PDA

View Full Version : How alpha was larry bird??

NZStreetBaller
09-22-2015, 01:19 AM
I never watched larry i was born in 88. But ive heard him quote things like "give me the ball and get out of the way"

And he also put down his competition during the 3 point contest.

Plus ive heard hes never ever backed down to anyone. Taken some pretty hard charges. And always plays his heart out.

Was this guy as alpha as he seems. He seems lretty dope especially for a tall skinny whiteboy

masonanddixon
09-22-2015, 01:22 AM
I never watched larry i was born in 88. But ive heard him quote things like "give me the ball and get out of the way"

And he also put down his competition during the 3 point contest.

Plus ive heard hes never ever backed down to anyone. Taken some pretty hard charges. And always plays his heart out.

Was this guy as alpha as he seems. He seems lretty dope especially for a tall skinny whiteboy

Why does his skin color matter?

Plus he was well built, dude was like 6'8'' 250lbs

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Lare-bear was highly alpha.

Its somethin about the SF position, I swear. Coque size and alpha leadership just seem to be really prevelant. Between Larry and Lebron it's just like.... jesus. Probably the GOAT 1-2 punch all-time at any position.

Kobe_6/8
09-22-2015, 01:38 AM
He was very alpha. He has always loved to fight since childhood, and he could back it up with great trash talk.

24-Inch_Chrome
09-22-2015, 01:45 AM
Read some of the stories about his trash talk, the man was a legend.

NZStreetBaller
09-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Read some of the stories about his trash talk, the man was a legend.

Will do. Im sure this guy is called the goat sf for a reason

JimmyMcAdocious
09-22-2015, 02:10 AM
Most alpha creature in universe history, or merely the history of organized sports?

The left handed story boggles my mind.

Gileraracer
09-22-2015, 02:28 AM
Larry was the definition of an Alpha. Ugly, skinny white dude not backing down from anybody.

Legend. Larry Legend :applause:

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 02:30 AM
It's pretty interesting how his demeanor as an executive is the opposite of the way he acted as a player. You'd expect him to be boisterous and full of bravado like a Mark Cuban or Masai Ujiri. But he's pretty modest and demurring.

Round Mound
09-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Total alpha and probably one of the top 5 biggest trash talkers ever. He was cold blooded as Jordan or even more but he wasnt very athletic or fast or could leap off the ground much so there is very few mixes of dunks or fast breaks. He was the master of the slow tempo game, the most skilled and best all around player of the 80s, bar none the smartest player ever. At 6`9 1/2 ft and 230 lbs was like a mix of Dirk, Stockton and Cowens. He was easily the best passing SF ever as far as stationary position passing. He was one of the goat far range shooters, a great rebounder (tough as hell) and a great team defender. As Steven A Smith says..."Dr J didn`t punch him for nothing, he was talking to him" in that game he was up like 42 pts to 6 pts. There are many mixes of him in youtube so check them out....here is his fight with Dr. J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oF34p3-rQ

bigt
09-22-2015, 02:50 AM
Will do. Im sure this guy is called the goat sf for a reason

Enjoy a sample...

http://www.viralhoops.com/larry-bird-trash-talk/

24-Inch_Chrome
09-22-2015, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=]During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him.

During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person,

ralph_i_el
09-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I wonder how much impact his trash talking had on his opponent's moral?

I really admire his ability to play with patience and control.

OldSchoolBBall
09-22-2015, 10:38 AM
IMO one of the two most alpha players in history along with Jordan. Bird was a bad man.

Derka
09-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Most alpha creature in universe history, or merely the history of organized sports?
The left handed story boggles my mind.
For those uninitiated who don't know this story, it bears clarifying as the legend of this one has grown a bit beyond the reality.

On Valentine’s Day, 1986, in a game against the Portland Trailblazers at Memorial Coliseum, Larry Bird decided to challenge himself by finishing EVERY basket (other than a jumpshot) with his left hand. He ended up scoring 22 points with his left hand, nearly half his total!
Bird finished with 47 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists. He hit the game tying shot to send the game to OT, and then made the game winning shot.
The part that just makes it is that he was so bored with his competition that he just up and decided to finish left-handed for the hell of it. Just to make it more fun.

