PDA

View Full Version : Favorite championship NOT won by your favorite team?

Naero
10-05-2015, 08:14 PM
For true fans of any team, we feel merciless against any match-up that threatens the aspirations of our teams. While we may enjoy watching other teams play or revere some of their players to point where their own success isn't an unwelcome sight, that fondness is suspended whenever they're matched-up against our team.

However, whenever our team is mathematically out of the hunt for the title, it's not uncommon for even the more devoted fans to look for consolatory aftereffects—that is, the next-most optimal outcome.

More retributive fans may hope for their team's eliminators to be avenged by a later opponent, whereas the less antagonistic fans may hope for damage control in the sense that their team lost to the eventual champions; we may also root for whichever players on other teams that we want to see succeed the most.

Regardless of where we're predisposed, we most likely have varying levels of predilections for other teams' chances and thus stronger gratification for other teams than others.

Aside from your own favorite team, which team were you the happiest for when they won a championship?

My own favorite:

The 2011 Dallas Mavericks.

It's the team that thwarted my Lakers' chance for a three-peat—which we all knew was the last chance for Kobe to lead his team to the feat in his career—and ended the Phil Jackson era on a sour note. Once again, my Lakers failed to take a loss honorably, as they not only succumbed to another emphatic blowout in an elimination game; two of its players, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom, classlessly committed frustration-driven flagrant fouls, which opened up the floodgates for revilement against this once-dynastic franchise.

As embittering as the loss was to me, I once again philosophized the platitudinous but consolatory adage: "Everything happens for a reason." The only chain of events that'd require a Lakers loss in the fold was for their eliminators—the Mavericks team—to go on to win it all themselves.

And there were more than enough positive reasons to find from it.

This is a Mavericks team that comprised a glut of ringless veterans who were possibly playing for their last plausible chance to win one:

Dirk Nowitzki - easily the greatest Germanic player of all time, and his devastation over his then-failure to have won a ring up to that point in his career was the most transparent.

After squandering a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA Finals to land the franchise its first ring, the road to redemption for the then-32-year-old has been a rocky one up to that juncture.

He was on the agonizing end of what's considered the biggest first-round upset in playoff history, having lost to the 8th-seeded Warriors after leading his team to the league-best record. Rather than availing from the home-court advantage his team clinched in later rounds, he would receive his MVP award that season in a press-conference room, lamenting over the fact that he was one of the rare MVP awardees that couldn't accept it in a pre-game ceremony in the second round.

In 2010, rather than expectedly matching up against the previous-year Lakers in the Western Conference Finals, his second-seeded team suffered another first-round upset, having lost to the seventh-seeded San Antonio Spurs in a similar sequential route as the Warriors series; the Mavericks lost home-court advantage in one of the opening-two home games, and they never regained it as the Spurs went on to win in Game 6.

Jason Terry:

The only remnant alongside Dirk to have experienced the devastating 2006 NBA Finals loss, the Jet had the same demons to slay as him.

The outspoken former Sixth Man of the Year awardee went as far as to imprint a championship-trophy tattoo, and the bold move was eventually dignified at the end of the season.

Jason Kidd:

Already established as one of the greatest Point Guards of all time, the Mavericks' then-starting Point Guard was on his last legs, and while it was clear that he no longer had the physical faculty to be the prime mover of a championship-caliber team, it wouldn't make a championship any less gratifying to such a selfless player.

After landing in New Jersey, he plunged the franchise into relevancy with a track record of deep playoff runs—including back-to-back NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003—but left that success empty-handed. In 2008, he rejoined the team that drafted him in the Dallas Mavericks, joining a syndicate of veterans that were also ring-deprived and hoping that their best chances weren't left in the rear-view mirror.

Peja Stojakovic:

Another ringless veteran. While many still respect him as a should-be champion after the controversially officiated Game 6 in the 2002 Western Conference Finals—a victory therein would've sent his team to the finals against a Nets team led by his Mavericks teammate in Jason Kidd—realists aren't going to treat a single game as a be-all, end-all determinant—especially as they had other games to overcome the Game 6-officiating, including a heartbreakingly lost Game 7 at home.

Regardless of one's stance on it, Stojakovic remained just as hungry for a championship. He even managed to return the favor to the Lakers franchise by hitting crucial three-pointers late in the stretch in a pivotal Game 3—a win that ensured a 3-0 win that virtually sealed the series, as far as history predicts—and he contributed to the exclamation-point win in Game 4 with 6-6 three-point-shooting in the onslaught.

