PDA

View Full Version : GP vs LBJ

andgar923
10-02-2015, 07:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5whwHTSBkc&ab_channel=KarlMalowned32

Gary Payton scored 30 points on an efficient 12-20 shooting and dished out 6 assists. Some rare highlight from Payton's lone season with the Lakers. Payton not only took it to the rim with LeBron guarding him, he also hounded LeBron on the defensive end. Gary Payton's defense forced James into some long scoring droughts in the game. Shaquille O'Neal had a game high 37 points, and the Lakers won the game in OT without Kobe Bryant.

Gary Payton scored 12 points in the 1st quarter, and ran the offense in overtime as the Lakers jumped out front and never looked back in OT. 23 of his 30 points are shown due to espn classic cutting out some parts of the game.

But... but... Bron would murder a shrimp like GP who's only 6'4 :rolleyes:

raprap
10-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Insecure af

andgar923
10-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Insecure af

That's what you are, I agree.

Lebron23
10-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Lebron was an 18 yrs.old kid when he first played Gary Payton. He's basically the same age as our Jameerthefear right now.

Mr. Jabbar
10-02-2015, 08:13 AM
no1 can stop the kung, much less that overrated defender

24-Inch_Chrome
10-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Holy shit, a sample size of one whole game!?! Check and mate.

You and 3ball are just as bad as the Bron/Kobe stans.

andgar923
10-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Holy shit, a sample size of one whole game!?! Check and mate.

You and 3ball are just as bad as the Bron/Kobe stans.

Better than simply looking at 'stats'

24-Inch_Chrome
10-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Just found the box score (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200402040CLE.html), rookie Bron still managed 32 points on 46.2% shooting.

You're seriously using one game from LeBron's rookie year as proof that LeBron couldn't take Payton?

Here's a new word for you and all of your ilk:

Context: the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

Here's another:

Sensationalism: the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement.

Get it? The offseason can't end soon enough.

ArbitraryWater
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
OP stop embarrassing yourself :facepalm

32 pts on 46% as an 18 year old on Payton.... what a loser.

raprap
10-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Thread backfire. :oldlol:

ralph_i_el
10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
>2004

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/874/930/7e7.jpg

andgar923
10-02-2015, 09:28 AM
As expected, checking out the box score.

How many did he score on Payton himself? :confusedshrug:

According the the uploader Payton had him in check.

Sample size? they probably only faced each other 3-4 times and Payton probably only guarded him a select number of times.

Yet when he was on him, Bron didn't simply barrel his way and destroyed the 6'4 player.

According to Bron stans, Bron simply would treat past players as rag dolls, abuse smaller weaker players.

We have FOOTAGE of the opposite. Also according to Bron fans he'd lock up players as small as Payton. How many times have we heard "Bron has size advantage!!! he's an athletic freak!!!" Yet a slow, past his prime, vet destroys him on the offensive end and stops him, forcing him into an air ball at the buzzer.

But.. but... CHECK OUT THE STATS!!!!

sdot_thadon
10-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Sample size? they probably only faced each other 3-4 times and Payton probably only guarded him a select number of times.

Yet when he was on him, Bron didn't simply barrel his way and destroyed the 6'4 player.

According to Bron stans, Bron simply would treat past players as rag dolls, abuse smaller weaker players.

We have FOOTAGE of the opposite. Also according to Bron fans he'd lock up players as small as Payton. How many times have we heard "Bron has size advantage!!! he's an athletic freak!!!" Yet a slow, past his prime, vet destroys him on the offensive end and stops him, forcing him into an air ball at the buzzer.

You do realize as a rookie Lebron's game wasn't exactly the same as his prime right? 3ballin it bro. :biggums: Throwing out a minimum of 5 years of experience but ideally 8 years to the point of him playing the game big regularly in other facets besides driving the ball.

ArbitraryWater
10-02-2015, 09:38 AM

You have never watched the game, you didnt know LeBron had 32 points, you didnt/dont know HOW he scored them....

BUT, you relied on a YouTuber saying

"Gary Payton's defense forced James into some long scoring droughts in the game."

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6_zpsvphybxrl.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6_zpsvphybxrl.gif.html)

andgar923
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
You have never watched the game, you didnt know LeBron had 32 points, you didnt/dont know HOW he scored them....

BUT, you relied on a YouTuber saying

"Gary Payton's defense forced James into some long scoring droughts in the game."

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6_zpsvphybxrl.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6_zpsvphybxrl.gif.html)

And I bet nobody here watched the game either, but they run to the stats sheet because that's what 98% of what Bron fans do, specially regarding old games.

