PDA

View Full Version : I'm jealous of NFL fans, they have a meaningful regular season to enjoy

tmacattack33
10-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I'm a lifelong football and basketball fan, but i love the game of basketball more.

However, I can't ever really get excited about NBA ball until the playoffs start in late April.

The opening week of the NBA is fun, but after that initial excitement is gone your enthusiasm is quickly gone as you realize how meaningless each game is.

The regular season is freakin' 82 games long so each game has a whopping 1/82nd of an effect on playoff seeds. To make matters worse, freakin' 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs and there are no byes rewarded to teams in the playoffs.

Even players have admitted to coasting through the regular season, and it is even becoming common for coaches to rest star players for no reason in the regular season.

The regular season will never be shortened due to the NBA's profits on selling tickets for 82 games per team per year, but man, a 40 game regular season with only 6 teams making the playoffs and the top 2 seeds getting rewarded with first round byes in the playoffs would be amazing.

One can dream. Until then, I'm basically a football fan from September to February, and then an NBA fan for the two months of playoffs ball.

BigNBAfan
10-04-2015, 08:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EKxFB5A.gif

Rocketswin2013
10-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Much better than having a fluky postseason like the NFL though.

Jameerthefear
10-04-2015, 08:37 PM
OP is a f*ggot

FKAri
10-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Ignoring finances and other logistics of it all, ideally I would want the NBA season/playoffs to be shorter and the football season/playoffs to be a bit longer.

NBA is painfully long and tedious while the NFL is too "any given Sunday".

Richesly
10-04-2015, 08:41 PM
NFL playoffs are really unreliable though. Shouldn't be decided off 1 game.

T_L_P
10-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Nah, any semi-serious injury to a star would likely end a team's season if it were only 40 games. It's not like the NFL where it's "next man up". A great player can win games for a basketball team (mainly because it's only ten on the court at any given time).

I love pretty much everything about the way the NBA is designed (not counting certain on-court practices like flopping). The stars are generally happy, the league has a global image because it isn't marketing a ton of thugs, guaranteed contracts make things less cut-throat and forces teams to make smart decisions.

Perhaps 15 less games would be slightly better for the product, but I guarantee it would just cause problems with the players and owners, so I'm not for it.

Plus, if you are really dedicated to your team, watching them play for 82 games isn't a painful experience at all.

Richesly
10-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Nah, any semi-serious injury to a star would likely end a team's season if it were only 40 games. It's not like the NFL where it's "next man up". A great player can win games for a basketball team (mainly because it's only ten on the court at any given time).

I love pretty much everything about the way the NBA is designed (not counting certain on-court practices like flopping). The stars are generally happy, the league has a global image because it isn't marketing a ton of thugs, guaranteed contracts make things less cut-throat and forces teams to make smart decisions.

Perhaps 15 less games would be slightly better for the product, but I guarantee it would just cause problems with the players and owners, so I'm not for it.

Plus, if you are really dedicated to your team, watching them play for 82 games isn't a painful experience at all.

I watch every game, and I enjoy it like it's a playoff game so what you are saying is true.

62 games would be a better schedule.

Jameerthefear
10-04-2015, 08:52 PM

this. i watch around 75+ Magic games a year. I never miss a game unless I have to. i enjoy every single one of them

BlueandGold
10-04-2015, 08:53 PM
82 season way too long

ralph_i_el
10-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Enjoy commercial-ball plebeians

outbreak
10-04-2015, 10:15 PM
who cares, the nfl is one of the least interesting sports which is reflected by how embarrassinly poor it does outside the US

Richesly
10-04-2015, 10:29 PM
who cares, the nfl is one of the least interesting sports which is reflected by how embarrassinly poor it does outside the US

It's not popular outside the U.S because it hasn't spreaded outside the U.S.

Heavincent
10-04-2015, 10:37 PM
I don't really mind the long season. I like coming home from work every night to watch the games on league pass. Not all the games are super meaningful, but it's always fun to watch 2 good teams go at it.

MJ(Mean John)
10-05-2015, 12:33 AM

Crazy, it's to each their own.

Football is boring if you don't know the rules well, or know the teams.

Speaking as a 25 year old who has been a diehard basketball fan since I was about 5 years old. That's 20 years in the sport. I used to (Didn't work or take school seriously) so I would watch basketball, and watched EVERY laker game, EVERY Clipper game, and EVERY televised game that was on ESPN, NBC, ABC, TNT, Telemundo, etc. whatever. I made it my mission, to go ahead and find the schedule of televised games.

