PDA

View Full Version : "We were the most devastating, in the most devastating era."

ClipperRevival
10-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Who said this? And if you know the answer, do you agree with the statement?

1987_Lakers
10-04-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm guessing it was one of the Bad Boy Pistons players, and although I somewhat agree, you have to admit their '89 championship run was one of the easiest ever, they played teams that were without their best player.

warriorfan
10-04-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't agree, MJ was the most devastating with Curry as a close second.

lilteapot
10-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't agree, MJ was the most devastating with Curry as a close second.
gave up finals mvp to a roleplayer. fluke MVP

Wade's Rings
10-04-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing it was one of the Bad Boy Pistons players, and although I somewhat agree, you have to admit their '89 championship run was one of the easiest ever, they played teams that were without their best player.

How ironic coming from 1987 Lakers.

3ball
10-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Who said this? And if you know the answer, do you agree with the statement?

Mark Aguirre said this during the Pistons documentary - he said the Pistons were the most devastating team in the most devastating era (the 80's)

I agree with him.

While MJ was the most devastating individually, the Pistons were the most devastating team, just based on who they beat - they beat a prime Magic, prime Bird, and prime Jordan.. No other team in history has beaten such a high level of talent, or FACED such high level of competition consistently - every year from 1987-1991, there was an epic battle between Pistons and either MJ/Larry/Magic, or all 3.

In today's game, that would be like beating Kobe, Durant, and Lebron - Dallas did this in 2011, but they weren't facing these guys in epic battles every year, nor did they employ a physically-intimidating, era-defining style of the Pistons.. That was an advantage of a 20-team league - the best players faced each other more often, which resulted in more legendary battles that stand the test of time.

The Pistons' era-defining, physical style is another reason they were the most devastating - they used a physically bruising style of play and tactics like the "Jordan Rules", which were every-possession (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386210) double teams and hard fouling.. This gave them an aura of toughness that is STILL unmatched in the history of the game.. Accordingly, a big reason why the Pistons were the most devastating is that they devastated opponents mentally more than any team in the history of the game.

There is no better example of the Pistons mental intimidation then what they did to Scottie Pippen - in the 1989 ECF, they scared him into 10/7 on 40%... In 1990 ECF, they held him to 17/6/3 on 42%, including one of the biggest chokes ever in Game 7.. Bill Laimbeer described it perfectly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC74bv46Z8&t=1h07m33s): "We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen... It was MJ and the Jordannaires, and you can't win with just 1 player like that"... The Piston's ownage of Pippen is a great example of how devastating they could be.

Bosnian Sajo
10-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Thought Rodman said this, guess not.

Bay Area Baller
10-04-2015, 07:43 PM
is the answer Jason Terry

Bay Area Baller
10-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Mark Aguirre said this during the Pistons documentary - he said the Pistons were the most devastating team in the most devastating era (the 80's)

I agree with him.

While MJ was the most devastating individually, the Pistons were the most devastating team, just based on who they beat - they beat a prime Magic, prime Bird, and prime Jordan.. No other team in history has beaten such a high level of talent, or FACED such high level of competition consistently - every year from 1987-1991, there was an epic battle between Pistons and either MJ/Larry/Magic, or all 3.

In today's game, that would be like beating Kobe, Durant, and Lebron - Dallas did this in 2011, but they weren't facing these guys in epic battles every year, nor did they employ a physically-intimidating, era-defining style of the Pistons.. That was an advantage of a 20-team league - the best players faced each other more often, which resulted in more legendary battles that stand the test of time.

The Pistons' era-defining, physical style is another reason they were the most devastating - they used a physically bruising style of play and tactics like the "Jordan Rules", which were every-possession (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386210) double teams and hard fouling.. This gave them an aura of toughness that is STILL unmatched in the history of the game.. Accordingly, a big reason why the Pistons were the most devastating is that they devastated opponents mentally more than any team in the history of the game.