Shawn Marion:

Another multiple-time All-Star who partook in his own championship-contention teams, having played as one of the better defenders on the D'Antoni-coached Phoenix Suns teams, he was another veteran eluded of championships.

All in all, the team reaffirmed that it was no fluke that they ended my team's three-peat quest; and while a Lakers three-peat obviously would've been my favorite end result, I would be lying if I stated that I'd feel bad if these Mavericks ended up ringless—which was more than a possibility, as the team itself did not even register a single playoff win since.

Honorable mention: 2014 San Antonio Spurs.

raprap
10-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Laker fan here, for me it's the 2013 Heat. Seeing LeBron leading the heat to the chip was amazing. Also game 6 and game 7 was :bowdown:

Akrazotile
10-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Laker fan here, for me it's the 2013 Heat. Seeing LeBron leading the heat to the chip was amazing. Also game 6 and game 7 was :bowdown:

Same here brother.

Die hard Laker fan til I die and my favorite titles will always be the ones Shaq and Pau led us to. But what Lebron did winning back to back titles with very suspect supporting casts just blew my mind. Cemented him as a top 3 GOAT.

GoatBoy
10-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Laker fan here.

Mine would definitely have to be the Heat winning in 06. Seeing Wade play at such a high level and having the perseverance to lead his team at such a young age is an amazing feat and best single performance I've witnessed in an NBA finals. Especially being down 0-2 and reeling off four straight victories, amazing!!

06 Wade :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

TheBigVeto
10-05-2015, 08:53 PM
The 2011 Mavs get my pick too.

Dirk had to overcome the 2006 rigging fiasco, the racists who said he couldn't win championship, evil commish who hated Germans, an up and coming HoFer in Kevin Durant and an all star team born from collusion. He responded superbly and slayed all those.

The youtube video 'Dirk destroying evil' has got to be the greatest basketball video on youtube.

G0ATbe
10-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Definitely 2011 for me. Most hilarious series i've ever seen hands down. All the role players having a buffet on LeBalds shitty D, and then the likes of JJ Barea putting the clamps on him on the other end.:roll:

outbreak
10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
In recent times 2011 mavs

dhsilv
10-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Well I was a HUGE fan of MJ and I'm a huge fan of Duncan and Manu, so that kinda makes this difficult. Never care for shaq, kobe, or lebron....Kobe being the only one of the 3 fun to watch play, but he was just such an ass and his fans are intolerable.

I'd WANT to go with 2006 heat, but the refs in the finals were inexcusable. That leaves a warriors team I don't like as much as i should, the pistons and the 2011 mavs as far as teams in my more adult years. I guess I was around enough for the rockets but no MJ taints that a bit.

I'm going with the Mavs by a hair just because I REALLY wanted Kidd to get a ring.

catch24
10-05-2015, 09:36 PM
2011 Mavs without question.

I hated the "villain role" LeBron & co. masqueraded so in-turn I vehemently rooted against them. Even against my boy Wade.

Watching Dirk and his troops lay the smackdown on Los Heat was a thing of beauty.

Bron later dropped that childish gimmick, balled hard, and finally broke through. He's earned my respect as a TRUE all-time great, and when its all said and done, more than likely a top 5 player all-time.

KembaWalker
10-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Bulls fan

2004 Pistons without a doubt, give em that D

smoovegittar
10-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Recently would be 2011 Mavs for me as well. Enjoyed watching Cuban's shenanigans, as well as the team.

miles berg
10-05-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm a Mavs fan. Will have to go with the '89 Pistons. Really loved that run and was rooting hard for them once they got Aguirre.

jbryan1984
10-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I would also have to say the 2011 Dallas team. It was special for many reasons. Mostly, LeBron had just left us and to see him lose in his first Miami stint was sweet. But, that Dallas team was full of some of my all time favorites like Dirk, Kidd and Peja. Nice to see them all get a chip.

Mr. Jabbar
10-05-2015, 10:23 PM
cavs fan here.

2010, kobe single handedly defeating a juggernaut defensive team. makes me jelly tbh

JT123
10-05-2015, 10:50 PM
cavs fan here.

2010, Pau single handedly defeating a juggernaut defensive team. makes me jelly tbh
:applause: Agreed brother

Straight_Ballin
10-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Bulls fan

2004 Pistons without a doubt, give em that D

Yep. Every other finals series pales in comparison. Lakers/Kings for honorable mention.

