PDA

View Full Version : ugh 82 game season

BlueandGold
10-05-2015, 10:57 AM
it's a problem.

thoughts?

WayOfWade
10-05-2015, 11:00 AM
It depends on the person. I absolutely love basketball in almost any way shape or form (except for the WNBA), so 82 games for me is fantastic seeing as I get to watch my favorite team 82 times in a 4-5 month span

Sakkreth
10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
It depends on the person. I absolutely love basketball in almost any way shape or form (except for the WNBA), so 82 games for me is fantastic seeing as I get to watch my favorite team 82 times in a 4-5 month span

I'd rather watch less games but more real ones.

OldSchoolBBall
10-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Why is it such a big deal now, when teams have private jets, all sorts of personal staff, and the best accommodations, when no one (players or fans) ever complained about it for the previous 40 years?

FreezingTsmoove
10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
I dont get how you can hate an 82 game season when you went as far as to join a basketball forum online. Do you actually like basketball op?

Legends66NBA7
10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
it's a problem.

thoughts?

Not a problem for me. More basketball, the better it is for all kinds of fans.

All Net
10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Great for fans, bad for players

BlueandGold
10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
I think it's bad for both sides because the playoffs are what actually builds a fan-base to begin with. Let's be honest most of our love for the game comes in the playoffs, not the regular season. Shortening the season will make the playoffs more exciting, will save the bodies of the players till then as well as making each regular season game that much more meaningful for the fans.

Legends66NBA7
10-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I think it's bad for both sides because the playoffs are what actually builds a fan-base to begin with. Let's be honest most of our love for the game comes in the playoffs, not the regular season.

This describes bandwagon fans more. Diehard fans appreciate and stick through the tough times, good and bad of the team, so they love the road trips/homestands during the regular season and playoffs too.

Yes, the playoffs are more important and it's where fan bases come together but it really starts in the RS first.

Shortening the season will make the playoffs more exciting, will save the bodies of the players till then as well as making each regular season game that much more meaningful for the fans.

NBA Front office and the owners wouldn't do it. They wouldn't want to lose the extra revenue.

ImKobe
10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
82 is fair enough IMO and I love it this way. A ton of games to watch every other night, season is long enough so that players can heal from injuries (look how guys in the NFL miss half a season over a 8 week injury and pretty much kill their teams hopes a la Cowboys with Romo and Dez injury), great for fans, obviously.

If anything, the first round needs to be reduced back to 5 games in the POs, 2 months is too long for the POs.

MP.Trey
10-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I agree it's a problem. Should be longer.

Asiantastic
10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
It's been 82 games for as long as I can remember, so no, it's not a problem. I personally don't think that the NBA should be adjusting the amount of regular season games just because NBA players play an uptempo game nowadays. Players should play according to the rules set for them, not the other way around. It's basically their fault if they're tiring themselves out and becoming more injured.

chips93
10-05-2015, 11:55 AM
NBA Front office and the owners wouldn't do it. They wouldn't want to lose the extra revenue.

not just owners, but players would make less money too.

kurple
10-05-2015, 12:57 PM
well the NBA already has a too long offseason..

i dont get a single reason to why 82 games is too long. Its not like the athletes cant do it. theyve done it for a while now

Do ISHers even like basketball? or is it all about bragging right?

kurple
10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Soccer and Hockey both have longer seasons.. Are NBA players inferior athletes?

Levity
10-05-2015, 12:59 PM
The NBA season does grow tiring after a while, but i love it and so does the fantasy basketball fanatic in me.

senelcoolidge
10-05-2015, 01:00 PM
82 games is great. Why keep making everything easier for the players? It's supposed to be a long grueling season. If you're a real fan you should love having so many games. They should make the first round of the playoffs best of 5 instead.

sd3035
10-05-2015, 01:00 PM
should be a hundred games

Levity
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
I think it's bad for both sides because the playoffs are what actually builds a fan-base to begin with. Let's be honest most of our love for the game comes in the playoffs, not the regular season. Shortening the season will make the playoffs more exciting, will save the bodies of the players till then as well as making each regular season game that much more meaningful for the fans.

cant say i agree.

Legends66NBA7
10-05-2015, 01:03 PM
well the NBA already has a too long offseason..

i dont get a single reason to why 82 games is too long. Its not like the athletes cant do it. theyve done it for a while now

Do ISHers even like basketball? or is it all about bragging right?

OP is in the minority, though.

In this thread alone posters are vocal about wanting the 82 games schedule to stay, if not add more.

Kobe_6/8
10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
I have no problems with the 82 game season. It's been that way for decades, and any player who doesn't like it is beta as ****.

mistergreens
10-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I thought the 66-game schedule that started on Christmas Day a couple years ago was perfect.

Levity
10-05-2015, 01:31 PM
I thought the 66-game schedule that started on Christmas Day a couple years ago was perfect.

No one wants to wait 6 months for the NBA to come back after the finals. Hell, the regular season ends in april. that'd be an 8 month off season for teams that dont make the PO's

Rocketswin2013
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM
I love it.

BlueandGold
10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
This describes bandwagon fans more. Diehard fans appreciate and stick through the tough times, good and bad of the team, so they love the road trips/homestands during the regular season and playoffs too.

Yes, the playoffs are more important and it's where fan bases come together but it really starts in the RS first.

No one can argue my loyalty to the Lakers. Furthermore true fans of the game recognize when there is a problem in the league (such as flopping) and do things to address it in order to make the game better. GTFO with this "bandwagon fan" type of BS. I've been on this forum longer than most.

AnaheimLakers24
10-07-2015, 03:46 PM
No its not. Just cause melo sucks and wont win more than 4 games, doesnt mean its to much

FKAri
10-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Isn't the NBPA against a shorter season?

lil jahlil
10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
82 games should only be a problem for casual fans. I appreciate each game.

thefatmiral
10-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Yeah its a little rough. Especially on on guys who have to carry their team on both sides . But if your team is stacked minutes can be managed. Also preferred the best of 5 in the first round.

Spurs m8
10-08-2015, 12:36 AM
Yeah, i hate that the sport I love is played at the highest level every day, i'd rather just watch it once a week for a few months

BlueandGold
10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Yeah its a little rough. Especially on on guys who have to carry their team on both sides . But if your team is stacked minutes can be managed. Also preferred the best of 5 in the first round.
everything in moderation, would you rather have your best players injured during the playoffs and finals? Look at what happened to cleveland.

Doranku
10-08-2015, 04:14 PM
nvm

Legends66NBA7
10-08-2015, 04:18 PM
No one can argue my loyalty to the Lakers. Furthermore true fans of the game recognize when there is a problem in the league (such as flopping) and do things to address it in order to make the game better. GTFO with this "bandwagon fan" type of BS. I've been on this forum longer than most.

Huh ?

I wasn't questioning your loyalty to the Lakers, nor does being on forum longer mean anything. I'm literally talking about casual fans or young fans who just became fans of the league. They wouldn't want less games and fans who have watched the league far longer may or may not want less games. Like everything that is a business, it comes down to money and the suits aren't going to do anything that would give them a loss.

And true fans would appreciate any form of evolution to the game. If not, they can just not watch it anymore.

Flopping has always been in the league:http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306278

It just happens that more players try to do it now because it's a smart play for their team. It's like soccer, the refs give you the call and it's a huge factor on how other teams defend you.