PDA

View Full Version : Cavs and Tristan Thompson $14 million apart in contract negotiations

Mawly-G
09-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Source (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13709587/tristan-thompson-cleveland-cavaliers-millions-apart-start-training-camp-approaches)

Apparently the Cavs are offering $80 million, but this dude thinks he's worth $94 million.

:biggums: :kobe: :whatever:

FreezingTsmoove
09-22-2015, 02:26 PM
He's worth it. Imagine how badly the Cavs lose if he wasn't there to catch the Lebricks

Mawly-G
09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Don't get me wrong...

Dude is a workhorse on the glass. But $94 million doe?

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
do the cavs even sniff the finals without him?

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Don't get me wrong...

Dude is a workhorse on the glass. But $94 million doe?

in the 2015 playoffs he averaged as many offensive rebounds per game as chicago dennis rodman

plus he has elite defense

AnaheimLakers24
09-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Worth every penny. Best hustle big right now

HurricaneKid
09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
3rd string PF (Love, LeBron should be playing backup 4 mins) wants Max?

Take the QO and don't let the door hit you on the way out next year.

Lebron23
09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
They might as well Bring Back Anthony Bennett. Wolves are planning to buy out his contract.

NattyPButter
09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
of course they do...ppl are overrating him.

Lebron23
09-22-2015, 02:45 PM

The guy lacks an offensive game. And didn't even play for Team Canada in the FIBA America's Championship. He's not even a Shareef Abdur Raheem or even a Glenn Robinson type of players. I hope Dan Gilbert don't offer him a contract. And just sign Anthony Bennett who had a good performance in the FIBA Americas.

Lebron23
09-22-2015, 02:51 PM

They still have Anderson Varejao, and they signed Sasha Kaun from Europe. They won't miss him. Just sign Bennett, and develop him under LeBron and Coach Blatt.

http://kingjamesgospel.com/2015/09/22/anthony-bennett-to-be-waived-cavs-return/

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Worth every penny. Best hustle big right now

its not even just hustle. he perfected the skill of positioning/tapping the ball to himself over bigger guys

FreezingTsmoove
09-22-2015, 03:01 PM
They still have Anderson Varejao, and they signed Sasha Kaun from Europe. They won't miss him. Just sign Bennett, and develop him under LeBron and Coach Blatt.

http://kingjamesgospel.com/2015/09/22/anthony-bennett-to-be-waived-cavs-return/

Starting to think this guy is actually Lebron. I noticed it from the delusion

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

cavs dont make it past chicago or atlanta without thompson

Lebron23
09-22-2015, 03:07 PM

They still have Kevin Love. Atlanta sucks this season. Gasol and Butler are the only bright spot for the Bulls. They won't miss this one dimensional player.

Derka
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
I just...

I get that the TV contract is going to inflate all of these salaries in a few years. I get the impact he had on their playoff run with Love out. I watched it like the rest of you.

I still can't wrap my head around $23 million a year for that.

SwishSquared
09-22-2015, 03:16 PM
The guy lacks an offensive game. And didn't even play for Team Canada in the FIBA America's Championship. He's not even a Shareef Abdur Raheem or even a Glenn Robinson type of players. I hope Dan Gilbert don't offer him a contract. And just sign Anthony Bennett who had a good performance in the FIBA Americas.Well, I wouldn't play either in an international competition where I could risk injury and lose all negotiating leverage with the Cavs.

But TT has been beyond ridiculous. I think bdreason mentions this in some of these threads, but TT has played half his career shooting with one hand and the other half with his non-dominant hand. And the fact that he thinks he's worth a max is crazy. At this rate, I don't think Rich Paul will pull the similar compromise he + Bledsoe made last summer where they combined a 4-year max (less than max annual raises) + the value of his QO and averaged that over a 5-year contract. Maybe that's what the Cavs are offering and he wants a 5-year max.

kennethgriffin
09-22-2015, 03:18 PM
They still have Kevin Love. Atlanta sucks this season. Gasol and Butler are the only bright spot for the Bulls. They won't miss this one dimensional player.

