PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's All-Time 5

KembaWalker
09-22-2015, 12:22 AM
Shaquille O'Neal was asked his all-time starting five. His answer:

"Bill Russell won 11 championships. Charles Barkley is my guy, but I like Karl Malone. Then there's the guy who made me who I am -- Dr. J [Julius Erving]. I've got Michael [Jordan] at the two. Then, I'm going to go with the big guard with Magic Johnson at the one."

Magic-MJ-DrJ-Malone-Russell

Speaking the truth right here though :bowdown:

"I see a problem with answering these questions. A lot of people get their feelings hurt. Then some of you guys [reporters] be trying to start trouble, like Shaq leaving Kobe [Bryant] off. Then it's Shaq and Kobe.

Gileraracer
09-22-2015, 02:35 AM
I can't say if it's wrong or right, I don't want to hurt anybodys feelings :(

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 02:38 AM
He so obviously left Kareem and Duncan off bc he didnt wanna acknowledge big men arguably better than him :lol

Marchesk
09-22-2015, 06:34 AM
I'm confused. Is he going with Charles or Karl at PF? And what did he mean that Dr J made him who he was? Is Shaq saying he patterned his game off Erving?

:biggums:

Marchesk
09-22-2015, 06:35 AM
He so obviously left Kareem and Duncan off bc he didnt wanna acknowledge big men arguably better than him :lol

You forgot someone.

KembaWalker
09-22-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm confused. Is he going with Charles or Karl at PF? And what did he mean that Dr J made him who he was? Is Shaq saying he patterned his game off Erving?

lmao Karl, just sucking up to Charles as well

Spurs5Rings2014
09-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Still mad my boy swept him and whooped his ass en route to multiple titles.

:lol

BuffaloBill
09-22-2015, 08:07 AM
You forgot someone.

No he didn't

Dr Hawk
09-22-2015, 08:10 AM
No he didn't

You are forgetting of someone too

aj1987
09-22-2015, 08:19 AM
You are forgetting of someone too
No he didn't.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-22-2015, 09:15 AM
08 CP3
07 Kobe
86 Bird
04 KG
00 Shaq

wrecks that team

feyki
09-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Pettit,Elgin,Duncan > Karl n Charles .

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Bill

aj1987
09-22-2015, 09:46 AM
08 CP3
07 Kobe
86 Bird
04 KG
00 Shaq

wrecks that team
Only Shaq is clearly better at his position.

Magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CP3
MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe
Bird and Dr. J (peaks) are extremely close
Malone = KG
Russell <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Shaq

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-22-2015, 09:47 AM

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe
Malone = KG
04 KG is much better than any version of Karl.

If u think peak Magic was that much better than 08 CP3 then youre not too bright:lol :lol defense matters BTW, they are VERY, VERY close actually and statistically CP3 is actually better. The gap between Bird and DrJ, or MJ and Kobe is bigger

aj1987
09-22-2015, 09:57 AM
04 KG is much better than any version of Karl.
I know you're a KG stan, but damn! Malone is almost always rated higher than KG and he doesn't even have a ring. Yeah, not. KG is not stopping Malone.

If u think peak Magic was that much better than 08 CP3 then youre not too bright:lol :lol defense matters BTW, they are VERY, VERY close actually and statistically CP3 is actually better.
In what ****ing world is CP3 better statistically?

Magic - 20/7/11/2 on 61% TS
CP3 - 19/4/10/2 on 58% TS

Rookie MJ won a ring and FMVP while averaging 18/11/9/3 (a near triple double) on 60% TS. 22/11/9/3 in the Finals, while PEAK Paul lost in the 2nd round. Dude never even made it out of the 2nd round in his entire career. Cries after winning a 1st round series and scored 4 points and 6 TOV's in a 58 point home loss against the Nuggets.

They're not even in the same stratosphere.

The gap between Bird and DrJ, or MJ and Kobe is bigger
Nah. Peak Bird and peak Dr. J are pretty much the same tier and MJ is like a couple of tiers above Kobe.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-22-2015, 10:04 AM
I know you're a KG stan, but damn! Malone is almost always rated higher than KG and he doesn't even have a ring. Yeah, not. KG is not stopping Malone.

If anyone ranks Karl above KG its because of his insane longevity. No honest basketball fan thats seen both play believes Karl was ever as good as 04 KG

In what ****ing world is CP3 better statistically?

Magic - 20/7/11/2 on 61% TS
CP3 - 19/4/10/2 on 58% TS

Rookie MJ won a ring and FMVP while averaging 18/11/9/3 (a near triple double) on 60% TS. 22/11/9/3 in the Finals, while PEAK Paul lost in the 2nd round. Dude never even made it out of the 2nd round in his entire career. Cries after winning a 1st round series and scored 4 points and 6 TOV's in a 58 point home loss against the Nuggets.