I always watched NFL games, but casually. (I'm a raiders fan, so maybe thats why I wasn't totally committed) I think that as the NBA died down, and I felt like guys didn't necessarily care about each individual game, play, etc and I felt like players were "too cool" for regular season games, that the NFL started to really attract me. I mean, in the NFL, guys are playing their asses off.

It's a teams Offense vs. the other teams Defense. So, the offense wants to score while the defense is making its mission to stop you from scoring. then they switch sides. A guy is ONLY committed to one goal. Either score or stop you from scoring. Every play, every single down, is important. You know how bad an offense doesn't want to go 3 and out? Conversely, you know how bad a defense is trying to get an offense to Punt? Guys are playing through LEGIT injuries. Guys are playing (in some cases) playing with broken bones, fractures, torn ligaments, etc. The intensity is a whole different level.

in the NFL, teams care because EACH game is work 12.5% of your season. The NFL is Not for long. Forget that in almost each game you see a season ending or even sometimes career ending injury, guys are losing jobs every other game. Whether it be a coach, gm, or staff or player. Whether a starter, back up, or even making the roster. Guys are not playing for fun, playing for a game. guys are playing for life. Guys are playing for respect. Every single play. That's why, I love it.

I can tell you that the NBA isn't what it used to be. I watch the NFL religiously. I love football. it shits on the NBA. and i would absolutely love if guys in the NBA played with the intensity and love that the guys in the NFL played with. It would be awesome. or, to go back to 90's basketball. Sadly, it's only getting worse.

Before, I really felt like MOST* guys would play every single minute and play, like it was their last. Like, basketball did not feel like a "game". It felt like I could feel how much these guys "LOVED" the game and didn't see it as a game, but they saw it as life. They saw it as a career, they showed passion, they loved it and played EVERY moment and as a viewer, you could really see that guys were giving their all.

Fast forward to 2015, I don't know if it's because of social media, or because guys are more aware of how they are perceived by the outside world, but it no longer feels like guys are 100% playing their hardest every single game, moment.

Feels much more like "oh well. play it safe, take a fw games off. it doesn't matter. there is 82 games. We only need to win x amount to win and get to the playoffs. Why kill yourself?"

And it really does feel like a "game". It feels like a small court, and guys will take time off, and not really play through injuries. If a team is down, 15 minutes, with 5 minutes to go, half the guys have called it a day. The other half, will try and see that everyone else is... seems they are "too cool" to try their hardest. They don't want to look like the jackass that is going 100 when everyone else has clocked out, waiting for the game to end.

Guys like LeBron, Kyrie, Durant, etc. Think about the stars in today's game. It's like "hey lets team up and we can coast during the season. Lets just try our asses off when we need to". I FEEL like teams and players are not taking the games PERSONAL. They're are borderline nonchalant, and treating it as a "game". who cares if we lose. Are there exceptions? sure. But for the most part, just think about it. I feel games are starting to lose their value.

It wasn't like when the Bulls won 72. Man, teams were trying to beat these guys and it did NOT matter if the games were televised or not. MJ, Pippen, and Co. were trying to beat EVERY team, and EVERY player like if the other dudes were talking about their momma's. lol. I mean, think about it. You think Ewing wanted to lose to the Bulls? You thnk Magic wanted to lose to the Bulls? you think John Starks, Barkley, Shaq, or any relative, hell any NBA player wanted to lose? NO.

These guys put up a fight. Every team, player, Every game. Every game was meaningful. Guys were not missing time to rest. Guys were not missing games or taking plays off, guys were not all friends and kissing and making up.

MJ was not trying to play with Barkley and Magic. He was trying to kill them.

Every game, every play. Everything was personal.

And many times, games that had good match ups, there was fights. There wasn't guys taking things all nonchalant. They didn't care about the outside world, what shoes somebody is wearing, is Jay Z at the game? are they going to this event and that event, are they talking to so and so, are they on twitter, or the gram.

No. I think around... I want to say early 2000's. That is when I feel like things started to change. I think, if you go back, you still had a lot of players that played with that intensity. The not really caring about hurting other peoples feelings. Worried about what the public thought. Guys just played hard and tried to kick your ass on the court.

We had guys like Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, VC, etc. Guys that wanted to be the best payer in the L. Guys that took games personal.

