PDA

View Full Version : How far was peak Amare from peak Duncan offensively?

Rocketswin2013
09-23-2015, 11:24 PM
How much better or worse?

TripleA
09-23-2015, 11:31 PM
At his peak he was unstoppable.

Lebronxrings
09-23-2015, 11:38 PM
i would take peak amare over peak duncan. Duncan is more role playerish with amazing longevity.

SouBeachTalents
09-23-2015, 11:38 PM
i would take peak amare over peak duncan. Duncan is more role playerish with amazing longevity.

Bosh > both of them

sd3035
09-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Peak Bosh was a monster before Lebald ruined his career

Dbrog
09-24-2015, 01:26 AM
These replies though...

:facepalm

BlakFrankWhite
09-24-2015, 01:27 AM
I wonder what numbers Duncan would put if he had prime Nash.

TheBigVeto
09-24-2015, 01:29 AM
Very far.
Duncan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amare

Amare - Nash = Trash

Sarcastic
09-24-2015, 01:53 AM
I wonder what numbers Duncan would put if he had prime Nash.

Amar'e put up great numbers without Nash, and Duncan's teammates and coaches >>> anything Amar'e ever had.

Popovich, Manu, Parker, and D Rob compared to Nash and D'Antoni

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/Yo-Dawg_Xzibit_meme-230_300.jpg

bizil
09-24-2015, 01:54 AM
Scoring wise, peak Amare was just as good as Timmy. But offense ALSO includes passing. When u factor that in, Timmy was CLEARLY better than Amare. As a TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYER, only guys like Barkley, Mailman, and KG are on Timmy's level at the PF.

artificial
09-24-2015, 03:27 AM
In terms of scoring, peak Amare was ridiculous. He had a more than decent mid range game, no need to discuss his athleticism, and had very respectable moves on the post.

I remember a playoff game where he went something like 10 of 11 from the floor or something that crazy, and he certainly looked quite unstoppable on the court (not only shooting open shots). In terms of pure scoring, I believe peak Amare wasn't that far from Timmy D, and that's just a way of saying that peak Amare could score with the best of them.

However, as the prior poster said, if you factor in overall offense including passing, offensive awareness, plays in the clutch and other factors Timmy is far superior. No offense on Amare, but Duncan is just too great.

Fire Colangelo
09-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Amare put up great offensive numbers without Nash.

Amare is someone that can put up 30, 35, 40 on you while Duncan is more complete on offense with his passing.

HoopologyPhD
09-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Not that far, especially in fast break situations where Amare's athleticism was much better.

In the half court and ISO situations, Duncan was much better because of his post moves and shooting touch.

FKAri
09-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Are people forgetting how poor Amare was in isolation situations?

He was an amazing pick and roll/pop player who showed even more versatility early in his Knick career but he was never a 'dump the ball to' player.

feyki
09-24-2015, 05:21 PM
So far. Million light years awaayyy fromm youu . Lol what the :D ? Amare more superstarish player with amazing tiny longevity.

Rab
09-24-2015, 05:34 PM
You're talking two very different styles of offense. Duncan is a master of position and footwork, and is a good passer. He never was a volume scorer, but the attention he commanded from defenses played a huge role in his teams success.

Amar'e was a freak of nature. Insane athletic ability, but never a great post player in terms of post moves. He was always best when he faced up his opponent, and played the pick and roll. He developed and excellent 15-18 ft jumper over his career and was always one of the most efficient scorers for years in terms of how many shots he got to how many points he scored. Amar'e tended to struggle with turnovers more than Timmy, and he wasn't a doubled a lot due to the Suns outside shooting.

Timmy is ahead for sure, but prime Amar'e got somewhat close for a few years there.

SCdac
09-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Scoring wise, peak Amare was just as good as Timmy. But offense ALSO includes passing. When u factor that in, Timmy was CLEARLY better than Amare. As a TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYER, only guys like Barkley, Mailman, and KG are on Timmy's level at the PF.

This guy gets it.

Amare was lethal offensively for a minute but he was like a black hole/finisher and not a playmaker at all.. just like Dwight Howard

Give me the guy who anchored Spurs offenses and could have championship teams built around his offense. Duncan had huge scoring games against the Suns too.

Offense is more than just scoring.. it's decision making, play making, taking on double and triple teams, and more.

Some scoring is qualitatively better than others imo. Let's remember that Suns played at a much higher pace, much different style. Duncan had elite scoring for a slow, half-court team.

NewYorkNoPicks
09-24-2015, 06:53 PM
To those who actually watch the games rather than going by box scores....

Amare was more DOMINANT but Duncan was by far the more talented scorer.

Amare's dominance was completely due to physical attributes rather than actual basketball skills. He was so much stronger, quicker, and could leap higher than anyone at his position that he physically imposed himself on the opposition to score.

Amare actually didnt become a real basketball player until his tenure with the Knicks where after realizing his body was deteriorating rapidly he worked extensively with Hakeem Olajuwon to develop a post game and learn more of the games fundamentals. I think I remember him once saying D'Antoni never even taught him how to box out properly, he just showed him how to be useful in the Seven Seconds Or Less offense D'Antoni was famous for.

