PDA

View Full Version : kobe just doesnt belong in the same sentence as MJ and Lebron

riseagainst
10-02-2015, 05:28 PM
his player impact is not on the same level as the other 2. Sure he might be the greatest 1v1 player ever, but for 5v5, he's realistically in the 11-20 range. Not even 1-10.

Cocaine80s
10-02-2015, 05:30 PM
We knew this already...

sd3035
10-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Don't insult the King by grouping him together with Jordan

3ball
10-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Sure Kobe might be the greatest 1v1 player ever

Show me a Kobe move or shot that MJ can't do.. Seriously - show me 1 move or shot MJ can't do.

Now do you want me to show you moves and shots that Kobe can't do?... There are a million...

So get your head out of your ass - Kobe needs extra dribbles and set up time in his attempts to replicate MJ..... and MJ did so many things and shots that Kobe isn't physically capable of doing.. MJ destroys Kobe as a 1-on-1 player

Don't make me start posting gif after gif of plays Kobe isn't physically capable of.. The gifs are on deck.. I might post some just for the **** of it - it will be INSTANTLY clear, like "oh shit, kobe can't do that".

3ball
10-02-2015, 06:20 PM
How is Lebron in the same sentence as Jordan?

1) Lebron is poor at the additional midrange and 1-on-1 required of high volume shooting - this is statistical fact - so he can't shoot well at high volume, which means you don't need to double team him.. No other top 15 player has these horrible indictments on their game.

2) Lebron's poor of 1-on-1 and midrange efficiency also prevents him from being as good in the 80's, when these were the primary options remaining in the absence of the 3-pointers necessary to make screen-roll/drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile (Lebron's most-used attack).. Without teammates spreading the floor for him and making drive-and-kick the force it is today, Lebron would have to score a much higher proportion via 1-on-1 and mid-range like everyone else in the 80's - since his efficiency in very poor in these areas, we know for a fact he would be a lesser player back then.

3) Lebron craters the APG and assist % of his teammates - this is statistical fact - lower APG for teammates means Lebron prevents the kind of equal-opportunity offenses that the Mavs, Spurs, Warriors, and 90's Bulls used, where all 5 guys share the playmaking duties - since Lebron prevents the best brand of basketball, his teams are susceptible to equal or less-talented opponents pulling upsets by playing a better of basketball (2009, 2011, 2014).

dhsilv
10-02-2015, 06:22 PM

1) Lebron is poor at the additional midrange and 1-on-1 required of high volume shooting - this is statistical fact - so he can't shoot well at high volume, which means you don't need to double team him.. No other top 15 player has these horrible indictments on their game.

2) Lebron's poor of 1-on-1 and midrange efficiency also prevents him from being as good in the 80's, when these were the primary options remaining in the absence of the 3-pointers necessary to make screen-roll/drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile (Lebron's most-used attack).. Without teammates spreading the floor for him and making drive-and-kick the force it is today, Lebron would have to score a much higher proportion via 1-on-1 and mid-range like everyone else in the 80's - since his efficiency in very poor in these areas, we know for a fact he would be a lesser player back then.

3) Lebron craters the APG and assist % of his teammates - this is statistical fact - lower APG for teammates means Lebron prevents the kind of equal-opportunity offenses that the Mavs, Spurs, Warriors, and 90's Bulls used, where all 5 guys share the playmaking duties - since Lebron prevents the best brand of basketball, his teams are susceptible to equal or less-talented opponents pulling upsets by playing a better of basketball (2009, 2011, 2014).

Yes lebron sadly is in the same sentence as Jordan. As much as it remains painful, numbers don't have a bias. It might be ugly, and his game is worse than paint drying, but again he's that good. Numbers don't lie. Our eyes lie, our opinions lie, our biases lie, numbers don't...

Dr Hawk
10-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Show me a Kobe move or shot that MJ can't do.. Seriously - show me 1 move or shot MJ can't do.

Now do you want me to show you moves and shots that Kobe can't do?... There are a million...

So get your head out of your ass - Kobe needs extra dribbles and set up time in his attempts to replicate MJ..... and MJ did so many things and shots that Kobe isn't physically capable of doing.. MJ destroys Kobe as a 1-on-1 player

Don't make me start posting gif after gif of plays Kobe isn't physically capable of.. The gifs are on deck.. I might post some just for the **** of it - it will be INSTANTLY clear, like "oh shit, kobe can't do that".