There is no better example of the Pistons mental intimidation then what they did to Scottie Pippen - in the 1989 ECF, they scared him into 10/7 on 40%... In 1990 ECF, they held him to 17/6/3 on 42%, including one of the biggest chokes ever in Game 7.. Bill Laimbeer described it perfectly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC74bv46Z8&t=1h07m33s): "We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen... It was MJ and the Jordannaires, and you can't win with just 1 player like that"... The Piston's ownage of Pippen is a great example of how devastating they could be.

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Nice read, loved watching the Pistons destroy teams.

97 bulls
10-04-2015, 10:02 PM

I agree with him.

Mental intimidation?????? Sure if you call them literally karate chopping him in the head, elbows, and hits that would make Ronnie Lot cringe.

I don't see how a guy playing with pain should be considered a.choke.

I also find it funny that you constantly blame Pippen for the Bulls losing then say how worthless he was during their title runs. Which is it.

That quote is irrelevant to the overall career of Pip. Im positive that the Pistons players would say something totally different today.

ClipperRevival
10-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Mental intimidation?????? Sure if you call them literally karate chopping him in the head, elbows, and hits that would make Ronnie Lot cringe.

I don't see how a guy playing with pain should be considered a.choke.

I also find it funny that you constantly blame Pippen for the Bulls losing then say how worthless he was during their title runs. Which is it.

That quote is irrelevant to the overall career of Pip. Im positive that the Pistons players would say something totally different today.

Your Pippen fandom continues to shine through. Did you watch the 30 for 30 Bad Boys documentary? If you didn't, you need to watch it because even Pippen himself admitted he choked.

His game 7 in the 1990 ECF is the single worst choke job ever in a game 7 for a "second fiddle" star. 1-10 from the field for 2 points. He checked out mentally and Pip even admitted it. Why can't YOU accept this fact if the guy himself admitted it?

ClipperRevival
10-04-2015, 10:20 PM

I agree with him.

:applause:

Correct. Personally, the Bad Boys documentary is my fav basketball documentary of all time. And I also agree with Aguirre's comments. They were the most devastating in the most devastating era.

97 bulls
10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Your Pippen fandom continues to shine through. Did you watch the 30 for 30 Bad Boys documentary? If you didn't, you need to watch it because even Pippen himself admitted he choked.

His game 7 in the 1990 ECF is the single worst choke job ever in a game 7 for a "second fiddle" star. 1-10 from the field for 2 points. He checked out mentally and Pip even admitted it. Why can't YOU accept this fact if the guy himself admitted it?
And you're worse than he is. At least he readily admits hes Jordans side bitch.

I watched that video and I don't remember Pippen saying that. Either way calling what the Pistons did as getting into someones head is an understatement to the highest degree. They were thugs plain and simple.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-04-2015, 10:38 PM

I agree with him.

Goddamn, a legitimately good, non-obnoxious 3ball post. :applause:

ClipperRevival
10-04-2015, 10:48 PM
And you're worse than he is. At least he readily admits hes Jordans side bitch.

I watched that video and I don't remember Pippen saying that. Either way calling what the Pistons did as getting into someones head is an understatement to the highest degree. They were thugs plain and simple.

You watched the documentary and didn't see the parts I was talking about? You are a worse Pip fan than I thought.

Pointguard
10-04-2015, 10:56 PM
The Lakers were the best team of the '80's and its a joke to compare the Pistons to them. They did have their minute of fame in the Magic/Bird era. Magic won in '87 and '88 as Kareem's role died out. So a person can say in '89 the Piston's won once in the '80's. They did win the next year which was far from the most competitive year in the 80's. 1982 thru 87 had a few all time great teams in them. Better teams than in '87 to '90. Detroit probably was the roughest, true. Era's are not three years.

I am surprised that people here are hyping the Pistons of that time and never talking about Isiah in these top PG discussions or as being top 20.

sd3035
10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Had they gone soft by '91 when Malone intentionally almost killed their best player with no retaliation?

chips93
10-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Goddamn, a legitimately good, non-obnoxious 3ball post. :applause:

aside from the obligatory shot at pippen

97 bulls
10-04-2015, 11:31 PM
You watched the documentary and didn't see the parts I was talking about? You are a worse Pip fan than I thought.
Its not there. He never said he choked. He said (and im paraphrasing) "I woke up in the morning with a headache I had never expierenced in my life. As the pressure grew (im assuming the magnitude of the game) it got worse. And I couldn't answer the bell."

