PDA

View Full Version : John Boehner to resign as speaker, leave House

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 10:22 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/john-boehner-to-resign-as-speaker-leave-house-129845772731.html

[QUOTE]Republican House Speaker John Boehner will step down from his post as the country

Patrick Chewing
09-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Good riddance you RINO.

rufuspaul
09-25-2015, 10:26 AM
:eek:

KyrieTheFuture
09-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Bitchh move

DeuceWallaces
09-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Seems like waiting until after the election would have been better for the party, but ultimately you gotta do what's best for you. Although it makes his emotions yesterday more understandable.

longhornfan1234
09-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Boehner is a fvcking joke. Bye Felicia.

UK2K
09-25-2015, 10:47 AM

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Seems like waiting until after the election would have been better for the party, but ultimately you gotta do what's best for you. Although it makes his emotions yesterday more understandable.
I think he doesn't want to go through another government shutdown fight.

There have been rumors in the past few weeks about various coup attempts.

One of the guys who others said they would support came out and said he wouldn't take the job that way.

I wonder how much this decision was is.

GimmeThat
09-25-2015, 10:56 AM
I think he just doesn't want to be there when the white house gets blown up.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Bye Felicia.???

longhornfan1234
09-25-2015, 11:00 AM
???

You have never seen Friday?:biggums:

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
You have never seen Friday?:biggums:
Nope.

Just saw that clip though.

You ever see Sweet Smell of Success?

DeuceWallaces
09-25-2015, 11:04 AM
You ever seen The Secret of my Success?

longhornfan1234
09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Nope.

Just saw that clip though.

You ever see Sweet Smell of Success?

I don't watch 1950s movies.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Well we're even.

TheMan
09-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Boehner leaving a sinking ship.

Can't blame him, I wouuld too.

Enjoy your party's demise, GOPers!

:cheers:

SpecialQue
09-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Which is hilarious since your politics fit right in with that decade.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 12:14 PM
GOP Civil War continues........nymag on the dynamics that pushed him out[QUOTE]It was not enough. Three quarters of Republicans believe, incredibly, that their party leadership has not done enough to oppose Obama. Three fifths feel

sammichoffate
09-25-2015, 12:21 PM
If only the government gridlock would resign with him so this country's Congress could finally get shit done.

senelcoolidge
09-25-2015, 12:26 PM
The guilt finally got to him. He sold out. He's an alcoholic for a reason. He's one of those guys that sold the country down the river. Now someone else has to step in and fix things.

stalkerforlife
09-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha

Obama got him SHOOK.

Derka
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
The guilt finally got to him. He sold out. He's an alcoholic for a reason. He's one of those guys that sold the country down the river. Now someone else has to step in and fix things.
Truth is that as long as the people with all the money have access to the people in Washington...nothing is going to change for us. We'll sit here and yell at each other about abortions and racism and religion and email servers and all the other mindless shit they use to keep us distracted while they make trips to the bank. No president or Congress is going to change that...they're all bought and paid for.

KingBeasley08
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Obama and Pelosi have been shitting on him and McConnell these past few years so I'm not surprised. Wonder if another Establishment Republican takes over or a Tea Party candidate makes a play for the seat

DonDadda59
09-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Obama and Pelosi have been shitting on him and McConnell these past few years so I'm not surprised. Wonder if another Establishment Republican takes over or a Tea Party candidate makes a play for the seat

Let's all pray with the Pope that this doesn't happen. More gridlock, more government shutdowns, triple the crazy.

TheMan
09-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Let's all pray with the Pope that this doesn't happen. More gridlock, more government shutdowns, triple the crazy.
If the Republicans are stupid enough to go that route, they'll finally put the last nail to their own coffin. Polls keep showing the GOP has all time low approval ratings because of their circus tactics.

I wouldn't be surprised though.

UK2K
09-25-2015, 01:58 PM
If the Republicans are stupid enough to go that route, they'll finally put the last nail to their own coffin. Polls keep showing the GOP has all time low approval ratings because of their circus tactics.

I wouldn't be surprised though.

When Dems controlled Congress, it was Republicans who caused a shut down.

Now that Republicans control the Congress, it's Republicans who are causing the shut down.

The media will spin it in the left's favor, every time.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 02:03 PM
When Dems controlled Congress, it was Republicans who caused a shut down.

Now that Republicans control the Congress, it's Republicans who are causing the shut down.

The media will spin it in the left's favor, every time.

How is that second scenario not true?

UK2K
09-25-2015, 02:09 PM
How is that second scenario not true?

Was it true the last time around, when Democrats were in control?

If its true now, it was reported inaccurately by the media last time, but I bet nobody will go back and correct their headlines, huh.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Was it true the last time around, when Democrats were in control?

If its true now, it was reported inaccurately by the media last time, but I bet nobody will go back and correct their headlines, huh.

That's not true. You've set up a false binary. It's the same forces that wanted a shutdown then, want a shutdown now.

Also the Republicans were in charge of the house in 2013. You act like there are two forces going here Democrats and Republicans and that's not so, because the Republicans are split on the idea of shutting the government down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_2013

DeuceWallaces
09-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Sad that 15% of the nut-jobs in the GOP are sabotaging their party and the budget. Boehner seemed like a decent enough guy who just wanted to legislate and get shit done.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/647470005940940800

Boehner exits singing. Seriously. He seems pretty happy.

KevinNYC
09-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Someone just pointed out that Boehner has the job for a while and can work to avoid a government shutdown without having to care that the shutdown crew will revolt.

KingBeasley08
09-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Sad that 15% of the nut-jobs in the GOP are sabotaging their party and the budget. Boehner seemed like a decent enough guy who just wanted to legislate and get shit done.
He's def better than a lot of the wingnuts in his Party who don't wanna do their job but the dude was still a major corporate whore. And unlike Pelosi who was also a corporate whore, the guy sucked at whipping his party to do anything. I'm not surprised he's gone. The Boehner House has to be one of the least effective in recent memory

UK2K
09-25-2015, 03:15 PM
That's not true. You've set up a false binary. It's the same forces that wanted a shutdown then, want a shutdown now.

Also the Republicans were in charge of the house in 2013. You act like there are two forces going here Democrats and Republicans and that's not so, because the Republicans are split on the idea of shutting the government down.

And Democrats were in charge of the senate, and the presidency, so are they 2/3 at fault?

To be honest, its both sides that cause it. The idea is to compromise on some middle ground, but both sides have become so desperate to 'win' that neither will help the other.

The Democrats have almost every media outlet on their side, so they can afford to let the government do nothing and just let the media keep blaming Republicans over and over until people believe it. But then the government had to make a point by making everyone's life as inconvenient as possible (shutting down parks, museums, tours) because nobody really gave a shit the government was in shutdown and hardly anyone noticed. Somehow though, an immigration rally sill happened. Ironic isn't it? Veterans couldn't get to a monument because of the 'shutdown', but thousands of pro immigration supporters came right on in.

So who's fault will it be now? Like I said, back then it was (the media reported it as) the Republicans fault. It was, in a way, but then again neither side was willing to make a deal. Now, that Republicans are in charge, are Democrats being the annoying little shit that Republicans were reported as last time? You can't be the 'right' side both times.

So if\ Republicans shut down the government last time with a minority (they did, but even then I blamed both sides), then Democrats are shutting down the government now, right? That would be logical. The media won't say it, but it's one of the other.

DeuceWallaces
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
And Democrats were in charge of the senate, and the presidency, so are they 2/3 at fault?

To be honest, its both sides that cause it. The idea is to compromise on some middle ground, but both sides have become so desperate to 'win' that neither will help the other.

The Democrats have almost every media outlet on their side, so they can afford to let the government do nothing and just let the media keep blaming Republicans over and over until people believe it. But then the government had to make a point by making everyone's life as inconvenient as possible (shutting down parks, museums, tours) because nobody really gave a shit the government was in shutdown and hardly anyone noticed. Somehow though, an immigration rally sill happened. Ironic isn't it? Veterans couldn't get to a monument because of the 'shutdown', but thousands of pro immigration supporters came right on in.

So who's fault will it be now? Like I said, back then it was (the media reported it as) the Republicans fault. It was, in a way, but then again neither side was willing to make a deal. Now, that Republicans are in charge, are Democrats being the annoying little shit that Republicans were reported as last time? You can't be the 'right' side both times.

So if\ Republicans shut down the government last time with a minority (they did, but even then I blamed both sides), then Democrats are shutting down the government now, right? That would be logical. The media won't say it, but it's one of the other.

You need to take a civics class or just shut the **** up.

KyrieTheFuture
09-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Normally I can discuss these things with you even though we disagree, but you just have a basic misunderstanding of what's going on. The bolded is just untrue.

NumberSix
09-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Bitchh move
Something that a homo rapper would do.

Dave3
09-26-2015, 12:50 AM

There's a video of Beohner on Leno admitting the shut down was the Republicans' fault in 2013 and that he was against it but they were for it so he had to stick with them.

Dave3
09-26-2015, 12:53 AM
He's def better than a lot of the wingnuts in his Party who don't wanna do their job but the dude was still a major corporate whore. And unlike Pelosi who was also a corporate whore, the guy sucked at whipping his party to do anything. I'm not surprised he's gone. The Boehner House has to be one of the least effective in recent memory
Actually, not just in recent memory, but statistically ever.

A good read on the resignation -

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/25/9397997/john-boehners-resignation-explained

BlakFrankWhite
09-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Jumping a sinking ship....eat shit gop

Won't be surpised if Dems keep the presidency for the next 50 years.

Dresta
09-26-2015, 01:33 PM
:oldlol:

I love this shit. The aptitude of government measured by its activity level. So much pointless and destructive legislation has flowed from this misconception. It just encourages power-hungry politicians to focus on things like 'legacy-building' and 'making their mark' rather than actually pursuing the general welfare (something politicians have utterly forgotten about).

I honestly don't understand the mentality that leads people to see an ineluctable drive towards centralisation and the accumulation of power, and to have no desire to arrest it, rather, to cheer it on as 'getting stuff done' - I suppose it fits with the human desire to exert power over others, to dance over your enemies and laugh at their oppression. Envy and vanity: the twin barrels of human folly.

DeuceWallaces
09-26-2015, 01:41 PM

I love this shit. The aptitude of government measured by its activity level. So much pointless and destructive legislation has flowed from this misconception. It just encourages power-hungry politicians to focus on things like 'legacy-building' and 'making their mark' rather than actually pursuing the general welfare (something politicians have utterly forgotten about).

I honestly don't understand the mentality that leads people to see an ineluctable drive towards centralisation and the accumulation of power, and to have no desire to arrest it, rather, to cheer it on as 'getting stuff done' - I suppose it fits with the human desire to exert power over others, to dance over your enemies and laugh at their oppression. Envy and vanity: the twin barrels of human folly.

They have to pass the budget dip-shit. He wants to get it done as opposed to bringing everything to gridlock because of hardliners in his party.

KyrieTheFuture
09-26-2015, 02:17 PM

I honestly appreciate what you bring to the ISH debate table, but put down the thesaurus. 99% of the people here can't understand what you write.

DeuceWallaces
09-26-2015, 02:23 PM
He never passes up an opportunity for an exercise in verbosity.

KingBeasley08
09-26-2015, 03:56 PM
They have to pass the budget dip-shit. He wants to get it done as opposed to bringing everything to gridlock because of hardliners in his party.
This. Boehner was one of the few who wanted to avoid shutting down the gov which got him hate from his party. Passing a budget is one of the few things Congress has to do and they couldn't even do that because of the wacko hardliners

On the other hand, we have guys like Ted Cruz who fought for a shutdown just so that he could raise his national profile among Conservatives :facepalm

Thank god that creepy looking motherfcker has no chance at the white house

Draz
09-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Thank god

BoutPractice
09-26-2015, 06:46 PM
An old school politician who was ultimately powerless to stop his base's increasing appetite for far right extremism.

In the 1950s the GOP was the party of Eisenhower. From Eisenhower Republicans moved on to Nixon... then Reagan... Newt Gingrich... W... the Tea Party... and now Donald Trump.

The idea of what constitutes an acceptable conservative viewpoint has shifted further and further to the fringes, to the point that even the hardline conservatives on Fox News think the party is approaching insanity. When Rick Santorum and Rick Perry become boring establishment candidates who are no longer seen as crazy enough to make headlines, you know you have a problem.

In the current environment, Reagan would probably lose a Republican primary against Benito Mussolini...

Dresta
09-26-2015, 08:14 PM
This. Boehner was one of the few who wanted to avoid shutting down the gov which got him hate from his party. Passing a budget is one of the few things Congress has to do and they couldn't even do that because of the wacko hardliners

On the other hand, we have guys like Ted Cruz who fought for a shutdown just so that he could raise his national profile among Conservatives :facepalm

Thank god that creepy looking motherfcker has no chance at the white house
If you think a shutdown is a bigger issue than having a congress packed with paid mercenaries, voting on a procession of legislation they neither know or care about, and ramming through bill after bill sponsored by special interests, then you just don't understand politics, and likely never will. A shutdown was never a real threat (nor even a problem to the vast majority of people), as well as a complete non-story, and yet it managed to terrify a bunch of people who are now so reliant on the caring hand of the omnicompetent federal super-state, that they can't imagine the world existing in its absence. People are really so timid and dependent and clueless, that they think if it weren't for the armies of legislators and bureaucrats and judges in Washington, the whole world would begin to crumble before their eyes.

Honestly, prattling on about the dangers of a shutdown, and whining about the irresponsibility of those who dared to bring about such an evil "threat," is a sure sign of baboonitis. When oh when will people learn that no government on Earth, through the whole history of man, has been fit to rule the American continent by a single complex and meticulous body of laws, applied uniformly, from the Pacific to the Atlantic. What a foolish flouting of precedent; what a remarkable ignorance of history! I guess we can thank public schooling for that.

Not to mention that there would have been no mention of any shutdown if Obama weren't spending money like Caligula. But 'dey holdin the country hostage doe' - :roll: - you really shouldn't fall for such hysterical buncombe.

And yet they failed to pass it for several years (2010, 2011, 2012), when the mightily evil Ted Cruz wasn't even in the Senate, and the Dems controlled both Houses.

But yeah, keep blaming things on 'hardliners,' despite moderate consensus-seeking types having held power for the entire past half century, and the country and economy already being an embarrassing shambles.:rolleyes:

I honestly appreciate what you bring to the ISH debate table, but put down the thesaurus. 99% of the people here can't understand what you write.
:biggums:

You what bruh? There isn't a word in that post that every 16-year old in the land shouldn't know, with the possible exception of "ineluctable" (though if i hadn't used that i would have used inexorable - which is less known? I don't know...). Methinks you underestimate your brethren of ISHs - you must think even less of them than I.

Perhaps i should start to write obtusely so that people can see the difference, because it's really quite a large one. Though perhaps my mind has been bamboozled by academia, through its having forced me to read books like Hardt & Negri's Empire. An example:

[QUOTE]The passage to Empire emerges from the twilight of modern sovereignty. In contrast to imperialism, Empire establishes no territorial center of power and does not rely on fixed boundaries or barriers. It is a decentered and deterritorializing apparatus of rule that progressively incorporates the entire global realm within its open, expanding frontiers. Empire manages hybrid identities, flexible hierarchies,and plural exchanges through modulating networks of command. The distinct national colors of the imperialist map of the
world have merged and blended in the imperial global rainbow.

The transformation of the modern imperialist geography of the globe and the realization of the world market signal a passage within the capitalist mode of production. Most significant, the spatial divisions of the three Worlds (First, Second, and Third) have been scrambled so that we continually find the First World in the Third, the Third in the First, and the Second almost nowhere at all. Capital seems to be faced with a smooth world

catch24
09-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Hillary is going to be an exceptionally magnificent 45th President of the United States of Murica!

:hammerhead:

Perhaps i should start to write obtusely so that people can see the difference, because it's really quite a large one. Though perhaps my mind has been bamboozled by academia, through its having forced me to read books like Hardt & Negri's Empire. An example:

Anybody else read this in Bane's voice?

DonDadda59
09-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Anybody else read this in Bane's voice?

Buzz Killington's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y63B-5CWRU) voice works so much better. Trust me.

Dresta
09-26-2015, 08:30 PM
An old school politician who was ultimately powerless to stop his base's increasing appetite for far right extremism.

In the 1950s the GOP was the party of Eisenhower. From Eisenhower Republicans moved on to Nixon... then Reagan... Newt Gingrich... W... the Tea Party... and now Donald Trump.

The idea of what constitutes an acceptable conservative viewpoint has shifted further and further to the fringes, to the point that even the hardline conservatives on Fox News think the party is approaching insanity. When Rick Santorum and Rick Perry become boring establishment candidates who are no longer seen as crazy enough to make headlines, you know you have a problem.

In the current environment, Reagan would probably lose a Republican primary against Benito Mussolini...
Right, so you can recognise 'an old school politician' yet you are blind to the fact that Mussolini was a left-wing figure, a revolutionary and not a conservative in any way whatsoever. You will quite often get left-wing people praising Mussolini (the old 'he had some good ideas'), because in the end, he has far more in common with them, than with a conservative.

"Richard Nixon was our last liberal president" - Noam Chomsky

Nixon, Reagan, Gingrich, George W. the Tea Party - none of these were more right wing than Eisenhower, who was pretty close to being an actual conservative, a true conservator who was averse to drastic change. If you define conservatism simply by calling things and people you don't like conservative (or "far-right" and "extremists" as you put it), without any respect for conservatism as a way of viewing the world, or understanding of the tradition that constitutes it, then of course you will view conservatism negatively, and view it as you do, constantly shifting to the right. But quite frankly, whatever definition you are using to define conservative here, isn't making any sense, like at all.

What you are actually seeing is the political fanaticism and mania of discontent and purposelessness, and it is present on both sides. The so-called left and the so-called right get nuttier and nuttier by the day, and the political consensus (the holy ground of "the middle") is actually the textbook definition of madness (repeatedly trying what has been shown again and again to be a complete failure).

RidonKs
09-26-2015, 10:02 PM
What you are actually seeing is the political fanaticism and mania of discontent and purposelessness, and it is present on both sides. The so-called left and the so-called right get nuttier and nuttier by the day, and the political consensus (the holy ground of "the middle") is actually the textbook definition of madness (repeatedly trying what has been shown again and again to be a complete failure).
:lol

DeuceWallaces
09-26-2015, 10:33 PM
And yet they failed to pass it for several years (2010, 2011, 2012), when the mightily evil Ted Cruz wasn't even in the Senate, and the Dems controlled both Houses.

But yeah, keep blaming things on 'hardliners,' despite moderate consensus-seeking types having held power for the entire past half century, and the country and economy already being an embarrassing shambles.:rolleyes:

You write like a computer randomly putting 4-5 syllable words together to make a sentence. Just a shell of a thought with no meaning or understanding of the issue.

TheMan
09-27-2015, 12:33 AM
You write like a computer randomly putting 4-5 syllable words together to make a sentence. Just a shell of a thought with no meaning or understanding of the issue.
This. All them words and he really ends up saying a whole lot of nuthing.

That dude is such a thread killer with his bullshit.

sportsfan76
09-27-2015, 01:03 AM
Not another government shutdown

Dresta
09-27-2015, 07:01 AM
blah, blah, blah - i've heard this one from you about a dozen times already, so God knows why you feel the need to so often repeat it. Perhaps it is because you know you could never meet someone like me in any debate, written or spoken, and so you run away like the coward you are to hide behind inane and nonsensical similes.

I don't need a lesson in writing from some clown who 'only reads scientific journals' and so suffers from the bitterness of a deficient imagination. My sentences are pregnant with meaning when compared with the nonsense you write on here, which helps explain why you're so incapable of responding to any of the points i make.

"OMG dey need to pass the budget, fuggin hardliners" says the mighty Doofus, completely ignoring how a Dem controlled congress failed to pass it a number of years in a row - no wonder you revert to mere calumny to cover your ignorant ass.

Nanners
09-27-2015, 12:27 PM
"OMG dey need to pass the budget, fuggin hardliners" says the mighty Doofus, completely ignoring how a Dem controlled congress failed to pass it a number of years in a row - no wonder you revert to mere calumny to cover your ignorant ass.

those years that the budget failed it was because it was blocked by teabagger republicans who were mad about obamacare

DeuceWallaces
09-27-2015, 01:38 PM
blah, blah, blah - i've heard this one from you about a dozen times already, so God knows why you feel the need to so often repeat it. Perhaps it is because you know you could never meet someone like me in any debate, written or spoken, and so you run away like the coward you are to hide behind inane and nonsensical similes.

I don't need a lesson in writing from some clown who 'only reads scientific journals' and so suffers from the bitterness of a deficient imagination. My sentences are pregnant with meaning when compared with the nonsense you write on here, which helps explain why you're so incapable of responding to any of the points i make.

Well, the least you could do before subjecting us to your ramblings is become somewhat familiar with the issue we're discussing. Your "thesis" is based on a faulty premise, because the same Tea-party d-bags who are blocking the budget now were the same ones who blocked it under the Democrat controlled legislature.

Dresta
09-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Sorry, but the 2010 budget was submitted to and not passed by the 111th Congress, where the Dems had large majorities in both houses, and yet they still missed the deadline. Stop scapegoating: the budget is always going to cause problems and be a divisive issue when the nation has such a gargantuan debt. A government shutdown is really not that big of a deal, and both parties used the whole thing as an opportunity to fear-monger and score political points.

I'm still waiting for this supposed economic recovery to kick in, and for interest rates to finally be raised, but it's not happening - thus the only sensible conclusion that can be drawn is that only a pretty god-awful recovery could result in 7 years of 0% interest rates, and that we're being consistently lied to by Obama, Yellen & co. But yeah, makes sense to ignore all these things and focus on some easy scapegoats like the Tea Party (funnily enough, this whole movement is founded on a misconception about the Boston Tea Party, which didn't really have much to do with the 3% Tea tax, but cared far more about the larger repealed duties in England, which destroyed the huge profits North American smugglers were making through the trafficking of Tea).

KevinNYC
10-02-2015, 01:33 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rachel-maddow-kevin-mccarthy-speech-english-language_560d5a35e4b0af3706dfc389

Holy Shit. Come back John Boehner, all is forgiven. New Speaker of the House. He no speak so good.

KingBeasley08
10-02-2015, 05:22 PM
So this guy has been a Congressman for just about 8 years now and made it to Whip. Then, he sees the House Majority lose his seat in a primary and takes that slot. And then the Speaker becomes unpopular and resigns so he comes Speaker of the House in just a couple years in Congress :wtf:

This is some Frank Underwood shit. If the Republicans win the White House in 2016, then the new President needs to watch out. This dude might make a play for it all :lol

KevinNYC
10-02-2015, 07:03 PM
So this guy has been a Congressman for just about 8 years now and made it to Whip. Then, he sees the House Majority lose his seat in a primary and takes that slot. And then the Speaker becomes unpopular and resigns so he comes Speaker of the House in just a couple years in Congress :wtf:

This is some Frank Underwood shit. If the Republicans win the White House in 2016, then the new President needs to watch out. This dude might make a play for it all :lol
Eric Cantor would probably have been next in line, but he got taken out in a Primary.

The Republicans in the House just keep getting pulled further and further to the right. Boehner was pretty was considered pretty solid right when he came in, now they call him a RINO.