Please, I want to see some of those gifs :bowdown: :bowdown:

dannywpt
10-02-2015, 06:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEgFnNwPzY

ShaqTwizzle
10-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Show me a Kobe move or shot that MJ can't do..

Can Jordan do this?
http://s1.dmcdn.net/AboRb/526x297-7G2.jpg
Nope.

Kome : 1
Jord : 0

KirbyPls
10-02-2015, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEgFnNwPzY

What do you know? A highlight video from the regular season. :lol

Chicago Ted
10-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Triggered

3ball
10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Lebron is in same sentece as MJ.. Numbers don't lie.

MJ had much better numbers:

Playoffs Thru Age 30:

Jordan: 34.7 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 6.6 APG, 2.3 SPG, 1.0 BLK, 25.4 FGA, 50.1 FG%, 29.6 PER
Lebron: 28.2 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 6.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 0.9 BLK, 20.8 FGA, 47.3 FG%, 27.4 PER

Finals Thru Age 30:

Jordan: 36.3 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 7.9 APG, 2.0 SPG, 0.76 BPG, 52.6% FG, 40.7% 3 PT
Lebron: 26.4 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 6.9 APG, 1.8 SPG, 0.54 BPG, 44.6 FG%, 31.9% 3 PT

Career Playoff Averages:

Jordan: 33.4 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 5.7 APG, 2.1 SPG, 0.9 BLK, 25.1 FGA, 48.7 FG%, 28.6 PER
Lebron: 28.2 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 6.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 0.9 BLK, 20.8 FGA, 47.3 FG%, 27.4 PER

Career Finals Averages:

Jordan: 33.6 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 6.0 APG, 1.8 SPG, 0.65 BPG, 48.1% FG, 36.8% 3 PT
Lebron: 26.4 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 6.9 APG, 1.8 SPG, 0.54 BPG, 44.6 FG%, 31.9% 3 PT

Source: basketball-reference.com

4th Quarter Scoring:

MJ 1997 Playoffs: 9.6
MJ 1998 Playoffs (http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/893/stats/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4): 9.0

MJ 1993 Finals: 10.7
MJ 1997 Finals: 10.4
MJ 1998 Finals: 10.3

FYI: MJ 1988 Regular Season (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380784): 12.1

Lebron 2013 Playoffs: 7.4
Lebron 2014 Playoffs: 5.8
Lebron 2015 Playoffs: 8.1

Lebron 2011 Finals: 2.2
Lebron 2014 Finals: 3.6

Mr. Jabbar
10-02-2015, 06:41 PM
LengLeveTheKeng

knicksman
10-02-2015, 07:06 PM
his player impact is not on the same level as the other 2. Sure he might be the greatest 1v1 player ever, but for 5v5, he's realistically in the 11-20 range. Not even 1-10.

how can you be the best 1v5 if youre not even the best 1v1. And if you play teamball(offball), those apg is normal. Curry, if he wanted to be, can be a 10apg guy but he played offball thats why his apg is less. We have seen this with jordan too. Scorers who cares about apg are cancerous to a team. Iverson, marbury, robertson, archibald. And thats what bran is, underachiever coz he doesnt play optimal style.

theoneneo
10-02-2015, 07:08 PM
OP think he slick tryna sneak Lebron in the same sentence as Jordan thinking a real 1 wasn't gonna call him out :whatever:

You guys bring up all these analytics but always look past two things, basketball is about Scoring, Playing D, and Winning, **** everything else.

Kobe is the Third greatest scorer in League history behind MJ and Wilt, Kobe also has 5 rings.... that's impactful to me

JellyBean
10-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Good Lord! The Kobe hate is ridiculous in this thread. Of course Kobe's name can & should be mentioned in the same sentence as MJ and LeBron. Kobe, like MJ and LeBron, is an all around player. Kobe, like MJ and LeBron, has worked on his craft and improved. Kobe's name belongs in the same sentence as MJ and LeBron.

3ball
10-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Kobe is the Third greatest scorer in League history behind MJ and Wilt, Kobe also has 5 rings.... that's impactful to me

AGREED, and FYI - when I said earlier that Kobe < MJ, I still think Kobe is easily a better player than Lebron.. It's not a tough decision AT ALL, because Kobe has none of these issues:

Vaniiiia
10-02-2015, 07:14 PM
OP think he slick tryna sneak Lebron in the same sentence as Jordan thinking a real 1 wasn't gonna call him out :whatever:

You guys bring up all these analytics but always look past two things, basketball is about Scoring, Playing D, and Winning, **** everything else.

Says who?