Dont see how that could be interpreted as he choked. Unless you feel he was lying. Which would make you a despicable individual.

97 bulls
10-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Exactly.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-04-2015, 11:43 PM

Yeah, but it wasn't as bad as he usually is. I let it slide.

Kobe_6/8
10-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Dennis Rodman biography from 1996

We'd target Pippen and make sure Michael didn't have a lot of help.

Scottie impressed me when I first got to Chicago. He's better when you're playing with him than against him.

I pushed Scottie from the back and he landed on his chin in the first row. He has a nasty scar. I don't expect Scottie to forgive me or forget about that.

Scottie took himself out of the game after that incident. He got freaked out by me. All of the sudden he had a migraine headache. A lot of people think he was faking, but I think it was real. Maybe he had Rodman on the brain.

I was doing my job, making Scottie think about what he had to do tomorrow to make up for his mistakes today.

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Its not there. He never said he choked. He said (and im paraphrasing) "I woke up in the morning with a headache I had never expierenced in my life. As the pressure grew (im assuming the magnitude of the game) it got worse. And I couldn't answer the bell."

Dont see how that could be interpreted as he choked. Unless you feel he was lying. Which would make you a despicable individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbpMlJqA3I

1:08.00 to 1:10.45.

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 01:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbpMlJqA3I

1:08.00 to 1:10.45.
Where did he say he choked?????

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 01:14 AM
You guys need to read up on the effects of a migrane. Ive seen people thag have them and it puts them on their knees. And being in that type of environment can only make it worse. Bright lights, loud noise, do make it worse thus why he used the word pressure when talking about how it was effecting him. Then go out and play 42 minutes against guys who are cheapshotting you all night.

Did he have an awful game? Obviously. But how is that a "choke"

3ball
10-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Im positive that the Pistons players would say something totally different today.

The quote where Laimbeer said the Pistons "didn't even think about Pippen" was made THIS YEAR - it's from the Bad Boys documentary - I already posted the link - here it is again:

BILL LAIMBEER:

"We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen. It was Michael Jordan and the Jordannaires - and you can't win championships like that with only 1 player."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC74bv46Z8&t=1h07m33s

So you were DEAD WRONG - you weren't "positive" about shit.. Accept you're wrong on this - Pippen was nothing in 1989 (10/7 on 40% in ECF), and cost the Bulls the championship in 1990 with his choke in Game 7 of ECF (remember, the Bulls likely beat Blazers in Finals, since Pistons only needed 6 to beat Blazers, but needed 7 and Pippen choke to beat Bulls).

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 02:05 AM
The quote where Laimbeer said the Pistons "didn't even think about Pippen" was made THIS YEAR - it's from the Bad Boys documentary - I already posted the link - here it is again:

BILL LAIMBEER:

"We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen. It was Michael Jordan and the Jordannaires - and you can't win championships like that with only 1 player."

So you were DEAD WRONG - you weren't "positive" about shit.. Accept you're wrong on this - Pippen was nothing in 1989 (10/7 on 40% in ECF), and cost the Bulls the championship in 1990 with his choke in Game 7 of ECF (remember, the Bulls likely beat Blazers in Finals, since Pistons only needed 6 to beat Blazers, but needed 7 and Pippen choke to beat Bulls).
He was talking about that point in time you simpleton. You continue to take that quote and use it as if it held true throughout Pippens career. Im the first to say Pippen wasnt ready to take on the Pistons at that time. But he eventualy came into his own and after that...the rest is history. Funny thing is the "Jordan rules", it seems to me that Pippen got the same treatment.

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:11 AM
He was talking about that point in time you simpleton.

Exactly... At that point in time - 1988, 1989 and 1990 - the Pistons "didn't even think about Pippen"... Those were the 3 years the Pistons beat the Bulls.

