PDA

View Full Version : Frank Vogel/Larry Bird: Paul George projected to start at power forward

Legends66NBA7
09-24-2015, 03:44 PM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/09/24/pacers-coach-frank-vogel-paul-george-projected-start-power-forward/72627034/

[QUOTE]After months of dropping hints, on Thursday morning Indiana Pacers head coach Frank Vogel revealed a projected starting lineup that features Paul George at the power forward position for the upcoming 2015-16 season.

Vogel has a thought of how his new starting five will look, which should help the Pacers achieve their goals of becoming a high-volume offensive team.

outbreak
09-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Isnt cj miles like 6"4?

Dr. Ice
09-24-2015, 04:03 PM
This is going to take about 2-3 years off of paul george's career, i feel bad for the dude especially when he doesn't even want to play the 4.

Moving hibbert and now this. Why are the pacers valuing offense so much over defense when it was defense that had made them a threat?

Akrazotile
09-24-2015, 04:09 PM
This is going to take about 2-3 years off of paul george's career, i feel bad for the dude especially when he doesn't even want to play the 4.

Moving hibbert and now this. Why are the pacers valuing offense so much over defense when it was defense that had made them a threat?

Im thinking they must be doin this as a way to boost attendance via offensive output. They cant honestly think this is a good idea for basketball reasons.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Their previous incarnation was a treadmill team that had a good defense but crap offense. They already peaked as that type of team. Look at the Bulls theyve been the same type of team for years and not gettin anywhere. This is a good idea to start fresh. With how much small balls been played now Hibbert is absolutely useless and i wont be surprised to see him out of the league in a few seasons. Myles Turner will be far better. Its a fresh look is what Indy needs and weve been seeing more smaller players playing out of position recently. Honestly outside of a few tough matchups George should be fine at PF. Their offense is gon be far better for it and teams and bigs will struggle defending him too

IGOTGAME
09-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Their previous incarnation was a treadmill team that had a good defense but crap offense. They already peaked as that type of team. Look at the Bulls theyve been the same type of team for years and not gettin anywhere. This is a good idea to start fresh. With how much small balls been played now Hibbert is absolutely useless and i wont be surprised to see him out of the league in a few seasons. Myles Turner will be far better. Its a fresh look is what Indy needs and weve been seeing more smaller players playing out of position recently. Honestly outside of a few tough matchups George should be fine at PF. Their offense is gon be far better for it and teams and bigs will struggle defending him too

Only a few match ups matter tho and they happen to be in the playoffs

warriorfan
09-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Bird is smart. What he said is true that the advantage it gives them offensively outweighs the disadvantages defensively.

Crown&Coke
09-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Isnt cj miles like 6"4?

6'7"

feyki
09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Run n gun baby. George will be next Bird . Bird is genius man , same as Auerbach .

3ball
09-24-2015, 05:56 PM
is this a joke?

doesn't paul george weigh like 200?

that's how weak the spacing has made today's league - players are so far spread out, that you can use lightweights as PF's, because they don't have to come in contact or bump and grind amongst congestion like before.

instead, the spacing makes the court look like neat corn rows or a marching band - it's free-flowing and everyone has freedom of movement, so a twig like George will do at PF... amazing.

DavisIsMyUniBro
09-24-2015, 06:18 PM
They should try to get a someone who can play the 3 and the 4 and switch him and George on offense and defense

Dbrog
09-24-2015, 10:33 PM
PG at the 4?! :oldlol:

inbeforeOutfortheSeason

Smoke117
09-24-2015, 11:12 PM
is this a joke?

that's how weak the spacing has made today's league - players are so far spread out, that you can use lightweights as PF's, because they don't have to come in contact or bump and grind amongst congestion like before.

instead, the spacing makes the court look like neat corn rows or a marching band - it's free-flowing and everyone has freedom of movement, so a twig like George will do at PF... amazing.

I have never heard anyone call George a twig before...have you even ever seen him play? He's a lot closer to 220 than he is to 200. Stick to Jordan.

aj1987
09-25-2015, 01:04 AM
is this a joke?

http://i.imgur.com/h7aUH4m.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F6sSWu8.jpg

Fudge
09-25-2015, 01:34 AM
Dude is 6'10", 220 lbs

He'll be fine, idiots.

CarlosBoozer
09-25-2015, 03:03 AM
Dude is 6'10", 220 lbs

He'll be fine, idiots.
I'll fight you

Heavincent
09-25-2015, 03:07 AM
is this a joke?