who said anything about this season?

i said they dont make it past them in the 2015 playoffs without thompson

love is a good replacement but he wont fill in the void for interior defense and rebounding

loves offensive rebounding went down to 1 per game since he moved out to a stretch 4 role

hes soft as f*ck now

thompson was getting 5 offensive boards a night in the playoffs

DonDadda59
09-22-2015, 03:36 PM

The Cavs don't get past the Bulls without Thompson. He was huge for them, his offensive rebounding alone was a massive game changer. Really the only people overrating Tristan Thompson is Tristan Thompson and his agents. $94 million? :roll:

But he put up 10 PPG and 11 RPG on 56% FG in the playoffs. 10/13 on 50% in the finals.

For comparison sake- in '97, Dennis Rodman averaged 4 PPG and 8 RPG on 37% FG in the playoffs and 2.3 PPG and 7.7 RPG on 25% FG in the finals.

Tristan is a very key part of what the Cavs do and plan to do in the future.

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Lebron literally just played in his FIFTH consecutive finals with two diff teams.

But you think he couldnt have made his most recent one without christian thompson and some random wind defenders?

:roll:

Clifton
09-22-2015, 03:44 PM
To be honest, I might just cave here.

Everyone knows the Cavs' organization is worthless and this is simply a Lebron James championship push. The money will come in if they win, and TT will help them win.

Heck I might say to him, "Here's 98 million. You're important to us." Just make people happy and make the Finals again. Is it really worth the 14 mil to lose him or make him unhappy?

This situation is unique. The agent, Lebron, the franchise, the roster handpicked by Lebron... this is what the cavs are, you really just need to ride it at this point.

FireDavidKahn
09-22-2015, 03:45 PM
With Kyrie and Love the Cavs win the championship.

FireDavidKahn
09-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Everyone knows the Cavs' organization is worthless and this is simply a Lebron James championship push. The money will come in if they win, and TT will help them win.

Heck I might say to him, "Here's 98 million. You're important to us." Just make people happy and make the Finals again. Is it really worth the 14 mil to lose him or make him unhappy?

This situation is unique. The agent, Lebron, the franchise, the roster handpicked by Lebron... this is what the cavs are, you really just need to ride it at this point.
People never realize that the NBA is a business. The Cavs are going to be taking it in the ass next year financially. You can't just signed everyone to ridiculous contracts and say "herp, derp, lets go"

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 03:49 PM
The Cavs don't get past the Bulls without Thompson. He was huge for them, his offensive rebounding alone was a massive game changer. Really the only people overrating Tristan Thompson is Tristan Thompson and his agents. $94 million? :roll:

But he put up 10 PPG and 11 RPG on 56% FG in the playoffs. 10/13 on 50% in the finals.

For comparison sake- in '97, Dennis Rodman averaged 4 PPG and 8 RPG on 37% FG in the playoffs and 2.3 PPG and 7.7 RPG on 25% FG in the finals.

This depends on whom you replace him with. Sure, in the circumstance last yesr in which they didnt have Love and Varejao, and Thompson was the last qualified player on the roster, he got minutes, came up big and helped them win.

But that's not a typical circumstance. If hes not there next year, of the following year, they will have more capable replacements than they did against the Bulls when they were already down major players at the position.

And I do appreciate what he does. But you can get someone like Reggie Evans to do similar things for 2 million a season. Or a healthy Varejao for 8 million a season. Theres no reason to pay Thompson THAT much simply bc he was the only option available to them last year and helped them out. If they want to replace him for less going forward, IMO they can.

GIF REACTION
09-22-2015, 03:51 PM

Derka
09-22-2015, 03:54 PM

I read this a few times and actually, a well-reasoned perspective. I don't know that I'm swayed, but seeing it from that view I might not be as inclined to knock the Cavs for this even if they don't end up winning a chip as part of this push.

