PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen

Sarcastic
09-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Anyone else been following this scandal? I'm not sure the company will survive this.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Anyone else been following this scandal? I'm not sure the company will survive this.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Coach Eddie
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
They are facing up to $18 billion in penalties.

KNOW1EDGE
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
Come on dude, nothing is going to happen to VW. They will pay off whoever they need to pay off and go about their business.

I don't even think what they did is that bad, nor do I care whatsoever

fiddy
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
This is just another hypocrisy of the western world, "dirty diesel VW cars", while in the U.S. people drive 4, 5 and 6 liters cars/trucks like its nothing, and then cry global warming :facepalm

You are talking about the biggest automotive manufacturer in the world.

Sarcastic
09-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Not only that, the hit to the brand name, and class action lawsuits, will plummet the stock. It's already lost 1/5 of its value. The scope of this thing will affect 11 million cars, and maybe more.

UK2K
09-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Stock was down 20% yesterday and 20% today. Would be a good time to buy in a week or so if you think they're gonna make a comeback.

Sarcastic
09-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Stock was down 20% yesterday and 20% today. Would be a good time to buy in a week or so if you think they're gonna make a comeback.

The CEO is gonna resign this week. There will be an investigation from the EU, and other countries. The stock is gonna go down a lot more before it ever comes back. The way I see it, the only way they survive is if the German government bails them out, but the name may be too toxic at that point.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Let it fall.

b1imtf
09-22-2015, 03:27 PM
They're most likely not the only ones who did it though. First to get caught.

UK2K
09-22-2015, 03:48 PM
The CEO is gonna resign this week. There will be an investigation from the EU, and other countries. The stock is gonna go down a lot more before it ever comes back. The way I see it, the only way they survive is if the German government bails them out, but the name may be too toxic at that point.

All over their 'reputation'?

Does anyone give a **** they lied on emissions tests? I don't. Not that I own a VW, but knowing they cheated emissions tests doesnt make me any less likely to buy a Jetta.

BurningHammer
09-22-2015, 04:08 PM
ish may be low on features and not up to date with new technologies...

but jeff aint ever lied or cheated the game

:bowdown:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Coach Eddie
09-22-2015, 04:33 PM
This is just another hypocrisy of the western world, "dirty diesel VW cars", while in the U.S. people drive 4, 5 and 6 liters cars/trucks like its nothing, and then cry global warming :facepalm

VW is the biggest in the world?

Coach Eddie
09-22-2015, 04:37 PM

They make $220M per year. $18B in penalties would take 81 years to pay off.

Jailblazers7
09-22-2015, 04:41 PM
They make $220M per year. $18B in penalties would take 81 years to pay off.

:wtf:

VW's net income is like $10-12B.

Coach Eddie
09-22-2015, 04:44 PM
:wtf:

VW's net income is like $10-12B.

But there revenue is only $220M.

Nanners
09-22-2015, 04:47 PM

no

their revenue is ~200 billion euros and their yearly profits are around 10 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Nobody is going to be fined 18 billion.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 04:48 PM
:facepalm

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Does anyone give a **** they lied on emissions tests? I don't.
I would be that other car companies do.

Jailblazers7
09-22-2015, 04:49 PM

lol no. I'm guessing you were looking at stats that showed $220,000,000 for their revenue but you didn't read the note that says "all numbers in thousands."

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 04:53 PM
according to this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11360994/Toyota-stays-out-in-front-in-as-worlds-best-selling-auto-company.html) the biggest by sales are

1 Toyota
2 VW
3 GM

Nanners
09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
according to this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11360994/Toyota-stays-out-in-front-in-as-worlds-best-selling-auto-company.html) the biggest by sales are

1 Toyota
2 VW
3 GM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/28/volkswagen-surpasses-toyota-worlds-largest-automaker-first-half-2015/30772509/

fiddy
09-22-2015, 04:57 PM

1 Toyota
2 VW
3 GM
Nope http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/03/us-toyota-sales-idUSKCN0Q805F20150803

fiddy
09-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Volkswagen is not just a brand, its a corporation that manufactures audi, skoda, bentley, porsche, lambos, seat, etc.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/content/en/brands_and_products.html

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:08 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/28/volkswagen-surpasses-toyota-worlds-largest-automaker-first-half-2015/30772509/
OK, that's newer info.