They're not even in the same stratosphere.

Why are u using career stats :biggums: obviously CP isnt close for career im talking just peak. I like how u ignore turnovers and put steals as equal as if CP doesnt completely sht on Magic on defense:lol :lol :lol

Alot of the advanced ones. PER, WS/48, defensive stats, ORTG etc. Magic wasnt even the best player on his team in the rookie year. Great job winning FMVP with a prime KAJ who was already dominating that series and had a clutch performance the game before to put them into that position. James Worthy, Cooper, Magic had way better casts than CP3 and played in a MUCH worse conference

Nah. Peak Bird and peak Dr. J are pretty much the same tier and MJ is like a couple of tiers above Kobe.
no theyre not Bird is a couple tiers above him. Its the same gap between MJ and Kobe. 86 Bird is top 5 alltime. DrJ is like top 15-20

aj1987
09-22-2015, 10:14 AM
If anyone ranks Karl above KG its because of his insane longevity. No honest basketball fan thats seen both play believes Karl was ever as good as 04 KG
Again, how is KG shutting down Malone? He really can't.

Why are u using career stats :biggums: obviously CP isnt close for career im talking just peak. I like how u ignore turnovers and put steals as equal as if CP doesnt completely sht on Magic on defense:lol :lol :lol
CP3 is probably one of the most overrated defenders in the league. Didn't WB take a massive steaming shit on him in '14? How is he gonna stop a 6'9" Magic?

Magic - 23.9 PPG 12.2 APG 6.3 RPG 1.7 SPG 0.5 BPG 3.8 TOV's on 60.2% TS
CP3 - 21.2 PPG 11.6 APG 4.0 APG 2.7 SPG 0.1 BPG 2.5 TOV's on 57.6% TS

Alot of the advanced ones. PER, WS/48, defensive stats, ORTG etc. Magic wasnt even the best player on his team in the rookie year. Great job winning FMVP with a prime KAJ who was already dominating that series and had a clutch performance the game before to put them into that position. James Worthy, Cooper, Magic had way better casts than CP3 and played in a MUCH worse conference
Magic has 5 MVP's, 3 FMVP's, and 3 MVP's. We can have his discussion after CP3 loses his WCF virginity.

no theyre not Bird is a couple tiers above him. Its the same gap between MJ and Kobe. 86 Bird is top 5 alltime. DrJ is like top 15-20
Christ!

:facepalm :facepalm

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Again, how is KG shutting down Malone? He really can't.

When did i say he was gonna shut him down?

CP3 is probably one of the most overrated defenders in the league. Didn't WB take a massive steaming shit on him in '14? How is he gonna stop a 6'9" Magic?

Magic - 23.9 PPG 12.2 APG 6.3 RPG 1.7 SPG 0.5 BPG 3.8 TOV's on 60.2% TS
CP3 - 21.2 PPG 11.6 APG 4.0 APG 2.7 SPG 0.1 BPG 2.5 TOV's on 57.6% TS

Do u want me to list off all the guards that torched Magic that the Lakers had to switch Scott and Cooper onto:roll: :roll: CP takes the challenge and yeah he couldnt guard Westbrook one on one, no one really can besides Tony Allen. Did u miss CP3 destroying Westbrook in game 1 hitting a hundred 3s on him then OKC putting Westbrook on Redick and Thabo on CP3 the rest of the series:lol :lol Fact is CP guards and does well against most guards/perimeter players in the league, often defending the best player and running the offense. Magic could only do one of those

CP3 has done a better job against bigger players defensively than Magic has against smaller players. Neither guy can guard the other well, but CP3 is going to be playing WAY better help, rotation and team D. Magic is mostly useless on defense outside of gambling

Damn Magic only has a .6 APG advantage despite playing with much better talent:lol :lol

Christ!

:facepalm :facepalm
Only MJ and Shaq are clearly better than 86 Bird. Peak KAJ and Wilt round out the top 5. There are multiple other players peak better than DrJ. I think your boy Wade was better at his peak too

aj1987
09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
When did i say he was gonna shut him down?
Moot point then, isn't it? As I said. KG = Malone. Neither is gonna outplay the other.

Do u want me to list off all the guards that torched Magic that the Lakers had to switch Scott and Cooper onto CP takes the challenge and yeah he couldnt guard Westbrook one on one, no one really can besides Tony Allen. Did u miss CP3 destroying Westbrook in game 1 hitting a hundred 3s on him then OKC putting Westbrook on Redick and Thabo on CP3 the rest of the series Fact is CP guards and does well against most guards/perimeter players in the league, often defending the best player and running the offense. Magic could only do one of those
And yet, CP3 has never made it out of the 2nd round on some stacked teams.