He's not even a better scorer than LeBron. Way to expose your ignorance though.

dhsilv
10-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Kobe imo created some space better for fade aways and was a better distance shooter. In general I think Kobe is a better shooter.

That said...who cares? That skill might win him a few horse games but in an nba game Kobe can't touch MJ.

tmacattack33
10-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Just the fact that u make 90% of your threads about MJ vs Lebron shows that you actually think Lebron does belong in the same sentence as Lebron.

You wouldn't make such threads about MJ vs Evan Turner now would you?

NBAplayoffs2001
10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
you don't deserve to belong in the same sentence as "Good poster."

SouBeachTalents
10-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Just the fact that u make 90% of your threads about MJ vs Lebron shows that you actually think Lebron does belong in the same sentence as Lebron.

You wouldn't make such threads about MJ vs Eric Turner now would you?

Lol, was just about to say this. I've never seen him make a single thread about Kobe, but he spends the majority of his life making multiple posts & threads a day discussing LeBron. That tells me which player he truly believes is better

theoneneo
10-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Says who?

He's not even a better scorer than LeBron. Way to expose your ignorance though.

Says who.... hmm lemme see

Kobe has the third most 30, 40, 50, and 60 point games in NBA history. Again, only MJ and Wilt have more.

Kobe is 1 of 5 players in the league to score 30k, currently sitting at third.

Kobe has the second highest scoring game in League History.

Lebron isn't a godly scorer like Mj, Kobe, Wilt. Lebron has played in this AAu style offense his whole career where he can pad them stats. Lebron couldn't put up the same numbers in the Triangle.

Again, OP think he slick, Lebron ain't on Jordans level, never has been, never will be. I never have or Never will make the claim that Kobe is Better than MJ, I think MJ is better, without MJ there is no Kobe, but you can put Kobe in the same sentence as him, that sentence will probably end with Jordan > Kobe which I'm totally cool with.

3ball
10-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Kobe has none of these issues:

You wouldn't make such threads about MJ vs Evan Turner now would you?

The media didn't erroneously preach that Turner was equal to MJ.. The media is dumb, but they're not THAT dumb.

Otoh, they do say Lebron is on MJ's level.. This is erroneous, due to the statistical facts posted above.

The reality is that Lebron needs to decrease the stats of teammates to get his stats - this is statistical fact - it's actually BLATANT statistical fact over a large sample size of his teammates whose stats have all cratered alongside him.

imdaman99
10-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Lol, was just about to say this. I've never seen him make a single thread about Kobe, but he spends the majority of his life making multiple posts & threads a day discussing LeBron. That tells me which player he truly believes is better
Wrong, wrong and wrong on all accounts. Kobe is way past his prime, borderline washed up. Why would he want to discuss him? Lebron is still sort of in his prime and still successful and stays on the court. When Kobe was doing his thing in 2008-2010, you best believe 3ball was posting here trying to remind everyone that Kobe can never be compared to MJ, but I couldn't tell you his nick.

dubeta
10-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Says who.... hmm lemme see

Kobe has the third most 30, 40, 50, and 60 point games in NBA history. Again, only MJ and Wilt have more.

Kobe is 1 of 5 players in the league to score 30k, currently sitting at third.

Kobe has the second highest scoring game in League History.

Lebron isn't a godly scorer like Mj, Kobe, Wilt. Lebron has played in this AAu style offense his whole career where he can pad them stats. Lebron couldn't put up the same numbers in the Triangle.

Again, OP think he slick, Lebron ain't on Jordans level, never has been, never will be. I never have or Never will make the claim that Kobe is Better than MJ, I think MJ is better, without MJ there is no Kobe, but you can put Kobe in the same sentence as him, that sentence will probably end with Jordan > Kobe which I'm totally cool with.

For a 'godly' scorer, Kobe is pretty shit in the Finals

Overall 24 ppg on 41% fg :biggums:

LeBron averages MORE Points than Kobe on HIGHER efficiency than Kobe, in the regular season, playoffs AND Finals.

Its a clean sweep, LeBron has Kobe beat in volume AND efficiency in all levels of competition. LeBron is a better scorer and its not even close

But of course, being the Kobe troll that you are, keep closing your eyes to basic, clear-cut logic and keep believing Kobe is a 'Godly' scorer

sportjames23
10-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Don't hurt 'em like that, bruh. :rockon:

bobopenguin
10-03-2015, 12:57 PM
whole post doesnt make sense..

why is lebron in the same sentence with MJ and kobe?

and i am a big bran stan.