Also if you're looking at corporate scandals, the Petrobas scandal (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/business/international/effects-of-petrobras-scandal-leave-brazilians-lamenting-a-lost-dream.html) in Brazil is a mess.
Alberto Youssef, a convicted money launderer and former bon vivant, sat in a Brazilian jail cell in March of last year, getting ready to tell his lawyers a story. It was about an elaborate bribery scheme involving Petrobras, the government-controlled oil giant. He opened with a dire prediction.

“Guys,” Mr. Youssef said, “if I speak, the republic is going to fall.”

Ex-treasurer of ruling party gets lengthy jail term in Petrobras corruption scandal

Jim Cramer called it the biggest problem in the world right today. Because Brazil is the 8th largest economy in the world and the oil company is half owned by the government and the company with the most debt in the world. He compared it to the Russian crisis of 1998 and how that took Wall Street by surprise.

NumberSix
09-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Ok, they cheated on emissions test....... Explain to me why I should give a shit about that?

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 05:18 PM
They didn't just cheat an emission test. They installed defeat devices in their cars that would lower emission levels during an emission test.

Gr
09-22-2015, 05:19 PM
GM contributed to killing over 100 people once but Volkswagen is going to have to pay 20 times that amount for something not as serious? You bet your ass they aren't the only ones to do it either. Let's wait and see.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Gr

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Ok, they cheated on emissions test....... Explain to me why I should give a shit about that?
They perpetrated a fraud upon their customers and broke the laws of possibly several countries.

To make their cars street legal in the US, they will need to modify them and the modification will mean the car doesn't perform as well as it did.

So let's say you just dropped $25,000 on your new car. It now may not be worth as much.

Gr
09-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Volkswagen giving a middle finger to anti co2 hysterics. :applause:

Find a real problem to be worried about.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 05:29 PM
They perpetrated a fraud upon their customers and broke the laws of possibly several countries.

To make their cars street legal in the US, they will need to modify them and the modification will mean the car doesn't perform as well as it did.

So let's say you just dropped $25,000 on your new car. It now may not be worth as much.
I am not sure if what they did was explicitly forbidden by the laws. Like how much value? The cars are still fuel efficient, comfortable and good looking.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Gr

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=Gr

Nanners
09-22-2015, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=Gr

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:33 PM
I am not sure if what they did was explicitly forbidden by the laws. Like how much value? The cars are still fuel efficient, comfortable and good looking.
What they did was absolutely against the law. They designed a system to avoid the law. This is being investigated in the UK, South Korea and possibly other countries.

could be 11 million cars and they now have a lot of cars including Certified User Cars they can't sell.

so expect lawsuits not just from customers, but from dealers too.

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:34 PM
yeah except this has nothing to do with CO2. volkswagen was masking their NOx emissions. which cause smog and contribute to asthma, etc.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Volkswagen -- which faces stiff penalties for rigging its diesel cars to pass U.S. air pollution tests -- got a more immediate smack on Monday, losing more than $17 billion, or nearly a quarter of its market value.

Pretty expensive middle finger. Given that this is going to hurt VW for a long time and may spill over to other German brands. Does this concern you?

...for the shareholders of VW AG

Gr
09-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Volkswagen -- which faces stiff penalties for rigging its diesel cars to pass U.S. air pollution tests -- got a more immediate smack on Monday, losing more than $17 billion, or nearly a quarter of its market value.

Pretty expensive middle finger. Given that this is going to hurt VW for a long time and may spill over to other German brands. Does this concern you?

No. It's going to be profitable. I'm going to buy some Volkswagen. They survived Adolf Hitler, they will survive this, easily.

9erempiree
A lot of you guys don't know shit about cars and it shows in this thread....

First of all, they defrauded their customers by offering a high performance car that was not smog legal. Wondering how they would perform once a recall is done to get it to road standards :lol

They offer great gas mileage but that comes at a cost of high Nitrogen Oxide production. Nitrogen oxide isn't the stuff that causes 'global warming' concerns. It's the stuff that causes smog in the air. They F'ed up there.:lol

Installing defeat devices that detect when a car is being tested. When it detects an emission test, it will go into what I call limp mode, and trick the test.:lol

fiddy
What they did was absolutely against the law. They designed a system to avoid the law.
...or the law failed to design a proper mechanism to test the vehicles :banana:

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Looks like most 2.0L Diesel VW's were outfitted with this device and one Audi A3 model.

UK2K
09-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I would be that other car companies do.
Sure but I mean consumers.