HylianNightmare
09-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Wish bron had this mentality

ralph_i_el
09-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Do we have a measurement of Bird's dick size? That's really what's important imo

Jailblazers7
09-22-2015, 11:23 AM
It's pretty interesting how his demeanor as an executive is the opposite of the way he acted as a player. You'd expect him to be boisterous and full of bravado like a Mark Cuban or Masai Ujiri. But he's pretty modest and demurring.

He was always a very reserved and quiet guy publicly tho. I think physical competition is what brought out the bravado in him.

Harison
09-22-2015, 11:31 AM
All you need to know is this:

https://youtu.be/4JZtm6LZOA4?t=2m22s

What was happening was insane, on the biggest stage, super clutch winner against Jordan, everybody were going crazy, and then keep watching till you see Bird's reaction at 4:04. I have never seen anything as alpha as this in NBA's history, period. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hey Yo
09-22-2015, 11:45 AM

What was happening was insane, on the biggest stage, super clutch winner against Jordan, everybody were going crazy, and then keep watching till you see Bird's reaction at 4:04. I have never seen anything as alpha as this in NBA's history, period. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Yeah, pretty smooth by Bird. Wonder if he would have reacted if a foul was called on Miller for the huge push-off on MJ. Ref was looking right at it.

Bankaii
09-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Back to back 8 point games in the Finals and his team still won by 20+ points. So alpha:bowdown:

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Back to back 8 point games in the Finals and his team still won by 20+ points. So alpha:bowdown:

Alpha as fck!! Doing other things to guarantee his team would win.
:bowdown:

someone else had 8 points in the finals but his team lost. kobe
:facepalm

Blue&Orange
09-22-2015, 01:17 PM
He got more offensive rebounds with a broken back than Lebron in his prime. That's how alpha he was.

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 01:19 PM
He got more offensive rebounds with a broken back than Lebron in his prime. That's how alpha he was.

out rebounding Moses Malone in the finals = alpha as fck!

AnaheimLakers24
09-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Greatest sf EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! only elgin comes close

riseagainst
09-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Greatest sf EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! only elgin comes close

:lol

:applause:

bizil
09-22-2015, 03:04 PM
As alpha as any perimeter player EVER! But he ALSO had great teammates. And he was an EPIC ALL AROUND PLAYER! If he wanted to, he could have stolen some scoring titles from Jordan. But he had guys like McHale, Parish, Ainge, and DJ. So he got his 25-28 points in the flow of the game. But when it was clutch time, NOBODY was better than Bird. I put MJ and Bird on that same level.

GimmeThat
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
well he likes his review after a longer time period compared to others, because he thinks he knows the game well. And just well enough to have a fair ruler in his mind.

Lebronxrings
09-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Wish bron had this mentality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

DoctorP
09-23-2015, 01:51 PM
As alpha as it gets.

r0drig0lac
09-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Alpha as fck!! Doing other things to guarantee his team would win.

someone else had 8 points in the finals but his team lost. kobe
:facepalm

:lol

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Why does his skin color matter?

Plus he was well built, dude was like 6'8'' 250lbs
he was like a bit over 6'9 and 220.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Lot to agree with here, but lots to quibble with
he wasnt very athletic or fast or could leap off the ground much so there is very few mixes of dunks or fast breaksNot many dunks, but fantastic in transition, I'm thinking of that play, he makes the steal, throws an around the back pass to Gerald Henderson and then fills the lane on the break.

Athleticism: Not a leaper, and didn't have super quick feet, but strong, great stamina, good balance, great reflexes, quick hands and superb coordination. Much quicker and mobile before the injuries. first back injury was in 1985.