DonDadda59
09-22-2015, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=GIF REACTION]

GIF REACTION
09-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Sweet animation :applause:

I'm here watching NBA Hardwood Classics. Bulls-Jazz Game 5 1997 AKA The Flu Game. Rodman scored a putback in the 3rd quarter. It was his first made field goal since game 2 :eek:

Brian Williams getting all his minutes.
Sweet comment

I'm here watching Game 7 NBA finals 2013 AKA The Dare me to shoot game. Lebron just hit his 3rd three pointer. Clutchest game 7 performer in history.

DonDadda59
09-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Sweet comment

I'm here watching Game 7 NBA finals 2013 AKA The Dare me to shoot game. Lebron just hit his 3rd three pointer. Clutchest game 7 performer in history.

You should watch the 2014 series right after :crazysam:

And can you name another superstar Historically who saw literally NO defense in the finals? And it still took a miracle shot from Jesus himself to stop ole boy from being 1/6, 0/3 against Timmy D and the Spurs alone. :yaohappy:

GIF REACTION
09-22-2015, 04:07 PM
You should watch the 2014 series right after :crazysam:

And can you name another superstar Historically who saw literally NO defense in the finals? And it still took a miracle shot from Jesus himself to stop ole boy from being 1/6, 0/3 against Timmy D and the Spurs alone. :yaohappy:
http://i.imgur.com/eS0SsaP.gif

Human Error
09-22-2015, 04:12 PM
$94m is too much for a backup. The Cavs should let him go.

DonDadda59
09-22-2015, 04:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eS0SsaP.gif

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lebron-im-coming-home.jpg

Old man Timmy and the new look Spurs finna wholly wop this clown again in the finals. Ain't gonna be no more miracles. :yaohappy:

chips93
09-22-2015, 04:15 PM

thats because love happened to be injured

presuming love comes back, tristan isnt gonna be getting more than 10/8 with very good defense. thats not worth 23 million a year, regardless of what he did when love was out.

its not just the 14 million

the cavs are in the repeater tax, and well above the cap already. that 14 million extra turns into at least double that, probably closer to 50 million when taxes are taken into account.

ArbitraryWater
09-22-2015, 04:23 PM

I remember you urself saying he's an offensive rebounder and thats it.. and he is... 80 mil. is too much already smh

DMV2
09-22-2015, 04:26 PM
So what was the point of the 2011 CBA renewal/agreement?

Back then we got only a handful of guys getting max contracts they didn't deserve. i.e. Shard, JJ, Gilbert...

Now, every single player seems to be getting $18-19 mil per year...even back-ups.

I'm all for players getting that money but damn, it seems to only work for non-star players favors. While legit franchise players and stars rarely get contracts for their actual value.

HurricaneKid
09-22-2015, 04:26 PM

And the Cavs don't win G2 of the Finals without Delly coming up big. Does that mean they should max out Delly too?

They have two better 4s. And he really can't play the 5 (he is 6'7-6'8" and gets manhandled). And the Cavs already have Mozzy and Andy V there too. He shot 34% from outside of 3 feet on the season (playoffs included). And thats his breakout season that makes him want max money?

And if he DOES end up signing for 24M+ next offseason the Cavs could just add some filler to get a TPE anyhow. I would MUCH rather have a 24M TPE if I am the Cavs. They can fit in a guy like JJ who is a UFA next offseason and the Nets are rebuilding. That actually hits an area of need.

I would bet a massive amount of money that TT takes whatever deal is on the table at 11:59 PM on 9/30. Otherwise he risks not getting any minutes heading into his free agency.

And none of that speaks to Rich Paul being forever in LBJs debt. He was literally selling jerseys out of his trunk until LeBron brought him in. Do people really think he is going to pull talent away from LeBron's team? Because if he can't leverage LeBron and isn't at Klutch anymore he probably doesn't have a single client. I mean the industry is rife with Wharton MBAs and this dude didn't go to college.

HurricaneKid
09-22-2015, 04:29 PM

Back then we got only a handful of guys getting max contracts they didn't deserve. i.e. Shard, JJ, Gilbert...