The general consensus is their 'reputation' will take a hit, but I doubt your average car buyer cares.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Here's from a different perspective...knowing what we know now....

:lol
https://consumeraffairs.global.ssl.fastly.net/files/cache/news/vw-tdi-banner_large.jpg
http://clients.dealeronlinemarketing.com/Client/STVA-Steve-White-Volkswagen-And-Audi/12-Landing-Pages/STVA-2284/TDI-Event-1.jpg
http://image.automotive.com/f/news/11354061%2Bpheader/epcp_0811_01_z%2B2009_vw_jetta_tdi_clean_diesel%2B front_left.jpg
http://blog.leithvwraleigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/vwtdi.png

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Sure but I mean consumers.

The general consensus is their 'reputation' will take a hit, but I doubt your average car buyer cares.
I think VW buyers will care.

What happens when the "correct" the emissions and the car is now less powerful? Will they still be as attractive to car buyers?

Also I believe as of right now VW can't sell those cars until they recall and fix them.

StephHamann
09-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Buying Volkswagen stocks seems like a good idea now. :rockon:

Godzuki
09-22-2015, 06:03 PM
VW's are crappy overated, overcomplicated cars but thats like a lot of euro cars. so many things break down on VW's too, especially those bugs bitches love. i think all of them end up with regulator window issues, if not transmissions. so many audi's have transmission problems.

they're so overrated i dont know why people keep buying them. and whats up with that stupid push stick down to get into reverse? is that shit really necessary? everything is done retarded on the car where you're going to be paying twice as much just to change light bulbs and shit. dumbass euro designers :coleman:

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Buying Volkswagen stocks seems like a good idea now. :rockon:
Except it will probably go lower in the short run.

Also other German car makers are affected

The scandal dragged down shares in other carmakers on fear the fallout could affect the wider industry.
Daimler (DDAIF), the maker of Mercedes-Benz, fell 7%, while BMW (BAMXY) lost 6%. Both companies said the issue is not affecting their cars.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
VW's are crappy overated, overcomplicated cars but thats like a lot of euro cars. so many things break down on VW's too, especially those bugs bitches love. i think all of them end up with regulator window issues, if not transmissions. so many audi's have transmission problems.

they're so overrated i dont know why people keep buying them. and whats up with that stupid push stick down to get into reverse? is that shit really necessary? everything is done retarded on the car where you're going to be paying twice as much just to change light bulbs and shit. dumbass euro designers :coleman:
Whaddya know, a needle diсk bastard with a retarded opinion.

Jailblazers7
09-22-2015, 06:11 PM

I have an '05 Jetta (plus/minus a year, not sure) and it definitely has the window issues. I keep having to fix my driver's side window. Other than that tho it has been fine. 100k miles and no real problems other than the window. I do have a 2.0L engine tho which are generally the least powerful and most reliable.

Godzuki
09-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Whaddya know, a needle diсk bastard with a retarded opinion.

not my fault u envy me and want to be me :pimp:

fiddy
09-22-2015, 06:45 PM
not my fault u envy me and want to be me :pimp:
I want to be physically underdeveloped and souless?

Andrei89
09-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Volkswagen doesnt give a faaaack.

It will all be over soon. Also a good idea to invest right now because they will be right back on top in a matter of months.

Godzuki
09-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I want to be physically underdeveloped and souless?

well you're already a broke, lonely bulgarian midget.

can't be worse than that lol :oldlol:

plowking
09-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Volkswagen doesnt give a faaaack.

It will all be over soon. Also a good idea to invest right now because they will be right back on top in a matter of months.

I'd lean towards this happening too.

Their cars are great anyway. They're constantly leading the way with smaller engines that have as much, if not more power than the previous model.

blablabla
09-22-2015, 09:16 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-22/putting-a-price-on-volkswagen-s-diesel-emission-fraud-liability
Interesting article that puts some perspective on the charges VW will have to deal with. Also good that they brought up the BP oil spill, which is very comparable to the VW issue in terms of size of the scandal and the size of the company responsible for it. Now their U.S sales might take a huge hit even in the long run but its a market they have historically struggled in and it has been getting worse over recent years. It'll be interesting though to see how this will effect the sales of Audi in the U.S

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:21 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-22/putting-a-price-on-volkswagen-s-diesel-emission-fraud-liability
Interesting article that puts some perspective on the charges VW will have to deal with. Also good that they brought up the BP oil spill, which is very comparable to the VW issue in terms of size of the scandal and the size of the company responsible for it. Now their U.S sales might take a huge hit even in the long run but its a market they have historically struggled in and it has been getting worse over recent years. It'll be interesting though to see how this will effect the sales of Audi in the U.S
is this real world, somebody wake me the fuсk up :roll: :roll: :roll:

well you're already a broke, lonely bulgarian midget.

can't be worse than that lol :oldlol:

quiet asian lesbo bitch, you can probably blow me standing up

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 09:23 PM
My first thought about VW's reputation was it would be thought of as dishonest.