And no, Pippen never faced the Jordan Rules... You must be literally 11 years old if you think that flies... Pippen never got double-teamed - and that's what the Jordan Rules were: every-possession (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386210) double-teams.

Straight_Ballin
10-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Isaiah played in a game with a broken foot. That would never happen in today's soft era.

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 02:22 AM
Exactly... At that point in time - 1988, 1989 and 1990 - the Pistons "didn't even think about Pippen"... Those were the 3 years the Pistons beat the Bulls.

And no, Pippen never faced the Jordan Rules... You must be literally 11 years old if you think that flies... Pippen never got double-teamed - and that's what the Jordan Rules were: every-possession (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386210) double-teams.
You obviously don't knw what the Jodan rules were. If Jordan drove to the baskets he was to get put on his ass. The same held true for Pippen.

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:26 AM
You obviously don't knw what the Jodan rules were. If Jordan drove to the baskets he was to get put on his ass. The same held true for Pippen.
Pippen never faced the Jordan Rules.... Apparently, you have no idea how ridiculous that is.

And anyone can read the posts on the previous page and see how wrong you were about every single point, beginning with you being "positive" that Laimbeer didn't say Pippen sucked recently... When he said it this year..

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 02:30 AM
Where did he say he choked?????

"....I don't know if it was the pressure of the game. But as the pressure grew, the migraine grew."

"I wasn't able to answer the bell."

Really? :oldlol:

Like I said, worst choke job ever by a 2nd fiddle star in a game 7. 1-10, 2 points. He mentally checked out. What more can I guy say than the above to prove it? Pip did grow up starting in 1991 and MJ wins no rings without Pip but let's call the 1989-90 Pip in game 7 for what it is. He choked. The stats prove it and so do his comments.

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:34 AM
but let's call the 1989-90 Pip in game 7 for what it is. He choked. The stats prove it and so do his comments.

Pippen didn't just choke in 1990 playoffs.

He was MIA in 1988 ECSF vs. Pistons (9 ppg on 45%) and 1989 ECF (10 ppg on 40%)

Jordan MADE this guy... Anyone who knows basketball knows this (i.e. Pippen, the Bulls team, Shaq, Laimbeer, isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, the entire Pistons team).

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 02:45 AM
The Jordan Rules were pretty unique in that Detroit tried to funnel MJ to the middle of the court instead of the baseline. When trying to stop a great wing scorer, most defenses want to funnel guys to the baseline because their options are more limited than the middle of the court but MJ was so devastating on the baseline that Detroit decided to funnel him to the middle instead. MJ's ability to finish on either side of the basket made Detroit do that. No player has ever been close to MJ's ability to jump on one side of the basket and either finish on the same side or hang in the air long enough to easily finish on the other side of the basket. You also add in his explosive jumps off one or two feet along with the speed at which he was able to get to the basket and Detroit chose to give MJ the middle of the court instead, where MJ had more options.

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 02:49 AM
Pippen didn't just choke in 1990 playoffs.

He was MIA in 1988 ECSF vs. Pistons (9 ppg on 45%) and 1989 ECF (10 ppg on 40%)

Jordan MADE this guy... Anyone who knows basketball knows this (i.e. Pippen, the Bulls team, Shaq, Laimbeer, isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, the entire Pistons team).

Lol. MJ didn't make Pippen. Did MJ have a hand in showing him what being an alpha was all about along with some confidence? Of course. But Pip was a great player in his own right once he matured. Even the Pistons knew that once Pip played up to his potential, they couldn't beat Chicago. Like Aguirre said of Pip in the 1991 ECF, "Pippen grew up."

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:51 AM
The Jordan Rules were pretty unique in that Detroit tried to funnel MJ to the middle of the court instead of the baseline. When trying to stop a great wing scorer, most defenses want to funnel guys to the baseline because their options are more limited than the middle of the court but MJ was so devastating on the baseline that Detroit decided to funnel him to the middle instead. MJ's ability to finish on either side of the basket made Detroit do that. No player has ever been close to MJ's ability to jump on one side of the basket and either finish on the same side or hang in the air long enough to easily finish on the other side of the basket. You also add in his explosive jumps off one or two feet along with the speed at which he was able to get to the basket and Detroit chose to give MJ the middle of the court instead, where MJ had more options.