Now, every single player seems to be getting $18-19 mil per year...even back-ups.

I'm all for players getting that money but damn, it seems to only work for non-star players favors. While legit franchise players and stars rarely get contracts for their actual value.

The owners getting a bigger slice of the pie. If anyone ever told you anything different and you believed it you are a fool.

chips93
09-22-2015, 04:34 PM

the middle class of nba players, non-rookies, making less than max money are definitely overpaid.

theres only a small number of guys who make the max but on an open market could make more, and there are so few of them it makes sense for the players union to cater to the much larger section of players in the middle. plainly because there are more of them.

if i was in the players union, and i knew i never be a true superstar, id want to keep the rules the way they are, keep a cap on max contracts, and ensure that I kept getting paid big bucks.

as long as there are caps on max salaries, superstars like lebron and curry will be underpaid, while guys like aminu and tristan thompson will be overpaid.

Clifton
09-22-2015, 04:36 PM
People never realize that the NBA is a business. The Cavs are going to be taking it in the ass next year financially. You can't just signed everyone to ridiculous contracts and say "herp, derp, lets go"
I know it's a business, but owners still don't hesitate to throw 80 million dollars at career backups. I assume they're still making a profit. What's 14 million when you've got the most important and popular player in the league and are making the finals every year? They'll make money.

In almost no other situation would I be okay with paying TT more than average-starter money. But with Rich Paul and a handpicked Lebron James roster that could very well win the title the next 5 years (why not? if healthy)...

Look the payroll is going to be outrageous no matter what. But this isn't the Nets. This team will make the Finals every year and will bank on Lebron's jersey sales and TV money every year. I'd seriously consider it.

It's better to be the Spurs and Warriors, and get by on organizational excellence alone. But the Cavs aren't an excellent organization, they're Lebron's construct. If that's what you are you have to go with it

I<3NBA
09-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Cavs should pay whatever to keep him. whatever they spend will be recouped anyway.

as long as James is happy, Cavs will be happy.

i still see TT improving a lot on defense and offense.

His ceiling could be as high as Rodman.

there's no sense in letting him walk if they won't be able to find a better replacement anyway.

and they may blame themselves later if they let him leave and he went and develop an offensive game later.

DMV2
09-22-2015, 04:45 PM
the middle class of nba players, non-rookies, making less than max money are definitely overpaid.

theres only a small number of guys who make the max but on an open market could make more, and there are so few of them it makes sense for the players union to cater to the much larger section of players in the middle. plainly because there are more of them.

if i was in the players union, and i knew i never be a true superstar, id want to keep the rules the way they are, keep a cap on max contracts, and ensure that I kept getting paid big bucks.

as long as there are caps on max salaries, superstars like lebron and curry will be underpaid, while guys like aminu and tristan thompson will be overpaid.
Never thought of it that way, but that does make a lot of sense.

Thank goodness franchise and star players get endorsement deals. That $200 million Adidas deal for Harden don't seem all that crazy now.

HurricaneKid
09-22-2015, 05:01 PM
I know it's a business, but owners still don't hesitate to throw 80 million dollars at career backups. I assume they're still making a profit. What's 14 million when you've got the most important and popular player in the league and are making the finals every year? They'll make money.

In almost no other situation would I be okay with paying TT more than average-starter money. But with Rich Paul and a handpicked Lebron James roster that could very well win the title the next 5 years (why not? if healthy)...

Look the payroll is going to be outrageous no matter what. But this isn't the Nets. This team will make the Finals every year and will bank on Lebron's jersey sales and TV money every year. I'd seriously consider it.

It's better to be the Spurs and Warriors, and get by on organizational excellence alone. But the Cavs aren't an excellent organization, they're Lebron's construct. If that's what you are you have to go with it

What other backup is getting 80M?

Rolo started every game he was healthy for this season. Got 13M/.

The backups that were signed to big deals were Aminu and Koufos. Combined they will make less than TT turned down (15.5M vs 16M).