But, it's reputation for quality is going to suffer too. They were thought of as a car for the future offering both performance and great mileage. Now that's shown to be a fraud, the are not the technological cutting edge.

blablabla
09-22-2015, 09:24 PM
is this real world, somebody wake me the fuсk up :roll: :roll: :roll:

You don't think the total amount paid will be in a somewhat close range ?

Godzuki
09-22-2015, 09:25 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volkswagen.htm

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:26 PM
My first thought about VW's reputation was it would be thought of as dishonest.

But, it's reputation for quality is going to suffer too. They were thought of as a car for the future offering both performance and great mileage. Now that's shown to be a fraud, the are not the technological cutting edge.
Perfect example of damaging effect of american media on selected targets because of an overblown issue.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 09:26 PM
As a bmw guy, I am happy this is happening.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:28 PM
You don't think the total amount paid will be in a somewhat close range ?
In terms of adverse effects on humans/environment it is not even remotely close, i expect the amount of monetary penalty to differ significantly from the BP one.

plowking
09-22-2015, 09:29 PM
As a bmw guy, I am happy this is happening.

I thought you couldn't get any dumber.

Here you are, proving everyone wrong.

You da real MVP.

KevinNYC
09-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Perfect example of damaging effect of american media on selected targets because of an overblown issue.
Um, perfect example of the damage caused by VW's own executives.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Um, perfect example of the damage caused by VW's own executives.
U.S. authorities' fault for being incompetent in testing vehicles :confusedshrug:

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 09:35 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4YBnC10d--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18dtudm96q7ucjpg.jpg

:oldlol:

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:36 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4YBnC10d--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18dtudm96q7ucjpg.jpg

Audi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BMW

Audi been the king of cars since 2012 :pimp:

blablabla
09-22-2015, 09:38 PM
In terms of adverse effects on humans/environment it is not even remotely close, i expect the amount of monetary penalty to differ significantly from the BP one.
obviously no need to point that out/doubt it

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 09:40 PM
If you think about it, it is really funny that VW made you guys think their cars were high performance and gas saving. :lol

I got a bridge to sell you.

fiddy
09-22-2015, 09:41 PM
If you think about it, it is really funny that VW made you guys think their cars were high performance and gas saving. :lol

I got a bridge to sell you.
Pls shut your ignorant mouth

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 09:42 PM
The Audi A3 was outfitted with this 'performance' software. :oldlol:

Holy shit are these guys idiots.

9erempiree
09-22-2015, 09:46 PM
I can't wait.:banana:

R.I.P.

Volkswagen is in serious trouble. The automaker has admitted to using a device to cheat its way around the EPA testing that turned on during testing and off during normal driving. The four-cylinder TDI diesel engines sold in cars between 2009 and 2015 are affected, and this could mean that nearly 500,000 cars will be subject to recall here in the United States. Worldwide, 11 million vehicles are affected. It's been such a serious blow to the automaker that its stock has fallen massively.

Now the EPA is going to take a closer look at the automaker's 3.0-liter V-6 diesel, which is an engine found in plenty of Audi offerings and some Porsches as well.

The 3.0-liter engine has already been certified by the EPA for the 2016 model year. That certification, however, came before the agency knew what they do about the 2.0-liter. This means there will be a much closer look of the 3.0-liter being undertaken. It's an incredibly important engine to Audi, as it is currently offered in the Q5, A6, A7 and the A8. Additionally, Porsche offers a TDI variant of the Cayenne with this engine here in the U.S., and the Panamera also offers it overseas.

We don't know yet if the 3.0-liter utilized the same software as the 2.0-liter. That engine is currently not being certified for the 2016 model year until Volkswagen can demonstrate that it properly meets U.S. emissions standards.