Mr Feeny
10-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Yes lebron sadly is in the same sentence as Jordan. As much as it remains painful, numbers don't have a bias. It might be ugly, and his game is worse than paint drying, but again he's that good. Numbers don't lie. Our eyes lie, our opinions lie, our biases lie, numbers don't...

Agree here. They're 1st and 3rd in PER all time, respective. I never thought we'd see the day when another player would post stats in the same ballpark as Michael Jordan, but it's happened. Lebron is sensational. Should he continue at this rate for another 3 years or so, who knows where we'd rank him.

3ball
10-04-2015, 12:01 AM
:facepalm

3ball
10-04-2015, 12:04 AM
I never thought we'd see the day when another player would post stats in the same ballpark as Michael Jordan, but it's happened.

The problem with you idiots is you think 27 points from one guy = 27 points from another guy... That isn't the case, but you guys don't understand basketball, so you argue your points as if it is the case.

Also, having stats "in the same ballpark" doesn't mean you're equal with MJ... A lot of guys have stats "in the same ballpark" as Jordan.. None of them are his equal.

In Lebron's case, MJ scored 20% more per 100 possessions in the playoffs on better efficiency, while having the same assist averages (7.3 per 100 possessions to Lebron's 8.3, but Jordan has less TO's).

In the Finals, MJ scored 30% more on better efficiency with 0.9 less apg.. So you're wrong anyway - Lebron isn't really in the ballpark - 30% less scoring and equal assists isn't in the ballpark.. Seriously, do you want me to post their playoff and Finals stats?.. MJ's destroy Lebron's.

dhsilv
10-04-2015, 12:26 AM
The problem with you idiots is you think 27 points from one guy = 27 points from another guy... That isn't the case, but you guys don't understand basketball, so you argue your points as if it is the case.

Also, having stats "in the same ballpark" doesn't mean you're equal with MJ... A lot of guys have stats "in the same ballpark" as Jordan.. None of them are his equal.

In Lebron's case, MJ scored 20% more per 100 possessions in the playoffs on better efficiency, while having the same assist averages (7.3 per 100 possessions to Lebron's 8.3, but Jordan has less TO's).

In the Finals, MJ scored 30% more on better efficiency with 0.9 less apg.. So you're wrong anyway - Lebron isn't really in the ballpark - 30% less scoring and equal assists isn't in the ballpark.. Seriously, do you want me to post their playoff and Finals stats?.. MJ's destroy Lebron's.

Who other than Lebron is in the ball park of MJ? Wilt and Kareem maybe, Shaq and David Robinson had a couple of years maybe. I"m stretching just to have a list here.

Just for simplicity.

Career playoff stats MJ vs Lebron.

VORP
Jordan 22.8
Lebron 23.7

WS
Jordan 39.8
Lebron 36.9

PER

Jordan 28.6
Lebron 27.4

Now I'll let you determine if usage rates of 35.6% with TS% of 56.8% and assist percentage of 28.2% and rebound percentage of 9.3% is or isn't better than usage rates of 32.1% TS% of 56.5% and assist percentage of 33.4% and rebound percentages of 12.5%. Those a pretty darn close stats imo.

Even their net offensive and defensive per 100 stats are +13 and + 14 respectively. It couldn't be closer.

Jordan was better, there's not much debate imo. He simply had the intangibles to push his teams over the top, but lets remember their records

MJ was 6 for 15
Lebron is 2 for 12

The finals success was

MJ 6 for 15
Lebron 6 for 12

Lebron keep in mind didn't play 3 years of college ball so he was 3 years younger to start his career. If we treat his first 3 years has college he's made 6 finals in 9 years and is about the age MJ was for his second 3 peat. I don't think Lebron has it in him to pass michael from a peak perspective, but he'll blow past him in longevity and might have a case for best ever if he can manage a few more titles.

It honestly sucks being an NBA fan when lebron might actually go down as the best ever, but sadly that's the horrible world we're living in. Hopefully his breaks his back and never players again :)

sdot_thadon
10-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Oh he used to flood this same forum with kobe vs. Mj threads a few years back. Same unprompted copy paste jobs. He's just showing who he feels most insecure about atm.

dubeta
10-04-2015, 12:40 AM
LeBrons 28% rebound advantage and 16% assist advantage >>> Jordan's 20% scoring advantage.

Its not close, unless by your same logic T-mac >> Duncan if scoring is everything??

3ball, just admit LeBron is a better player than Jordan, its not hard.