"Bird sucks! Bron is better... stats!!!"

Or

"Bird is old, see... I have footage of a clip!!"

Bron stans do that shit all the time. Yet footage of Bron getting matched by GP shows up they cry.

In past threads: "Bron would KILL GP, GP is a shrimp, GP would get abused by Bron, Bron would abuse past players, hand checking won't stop him"

Video shows up..

GP getting his on Bron
GP stopping Bron with a simple hand check

But... but.. this was before Bron's prime!!!

Well... this was way after GP's prime, so :confusedshrug:

If you had both of them in their primes, they'd battle each other with each one getting a victory over the other from time to time because both are great players. Yet Bron fans claim it would be a wash- an easy victory- a landslide defeat for Bron.

The uploader saw the game.

You guys read the stats.

andgar923
10-02-2015, 09:59 AM
You do realize as a rookie Lebron's game wasn't exactly the same as his prime right? 3ballin it bro. :biggums: Throwing out a minimum of 5 years of experience but ideally 8 years to the point of him playing the game big regularly in other facets besides driving the ball.

You do realize that this was old washed up end of career past prime GP right? :confusedshrug:

Yet he was still hitting step back js on Bron, he was posting him up, he was stopping him with slight hand check.

If they were both in their prime, the outcome wouldn't be much different.

Bron hitting shots on GP, GP hitting shots on Bron, GP stopping Bron and so forth.

Ya'll claiming Bron would demolish GP and other players smaller and from past eras is idiotic. He wouldn't fare any better, he simply wouldn't just ram his way to the paint, simply wouldn't just stop every player cause he's bigger and stronger.

You just alluded to it yourself.... experience and skill matter. Thanks for making my point for me :cheers:

That's what we've ben saying for eons.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Meltdown.

andgar923
10-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Meltdown.

Yeah, I didn't know a simple vid would do this to ya'll.

Ya'll pulling out the gifs and all, pulling out the one-liners was expected, but some of ya'll trying to get philosophical and shit.

Damn I feel bad.

chips93
10-02-2015, 10:31 AM
And I bet nobody here watched the game either, but they run to the stats sheet because that's what 98% of what Bron fans do, specially regarding old games.

"Bird sucks! Bron is better... stats!!!"

Or

"Bird is old, see... I have footage of a clip!!"

Bron stans do that shit all the time. Yet footage of Bron getting matched by GP shows up they cry.

In past threads: "Bron would KILL GP, GP is a shrimp, GP would get abused by Bron, Bron would abuse past players, hand checking won't stop him"

Video shows up..

GP getting his on Bron
GP stopping Bron with a simple hand check

But... but.. this was before Bron's prime!!!

Well... this was way after GP's prime, so :confusedshrug:

If you had both of them in their primes, they'd battle each other with each one getting a victory over the other from time to time because both are great players. Yet Bron fans claim it would be a wash- an easy victory- a landslide defeat for Bron.

The uploader saw the game.

You guys read the stats.

would you mind linking to any of these threads?

you've made a strawman argument, and a piss poor one at that

sdot_thadon
10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
You do realize that this was old washed up end of career past prime GP right? :confusedshrug:

Yet he was still hitting step back js on Bron, he was posting him up, he was stopping him with slight hand check.

If they were both in their prime, the outcome wouldn't be much different.

Bron hitting shots on GP, GP hitting shots on Bron, GP stopping Bron and so forth.

Y'all claiming Bron would demolish GP and other players smaller and from past eras is idiotic. He wouldn't fare any better, he simply wouldn't just ram his way to the paint, simply wouldn't just stop every player cause he's bigger and stronger.

You just alluded to it yourself.... experience and skill matter. Thanks for making my point for me :cheers:

That's what we've ben saying for eons.
Show me where I said anything of the sort, man I swear your avy is a perfect match to your posting. I just think it's incredibly stupid to think this was some sort of proof of anything at all except your ineptitude as a poster.
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/57025529.jpg

Straight_Ballin
10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Lebron was an 18 yrs.old kid when he first played Gary Payton. He's basically the same age as our Jameerthefear right now.

That's great and all, but what does that have to do with the fact that a prime Bron would get stopped by players like Payton, whearas Jordan was able to overcome the glove + double team.

If Bron get's destroyed by iggy and Kwahi on single coverage, you think he can do anything against the glove?