As it stands now, more countries are opening investigations into the TDI practices of Volkswagen. Criminal investigations are beginning as well. This is a massive problem for Volkswagen, a huge blow to all diesel sales in this country, and a potential problem for Porsche and Audi should those 3.0-liters come back screwy as well.

blablabla
09-22-2015, 09:48 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volkswagen.htm
I find it a bit strange that the cars have the opposite reputation here in Europe, are they really cost cutting that much ?
Anyway VW for me are not really known to be technologically advanced, while they did seem to have the best Diesel engines(which has now been proven to be a fraud) their commitment to them is ridiculous, while actually progressive car companies have been selling electric and hybrid vehicles in mass quantities for years now, VW are still favoring their models which are running on a fuel that will be obsolete in the near future.

NumberSix
09-22-2015, 10:19 PM
I find it a bit strange that the cars have the opposite reputation here in Europe, are they really cost cutting that much ?
Anyway VW for me are not really known to be technologically advanced, while they did seem to have the best Diesel engines(which has now been proven to be a fraud) their commitment to them is ridiculous, while actually progressive car companies have been selling electric and hybrid vehicles in mass quantities for years now, VW are still favoring their models which are running on a fuel that will be obsolete in the near future.
What's the purpose? :confusedshrug:

I hate to break it to all the pretend environmentalists out there, but these "electric" cars run on coal, which is a much dirtier source of energy than gasoline is.

I'm sure you think plugging your car in to charge a battery is clean, but that energy doesn't come from thin air. In the United States, it mostly comes from coal burning.

If anyone is legitimately concerned about carbon emissions, advocate for a clean energy source like nuclear. Until then, a gasoline engine is a cleaner choice than batteries charged by burning coal.

blablabla
09-22-2015, 10:46 PM
I am well aware of that and maybe i should have clarified that i was talking strictly about diesel engines. It is just far too expensive to make them run cleanly, that's why vw decided to cost cut and implement that fraud software.
With increasingly more challenging envorimental regulations it'll be more productive to sell hybrids.

DonD13
09-23-2015, 01:52 AM
****ing idiots lol

throw the management to prison

dunksby
09-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Does this mean VW's gonna be cheaper? :lol

embersyc
09-23-2015, 07:46 AM
The Gas VWs are still fine, which made up most of the US market anyways.

As far as the TDI's go, they will either set their defeat software to always be on, and lose a bit of top-end performance , or add a detergent tank.

Hopefully this should teach people to raise an eyebrow whenever somebody tries to call an obviously dirty fuel source 'clean'. I'm looking at you coal industry.

They should face punishment, and most likely will, but nobody died, it's not as bad as what other automakers have done.

fiddy
09-23-2015, 07:50 AM
The Gas VWs are still fine, which made up most of the US market anyways.

As far as the TDI's go, they will either set their defeat software to always be on, and lose a bit of top-end performance , or add a detergent tank.

Hopefully this should teach people to raise an eyebrow whenever somebody tries to call an obviously dirty fuel source 'clean'. I'm looking at you coal industry.

They should face punishment, and most likely will, but nobody died, it's not as bad as what other automakers have done.
Whats wrong with diesel?

ISHGoat
09-23-2015, 08:27 AM
How is this even a headline? Who the *** cares if diesel VW cars cheated some pointless emission test?

Did anyone die? Did anyone get injured? Has even one additional case of lung disease been attributed to this? Are VW diesels producing SO MUCH more pollution than competing diesel brands that VW deserves to be fined 18b?

18 billion? Lmao get the *** out

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 10:19 AM
How is this even a headline? Who the *** cares if diesel VW cars cheated some pointless emission test?
Are you trolling?

VW deliberately broke the law in United States and possible other countries. That's a headline

Lots of people care about this.
The EPA obviously cares very much about this as does the state of California which has stricter emissission standards since smog is such a problem in southern California.

Also looking into this are the US Department of Justice, the NY Attorney General and probably others, the UK Department of Transport, the South Korean Environmental industry.

Right now if I'm a Volkswagen dealer in the US, I just got ****ed over. I have a lot of cars sitting on my lot I cannot legally sell. VW is now paying for those cars which means if I own shares of VW, I'm pretty pissed too since the stock is down significantly and the entire slated profit for 2015 has now been set aside to pay penalties.

If I'm another German car manufacturer that doesn't cheat, I'm probably pissed because it's going to hurt diesel engines in general. And my stock is also down.