That's nice and everything, but the Jordan Rules were also every-possession double-teams, particularly in the 4th quarter - watch the last 7-8 minutes of ANY Bulls-Piston playoff game from 1989 or 1990... MJ was doubled literally every time he touched it (of course there are always rare exceptions, but 10+ consecutive double-teams is easy to find from the 4th quarter in ANY of those games).

People act like there was such thing as the "Shaq Rules"... Or the "Kobe Rules".... Or the "Lebron Rules".... There were never ANY of these things... Only the Jordan Rules... Btw, hack-a-Shaq is an excuse NOT to double team Shaq - being able to foul Shaq is one of the reasons he wasn't doubled as much as 80's MJ (in addition to never being a 1-man team like 80's MJ was).

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 02:57 AM
"....I don't know if it was the pressure of the game. But as the pressure grew, the migraine grew."

"I wasn't able to answer the bell."

Really? :oldlol:

Like I said, worst choke job ever by a 2nd fiddle star in a game 7. 1-10, 2 points. He mentally checked out. What more can I guy say than the above to prove it? Pip did grow up starting in 1991 and MJ wins no rings without Pip but let's call the 1989-90 Pip in game 7 for what it is. He choked. The stats prove it and so do his comments.
Do you even know what a choke is????? A 90 percent shooter missing two FTs in the waining moments of a game is a choke. A guy having a bad game due to an injury isnt.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe he really had a migrane or was he lying

dubeta
10-05-2015, 02:58 AM
Pistons game planned around stopping Pippen, stop trying to say otherwise

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 02:59 AM
That's nice and everything, but the Jordan Rules were also every-possession double-teams, particularly in the 4th quarter - watch the last 7-8 minutes of ANY Bulls-Piston playoff game from 1989 or 1990... MJ was doubled literally every time he touched it (of course there are always rare exceptions, but 10+ consecutive double-teams is easy to find from the 4th quarter in ANY of those games).

In simple terms, the Jordan Rules pretty much meant we send a whole lot of help against #23. No wing player has ever instilled such fear against opponents. And the Bad Boy Pistons are one of the best teams ever and they still worried about one guy that much.

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 03:02 AM
Do you even know what a choke is????? A 90 percent shooter missing two FTs in the waining moments of a game is a choke. A guy having a bad game due to an injury isnt.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe he really had a migrane or was he lying

I think Pip might've had some minor headache but he let the pressure affect him mentally, meaning he wasn't focused and on point. To me, that's a choke. And like I said, his stats and comments prove this.

ClipperRevival
10-05-2015, 03:07 AM
When you say,"I don't know if it was the pressure of the game. But as the pressure grew, the migraine grew. Or, " I wasn't able to answer the bell." That tells me the guy wasn't mentally ready to play in that game and if you aren't mentally into a game, you have a game like 1-10 and 2 points. Pip played 42 minutes that game. If he was REALLY that affected by a real migraine, you can't play 42 minutes.

sportjames23
10-05-2015, 03:13 AM
Pistons game planned around stopping Pippen, stop trying to say otherwise

This little bitch wasn't even born back then tryin to tell us what happened. :oldlol:

No, son, their game plan was to focus on MJ and make the other Bulls try to beat them. Every Piston back then has been on record in saying that.

dubeta
10-05-2015, 03:21 AM
This little bitch wasn't even born back then tryin to tell us what happened. :oldlol:

No, son, their game plan was to focus on MJ and make the other Bulls try to beat them. Every Piston back then has been on record in saying that.

When did they gameplan against Jordan?

I don't think any team in the league specifically 'gameplanned' against Jordan pre 1991

They knew that good teams won, and not individual players

Heck, do you believe the Celtics gameplanned against Jordan when he scored 63? :oldlol:

They allowed him to statpad and he got swept, multiple times

Jordan couldnt win with scoring over and over, that had already been proven previously

Once Pippen ran the offense, teams gameplanned to stop him, because stopping him meant stopping the entire triangle, as the offense ran through him. Jordan? they allowed him to score, the "Jordan Rules" was fabricated media nonsense that tried to take attention from the key defensive issues.