Jordan was a better basketball player and would not get shut down by iggy and Kwahi like Bron did. The man never lost a FMVP when he had the opportunity to get one because he DOESN'T KNOW HOW to not win in the finals. :applause:

Any objection to this sound logic is just pure shit posting that isn't even worthy of a response.

ShawkFactory
10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Why do people keep saying Bron got shut down by Iggy? He shot just as horribly as he did throughout the playoffs. Don't really think Iggy was the culprit.

sdot_thadon
10-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Right, nobody seems to remember that his jumper been off most of the season.

andgar923
10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
would you mind linking to any of these threads?

you've made a strawman argument, and a piss poor one at that

Look for them yourself.

If some Bron posters didn't directly state that, they sure as hell made those references/alluded to doing that.

There's tons of threads in which they state "he's small, Bron would simply overpower him!" or "Bron is taller and an athletic freak, he'd get shut down by Bron"

f*ck outta here

andgar923
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Show me where I said anything of the sort, man I swear your avy is a perfect match to your posting. I just think it's incredibly stupid to think this was some sort of proof of anything at all except your ineptitude as a poster.
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/57025529.jpg

Stop it.

There's plenty of references either directly or indirectly. Alluding to Bron won't get stopped by anybody smaller because he'll simply overpower them. Different times making fun of Mj being guarded by the smaller GP with Bron stans laughing as tho Bron would simply man handle smaller players.

A number of times Bron fans stating how Bron's size and strength would be tough to overcome by smaller defenders/offensive player.

I didn't think one small clip would get ya'll so upset.

Jailblazers7
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Maybe there is a reason that Payton only guarded him a handful of possessions...

It's a lot easier to look good against a guy for a few possessions when the game plan is to keep throwing different looks at him to keep him off balance/out of rhythm. Not to mention the simple fact that Lebron was weaker and less skilled as a rookie. How many times to Lebron even post up during his rookie year?

chips93
10-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Look for them yourself.

If some Bron posters didn't directly state that, they sure as hell made those references/alluded to doing that.

There's tons of threads in which they state "he's small, Bron would simply overpower him!" or "Bron is taller and an athletic freak, he'd get shut down by Bron"

f*ck outta here

you made the thread, you should post them

if you are gonna post a thread supposedly in response to something, you should provide a link to what you are responding to

otherwise you just make yourself look stupid

just curious, but how does someone allude to payton being too small to guard lebron, without outright saying it?

sdot_thadon
10-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Stop it.

There's plenty of references either directly or indirectly. Alluding to Bron won't get stopped by anybody smaller because he'll simply overpower them. Different times making fun of Mj being guarded by the smaller GP with Bron stans laughing as tho Bron would simply man handle smaller players.

A number of times Bron fans stating how Bron's size and strength would be tough to overcome by smaller defenders/offensive player.

I didn't think one small clip would get ya'll so upset.
I don't see anyone that appears upset here bro, just calling out the village idiot. (You)

Lebron is bigger than GP, especially in his current form. I pointed out that using a few possessions from a game when he was a rookie, aka his lightest weight probably wasn't a good indication of anything and your response hasn't done anything to change that thought. GP could succeed at cutting him off on drives sure, he's the freaking glove. But let's not continue to be pathetically clueless and act as if he'd stop him in the post man.

(Look at your avy)

Lebron23
10-02-2015, 11:53 AM
OP got wrecked in this thread. I really feel bad for the OP. He's a good guy, but he needs to stop sniffing MJ's Underwear.

ArbitraryWater
10-02-2015, 01:27 PM
OP got wrecked in this thread. I really feel bad for the OP. He's a good guy, but he needs to stop sniffing MJ's Underwear.

Even OG Jailblazers came out to talk some sense into OP :oldlol:

dubeta
10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
18 year old LeBron did a better job against Payton than Prime Jordan

:yaohappy:

Damn

NBAplayoffs2001
10-02-2015, 04:09 PM
LeBron was only 18 and he wasn't a great defender or a good shooter which is totally excusable since most players don't learn how to shoot for the first few years in the league. I wouldn't hold GP playing him well because LeBron never played defense in any level higher than high school.

Wade's Rings
10-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Name: Lebron23
Avy: Lebron

You need to stop sniffing Bron's underwear.

Lebron23
10-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Name: Lebron23
Avy: Lebron

You need to stop sniffing Bron's underwear.

STFU Wadetard.

Wade's Rings
10-03-2015, 09:24 AM
STFU Wadetard.

STFU Brontard.

Blue&Orange
10-03-2015, 09:42 AM
You do realize as a rookie Lebron's game wasn't exactly the same as his prime right?
Are you sure?