By the way, VW just introduced the 2016 Passat at a launch party in a Brooklyn Warehouse (http://jalopnik.com/inside-the-most-awkward-volkswagen-party-in-the-world-1732301353) with Lenny Kravitz. It wasn't too crowded.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--etbcYDmh--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1442266935330057646.jpg

CelticBaller
09-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Does this mean VW's gonna be cheaper? :lol
nah, the opposite actually, need to get those earnings back

Jailblazers7
09-23-2015, 10:23 AM
nah, the opposite actually, need to get those earnings back

Doubt it. They are going to have to worry about sales before they can try anything like that.

"Hey customers, we just deliberately lied to you about the performance of our vehicles and now we are going to raise our prices. Who wants to buy a car?"

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Did anyone die? Did anyone get injured? Has even one additional case of lung disease been attributed to this? Are VW diesels producing SO MUCH more pollution than competing diesel brands that VW deserves to be fined 18b?

18 billion? Lmao get the *** outThese VWs
produced as much as 40 times the allowed amount of nitrogen oxide, a pollutant that can contribute to respiratory problems including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema.It also contributes to smog. LA used to have really bad smog
http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/environment-book/Images/LA-smog-2.jpgSince they went to a stronger emissions policy, the percent of children with lung function below 80% of normal has been cut in half.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Doubt it. They are going to have to worry about sales before they can try anything like that.

"Hey customers, we just deliberately lied to you about the performance of our vehicles and now we are going to raise our prices. Who wants to buy a car?"

VW says it will have hybrid cars by the end of this decade, this means they are going to be very far behind other manufacturers when they come out with their first hybrid.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 10:35 AM
18 billion? Lmao get the *** outin 1998, the EPA won 1 billion dollars from the following truck manufacturers for the same type of cheating.
Caterpillar, Inc., Cummins Engine Company, Detroit Diesel Corporation, Mack Trucks, Inc., Navistar International Transportation Corporation, Renault Vehicules Industriels, s.a., and the Volvo Truck Corporation.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 11:26 AM
VW CEO is gone

Volkswagen AG Chief Executive Officer Martin Winterkorn, who during nearly a decade at the helm catapulted VW to the top spot in global sales, stepped down after admitting the automaker cheated on U.S. emissions tests.
“Volkswagen needs a fresh start - also in terms of personnel,” Winterkorn said in a statement Wednesday. “I am clearing the way for this fresh start with my resignation.”

Godzuki
09-23-2015, 11:34 AM
VW is fukked. y'all are only focusing on the US where they got caught. there is no way they passed it in parts of europe and places like Japan where i'm assuming their emissions standards are much higher than ours.

i mean we get so much shit for not being green enough compared to europe and other countries, so i doubt our emissions are anywhere near the strictest standards in the world.

and when u blatantly lie on such a large scale that affects so many which is unprecedented i'd think they HAVE TO receive some ridiculously over the top harsh penalty just for the sake of deterrence of it ever happening again. probably hundreds of billions in fines and forced recalls :coleman:

Sarcastic
09-23-2015, 11:42 AM
CEO is Resignedvergnugen.

dunksby
09-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I hope so, I was planning on being in the market for a Audi S5 early next year :lol
Gone buy me a GTI :rockon:

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 12:00 PM
VW is fukked. y'all are only focusing on the US where they got caught. there is no way they passed it in parts of europe and places like Japan where i'm assuming their emissions standards are much higher than ours.

i mean we get so much shit for not being green enough compared to europe and other countries, so i doubt our emissions are anywhere near the strictest standards in the world.

This is a checkable fact that you could have looked up before posting.
Our emission standards are higher than Europe's this is why Europe has many more diesel cars than we do.

California, where a lot of these VW's were sold has even stricter standards than most of the US.

Lots of new stories are saying that this software that cheated the tests might not even be on the VWs they produce for the domestic market because they would be able to pass the test without it.

fiddy
09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
These VWs It also contributes to smog. LA used to have really bad smog
http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/environment-book/Images/LA-smog-2.jpgSince they went to a stronger emissions policy, the percent of children with lung function below 80% of normal has been cut in half.
How many TDI's bought in the U.S.? Whats the concentration of TDI vehicles in a big city? Is the air pollution difference actually significant? "as much as forty times" those articles make more damage than the cars

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
How many TDI's bought in the U.S.? Whats the concentration of TDI vehicles in a big city? Is the air pollution difference actually significant? "as much as forty times" those articles make more damage than the cars
You're missing the forest for trees.

