and he fell to the second round.

these foreign coaches that know that they'll only have the kid for a year dont care about his long term development.

on the other hand, coaches like calipari do care about the long term development, because it helps him continue to get the top recruits.

kshutts1
09-21-2015, 04:26 PM
why is that?

DJ shooting one FT for two points, is the exact same as DJ shooting two freethrows worth one each, from a points per possession perspective.
Possible outcomes?

Deandre Jordan shot 40% from the FT line last season.

One shot:
40% chance at 2 points
60% at zero.
.8 expected points.

Two shots:
16% chance at 2 points
48% chance at one point
36% chance at zero
.8 expected points.

Obviously .8 is the expected points, and will remain constant, but look at the "chance at zero". That's why.

ralph_i_el
09-21-2015, 04:45 PM
They only use that strategy because it has a better points-per-posession average than actually playing D. This wouldn't change that. Although it would create more variability. More attempts will lead to outcomes closer to the expected PPP.

chips93
09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Possible outcomes?

Deandre Jordan shot 40% from the FT line last season.

One shot:
40% chance at 2 points
60% at zero.
.8 expected points.

Two shots:
16% chance at 2 points
48% chance at one point
36% chance at zero
.8 expected points.

Obviously .8 is the expected points, and will remain constant, but look at the "chance at zero". That's why.

but you also have a higher chance of getting 2 points

it evens itself out

kshutts1
09-21-2015, 04:57 PM
but you also have a higher chance of getting 2 points

it evens itself out
We're discussing this change from the perspective of a team playing defense. If this change were implemented, it would make more sense for a team to hack-a-player that shoots less than 50%.

HurricaneKid
09-21-2015, 05:02 PM
why is that?

When you are behind at the end of games you are relying on variance to help you catch up. And having a 60% chance at another possession without the opposition scoring is awfully good for a team that is down.

Levity
09-21-2015, 05:08 PM
They only use that strategy because it has a better points-per-posession average than actually playing D. This wouldn't change that. Although it would create more variability. More attempts will lead to outcomes closer to the expected PPP.

why is that?

didnt really read too deep into his post. your guys quotes made me take a 2nd look, so i saw the 3pt foul with 1 shot equaling 3 pts. i thought he was suggesting you shoot only 1 freethrow worth 1 pt per foul. however, 1 freethrow for 2 pts doesnt seem like a solution to the issue (which really isnt an issue, if were just talking about too many freethrows per game)

chips93
09-21-2015, 05:11 PM
When you are behind at the end of games you are relying on variance to help you catch up. And having a 60% chance at another possession without the opposition scoring is awfully good for a team that is down.

good point

i was just thinking in general terms, and not from the perspective of a trailing team a trying to increase the variance

on the other hand, if this change was implemented, it would slightly reduce the hacking by a leading team, (like the spurs did in the playoffs), since they are trying to reduce the variance.

Nash
09-21-2015, 05:22 PM
lol 21 years old.

at 21 years old Messi scored 40 goals and voted 2nd best in the world
ronaldo was one of the best players in the EPL
nadal had won 3 grand slam titles
tiger won his first major
vettel his first race
bolt had broken the world record in 100m

and this dude wants to ban players into the league smh

Duderonomy
09-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Are all you content with how the NBA promotes the history of the game?

Look at what the WWE does with their product, I'm sure there are more basketball fans than wrestling fans.

Yet Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper's death made bigger headlines than Mose Malone's passing. When Moses is a conscious top 15-20 all time talent, when both wrestlers are agrueably that in their profession.

90sgoat
09-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Are all you content with how the NBA promotes the history of the game?

Look at what the WWE does with their product, I'm sure there are more basketball fans than wrestling fans.

Yet Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper's death made bigger headlines than Mose Malone's passing. When Moses is a conscious top 15-20 all time talent, when both wrestlers are agrueably that in their profession.

David Stern didn't do sh*t as a leader, he was saved by MJ and Bird/Magic before that. Even his claim to have spread the game internationally was all to do with the Dream Team and nothing to do with Stern.

Stern and Silver, like the rest of the NBA mob are only there because of tribal reasons.

The NBA has decades of amazing games which only needs to be digitally improved and fixed.

Proof of the failure of Silver and Stern is how awful the league became after MJ retired. First he botched the transition into a post MJ league, which should have been to go back to promoting TEAMS not PLAYERS like in the 80s.'

Then he failed to properly put Allen Iverson his place and allowed thug culture to take over.

Then all the failed negotiations with player unions.

Stern really sucked.

Duderonomy
09-29-2015, 02:34 PM
David Stern didn't do sh*t as a leader, he was saved by MJ and Bird/Magic before that. Even his claim to have spread the game internationally was all to do with the Dream Team and nothing to do with Stern.

Stern and Silver, like the rest of the NBA mob are only there because of tribal reasons.

The NBA has decades of amazing games which only needs to be digitally improved and fixed.

Proof of the failure of Silver and Stern is how awful the league became after MJ retired. First he botched the transition into a post MJ league, which should have been to go back to promoting TEAMS not PLAYERS like in the 80s.'

Then he failed to properly put Allen Iverson his place and allowed thug culture to take over.

Then all the failed negotiations with player unions.

Stern really sucked.
Exactly, back when DVD were actually selling you couldn't find hardly anything other than the annual champions season or a the Lakers or Bulls dynasty box set.
ESPN hasn't even had the half hour recaps of the past finals specials since 2010.
Really the seasons before aren't worth 30 mins of airtime?

And it's hard to find NBA merch from other teams unless you just want to except what is leftover.

90sgoat
09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Exactly, back when DVD were actually selling you couldn't find hardly anything other than the annual champions season or a the Lakers or Bulls dynasty box set.
ESPN hasn't even had the half hour recaps of the past finals specials since 2010.
Really the seasons before aren't worth 30 mins of airtime?

And it's hard to find NBA merch from other teams unless you just want to except what is leftover.

I want to say, it was almost easier to find DVD stuff than online which is a travesty! I got a great box set of Jordan's game from rookie to second 3 peat. Where do I go online to watch DVD quality full games now - legally?

It's a joke honestly, they could make billions from all the people wanting to see full games of the legends.

Maybe they're afraid that people won't like the modern product then?

Duffy Pratt
09-29-2015, 06:19 PM
On a non-shooting foul in the penalty situation, allow the team that was fouled to decline the penalty and take the ball from out of bounds with a minimum of 14 seconds on the clock. Will eliminate the hack a strategy, and speed up the end of games which are nothing more than a parade of intentional fouls.

Contract the league. Fewer teams means better concentration of talent and more competitive games.

Contract the season. Sixty games would be more than enough anyway. From this board, it appears that the only reason to have a regular season is to get an MVP award that can then be used in interminable GOAT discussions.