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 03:23 AM
I think Pip might've had some minor headache but he let the pressure affect him mentally, meaning he wasn't focused and on point. To me, that's a choke. And like I said, his stats and comments prove this.
Lol. A minor headache????? Just come out and say that you think he lied.

His stats showed he had a bad game. Are you gonna say that a player having a bad game a choke? If thats the case then every athlete has choked.

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 03:28 AM
When you say,"I don't know if it was the pressure of the game. But as the pressure grew, the migraine grew. Or, " I wasn't able to answer the bell." That tells me the guy wasn't mentally ready to play in that game and if you aren't mentally into a game, you have a game like 1-10 and 2 points. Pip played 42 minutes that game. If he was REALLY that affected by a real migraine, you can't play 42 minutes.
He shouldnt have played. Again. As i stated. He went into an environment that would make a migraine worse. Brighg light and noise are the two worse things to endure with a migraine. And to act as if he shouldn't have had pressure is just utterly ridiculous. A game 7 vs a team that intentionally trying to hurt you an you have a migraine?????

sportjames23
10-05-2015, 03:30 AM
When did they gameplan against Jordan?

I don't think any team in the league specifically 'gameplanned' against Jordan pre 1991

They knew that good teams won, and not individual players

Heck, do you believe the Celtics gameplanned against Jordan when he scored 63? :oldlol:

They allowed him to statpad and he got swept, multiple times

Jordan couldnt win with scoring over and over, that had already been proven previously

Once Pippen ran the offense, teams gameplanned to stop him, because stopping him meant stopping the entire triangle, as the offense ran through him. Jordan? they allowed him to score, the "Jordan Rules" was fabricated media nonsense that tried to take attention from the key defensive issues.

You cannot be this stupid. You can't.

But you are.

Oh, and MJ got swept twice--both times by one of the greatest teams of all time, while his team was weak as ****. Bron, on the other hand, got swept by the 2007 Spurs, who aren't on many people's list of all time great teams.

And NO team ever game planned to stop Scottie. Stop trying to revise history in which you never even witness, bitch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Rules

Wow, this was a plan that was in place pre-1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLv2F33snCE

Oh, shit, look at that planning for MJ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYKrcM1k0U

Damn, are these ex-Pistons talking about the Jordan Rules?

Mr Feeny
10-05-2015, 03:31 AM

He's not a Pippen fan. He's a Jordan hater disguised as a Bulls and Pippen fan. And he's rather pathetic.

97 bulls
10-05-2015, 03:37 AM
He's not a Pippen fan. He's a Jordan hater disguised as a Bulls and Pippen fan. And he's rather pathetic.
What makes me a Jordan hater? Beause i dont feel he won 6 championships by himself?

FKAri
10-05-2015, 03:51 AM
What makes me a Jordan hater? Beause i dont feel he won 6 championships by himself?

yes. you hating hater. why arent you sucking off MJ like the rest of us?

dubeta
10-05-2015, 04:02 AM
97 bulls is the only rational poster from the 90's here

The rest have gone senile/delusional and cannot resort to any rational discussion about Pippen's Bulls

Spurs5Rings2014
10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Dennis Rodman biography from 1996

We'd target Pippen and make sure Michael didn't have a lot of help.

Scottie impressed me when I first got to Chicago. He's better when you're playing with him than against him.

I pushed Scottie from the back and he landed on his chin in the first row. He has a nasty scar. I don't expect Scottie to forgive me or forget about that.

Scottie took himself out of the game after that incident. He got freaked out by me. All of the sudden he had a migraine headache. A lot of people think he was faking, but I think it was real. Maybe he had Rodman on the brain.

I was doing my job, making Scottie think about what he had to do tomorrow to make up for his mistakes today.

Idk, mangs. When I read stuff like this it makes me think they did try to stop Pippen as well. Or is Rodman lying, too.

