PDA

View Full Version : Potential Building Blocks in Portland

chips93
10-05-2015, 04:18 PM
The trailblazers easily had the worst off season of any team in the nba, losing 4 starters, including an all-star in aldridge.

But now they have to move on, and they have a few interesting young players, who should get tons of playing time to develop. Could any of these young guys turn into worthwhile pieces for the blazers?

Vonleh has nice tools, hes long, athletic, he hit jumpers in college, but his prodution wasnt great, then in charlotte, he really never got going after getting injured before training camp. He's only 20 years old though, and he has some potential. I think he could be a solid role player starter, who knocks down jumpers, and blocks some shots, never a go-to guy though.

CJ McCollum is another interesting young player. He played great in the playoffs, and he'll play more with the ball in his hands as a pg when lillard sits this year. He's small, but he can get buckets.

Its gonna be a rough year for portland, but by season's end do you think there'll be any silver linings?

Jailblazers7
10-05-2015, 04:21 PM
CJ seems like he could be a really nice 6th man in the future but that seems to be his best fit. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Vonleh to give a guess at his development. I could see him end up being a poor man's Chris Bosh but could also see him being out of the league in 4 years.

poido123
10-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Vonleh and McCollum are going to be serious ballers in this league.

I have no doubts about that.

Portland did the right thing and retooled. Why hang onto a good team that won't win championships?

ralph_i_el
10-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Their best building block is their next 1st round pick

chips93
10-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Portland did the right thing and retooled. Why hang onto a good team that won't win championships?

that is an interesting question, and american sports fans definitely have a unique perspective on it.

personally, i find just getting to watch a fun, competent team 82 times a year (plus playoffs) is better than watching a terrible team that has some small chance to win a title years and years down the road.

the blazers in the last couple years were really enjoyable to watch, with lots of off-ball movement, among the best in the league imo, and flowing motion plays. its a shame they fell apart so dramatically without ever making a real run.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Their silver lining is that they will know what they got with their younger players. Everyone's going to be thrown in the fire we'll see what they can actually do. I think McCollum, Davis, Leonard and Plumlee are all potentially good rotational players on a playoff team. Now is the time to see if they are what some think they are, possibly more, or not worth building forward with.

Also Connaughton is basically Bird with MJ's athleticism. Don't be surprised if he wins the MVP in three years, retires early to pursue his baseball career, then wins the cy young, then retires early, and runs for the 2024 presidential election.

poido123
10-05-2015, 05:18 PM
that is an interesting question, and american sports fans definitely have a unique perspective on it.

personally, i find just getting to watch a fun, competent team 82 times a year (plus playoffs) is better than watching a terrible team that has some small chance to win a title years and years down the road.

the blazers in the last couple years were really enjoyable to watch, with lots of off-ball movement, among the best in the league imo, and flowing motion plays. its a shame they fell apart so dramatically without ever making a real run.

If you're in the west, there's all likelyhood that your team either builds young or retools. You can hang for 2nd round exits but that is counterproductive.

Either build young along with draft picks or remain a contender. In between is accepting mediocrity

chips93
10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
If you're in the west, there's all likelyhood that your team either builds young or retools. You can hang for 2nd round exits but that is counterproductive.

Either build young along with draft picks or remain a contender. In between is accepting mediocrity

my point is that a fun mediocre team is better in many cases than a terrible team that has an unrealistic aspiration of contention years and years from now.

would you rather have been a hawks fan of a pistons fan for the past 4 years?

Clifton
10-06-2015, 05:55 AM
I don't agree that the Blazers couldn't have won a championship with what they had. If they could have signed the kind of guys the Clippers signed last off-season, they would be in the championship hunt.

Their problem was injuries and their best player wanting to move back to Texas.

But take last year's roster, keep it healthy, add Lance, Josh Smith, and Hibbert? That could win a title.

With what they're doing now I have no reason to think they will get anywhere near the finals in the next 10 years. They have nothing.

Gileraracer
10-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Damian Lillard is the most overrated player in the NBA. Paying him the money he gets now is almost as stupid as Lakers paying Kobe 25mil :facepalm