Its a crazy market but Thompson is overplaying his hand here. He doesn't defend the rim. He doesn't know what hand to shoot FTs with (is equally awful with both). He can't shoot from outside the restricted circle (34% from > 3 ft last year). His defense has been massively overrated.

Had a GREAT run ducking in behind help defenders. Thats just not a skill worth >16M/.

FireDavidKahn
09-22-2015, 07:37 PM

It isn't $14 million. Like someone mentioned above, they are so far beyond the tax limit that $14 million a year is going to be exponentially more expensive then that.

jbryan1984
09-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I like TT as a player. He's never missed a game, I've watched every game he has played in since he was a rookie. But he is not worth this. If we didn't have Love I'd say sure but not as a backup should he be making that, sixth man or not. We should just trade him for a couple good assets. What team needs a starting power forward right now?

Hey Yo
09-22-2015, 07:51 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lebron-im-coming-home.jpg

Old man Timmy and the new look Spurs finna wholly wop this clown again in the finals. Ain't gonna be no more miracles. :yaohappy:
Yeah...it was a miracle in 2013. LeBron and the Heat were able to win game 7 with Bosh, Ray, Mike Miller and Birdman combining for about 85mins and 3pts for the game. Andersen was the only one who scored out of the 4

Lebron23
09-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Yeah...it was a miracle in 2013. LeBron and the Heat were able to win game 7 with Bosh, Ray, Mike Miller and Birdman combining for about 85mins and 3pts for the game. Andersen was the only one who scored out of the 4

I remember that.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400467339

RedBlackAttack
09-22-2015, 09:45 PM
I like TT as a player. He's never missed a game, I've watched every game he has played in since he was a rookie. But he is not worth this. If we didn't have Love I'd say sure but not as a backup should he be making that, sixth man or not. We should just trade him for a couple good assets. What team needs a starting power forward right now?
His agent is using the substantial leverage that he has over the Cavs... that includes a no-trade clause if he is signed to a qualifying offer.

This isn't just a matter of 'Player A' being worth 'amount x' ... it is also about the lack of options for the Cavs in terms of trading TT (they can't) and/or signing a similarly productive FA (they can't).

It really comes down to how much Dan Gilbert is willing to spend and how much David Griffin is willing to bend to meet Rich Paul's demands. I have little doubt that Tristan Thompson -- the man himself -- wants this deal to be done as much as the Cavs and the fans do. This is simply how Rich Paul operates.

He attempts to use every ounce of leverage to hold a franchise's feet to the fire in an effort to squeeze every last nickel and dime out of the team he's dealing with. I've said it before... it has worked well for his clients in the past and there is a high likelihood that it will work here too, but there will come a time where teams will just stop wanting to deal with him and he'll begin doing damage to his clients' reputations. Teams will shy away from players -- if they can -- just by their association with Paul.

He seems to have no foresight whatsoever.

Tristan is as affable an NBA player -- who is respected by his teammates, coaches and fans alike -- as you will find in the league. It was reported basically from his first year with the Cavs that he was the guy in the Cavs' locker room that the franchise would go to any time they needed him to be a spokeperson or do a charity function or appearance for the fans or whatever else. He'd never decline them.

He is a true NBA ironman, literally never missing any time for any injury, illness, etc.

If there was ever a player with a sterling reputation across the board, it was TT coming into this offseason and it took him years to build it here.

And now you have this agent -- who has done this to other franchises in the past -- soiling Thompson's name locally and nationally. People don't see this as Rich Paul attempting to milk every penny out of the Cavs, which is actually what is happening. The fans see it as Thompson overshooting his value by millions. And, it will hurt that reputation he took so much care and time in building.

I dislike Rich Paul so much that I'd actually be OK with giving Tristan the $94 million -- but only if he agrees to drop Paul and get a new agent. That's obviously not going to happen with the LeBron connection, but I'd like to see it.

Paul is another in the long line of unskilled hangers-on that has been given far more power than he ever deserved thanks to pure happenstance ... having grown up in the vicinity of LeBron James.

Such a shame.