Coach Eddie
09-24-2015, 06:59 PM

:biggums:

I'd take Duncan. Amar'e facing up is dangerous in 1 on 1, but it is not as conducive to team ball. Duncan could actually do a back to the basket game which allows him a greater view of his teammates. This is why he was the master of the hockey assist.

Smoke117
09-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Tim Duncan is by far the most overrated scorer as far as big men go.

SCdac
09-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Oh please. Duncan went toe-to-toe offensively with prime Shaq, KG, and Dirk, and beat them! ... that title you're talking about probably goes to players like Dwight Howard, Jermaine O'neal, Zach Randolph, or a slew of other bigs who's scoring wasn't really all it's cracked up to be. Hell Amare's scoring is more overrated.

Gus Fring
09-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Duncan wasn't just a scorer, he was an anchor to your entire offense. Amare was just a great scorer who became an elite scorer when one of the goat passers was on his team. He couldn't anchor a championship offense though, especially not by himself like Duncan did in 03. That's a different level of game.

Tking714
09-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Severely underrated in this thread. Being the roll man is an offensive skill itself. It wasnt his primary means of scoring though, it was what popped up in the highlights. Majority of his buckets were the J from the High post or face up one/two dribbles into the paint for a finish. Everything was opened up with his jumper. Duncan has him beat on back to the basket. Amare wasn't force fed he's just an all time top tier high-post player.

T_L_P
09-24-2015, 11:10 PM

Yo, still waiting on that list of 30 players who peaked higher than Duncan.

Any plans on posting that, bud? :oldlol:

T_L_P
09-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Amar'e put up great numbers without Nash, and Duncan's teammates and coaches >>> anything Amar'e ever had.

Popovich, Manu, Parker, and D Rob compared to Nash and D'Antoni

Lest we forget that Amare was on a team that won 54 games and made the WCF without him.

Amare was the help in his prime.

HighFlyer23
09-24-2015, 11:23 PM
He was better than Duncan

bobopenguin
09-25-2015, 12:50 AM
if amare is a Serbian Tiger, then Duncan is Godzilla.

Tking714
09-25-2015, 01:02 AM
Lest we forget that Amare was on a team that won 54 games and made the WCF without him.

Amare was the help in his prime.

? they played the Lakers and the Clippers without him. Even without Nash, they were better than those teams. The west was overrated that year.

dhsilv
09-25-2015, 01:03 AM
The spurs would let amre go for 35-40 points while guarding him one on one. I don't recall any team in the playoffs trying to guard Duncan one on one. Need I say more?

KNOW1EDGE
09-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all time.

Amare isn't in the top 20.

And the only advantage peak STAT would have over peak Duncan would be athleticism.

Duncan is better at literally every other aspect of the game

bizil
09-26-2015, 04:43 AM
The thing with Duncan was the FACT that he brought a dominant center's skillset to the the PF spot. BUT he had many of the new age PF REQUIREMENTS to dominate the PF as well. When u look at Timmy, KG, Sheed, Dirk, Gasol, J O Neal, etc., they were ALL 6'11 and up. The PF spot was getting taller. Guys were just as tall as the centers. But the PF's were leaner and more versatile. But Timmy WAS THE ONE who could anchor both offensively and on defense in the paint like the great centers.

So whatever scoring capabilities Amare brought to the table, it SIMPLY couldn't compete with Duncan's offensive skillset. ONCE AGAIN, offense is scoring, passing, and the ability to dictate the flow of your team offensively. If we are are talking just straight up scoring, Amare is a top 10 PF peak wise of all time in that sense.

Clifton
09-26-2015, 10:23 AM
You're talking two very different styles of offense. Duncan is a master of position and footwork, and is a good passer. He never was a volume scorer, but the attention he commanded from defenses played a huge role in his teams success.

Amar'e was a freak of nature. Insane athletic ability, but never a great post player in terms of post moves. He was always best when he faced up his opponent, and played the pick and roll. He developed and excellent 15-18 ft jumper over his career and was always one of the most efficient scorers for years in terms of how many shots he got to how many points he scored. Amar'e tended to struggle with turnovers more than Timmy, and he wasn't a doubled a lot due to the Suns outside shooting.

Timmy is ahead for sure, but prime Amar'e got somewhat close for a few years there.
Pretty much sums it up. No more to add, other than that they had two totally different styles of offense and that Duncan's style was more dangerous and more important overall.

lefthook00
09-26-2015, 11:50 AM
I forget what year it was but I think I remember a very young Amare sh*tting on Duncan badly in the playoffs, Suns may have still lost the series, I'll look it up.

magnax1
09-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Offensively he mightve been better, or aa good. Overall he was way behind duncan, but with nash feeding him he was quite a lot better scorer than Duncan ever was.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Amare was better offensively. He always lit Duncan up in the playoffs since Timmy was a poor pickandroll defender. Amare averaged like 37/10 on 55% shooting on him one series:lol :lol :lol

catch24
09-26-2015, 01:04 PM

*golf clap*

Good post - and agreed on all counts.