The emission standards apply to all cars. It's by setting standards across the board that has significantly solved the smog problem in LA. All manufacturers have to abide by them. VW gaming the system gives them an unfair advantage over other companies and constitutes a fraud (or whatever the specific legal term would be) against their dealers and customers.

The US Environmental Protection Agency maintains this law because there is a significant fine levied on the manufacturer for every single car they sold that violates the standards. This is how the $18 billion dollar fine was determined. It's the number of cars about 500,000 times the maximum penalty per car which is like 35 grand.

So if you knowingly violated this law, you just created a giant expensive headache for your company.

KevinNYC
09-23-2015, 02:56 PM
[I]With VW recalling almost 500,000 cars in the US alone, it has set aside €6.5bn (

Sarcastic
09-23-2015, 03:24 PM
They've admitted that 11 million cars have the defeat device software worldwide. If they face similar penalties from other countries, the penalties could be in the hundreds of billions. I don't see how the company could survive.

Sarcastic
09-23-2015, 03:31 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/22/vw-scandal-caused-nearly-1m-tonnes-of-extra-pollution-analysis-shows

[QUOTE]Volkswagen

HitandRun Reggie
09-23-2015, 06:51 PM
I can't really point a finger at VW. I deleted the diesel particulate filter and EGR on my lifted Ford 4x4. Don't follow too close behind me, I'm like a locomotive under power. :pimp:

chips93
09-23-2015, 07:11 PM

the figures ive seen say the emissions were between 10 and 40 times as high as the regulations should have allowed.

like sarcastic posted, the NOx emitted from the engines is as much as produced by the combined power, agriculture, transport and industry sectors in the UK.

it was under-reported that 30,000 people in the UK died from pollution related respiratory illness in the UK every year.

although the UK has a higher population density than america, its clear that all of the extra pollution from the engines still cost many lives in america.

KNOW1EDGE
09-23-2015, 07:11 PM
I can't really point a finger at VW. I deleted the diesel particulate filter and EGR on my lifted Ford 4x4. Don't follow too close behind me, I'm like a locomotive under power. :pimp:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your white and your favorite color is camoflouge?

HitandRun Reggie
09-23-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your white and you like the color camoflouge?

I do like camo as a tool but not as a fashion statement. You won't see that tacky sh!t anywhere on my truck, it's white with leather interior.

KNOW1EDGE
09-23-2015, 07:37 PM

I do like camo as a tool but not as a fashion statement. You won't see that tacky sh!t anywhere on my truck, it's white with leather interior.

Lol :cheers:

I live in Oregon, and I can't tell you how many lifted, 93 jeeps I see that have been spray painted camo. It's insane. And i live in the city too. Bunch of kids who want to be country so they chew dip and put deer stickers or camo on their trucks.

HitandRun Reggie
09-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Lol :cheers:

I live in Oregon, and I can't tell you how many lifted, 93 jeeps I see that have been spray painted camo. It's insane. And i live in the city too. Bunch of kids who want to be country so they chew dip and put deer stickers or camo on their trucks.

Same here in Colorado :oldlol:

KNOW1EDGE
09-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Same here in Colorado :oldlol:

Lol my grandma lives in Aurora and I've spent a lot of time there, Denver is VERY similar to Portland.

Real Men Wear Green
09-23-2015, 08:20 PM

18 billion? Lmao get the *** outVW launched a long ad campaign based on the idea that "clean diesel" cars were better for the environment. That lured a number (no one knows how many) of people that wanted to be environmentally conscious to buy the TDI instead of whatever other cars they were considering.

If you don't care about emissions standards then, whatever, but most countries, including our own, are concerned about the environment and the quality of our air.

Coach Eddie
09-24-2015, 12:21 AM
They didn't just cheat an emission test. They installed defeat devices in their cars that would lower emission levels during an emission test.

Yeah, that was deliberate as shit. Looks bad.

dunksby
09-24-2015, 05:41 AM
What year are you looking at?

I used to have a 06 mk5 gti and a 89 mk2 gti......I loved both those cars....
Actually I bought an i20 with my girl few months ago, it's a good car and doesn't carry the risk of being totaled in the hands of a woman :lol

Coach Eddie
09-24-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your white and your favorite color is camoflouge?
:lol

Coach Eddie
09-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Lol my grandma lives in Aurora and I've spent a lot of time there, Denver is VERY similar to Portland.