:confusedshrug:

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:29 PM
This was the consensus about Pippen:

Bill Laimbeer:

"The Jordan Rules were to just stop him, because no one else could beat you on that ballclub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2v0LOhjsJs&t=1m22s

Chuck Daly:

"It doesn't entail me playing you necessarily... it's our 5.... playing... you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCMWuCdsGQ&t=27m41s

Chuck Daly:

"We knew how dangerous he was and we knew going into the playoffs that we had to do something special.. So we most definitely devised what we called "the Jordan Rules""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIY_4vIxGEE&t=22m49s

Bill Laimbeer:

Shaquille O'Neal:

"You did okay, but MJ did most of the work"

"Remember I WAS BATMAN YOU WAS ROBIN , I was PUFFY YOU WAS MASE"

"See what happens when Michael Jordan ain't protecting you, you lose a 17 pt lead in the fourth quarter." (referring to 2000 WCF Game 7)

Phil Jackson:

"Don't leave Michael all alone here. It's not TIME yet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOgJhzj4W9M&t=30m20s

This was Phil Jackson during a huddle in the 1991 NBA Finals, showing how the everyday game plan was to leave Michael alone and let him do everything down the stretch of games.

Dumars and Isiah:

"Isiah said he sat out by the water for 4-5 hours (thinking about MJ)".

"Dumars and i were on the phone for hours, talking about 23 in red."

"Isiah called me at 3 in the morning and said 'I think i finally figured out a way to stop MJ"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC74bv46Z8&t=1h05m33s

This was Dumars' and Isiah's reaction to the Bulls taking 2-1 series lead in 1989 ECF after MJ hit GW over Rodman.. The last quote is from assistant coach Brendan Malone, who said that Isiah called at 3 am to talk about stopping MJ.

Reporter Pat O'Brien in 1989, confirming that Chuck Daly's championship defense was about stopping 1 guy via the "Jordan Rules":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2v0LOhjsJs&t=3m27s

Horace Grant:

"If it wasn't for MJ, I don't think I'd be sitting here right now. I mean, would've had a decent career, but for a leader like that to lead you to 3 championships..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aYOQVWSCY&t=14m44s

Scottie Pippen:

"It was the pressure. As the pressure grew, the pounding grew. I wasn't able to answer the bell."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC74bv46Z8&t=1h22m15s

This was Pippen in the Bad Boys documentary ADMITTING he the pressure caused him to disappear in 1990 ECF Game 7 - this cost the Bulls a trip to the Finals and the ring - (Bulls would've beaten Blazers - Blazers only took Pistons 6, while Bulls took then 7.

3ball
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Idk, mangs. When I read stuff like this it makes me think they did try to stop Pippen as well.

Rodman is talking about trash talking Pippen to mentally intimidate him because Pippen was weak mentally.. See the quotes in previous post - that's the consensus on Pippen.

The defensive focus and double-teaming involved in the "Jordan Rules" had nothing to do with Pippen.. The tactics were never called the "Pippen Rules"... Pippen was never a factor, so focusing defensive attention on Pippen would be dumb - against the Pistons, Pippen averaged:

1988 ECSF: 9 ppg on 42%
1989 ECF:. 10 ppg on 40%

Then he had the epic choke in Game 7 of 1990 ECF, which cost the Bulls their first championship - they would've beaten the Blazers in the Finals since the Pistons beat the Blazers in 6, but needed 7 and Pippen choke to beat Bulls.

Straight_Ballin
10-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Just checked in only to see Jordan fam winning as usual.

http://i.imgur.com/vvLM2Oe.gif

ClipperRevival
03-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Isiah Thomas, one of the GOAT leaders and killers ever. Of course the advanced stat geeks that never picked up a bball will say he's overrated, but guys who actually played and competed at a high level and know that the human element is something that can't be grasped unless if you actually played, will realize his value. The only small, PG ever to win 2 titles as "the man" in the most top heavy era ever for top tier teams.

ClipperRevival
05-21-2016, 11:40 PM
This era is weak. Flopping is a joke. Flagrant 1s are a joke. If you grew up when I did, you just KNOW this.