What I think killed the game is (NOT in any order)

- Social Media

- Pistons Pacers Brawl- (as a result, you can't touch a guy without a foul call)

- Guys teaming up and "shortcutting" to being elite teams

- Guys too worried about what they're wearing before or after the game. Wearking backpacks and glasses without lenses. Wearing stupid shirts, and pants, with stupid haircuts (looking at you westbrook and DWade)

Guys don't care about each individual game. Why? it only has a small impact on the playoffs. Not like before.

TL;DR:

NBA is dying down. Guy's now treat it as a "game". Want to have fun. Teaming up with "Friends". Don't want to get anyone mad. Don't take it personal. Don't take the intensity and care about each individual game.

Lakers Legend#32
10-05-2015, 02:31 AM
The NBA regular season is a long, joyless slog

bdreason
10-05-2015, 04:12 AM
Western Conference will be decided by a handful of games. Did you miss last year? Last game of the regular season may have cost the Spurs the title.

Vaniiiia
10-05-2015, 04:43 AM
TL;DR:

NBA is dying down. Guy's now treat it as a "game". Want to have fun. Teaming up with "Friends". Don't want to get anyone mad. Don't take it personal. Don't take the intensity and care about each individual game.
You're delusional.

All those words to say.... that? :oldlol:

It's not remotely true. Do you even watch the NBA?

90sgoat
10-05-2015, 04:49 AM

Speaking as a 25 year old who has been a diehard basketball fan since I was about 5 years old. That's 20 years in the sport. I used to (Didn't work or take school seriously) so I would watch basketball, and watched EVERY laker game, EVERY Clipper game, and EVERY televised game that was on ESPN, NBC, ABC, TNT, Telemundo, etc. whatever. I made it my mission, to go ahead and find the schedule of televised games.

I always watched NFL games, but casually. (I'm a raiders fan, so maybe thats why I wasn't totally committed) I think that as the NBA died down, and I felt like guys didn't necessarily care about each individual game, play, etc and I felt like players were "too cool" for regular season games, that the NFL started to really attract me. I mean, in the NFL, guys are playing their asses off.

It's a teams Offense vs. the other teams Defense. So, the offense wants to score while the defense is making its mission to stop you from scoring. then they switch sides. A guy is ONLY committed to one goal. Either score or stop you from scoring. Every play, every single down, is important. You know how bad an offense doesn't want to go 3 and out? Conversely, you know how bad a defense is trying to get an offense to Punt? Guys are playing through LEGIT injuries. Guys are playing (in some cases) playing with broken bones, fractures, torn ligaments, etc. The intensity is a whole different level.

in the NFL, teams care because EACH game is work 12.5% of your season. The NFL is Not for long. Forget that in almost each game you see a season ending or even sometimes career ending injury, guys are losing jobs every other game. Whether it be a coach, gm, or staff or player. Whether a starter, back up, or even making the roster. Guys are not playing for fun, playing for a game. guys are playing for life. Guys are playing for respect. Every single play. That's why, I love it.

I can tell you that the NBA isn't what it used to be. I watch the NFL religiously. I love football. it shits on the NBA. and i would absolutely love if guys in the NBA played with the intensity and love that the guys in the NFL played with. It would be awesome. or, to go back to 90's basketball. Sadly, it's only getting worse.

Before, I really felt like MOST* guys would play every single minute and play, like it was their last. Like, basketball did not feel like a "game". It felt like I could feel how much these guys "LOVED" the game and didn't see it as a game, but they saw it as life. They saw it as a career, they showed passion, they loved it and played EVERY moment and as a viewer, you could really see that guys were giving their all.

Fast forward to 2015, I don't know if it's because of social media, or because guys are more aware of how they are perceived by the outside world, but it no longer feels like guys are 100% playing their hardest every single game, moment.

Feels much more like "oh well. play it safe, take a fw games off. it doesn't matter. there is 82 games. We only need to win x amount to win and get to the playoffs. Why kill yourself?"

And it really does feel like a "game". It feels like a small court, and guys will take time off, and not really play through injuries. If a team is down, 15 minutes, with 5 minutes to go, half the guys have called it a day. The other half, will try and see that everyone else is... seems they are "too cool" to try their hardest. They don't want to look like the jackass that is going 100 when everyone else has clocked out, waiting for the game to end.