He was the master of the slow tempo game,
I disagree with this if you mean he only played slow. He loved to play fast. Again he was a great fast break player. He was able to play both fast and slow, but I remember that play he blocked a pass, jumped up to catch the ball and threw the outlet before he hit the ground.

a great rebounder (tough as hell) and a great team defender.
Absolutely to both of these. He was often the top rebounder on the Celtics teams not Parish, not McHale. Averaged 15.3 rebounds in the 1981 Finals while Moses Malone was going for his. His team defense was stellar because his sense of where the play was going made him a terror off the ball.

bar none the smartest player ever.
This might very well be true. He had a feel for the game that was ridiculous. He was like Gretzky, if you looked at Gretzky you wouldn't think a smallish guy like him was going to be the best hockey player ever, but he just knew how things would happen, how to make them happen quicker than other players.
The steal against the Pistons in the 1987 playoffs, who else in the history of the game makes that play? Chaos all over the court because the ref gives Isiah the ball while the Celtics think they might be getting the ball and Bird fakes covering a guy at the top of the key and then makes a steal at the baseline. That truly seemed like he was seeing the play in slow motion.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Back to back 8 point games in the Finals and his team still won by 20+ points. So alpha:bowdown:They won one of those games and perhaps his 13 rebounds, 10 assists and 5 steals and 2 blocks helped.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 08:27 PM
out rebounding Moses Malone in the finals = alpha as fck!

:bowdown:not for the series. Moses had 16 Bird had 15.

I wonder if there was another 6 game stretch were Bird averaged 15 rebounds. I suspect not. But he knew going against Moses that they needed as much defensive rebounding as they could get.

SyRyanYang
09-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Bird was basically anti-Lebron in all aspects of basketball

Vaniiiia
09-23-2015, 08:36 PM

That's the look of jealousy and regret.

You guys don't know anything about human behavior. :facepalm

You morons need to stop trying to analyze body language. Clearly you people are clueless..

oarabbus
09-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Bird was more alpha than Jordan

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 09:16 PM
https://youtu.be/5t6TFJwSBWo?t=58

Perhaps Bird's best game. And his version of Alpha.

Larry Bird had 30 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists and 9 steals for the Celtics to come within one steal of recording a quadruple-double as Boston beat the Utah Jazz, 110-94, at Salt Lake City.

But, when informed of his opportunity, Bird chose not to go back into the game after being taken out in the third quarter. He totaled 33 minutes.

The only quadruple-double officially recorded was by Nate Thurmond of the Chicago Bulls, who had 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocked shots in a 120-115 overtime victory over Atlanta on Oct. 18, 1974.

Statistics on blocked shots and steals have been kept only since 1973, so there may have been others that went unrecorded.

He was one steal away from a historic quadruple double AND two steals away from the NBA record for steals in a game, but he didn't go back into the game.

What was the point? They had already blown them out.

Round Mound
09-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Lot to agree with here, but lots to quibble withNot many dunks, but fantastic in transition, I'm thinking of that play, he makes the steal, throws an around the back pass to Gerald Henderson and then fills the lane on the break.

Athleticism: Not a leaper, and didn't have super quick feet, but strong, great stamina, good balance, great reflexes, quick hands and superb coordination. Much quicker and mobile before the injuries. first back injury was in 1985.

I disagree with this if you mean he only played slow. He loved to play fast. Again he was a great fast break player. He was able to play both fast and slow, but I remember that play he blocked a pass, jumped up to catch the ball and threw the outlet before he hit the ground.

Absolutely to both of these. He was often the top rebounder on the Celtics teams not Parish, not McHale. Averaged 15.3 rebounds in the 1981 Finals while Moses Malone was going for his. His team defense was stellar because his sense of where the play was going made him a terror off the ball.

This might very well be true. He had a feel for the game that was ridiculous. He was like Gretzky, if you looked at Gretzky you wouldn't think a smallish guy like him was going to be the best hockey player ever, but he just knew how things would happen, how to make them happen quicker than other players.
The steal against the Pistons in the 1987 playoffs, who else in the history of the game makes that play? Chaos all over the court because the ref gives Isiah the ball while the Celtics think they might be getting the ball and Bird fakes covering a guy at the top of the key and then makes a steal at the baseline. That truly seemed like he was seeing the play in slow motion.

:applause: