PDA

View Full Version : Does Memphis offer Conley a MAX deal?

bdreason
09-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Does Memphis, a small market team, offer Conley a 5-year MAX deal? Does Conley stay with the Grizz if they offer him less than MAX? I'm guessing a few teams will throw a MAX offer at him this summer.

RoseCity07
09-30-2015, 04:45 AM
He's worth the max.

Fallen Angel
09-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Who knows if they want to commit to Conley and Gasol being their two best players. Hasn't gotten them that far into the postseason. They should be looking to upgrade on the perimeter.

Pushxx
09-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Who knows if they want to commit to Conley and Gasol being their two best players. Hasn't gotten them that far into the postseason. They should be looking to upgrade on the perimeter.

Conley hasn't been the problem, though. They should and will pay him the max, otherwise many other teams will.

lil jahlil
09-30-2015, 12:13 PM
He deserves near max, which means he'll probably get the max.

r15mohd
09-30-2015, 12:17 PM

they were very much in line to take out GSW this past year had it not been for the Conley and Tony Allen injuries. they will continue to do well and certainly expect more involvement from Jeff Green now that he's in full swing with the team.

Levity
09-30-2015, 12:20 PM
If they dont, there's a handful of team that should and will.

SwishSquared
09-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Even if they don't make a deep run this year, I think they bring him back at whatever necessarily cost. Z-Bo's extension is kicking in at a rate that's reasonable. It's a weak class for point guards next summer so they likely can't replace his production on the cheap and bring in difference-maker on the wing.

FreezingTsmoove
09-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Hes getting the max unless he really loves Memphis and accepts a lower offer

Someone is going to give him a Damian Lillard contract. Everything you want in a franchise PG he has

bdreason
10-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Someone is going to give him a Damian Lillard contract. Everything you want in a franchise PG he has

Lillard is one of my favorite players... but I'm taking Conley over him all day. Lillard is infinitely more popular though. It's weird how that works. It's not like Portland is some major media market.

bigt
10-02-2015, 12:46 AM
Lillard is one of my favorite players... but I'm taking Conley over him all day. Lillard is infinitely more popular though. It's weird how that works. It's not like Portland is some major media market.

Conley's game isn't all that conducive to mainstream popularity. He gets the job done but it's a workhorse style production. Lillard's a bit flashier, carries himself more outwardly, his style is more suited to a casual TV viewership than a hardcore fandom. Plus the dagger against Houston won him a lot of popularity/exposure

DoctorP
10-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Not a max player but teir before max. Pre-cap rise max, perhaps.

comerb
10-02-2015, 01:53 AM
I mean they could be shitty at their job and let him go, but that would be pretty stupid.

ralph_i_el
10-02-2015, 08:33 AM
He is worth it. And it will be a smaller max. Not like he'll get 20m a year.

Look, it wasn't even a question that Lillard was getting the max. Conley is actually a great defender as opposed to a traffic cone like Lillard. I'm not even convinced that Lillard has a higher offensive impact than Conley.

FreezingTsmoove
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Because he accepts advertisment jobs. Guys like Tim Duncan, Jeff Teague, Tony Parker etc are just lazy af when it comes to making money through ads. Not Lillards fault he wants the money

Thorpesaurous
10-02-2015, 09:54 AM
He'd be close to being worth it even in a tougher market place, but with the impending cap spike, the number of teams with room, and the derth of available PGs, this is almost a perfect market for him. A player is only worth what someone else is willing to offer him, and he'd get max offers from any number of other teams, so Memphis is going to have to give him that fifth year and max money. Probably not the mega max with the huge escalators, but the smaller max for sure.

Plus he's only 27. A five year deal takes him exactly to where you want to have him as a franchise.

HurricaneKid
10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Probably not the mega max with the huge escalators, but the smaller max for sure.

WAT? If a lower amount is not the most a player can get it is by definition NOT THE MAX. What you are likely referring to is the lower limits players can sign for off their rookie deals. Which is completely immaterial for Conley.

The 4 yr max from other teams would be:

___

114.3M/4 years

If Memphis resigns him it would be
_____

155.2M/5 years

I just want people to be prepared for Conley getting 30M+/. Because he is absolutely going to get it.

sammichoffate
10-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Went from the 4th pick in the 07 draft, to bench PG, to starting point, to borderline all-star. My favorite PG in the league, deserves the max for all the work he's done :applause:

Dr Seuss
10-02-2015, 01:20 PM
If im vlade divac, i go after him HARD this summer.

T_L_P
10-02-2015, 01:28 PM
In absolute envy of Memphis' starting PG situation. :(

brooks_thompson
10-03-2015, 07:46 AM
I'd take Conley over Chris Paul in a heartbeat. A point guard should have a steadying influence and that starts with his on-court demeanor. Paul is too emotionally volatile on the court (especially with the refs) for me to consider him a true leader. So that leaves only the 2 super-freaks (Curry/Westbrook) that I'd consider over him.

I've watched him 60-80 games a year since he was drafted and I agree with Jeff Van Gundy: I've never seen a guy improve so steadily and consistently every year he's been in the league.

He's not going anywhere, no matter the cost. Marc's re-signing was contingent upon personal assurance from Conley that he was staying in Memphis.

iznogood
10-03-2015, 07:53 AM
I'd take Conley over Chris Paul in a heartbeat. A point guard should have a steadying influence and that starts with his on-court demeanor. Paul is too emotionally volatile on the court (especially with the refs) for me to consider him a true leader. So that leaves only the 2 super-freaks (Curry/Westbrook) that I'd consider over him.

I've watched him 60-80 games a year since he was drafted and I agree with Jeff Van Gundy: I've never seen a guy improve so steadily and consistently every year he's been in the league.

He's not going anywhere, no matter the cost. Marc's re-signing was contingent upon personal assurance from Conley that he was staying in Memphis.
How is Paul too emotional, but Westbrook is not?

Fallen Angel
10-03-2015, 07:55 AM
I'd take Conley over Chris Paul in a heartbeat.

:biggums:

Fallen Angel
10-03-2015, 08:04 AM
You guys are all over the place in this thread.

Conley > Paul?

Conley's offensive impact > Lillard's offensive impact?

Fallen Angel
10-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Conley does everything well on the floor. He's not elite at anything, but isn't bad at anything either.

Here's why I question his value:

Mike Conley's Postseason Per Game Averages

Season Age MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2010-11 23 39.0 5.5 14.1 .388 0.8 2.8 .297 3.4 4.1 .830 3.8 6.4 1.1 0.2 2.3 3.0 15.2
2011-12 24 39.6 4.6 10.9 .421 1.6 3.1 .500 3.4 4.6 .750 3.3 7.1 0.9 0.0 2.3 2.7 14.1
2012-13 25 38.3 5.5 14.4 .384 1.2 4.3 .281 4.7 6.2 .763 4.7 7.1 1.7 0.3 2.3 2.3 17.0
2013-14 26 38.1 6.3 14.6 .431 0.4 3.9 .111 2.9 3.7 .769 4.6 7.9 2.0 0.1 2.1 2.0 15.9
2014-15 27 30.4 5.1 12.0 .427 1.3 4.1 .303 2.9 3.5 .821 1.1 5.0 1.4 0.0 1.5 1.3 14.4
Career 37.4 5.4 13.5 .403 1.1 3.7 .290 3.6 4.6 .784 3.7 6.7 1.4 0.2 2.1 2.3 15.5

He's a good PG, but can't be the one of your top two players if you want to win a championship. I want to see Conley in an offensive that's built to the strengths of the common PG: shooting wings, stretch big, and lob catching PnRoller. He could be hindered by the way the Grizzlies play, or this will be as far he'll get in his career. Either way, I'm not investing a max contract in Mike Conley.

iamgine
10-03-2015, 10:42 AM
At best Conley is around Chauncey Billups level isn't he? Never thought of Billups as a max type player.

imdaman99
10-03-2015, 11:17 AM
He's a good player and I'd love him on the Knicks. I would max him, especially since he's a winning player. He's a guy that won't let the other PG on the court take over the game, great defender and solid offensive player.

T_L_P
10-03-2015, 11:38 AM
At best Conley is around Chauncey Billups level isn't he? Never thought of Billups as a max type player.

Billups was a lot better than Conley.

Most underrated PG of his era. Close to being a top 10 PG of all time.

Mike Armstrong
10-03-2015, 12:12 PM
He's worth the max.
Yarp.

Fallen Angel
10-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Conley went from underrated to extremely overrated. He's not in the same breath as the routine All-Star PGs in the West.

He's good, but not elite.

brooks_thompson
10-06-2015, 04:13 AM
How is Paul too emotional, but Westbrook is not?

I almost explained that first time around cause I figured it was coming.

Westbrook channels it all onto the floor and the game. He bitches quite a bit but he's always an absolute force out there, even if it can occasionally be to the team's detriment

Paul can get heated and take himself and his team out of the game. You've got to wonder if the rest of the Clips would be as whiny and act as privileged under a Mike Conley or Steph Curry type.

Anyway, just my personal preference. Conley is a fringe all-star but he has the type of character I want in a point guard. I wouldn't trade him for Chris Paul.

All Net
10-06-2015, 04:22 AM
It's a joke if he doesn't get max based on what others are getting.

Fallen Angel
10-06-2015, 05:31 AM
I'm curious how long other people think Memphis' window is. Randolph is 34 years old, Allen is 33, and Marc Gasol is 30 and plans to play both NBA and Olympic Basketball.

Next offseason, they have to deal with extending Mike Conley and trying to find that offensive minded perimeter player that can make the job for every player extremely easier. I'm not sure if there is a player like that within Memphis' budget.

Joe Johnson could seems like their best bet if they can afford him.

These guys are getting older while the West is getting better, I think their window is closing faster than people think.

brooks_thompson
10-06-2015, 06:21 AM
I'm curious how long other people think Memphis' window is. Randolph is 34 years old, Allen is 33, and Marc Gasol is 30 and plans to play both NBA and Olympic Basketball.

Next offseason, they have to deal with extending Mike Conley and trying to find that offensive minded perimeter player that can make the job for every player extremely easier. I'm not sure if there is a player like that within Memphis' budget.

These guys are getting older while the West is getting better, I think their window is closing faster than people think.

Hurts to say, but it closed this spring. This core has had five playoff runs starting with the 8-1 upset over the Spurs in '11. They peaked last year when they blew that OT-fest series against OKC.

Last year, Zbo was nowhere near as automatic as usual around the hoop. His touch is fading. Marc Gasol showed that he has a lot of Pau in him after all by playing like an absolute wuss in the Warriors series. Conley has improved every single every year to offset Zbos decline, but this is gonna be season 9 for him.

The front office has done an admirable job of taking risks to try to swing the odds, but Jeff Green instead of Danilo Gallinari was the nail in the coffin I fear. And though it wasn't ever discussed as an option in reality, Vince Carter over Paul Pierce was a mistake.

brooks_thompson
10-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Need to add that I'm not sold on B. Wright being a more effective player than Koufos. I think losing him to SAC will hurt.

SwishSquared
10-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Hurts to say, but it closed this spring. This core has had five playoff runs starting with the 8-1 upset over the Spurs in '11. They peaked last year when they blew that OT-fest series against OKC.

Last year, Zbo was nowhere near as automatic as usual around the hoop. His touch is fading. Marc Gasol showed that he has a lot of Pau in him after all by playing like an absolute wuss in the Warriors series. Conley has improved every single every year to offset Zbos decline, but this is gonna be season 9 for him.

The front office has done an admirable job of taking risks to try to swing the odds, but Jeff Green instead of Danilo Gallinari was the nail in the coffin I fear. And though it wasn't ever discussed as an option in reality, Vince Carter over Paul Pierce was a mistake.If they could have snagged Gallinari, they would have propped their window open some. The Jeff Green deal was a bust.

I think it's clear Memphis is likely going to be the 6th seed, barring injuries, etc. They are in a second tier of playoff squads out west imo.

brooks_thompson
10-06-2015, 11:22 AM
If they could have snagged Gallinari, they would have propped their window open some. The Jeff Green deal was a bust.

I think it's clear Memphis is likely going to be the 6th seed, barring injuries, etc. They are in a second tier of playoff squads out west imo.

I would agree. With no real basis to judge yet, just a gut feeling, I still think they could take out the Clips, Houston, and maybe San Antonio. I'm not sold on the Spurs with Parker aging and I don't believe Aldridge is a cinch to fit in. Right now I'm still wary after their 2010-era dark ages thanks to the Richard Jefferson experiment. Aldridge is on a higher level as a player, but I don't look at them as a guaranteed WC finalist.

SwishSquared
10-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I would agree. With no real basis to judge yet, just a gut feeling, I still think they could take out the Clips, Houston, and maybe San Antonio. I'm not sold on the Spurs with Parker aging and I don't believe Aldridge is a cinch to fit in. Right now I'm still wary after their 2010-era dark ages thanks to the Richard Jefferson experiment. Aldridge is on a higher level as a player, but I don't look at them as a guaranteed WC finalist.Those are good points. Spurs lost depth (Joseph, Belli, Splitter, etc.) in order to gain more star power. However, I think they felt they needed another high-level, All Star-caliber guy after going down to the Clippers last year. I don't trust Parker at all this year, but at least Patty Mills will be healthier from the beginning of the year. I put the Spurs in the first tier of WC teams (along with GSW, OKC, HOU, and LAC).

Memphis is capable of knocking out a couple of these teams if things break right for them health-wise, but I don't see them making the WCF. They seem like a 2nd round squad as their ceiling.

Lebron23
10-07-2015, 06:11 AM
They should offer him a max contract. He's only 27 yrs.old.

Fallen Angel
11-06-2015, 02:16 AM
Blow it up

hawksdogsbraves
11-06-2015, 03:46 AM

Yeah like others have said their window is shut now. If they'd had one big move for a wing that had worked out and gotten a few bounces their way, they could've maybe won a championship, but it's hard out West. In the East they probably could've had a couple Finals appearances.

They can max Conley and they already have Gasol locked in, but ZBo is wearing down and they don't really have any young talent coming down the pipeline. Don't see any big FA's joining up either.

Fallen Angel
11-06-2015, 04:14 AM
The RTC predicted this.

Survey says: one more for the bad guys.