Yeah, **** free flowing offense that creates better shots.

dhsilv
09-25-2015, 03:11 AM
Eventually teams are going to go big and punish teams who keep going smaller and smaller, that's how sports work. Should be interesting to see.

ralph_i_el
09-25-2015, 03:12 AM
He probably will just play the 4 against stretch 4's who won't be able to post him up. Plenty of tweeners and softies at the 4 this year.

ralph_i_el
09-25-2015, 03:14 AM
is this a joke?

You can still play a grind it out 4....but you're going to lose to a team that plays their most talented players instead. I for one enjoy basketball with less grinders and more skilled players.

Akrazotile
09-25-2015, 03:28 AM
A lot of you may not realize this, but the word for "bird" in German....... Is literally Vogel.

These two guys have the exact same last name, but in different languages.

Illuminati...........

Prime_Shaq
09-25-2015, 05:17 AM
A lot of you may not realize this, but the word for "bird" in German....... Is literally Vogel.

Illuminati...........
That's pretty tight

ralph_i_el
09-25-2015, 08:34 AM
That's pretty tight

https://media.giphy.com/media/5aLrlDiJPMPFS/giphy.gif

90sgoat
09-25-2015, 09:17 AM

I don't think they peaked. They only needed an upgrade at point guard, since they really lacked a proper ball handler against Miami, and some bench players. Rondo would have been perfect.

Losing David West was the real clincher though. He was the heart and soul of that team and set the tone as a tough, gritty defensive team. Without him, their low post, high post game won't work.

I don't necessarily see a problem with George at 4, they're going small ball, Kerr showed everyone how to play Lebron and they're going to play Cavs this season. I just don't think that team is good enough to do any damage, unless Mahimni has been getting a lot better. He was a low tier bench center last time. CJ Miles at the 3 doesn't seem great either.

I also thought that the Pacers drafted some awkard lanky dude? They could end up doing a twin tower setup if he does well and move George to the 3 or mix it up.

In Larry we trust. Pacer fans are blessed to have such a capacity running the team.

PP34Deuce
09-25-2015, 11:44 AM
if anything, You put Paul george at the 2...not the 4.

He's not Lebron at 6'8 250-260 solid muscle
He's not Carmelo 6'8 240-245 solid.

If his post game improved, he could abuse 2's all game long.

Not a smart idea for his future.

Legends66NBA7
09-25-2015, 12:01 PM
if anything, You put Paul george at the 2...not the 4.

He's not Lebron at 6'8 250-260 solid muscle
He's not Carmelo 6'8 240-245 solid.

If his post game improved, he could abuse 2's all game long.

Not a smart idea for his future.

Well, he did come into the league as a 2. He can still play the 2 if the Pacers want to go big, but they probably will just rotate him on all 3 positions.

ralph_i_el
09-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Well, he did come into the league as a 2. He can still play the 2 if the Pacers want to go big, but they probably will just rotate him on all 3 positions.

^This

but seriously, think about George playing the nominal 4. He's quicker than almost anyone he'd be matched up on, plus he's a really good shooter from 3, so teams will have to guard him at the line. Could put up a monster scoring season. His handle wasn't good for a wing, but against bigs he should be able to get in the paint with ease. This has the added advantage of meaning that only 1 other big is available to rotate to contest him. Playing against 3's and swingmen on D meant that he wasn't going to able to drive as easily, and he was more likely to meet a big at the rim.

swagga
09-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Illuminati...........

After what happened to that team it should be Frank Vogeln.

Fudge
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I'll fight you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftmoHKEGUs

Crown&Coke
09-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I want to bash this idea. But not many teams have legit 4's who are power players. With the amount of pick and roll teams are playing, there will have to be some switching going on. And someone small is going to end up on someone big if you are playing a big and 4 perimeter players.

I want to see if there will be rebounding issues first. But that's my second concern. My first concern is going to be PG's legs later in the year. It's tough work banging on the interior trying to box out bigs for an entire season.

Levity
09-25-2015, 02:47 PM
I feel im reiterating what's already been said in this thread (or should have been said). Offense wont be the issue with this sort of line up. Hell, you could throw 5 guards out there and be able to constantly put up numbers. It's the other side of the floor that causes issues.

Granted, theres not many brute strength 4s in the east (let alone the league), but any coach with half a brain will know to keep giving the ball down low and having their 4 bang against george. Do that for 82 games a season, and his body is going to be tired and possibly injury prone.

but hey, Indiana will be putting up numbers.

a back court of Hill, Ellis, and George will be able to score. A stretch 4 helps open the lane for Ellis and Hill, but asking george to play that spot isnt a must. I dont know who their starting 4 is at this point, if its not george. but i have always thought boozer could be a nice, cheap bench piece for them, that can score and rebound (but nothing beyond that)

and where is blatche playing next season? if not already with BKN or MIA, bird should be calling his agent and figuring out a deal