Dude, there's a reason why almost everyone has Magic in the top 5 and CP3 is probably not even top 75.

CP3 has done a better job against bigger players defensively than Magic has against smaller players. Neither guy can guard the other well, but CP3 is going to be playing WAY better help, rotation and team D. Magic is mostly useless on defense outside of gambling
Help D on MJ, Dr. J, Malone, and Bill?

One elbow from Malone and CP3's flopping ass might end up in the ICU. MJ's trash talking would render him useless.

Dude ain't doing SHIT against Magic.

Damn Magic only has a .6 APG advantage despite playing with much better talent
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ast_per_g_season.html?lid=header_leaders

Only MJ and Shaq are clearly better than 86 Bird. Peak KAJ and Wilt round out the top 5. There are multiple other players peak better than DrJ. I think your boy Wade was better at his peak too
It's more because of team accomplishments. Dr. J is underrated AF on this board and in general.

Wade? He had an great peak and was AMAZING on both ends, but it's close.

Wade's Rings
09-22-2015, 11:07 AM

He said he likes Charles but he's going to go with Karl on his All-Time starting team.

He's called Dr. J the GOAT before so he probably means Dr. J inspired him to play ball.

Odinn
09-22-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised to see he left out Timmy for Karl.
Duncan and O'Neal have utmost respect for each other as far as I know.

Magic 32
09-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Still mad my boy swept him and whooped his ass en route to multiple titles.

No sweep was ever as brutal as 2001.

Ever.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7-nZx9CcAEFfv4.jpg

feyki
09-22-2015, 01:06 PM
No sweep was ever as brutal as 2001.

Ever.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7-nZx9CcAEFfv4.jpg

Sidekick sweep :D . If Kareem have Shaquille career chances , he will be 9 times champ(95,96,00,01,02,03,04,05,06) , 7 times mvp(95,96,97,98,99,00,01) , 6 times fmvp(95,96,00,01,02,05) .

Don't overrate Shaquille.

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 01:16 PM

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe
Malone = KG

lol

jordans ahead of kobe by a hair. both guys would drop 30 on each other

aj1987
09-22-2015, 03:03 PM
lol

jordans ahead of kobe by a hair. both guys would drop 30 on each other
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Peak MJ and peak Kobe?

MJ was a DPOY level defender, who was a top 1-3 GOAT perimeter defenders, GOAT level scorer, elite playmaker, and a very good rebounder for his position.

Peak Kobe was at BEST 2 tiers below peak MJ.

Sidekick sweep . If Kareem have Shaquille career chances , he will be 9 times champ(95,96,00,01,02,03,04,05,06) , 7 times mvp(95,96,97,98,99,00,01) , 6 times fmvp(95,96,00,01,02,05) .

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Jeff shouldn't really open up registration anymore.

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Sidekick sweep :D . If Kareem have Shaquille career chances , he will be 9 times champ(95,96,00,01,02,03,04,05,06) , 7 times mvp(95,96,97,98,99,00,01) , 6 times fmvp(95,96,00,01,02,05) .

this. Can you imagine if Kobe played with Kareem instead of the ego-driven Shaq? They would 6 peat. Wouldnt even be fair.

:roll:

aj1987
09-22-2015, 03:19 PM
this. Can you imagine if Kobe played with Kareem instead of the ego-driven Shaq? They would 6 peat. Wouldnt even be fair.

I can.

Kobe shoots 36% with almost still in his prime Kareem and shoots his team out of a Championship. Kareem leaves the Lakers and joins the Heat. Wins 2-3 rings with Wade.

Kobe ends up with 5 rings, 2 FMVP's, and an MVP.
Wade end up with 4-5 rings, 2-3 FMVP's, and and an MVP (considering that KAJ stays with the Heat till he retires in '13).

The end.

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
I can.

Kobe shoots 36% with almost still in his prime Kareem and shoots his team out of a Championship. Kareem leaves the Lakers and joins the Heat. Wins 2-3 rings with Wade.

Kobe ends up with 5 rings, 2 FMVP's, and an MVP.
Wade end up with 4-5 rings, 1-2 FMVP's, and and an MVP (considering that KAJ stays with the Heat till '09 or '10).

The end.

no.

aj1987
09-22-2015, 03:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rDGwRa8.jpg
You sure do.

Watterson is a genius, BTW. Probably the GOAT cartoonist.

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Peak MJ and peak Kobe?