Guys like LeBron, Kyrie, Durant, etc. Think about the stars in today's game. It's like "hey lets team up and we can coast during the season. Lets just try our asses off when we need to". I FEEL like teams and players are not taking the games PERSONAL. They're are borderline nonchalant, and treating it as a "game". who cares if we lose. Are there exceptions? sure. But for the most part, just think about it. I feel games are starting to lose their value.

It wasn't like when the Bulls won 72. Man, teams were trying to beat these guys and it did NOT matter if the games were televised or not. MJ, Pippen, and Co. were trying to beat EVERY team, and EVERY player like if the other dudes were talking about their momma's. lol. I mean, think about it. You think Ewing wanted to lose to the Bulls? You thnk Magic wanted to lose to the Bulls? you think John Starks, Barkley, Shaq, or any relative, hell any NBA player wanted to lose? NO.

These guys put up a fight. Every team, player, Every game. Every game was meaningful. Guys were not missing time to rest. Guys were not missing games or taking plays off, guys were not all friends and kissing and making up.

And many times, games that had good match ups, there was fights. There wasn't guys taking things all nonchalant. They didn't care about the outside world, what shoes somebody is wearing, is Jay Z at the game? are they going to this event and that event, are they talking to so and so, are they on twitter, or the gram.

No. I think around... I want to say early 2000's. That is when I feel like things started to change. I think, if you go back, you still had a lot of players that played with that intensity. The not really caring about hurting other peoples feelings. Worried about what the public thought. Guys just played hard and tried to kick your ass on the court.

We had guys like Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, VC, etc. Guys that wanted to be the best payer in the L. Guys that took games personal.

- Social Media

- Pistons Pacers Brawl- (as a result, you can't touch a guy without a foul call)

- Guys too worried about what they're wearing before or after the game. Wearking backpacks and glasses without lenses. Wearing stupid shirts, and pants, with stupid haircuts (looking at you westbrook and DWade)

Guys don't care about each individual game. Why? it only has a small impact on the playoffs. Not like before.

TL;DR:

Poast of the month brah.

Great stuff.

You're so right, games used to mean something back in the day, nowadays everyone agrees to not play hard.

Bunch of ***** ass punks. Overpaid and overrated.

Lebron23
10-05-2015, 04:56 AM
You're delusional.

All those words to say.... that? :oldlol:

It's not remotely true. Do you even watch the NBA?

He never watched the NBA since Oldbe got injured.

Lebron23
10-05-2015, 05:07 AM
And they only played 16 games in the NFL. The NBA played 82 games in 9 months.

JohnnySic
10-05-2015, 09:05 AM
The NBA regular season is plenty meaningful. Every game counts. Could be the difference for getting hca in a series, or few spots higher in the lottery.

miles berg
10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
The NBA just lacks talent and intensity. The 80s are over and gone and the league has changed tremendously since then.

But it is a cycle and someday soon talent will come back around and the league will be fun again.

T_L_P
10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
The NBA just lacks talent and intensity. The 80s are over and gone and the league has changed tremendously since then.

But it is a cycle and someday soon talent will come back around and the league will be fun again.

Watch an 80s game and see what kind of 'intensity' they had on defense.

aj1987
10-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Watch an 80s game and see what kind of 'intensity' they had on defense.
:roll: :roll:

:applause:

People who complain about the lack of talent are ****ing idiots. Flopping and stuff like that, I can understand, but talent? :facepalm

Spurs5Rings2014
10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Western Conference will be decided by a handful of games. Did you miss last year? Last game of the regular season may have cost the Spurs the title.

:cry:

HurricaneKid
10-05-2015, 12:19 PM

- Social Media

TL;DR:

Man. You should have gone to math class ONCE.

The NFL is ridiculous. Guys literally DIE because they play the game and the games are decided on complete BS. The Ravens won a SB because they tackled a WR with the ball in the air on the last play. The Pats won the SB last year because the Seahawks threw the ball when they had no reason to do so on the last play.

You win in the NBA because you are the better team. Sometimes it is really close and we get a fantastic series like in 13.

But if you think the NBA is dying you are a dolt and haven't paid attention to anything.

ImKobe
10-05-2015, 12:26 PM
NFL season is so damn short though, most fans see their team play 16-17 games a year, yeah the games have more pressure and they are usually a lot closer and more exciting in 4th quarters than the NBA, but with the season being so short, one injury can really kill your season.

I think the NFL is more exciting but I enjoy having this many NBA games to watch ever year.

ralph_i_el
10-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Watching a football game can be really tedious. Sure the action is great, but it only makes up a very small part of the broadcast.