3ball
10-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Per 100 Possessions in the Playoffs:

JORDAN: 43.3 pts.. 2.2 oreb.. 6.1 dreb.. 7.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 118 ORtg
LEBRON: 36.5 pts.. 2.0 oreb.. 9.3 dreb.. 8.6 ast.. 4.5 tov.. 114 ORtg

Finals Stats:

JORDAN: 33.6 ppg.. 6.0 rpg.. 6.0 apg.. 2.8 tov.. 48.1% fg
LEBRON: 26.4 ppg.. 9.6 rpg.. 6.9 apg.. 3.8 tov.. 44.6% fg

MJ has 20-30% more scoring on better efficiency, equal assists when you consider TO's, and more offensive rebounds... Since when is this considered close?

dhsilv
10-04-2015, 12:51 AM

JORDAN: 43.3 pts... 8.3 reb.. 7.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 118 ORtg
LEBRON: 36.5 pts.. 11.3 reb.. 8.6 ast.. 4.5 tov.. 114 ORtg

Finals Stats:

MJ has 20-30% more scoring on better efficiency and equal assists when you consider TO's... Since when is this considered close?

We could start with FG% is misleading given TS% in the playoffs is nearly identical...but that's why you're avoiding just using PER so we can use a somewhat normalized stat...

Also love you didn't include DRtg MJ 104 Lebron 101

So their net per 100 stats are off by 1...

HighFlyer23
10-04-2015, 12:58 AM

JORDAN: 43.3 pts... 8.3 reb.. 7.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 118 ORtg
LEBRON: 36.5 pts.. 11.3 reb.. 8.6 ast.. 4.5 tov.. 114 ORtg

Finals Stats:

MJ has 20-30% more scoring on better efficiency and equal assists when you consider TO's... Since when is this considered close?

You are a real retard

kennethgriffin
10-04-2015, 12:59 AM
all I know is that if I ever meet Michael Jordan in person

I'd just tell him

'so you're the guy they drafted at the 3rd position'

are you kidding?

if i ever met jordan the only thing i could possibly ask him is

"what really happened in 1994"

dhsilv
10-04-2015, 01:01 AM
are you kidding?

Dude no way. You tell him you can count cards, get him to a casino, let him front you the cash, get him drunk and THEN you ask about 94.

GimmeThat
10-04-2015, 01:07 AM
are you kidding?

probably why I am publicly well known and you are not.

theoneneo
10-04-2015, 01:12 AM
**** all this talking, and these nerd stats.

Jordan scored in bunches and WON all the time.

Kobe scores in Bunches and WON more times than not.

These two guys played in a system where the ball moved, but they still got their points. When Jordan played in a Lebron style offense he Averaged 33 8 and 8 when Kobe played in a Lebron style offense he Averaged 27 6 and 6, and he was 34 years old at the time.

As we saw with Westbrook last season with all those monster triple doubles, it ain't hard for a perimeter player to ball hog and get them "Lebron looking stats"

But here's the point, and I know this absolutely kills you Bran stans. Lebron gets these stats, and he Looses more than he wins. Lebron clearly don't belong in that Upper Echelon with MJ, KOBE, MAGIC, SHAQ, DUNCAN... etc.

:confusedshrug: Deal with it?

dubeta
10-04-2015, 01:13 AM
are you kidding?

if i ever met Kobe the only thing i could possibly ask him is

"what really happened in 2003"

ftfy

:cheers:

dubeta
10-04-2015, 01:13 AM
LeBrons 28% rebound advantage and 16% assist advantage >>> Jordan's 20% scoring advantage.

Its not close, unless by your same logic T-mac >> Duncan if scoring is everything??

3ball, just admit LeBron is a better player than Jordan, its not hard.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/TQh3nVXVx9Xlm/200_s.gif

GimmeThat
10-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Dude no way. You tell him you can count cards, get him to a casino, let him front you the cash, get him drunk and THEN you ask about 94.

if you think you can f*ck over Michael Jordan.

this would be counting his Wizards days pretty much

JT123
10-04-2015, 01:28 AM
3ball getting his shit pushed in as per usual :oldlol:

warriorfan
10-04-2015, 02:04 AM

http://i.giphy.com/9EIO6RxLUhFPG.gif

ImKobe
10-04-2015, 05:25 AM
he's in the same sentence as 2/6 and 1/9 in the thread title, op :facepalm

clipps
10-04-2015, 05:40 AM
What a well thought, original thread.

Gileraracer
10-04-2015, 06:13 AM
That beta guy without a jumpshot, without postmoves and with that actor talent shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as MJ.