Kblaze8855
09-22-2015, 10:05 PM
What should he be doing if not getting all his client can get?

Is he supposed to be reasonable? In the real world?

If he's getting guys paid I don't know that he owes anyone else a thing.

In the end it's owners who enable these people. Don't be bullied and fold they won't keep trying it.

Long as owners are willing to buy success at prices that can't be justified by talent they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Besides in the end dude works for the player. Tristan isn't some innocent onlooker. If he wanted a reasonable deal he could sign it tomorrow.

He's an adult. He can be held accountable for the actions of his representation.....so long as he chooses to employ them.

If he wanted it to end it ends tonight.

Akrazotile
09-22-2015, 10:21 PM

In the end it's owners who enable these people. Don't be bullied and fold they won't keep trying it.

Long as owners are willing to buy success at prices that can't be justified by talent they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Besides in the end dude works for the player. Tristan isn't some innocent onlooker. If he wanted a reasonable deal he could sign it tomorrow.

He's an adult. He can be held accountable for the actions of his representation.....so long as he chooses to employ them.

Quite right.

Hes got a tender, hes not goin anywhere, he'll be there this season... theres no need for either side to press the panic button.

As ridiculous as some of these asking prices seems to us, this is what agents are supposed to do. And sometimes they do get owners to pony up, so why not? Once it's resolved and everyone moves on nobody will remember or care about all the posturing and bluster.

chips93
09-22-2015, 10:42 PM
It really comes down to how much Dan Gilbert is willing to spend and how much David Griffin is willing to bend to meet Rich Paul's demands. I have little doubt that Tristan Thompson -- the man himself -- wants this deal to be done as much as the Cavs and the fans do. This is simply how Rich Paul operates.

i know what you mean in that short term, overpaying TT only affects how much cash ferry has to fork out, but long term, 3-5 years from now, say TT doesnt develop much further, which is very possible imo, that contract could be an albatross and if an injury occurs to the big 3, it could really hamstring the team.

He attempts to use every ounce of leverage to hold a franchise's feet to the fire in an effort to squeeze every last nickel and dime out of the team he's dealing with. I've said it before... it has worked well for his clients in the past and there is a high likelihood that it will work here too, but there will come a time where teams will just stop wanting to deal with him and he'll begin doing damage to his clients' reputations. Teams will shy away from players -- if they can -- just by their association with Paul.

For all the distaste he might engender in front offices by playing such hardball, it'll equally help him attract players since they know he'll get them paid.

dhsilv
09-22-2015, 11:02 PM
The cavs and without looking if they sign this are going to have 4 players making in the area of 75 million with of course huge pay increases each year. Add in Varejao is at 10 for 3 more years. The question is if one of these guys gets hurt or two of them, do they have even marginal flexibility to replace someone? Wouldn't you rather have 2 above average guys than 1 more above average guy?

I haven't studied the cap much but this seems insane.

G-train
09-22-2015, 11:17 PM
And now you have this agent -- who has done this to other franchises in the past -- soiling Thompson's name locally and nationally. People don't see this as Rich Paul attempting to milk every penny out of the Cavs, which is actually what is happening. The fans see it as Thompson overshooting his value by millions. And, it will hurt that reputation he took so much care and time in building.

I don't actually think it will hurt his reputation at all.
I think when he signs his 94m deal in October, it will be largely forgotten by November.
And in June, everyone in Ohio will say "I'm glad we paid him'.

Gileraracer
09-23-2015, 02:12 AM
This guy isn't even worth 80mil.

Clifton
09-23-2015, 04:41 AM
What other backup is getting 80M?

Rolo started every game he was healthy for this season. Got 13M/.

The backups that were signed to big deals were Aminu and Koufos. Combined they will make less than TT turned down (15.5M vs 16M).

Its a crazy market but Thompson is overplaying his hand here. He doesn't defend the rim. He doesn't know what hand to shoot FTs with (is equally awful with both). He can't shoot from outside the restricted circle (34% from > 3 ft last year). His defense has been massively overrated.