MJ was a DPOY level defender, who was a top 1-3 GOAT perimeter defenders, GOAT level scorer, elite playmaker, and a very good rebounder for his position.

Peak Kobe was at BEST 2 tiers below peak MJ.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Jeff shouldn't really open up registration anymore.

jordan wasnt even the best defender on his own team during his peak you f*cking liar

and kobes peak defensive skills were right up there. he shares the all time record for defensive 1st teams with jordan for god sake

kobes an even more potent scorer ( better contested shot maker, more points in 3 quarters than jordan ever scored through regulation )

and kobes proven to be a more potent play maker ( lead all 5 titles in assists, pippen lead all 6 titles in assists, jordan only had the edge in a few playoffs )

and kobe was probably a more skilled rebounder for "his position"

especially considering jordan was stronger, jumped higher and had longer arms, bigger hands.. putting up the same average

peak kobe is nearly equal to peak jordan ... jordan only has the edge in career averages because he could pad from day 1... then played on a defensive minded team where 1 guy could chuck 25 shots a game without disrupting the flow

and jordans finals mvps are only due to having a perfectly balanced team in a weak era facing scrub chokers in the finals

give kobe the 90's bulls roster and he wins fmvp 100% of the time aswell

GimmeThat
09-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Shaq must really like the 2008 Redeem Team too then.

or again, the combination of the 2008 + 2012 Team.

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 03:39 PM
You sure do.

Watterson is a genius, BTW. Probably the GOAT cartoonist.

same could be applied to you. You have your own opinions and others have their. Don't be so condescending.

feyki
09-22-2015, 03:39 PM

70-77 Kareem level with 2000-2004 Kobe , got 5 straight championship .

Kobe will be 7-8 times champ with Kareem. Everybody not lucky like Magic :D .

Wade's Rings
09-22-2015, 03:40 PM
jordan wasnt even the best defender on his own team during his peak you f*cking liar

and kobes peak defensive skills were right up there. he shares the all time record for defensive 1st teams with jordan for god sake

No. Kobe would have a DPOY if his skills were up there with Jordan.

kobes an even more potent scorer ( better contested shot maker, more points in 3 quarters than jordan ever scored through regulation )

Where all of Kobe's Scoring records in the Playoffs? :confusedshrug:

and kobes proven to be a more potent play maker ( lead all 5 titles in assists, pippen lead all 6 titles in assists, jordan only had the edge in a few playoffs )

Now you've resorted to lying and making up shit :oldlol:

and kobe was probably a more skilled rebounder for "his position"

especially considering jordan was stronger, jumped higher and had longer arms, bigger hands.. putting up the same average

Jordan has a higher rebound average and in his Prime was getting 7+ something we haven't seen Kobe do :confusedshrug:

peak kobe is nearly equal to peak jordan ... jordan only has the edge in career averages because he could pad from day 1... then played on a defensive minded team where 1 guy could chuck 25 shots a game without disrupting the flow

and jordans finals mvps are only due to having a perfectly balanced team in a weak era facing scrub chokers in the finals

give kobe the 90's bulls roster and he wins fmvp 100% of the time aswell

:oldlol:

bizil
09-22-2015, 03:43 PM
GOAT wise, I think Shaq has a great list other than not having Duncan. When u factor in ABA shit, Doc has a GREAT CASE as the GOAT SF. Magic and MJ are CLEARLY the GOAT at PG and SG respectively. And Russ has a great case as the GOAT center.

Going by peak, I think the only clear cut choices for me are Magic and MJ. Besides that, u could argue Bron or Bird at SF. Can't go wrong either way. At PF, u could argue Duncan (brought a dominant center's skillset), Barkley (the most gifted offensive force), Malone (the best PROTOTYPE PF), or KG (the most versatile PF). And at center, u could roll with Wilt, Kareem, or Shaq.

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 03:44 PM
but let's look at the players MJ was competing against for DPOY:
Mark Eaton
vs
DPOY candidates in the 2000s:
Duncan, Ben Wallace, Bruce Bowen, Zo, Mutombo, etc

the competition wasn't even close.

aj1987
09-22-2015, 05:27 PM
No. Kobe would have a DPOY if his skills were up there with Jordan.

Where all of Kobe's Scoring records in the Playoffs? :confusedshrug:

Now you've resorted to lying and making up shit :oldlol:

Jordan has a higher rebound average and in his Prime was getting 7+ something we haven't seen Kobe do :confusedshrug:

:oldlol:
:applause: :applause:

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 05:40 PM
You forgot someone.

Big Dick Bird?

Yeah, Shaq is prob threatened by him too. Wouldnt surprise me.