That is because Denver steals things from Portland. Voodoo, Kell's, etc.

dazzer87
09-24-2015, 01:52 PM
CEO resign and gets $67M Payday, Plus Company Car.............:roll: :roll: :roll:

http://consumerist.com/2015/09/24/ousted-volkswagen-ceo-might-still-get-67m-payday-plus-company-car/

Godzuki
09-24-2015, 05:17 PM
CEO resign and gets $67M Payday, Plus Company Car.............:roll: :roll: :roll:

http://consumerist.com/2015/09/24/ousted-volkswagen-ceo-might-still-get-67m-payday-plus-company-car/

they should be able to press criminal charges on him. i mean if you're the one responsible for blatantly breaking the law on such a grand scale i would hope he is charged criminally. its a premeditated criminal act so i'd think they could charge him with something, as well as sue him :coleman:

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Not just the US (http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/volkswagen-emissions-idINKCN0RP15Z20150925)

Volkswagen rigged emission tests on about 2.8 million diesel vehicles in Germany, the country's transport minister said on Friday, nearly six times as many as it has admitted to falsifying in the United States.

His comments, pointing to cheating on a bigger scale than previously thought, deepened the crisis at the world's largest automaker as its supervisory board held a crucial meeting.

The board is widely expected to name Matthias Mueller, the head of its Porsche sports-car division, as chief executive to replace Martin Winterkorn, who quit on Wednesday, and at least four senior executives are expected to be purged.

Shares in the German company, which had started to steady after sharp falls earlier this week, were down 4.5 percent at 1335 GMT after Bloomberg also reported that executives in Germany controlled aspects of the manipulated U.S. tests, citing three people familiar with the U.S. business.

Add some billions to the price tag of this.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 01:04 PM
VW's CEO was only put in recently. (http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/25/vw-faces-about-the-worst-situation-ex-gm-exec.html)
In April, former chairman Ferdinand Piech resigned after losing a leadership battle with Winterkorn.

"Ferdinand Piech ... is a very, very hard dictatorial, my-way-or-the-highway type of person who constantly [was] firing people, threatening people 'you better succeed at this or you're out the door,'" Lutz said.

"When you've got that kind of culture where everybody fears for his or her job," he warned, "frankly, people will lie and cheat to do what the boss expects. And that is the danger in that type of culture."
reminds me of the Bernie Madoff scandal when other companies couldn't figure out how he profits in up markets and down markets.

During his time at GM, Lutz said he was constantly asking his engineers how Volkswagen could make diesel engines perform so well and pass environmental tests. "They said, 'We can't answer that question.'"

He said: "Honda asked the same question. They couldn't figure it out either because with near identical engines and hardware from the same suppliers, they could not get themselves to pass."It's not going to be cheap
Lutz, also a former president at Chrysler, said it's going to be "incredibly expensive" to bring the affected cars into compliance. Since the performance and the gas mileage will likely to be compromised in the process, the embattled German automaker could face consumer lawsuits, he added."]only put in recently.

Sarcastic
09-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Wow, Winterkorn is still the CEO of Porsche and chairman of Audi. :facepalm

The company needs to be fined and sued to the furthest extent possible. Hopefully to the point of complete bankruptcy.

KevinNYC
09-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Wow, Winterkorn is still the CEO of Porsche and chairman of Audi. :facepalm

3 million more on the pile.

Volkswagen subsidiaries Audi and Skoda confirmed on Monday that more than 3 million of their automobiles were equipped with devices to cheat diesel emissions tests, German broadcaster Deutsche Welle reports. The disclosure furthers a scandal that has erupted around the German automobile manufacturer since charges of the systemic deceit surfaced earlier in September.

VW stock is at 95. It was about 170 15 days ago.

About 12 months ago VW stock went up from 164 to 255. Then from 255 to 170 before the scandal broke. Did folks know something? Did some folks start selling early?

There's something like 34 lawsuits in the US already pending.

Draz
09-29-2015, 02:16 PM
fck yall, just bought me some stocks

fiddy
09-29-2015, 02:22 PM
3 million more on the pile.

VW stock is at 95. It was about 170 15 days ago.

About 12 months ago VW stock went up from 164 to 255. Then from 255 to 170 before the scandal broke. Did folks know something? Did some folks start selling early?

There's something like 34 lawsuits in the US already pending.
no doubt

KevinNYC
09-29-2015, 02:58 PM
fck yall, just bought me some stocks
hasn't reached bottom yet.