Had a GREAT run ducking in behind help defenders. Thats just not a skill worth >16M/.
Didn't Reggie Jackson get 80 million? Or was it 70.

He was backing up a top 5 player in OKC, but because of his play style he is a 6th man, not a starter, IMO.

It isn't $14 million. Like someone mentioned above, they are so far beyond the tax limit that $14 million a year is going to be exponentially more expensive then that.
Fair enough. I don't know the details.

But my point is, don't they have the most awful payroll in the league by far already? They have 3 max players, TT will make near-max money either way, Mozgov makes I think 10 mil, and then whatever the rest of their roster makes. If they get hit for more than 14 extra, that sucks, but they're still a money making machine because of Lebron, that leans on Rich Paul, and the 2 players have on-court chemistry. What's the difference between paying 200 million and 240 million every year when you're getting back several times that in revenue? And esp. when that revenue is expected to spike because of the new TV deal?

Clifton
09-23-2015, 04:47 AM

In the real world, the Spurs and the Heat and the Lakers and the Celtics and the Warriors and the Pistons are the only ones to win a championship in the last 15 years, and all of those teams featured unselfish players who cared about winning more than money. Many of those squads' stars had taken paycuts a year or two before they won. (Add Dallas who I forgot about. Dirk.) The Lakers would have won several more if it were not for ego. In the "real world" you speak of, unselfishness on the court and off the court wins, and selfishness tears good teams apart and makes losers.

There is a degree to which you want a good agent who knows how to fight for his client. This fiasco has exceeded that. Rich Paul commits party fouls on a regular basis to try to push the system for everything it's worth and it's going to tear the NBA fraternity apart.

The Cavs might still succeed because they're a unique situation, but this doesn't bode well for the NBA's future, with every star picking their city and every role player exploiting the system for a max deal.

Kblaze8855
09-23-2015, 07:28 AM
"In the "real world" you speak of,
unselfishness on the court and off the court wins, and selfishness
tears good teams apart and makes losers."

Loser's with 40 million in talent and 90 million in fact are absolutely doing the right thing morally and professionally. Accepting more money then you're worth because your boss is willing to give it to you doesn't make you a bad person. it makes your boss either a bad businessman or someone willing to purchase success at any price which is his decision.

if your contract hurts your employer that's his mistake not yours.

if I'm in the NBA I'm not looking to get rich. I'm looking for dynasty money. The kind of money to set every generation of my family to come to never have to be where I've been.

Once I achieve that then I worry about giving a billionaire owner a few more dollars so a city full of people who don't give a shit about me or my family personally can win something that doesn't really matter for my primary objective.

I'm going to be unselfish selfish at 24 and leave my children 30 million less dollars so some people will be happy who will happily boo me if I get traded?

As long as a player is real about it I don't care if they absolutely rip off every team. Just don't get high and mighty later and get upset when people say you're the reason they can't sign anybody.

Once I'm Kobe or kg rich then yes I'll leave a little on the table for a backup two guard. Till then **** anyone with a problem with my ridiculous salary. I didn't take 600000 jumpers for fans who don't care about me. I did it for my son

iamgine
09-23-2015, 07:57 AM

Loser's with 40 million in talent and 90 million in fact are absolutely doing the right thing morally and professionally. Accepting more money then you're worth because your boss is willing to give it to you doesn't make you a bad person. it makes your boss either a bad businessman or someone willing to purchase success at any price which is his decision.

if I'm in the NBA I'm not looking to get rich. I'm looking for dynasty money. The kind of money to set every generation of my family to come to never have to be where I've been.

Once I achieve that then I worry about giving a billionaire owner a few more dollars so a city full of people who don't give a shit about me or my family personally can win something that doesn't really matter for my primary objective.

I'm going to be unselfish selfish at 24 and leave my children 30 million less dollars so some people will be happy who will happily boo me if I get traded?

As long as a player is real about it I don't care if they absolutely rip off every team. Just don't get high and mighty later and get upset when people say you're the reason they can't sign anybody.