Cold soul
10-05-2015, 11:39 PM
2011 Mavericks

2006 Heat

DoctorP
10-05-2015, 11:58 PM
I liked seeing the Pistons upset the Lakers in 04

Angel Face
10-06-2015, 12:32 AM
2004 Pistons vs Lakers
1994 Rockets vs Knicks

TheMan
10-06-2015, 01:33 AM
2011 Mavs
2014 Spurs
2004 Pistons
2008 Celtics

BoutPractice
10-06-2015, 02:13 AM
2011 is my team to begin with, so I'm going to have to go with the 2014 Spurs.

I was also very excited about the 2008 Celtics - I always loved Boston, their defense and unselfish play were a thing of beauty, and watching the experiment of HOFers teaming up together succeed beyond all expectations was fascinating.

Superteams got a bad name because of Miami (in a hypocritical, hate-them-but-can't-get-our-eyes-off-of-them sort of way) but when they arrived on the scene it was a breath of fresh air... It meant superstars like Kevin Garnett no longer had to be stuck on an inferior team, as they tended to be in the 2000s (Kobe, TMac, Iverson...). Parity in the sense of Charlotte being just a little better at being mediocre at the expense of truly great teams tends to be better in theory than practice, and 08 was the perfect occasion to shake up the league.

Gileraracer
10-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Huge LeBron fan here but 2014 was my favorite.

Spurs whupped my boy Lebruns ass so hard he even left Miami :(

SCdac
10-06-2015, 12:16 PM
2004 Pistons...They beat up on the Lakers and put an emphasis on defense and team-ball under Larry Brown, before being runner up to my favorite championship team (SAS '05) and Finals series. I'm probably alone on this but I kinda miss the days when games were slow(er) paced and grind em out, defensive powerhouses going at it (feels a bit more offense-centric nowadays). the mid 2000s with the Wallace's, Duncan, Bowen, Artest, AK47, Garnett, Camby, Marion, Battier, etc. Even shaq was a great shot blocker. Loved watching the Pistons at the time, who much like the recent Mavs, Spurs, and GSW champs did a little bit of everything and shared the ball really well. in 06, four of their starters made the AS team (Billups, Rip, Sheed, and Big Ben), but they lost in the po's to the Heat, while Wade and Shaq averaged 27 and 22 ppg respectively.

sdot_thadon
10-06-2015, 12:53 PM
06 heat, I didn't see that coming.

ScalsFan21
10-06-2015, 04:38 PM
As a self-admitted LeBron nut-rider, 2012 and 2013 both are up there for me on this topic. His game-sealing jumper in Game 7 is probably the most clutch individual moment by a superstar in the last decade, but since they were ahead by 2 it will never get its due.

But I have to go with the 2004 Pistons as well. I love that team and wanted them to repeat so badly. I still feel like they could have accomplished more during their 3-year window with both Wallaces.

2005, they got somewhat of a lucky break when Wade got hurt late in the ECF (missing Game 6 altogether, and being hobbled in Game 7 at home), then lost the finals pretty much based on a blown coverage from Sheed and all-time great play from Ginobili. So by contrast, the '05 Pistons and '11 Heat finals losses are the two title outcomes that piss me off the most (outside of my Nets of course...).

Then the year after, Detroit dominates the regular season (started something like 35-5) and get pretty decisively beaten by Miami, which only added to the questions surrounding the reason they were able to pull off the win against the '05 Heat, which when healthy might have been the greatest Heat team of all time top to bottom, Shaq with a legit MVP level season, Eddie Jones etc.

WorldWarriors
10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
2006 Heat. Had been following D-Wade when he showed out in the playoffs as a rookie. Got dicey for a minute but the Heat came through.

Celtics Championship. Was happy for Pierce, KG and Allen.
Dallas Championship. Happy for Dirk and Co.
Pistons over Lakers. Astonishing to see teamwork take down a team full of Hall of Famers.

Going way back.

Magic's rookie season win.
Dr. J finally getting his ring sweeping the Lakers.
All 6 of MJ's.
Rockets 2 with Hakeem

I enjoy the game of basketball and it's always great come playoff time. Love it all.

Ariza4three
10-06-2015, 05:09 PM
2008 Celtics is most recent

code green
10-06-2015, 05:20 PM
2014 Spurs.

I still haven't gotten over LeBrons's monster game 6 against us in 2012. **** LeBron.

JohnnySic
10-08-2015, 03:56 PM
'04 Pistons - ended Shaq/Kobe
'14 Spurs - ended Heatles
'94 and '95 Rockets - Knicks and Magic not likeable
'93 Bulls - Suns team was really hyped