Once I'm Kobe or kg rich then yes I'll leave a little on the table for a backup two guard. Till then **** anyone with a problem with my ridiculous salary. I didn't take 600000 jumpers for fans who don't care about me. I did it for my son
Well it's a marketplace after all. Any price you put on yourself is fair. If Sasha Vujacic wants $500 million a season that's up to him and any team who's willing to take that.

GimmeThat
09-23-2015, 08:22 AM

owners don't buy success, they seek to extend/accumulate success given the rules that are handed to them.

yes, you can buy success if you already have the best of everything, facility/marketing/training staff etc.

but then even so, your roster spots is limited.

and even if you apply the one year rule
you still need to have the best judgement

GimmeThat
09-23-2015, 08:55 AM

do I regret those times and moments in which I've bruised other's ego?
perhaps, but then I try to believe that there were good times
just as much as they have their very own life beyond one that involves me

as for when I've been humbled?
the glimpse moments of the most ordinary people in defying the question as to 'what's the point'

if science and logic were my friends, I may as well had claimed it my ego

what is the cause of justice? more than the question of what is the cost of justice

the undeniable intolerance in preventing histories to be written in a fashion in which only paves way for more tampered youth

do I regret those time I've bruised other's ego?

keep your moral, and I'll keep my submission personal, my record with the whole.

pegasus
09-23-2015, 11:36 AM
He was their best player in the playoffs in terms of what he was bringing to the team without taking anything away (like missing all shots from outside the paint, etc.). He abused all of the other teams' bigs and changed the outcome of several games just with his offensive rebounding. On top of that, his defense was great and he finished around the rim much better than some of you guys are giving him credit for. Yes he can't shoot from outside, but why should he have to as a big? Just to make it easier for someone who can't shoot the ball himself?

HurricaneKid
09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Didn't Reggie Jackson get 80 million? Or was it 70.

He was backing up a top 5 player in OKC, but because of his play style he is a 6th man, not a starter, IMO.

Reggie Jackson started every single game he has played as a Piston. The PISTONS were the ones to pay him. WTF does OKC have to do with that? Are you suggesting Jackson isn't going to start for them next year?!?

I<3NBA
09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
the Cavs will regret it if they let him go, and they will be glad they overpaid for him if they don't.

GoatBoy
09-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Lebron messing with TT's head big time.

chips93
09-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Lebron messing with TT's head big time.

to my surprise the opposite is being reported

ohio.com say that lebron has yet to privately apply any pressure on the cavs to resign him, and publicly he hasnt said anything about resigning TT since the very beginning of the off season.

G-train
09-23-2015, 10:16 PM
to my surprise the opposite is being reported

ohio.com say that lebron has yet to privately apply any pressure on the cavs to resign him, and publicly he hasnt said anything about resigning TT since the very beginning of the off season.

Yes he talked about it:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13432927/lebron-james-tristan-thompson-cleveland-cavaliers-need-back

GimmeThat
09-23-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm just gonna say I don't recommend people going on that Atkins diet

healthy carbs over no carbs

Edit:

MJ(Mean John)
09-24-2015, 12:08 AM
UNLESS you can play TT and Love together, (WHICH I DOUBT they plan to do full time), NO WAY you pay him that much money.

Give me Ed Davis @ 7mil instead.

RedBlackAttack
09-24-2015, 12:31 AM
UNLESS you can play TT and Love together, (WHICH I DOUBT they plan to do full time), NO WAY you pay him that much money.

Give me Ed Davis @ 7mil instead.
People still don't understand the situation, obviously. Very frustrating explaining the same thing over and over. If the Cavs could just sign anyone in the league that they wanted at any number they felt like tossing out there, these negotiations would be going very differently.

The whole reason Rich Paul is holding the Cavs' feet to the fire and they may eventually wilt is that they have no other avenue of adding talent and depth to the team.

Either they sign Tristan and bring back what was an important piece to an NBA Finals team or they don't sign him and his roster spot is taken by some random player at a league minimum salary.