PDA

View Full Version : Karl Malone or charles barkley?

GIF REACTION
10-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm taking Karl.

feyki
10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Peak - Barkley

Career - Draw

Longevity - Karl

GIF REACTION
10-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Peak - Malone

Career - Malone

Longevity - Malone

lil jahlil
10-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Peak - Barkley

Career - Draw

Longevity - Karl

Peak - Barkley

Career - Karl

Longevity - Karl

My favorite of the 2 is Barkley.

SHAQisGOAT
10-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Got Malone higher on my all-time list but in terms of peak Chuck has the edge.

Round Mound
10-07-2015, 11:51 PM
1985-95 Barkley
1996-00 Malone

GIF REACTION
10-07-2015, 11:54 PM
1985-95 Barkley
1996-00 Malone
Malone was better than Barkley in a few of the years from 85-95

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Peak - Malone

Career - Malone

Longevity - Malone
Literally no one who watched both Chuck and Karl play consider Karl to have the better peak. Barkley was clearly more dominant but Karls defensive edge makes it closer. Peak Chuck has an argument for GOAT offensive PF only one on his level is Dirk whos prolly better for peak on offense

Round Mound
10-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Malone was better than Barkley in a few of the years from 85-95

Raw Stats Are Close But Broken Down Stats PER; EFF; +/- etc Barkley Clearly Has The Edge Till The 95-96 season.

Barkley Was Better Than Malone In More Areas, Than Malone Was Better At.

GIF REACTION
10-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Also Malone's best season > Barkley's best season

Round Mound
10-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Also Malone's best season > Barkley's best season

:no: Nope. Malone Scored More Because He Took like 6-7 FGAs PG More and He Scored Much Less Efficient. Play-Off Numbers? Malone is a 46% FG Shooter and Thats With Stockton Designing 70% Of His Offensive Play.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Barkley.

Gileraracer
10-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Malone all day every day.

H2H confirms that

Round Mound
10-08-2015, 03:14 AM
Malone all day every day.

H2H confirms that

From 1985 to 1996 Head To Head (11 Years or Over 70% of Their Meetings). Barkley has edge statistcally in Scoring Per FGAs Taken (Scoring is 24.8 PPG for Malone and 22.8 PPG For Barkley With Malone Taken Way For FGAs PG and FG% is Barkley 51% Malone 49% BTW), Higher FG%, Way Higher 2-Point by 5% Maring (In The Paint), Rebounding, Assists and Steals:

Also Barkley Has A Higher PER, EFF, Win Share Per 48 Min, Plus/Minus, Diferential Scoring (Who Are Shot Jackers And Who Arent) etc.

Barkley`s Drop Off Only Comes In Less Than 30% of Their H2Hs From 1996 To 2000 = That Is, When Barkley Was A 3rd Option in Houston, Was Overweight, Was Back Injured, Was Knee Injured and Pretty Much A Role Player.

Barkley > Malone ages 21-32

Malone > Barkley ages 33-37.

BARKLEY > Stockton-To Malone Sloan System.

feyki
10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Literally no one who watched both Chuck and Karl play consider Karl to have the better peak. Barkley was clearly more dominant but Karls defensive edge makes it closer. Peak Chuck has an argument for GOAT offensive PF only one on his level is Dirk whos prolly better for peak on offense

True.

Barkley's prime nearly on young Jordan level , Karl's prime nearly on old Jordan level .

89-94 Barkley is two time mvp (Barkley had more 1th place votes than Magic , and then Barkley is 89-90 mvp for me and more tougher era than Karl's mvp's) and him level against Jordan is 32-10-5 . Karl's level against Jordan is 25-10-4 .

90sgoat
10-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Peak Barkley is one of the best players ever. Peak Barkley shits on Karl Malone and Lebron.

Peak Barkley is in Bird, Magic, Jordan territory as one of only a few elite scorers who at the same time could do EVERYTHING at the court.

Peak Barkley could outrebound a 7 foot center and go coast to coast for a slam.

In this era where flat footed, no first step Lebron can get to the basket with ease, how easy would it be for Barkley.

aj1987
10-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Peak Barkley is one of the best players ever. Peak Barkley shits on Karl Malone and Lebron.

Peak Barkley is in Bird, Magic, Jordan territory as one of only a few elite scorers who at the same time could do EVERYTHING at the court.

In this era where flat footed, no first step Lebron can get to the basket with ease, how easy would it be for Barkley.
http://i.imgur.com/Xjuplsw.gif

Dro
10-08-2015, 08:56 AM
How many times is somebody going to make this topic only to have 90% of the people choose Barkley? Seriously this topic gets started every week it seems.

GimmeThat
10-08-2015, 09:04 AM
if you draft well, probably Barkley, because if we were to really count lottery draft picks, there are really a few positions where it all becomes interchangeable

Malone is the perfect type of journey man player where you can piece together few veterans and contend

I wouldn't count on Barkley to lead, but any coach could certainly yell at the rest of the team for what he is out there trying to accomplish

no GM or coach can really ask any players to do what Malone does in the off-season.

2 cents

JtotheIzzo
10-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Best post on this site.

Pointguard
10-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Malone's consistency, dependability, productivity, durability and longevity is mind blowing and far above any other player I can think of. That's a crazy starting point for a guy who played over 1600 games.

I do agree that Barkley does have one of the best peaks ever, but Malone had 8 years where he had similar production to Barkley's peak. Barkley only had one year like his peak year. Barkley's third best year is similar in production to Malone's 19 year career average production in points and rebounds. Plus Malone played better defense.

Malone has 12 years of being right there at 25 and 10. Barkley has five years. While efficiency was never a big thing for power forwards - always was below defense and being aggressive, it gets cancelled out here because Malone was the leading scorer on a team that usually won more than Barkley: If Barkley had pushed the issue more with those losing teams they might have won more.

joshwake
10-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Nobody on the planet has analyzed this question more than RoundMound. I defer to him. I love both players, but the Jazz have always been my team, overall career I would take Malone, but peak I take Barkley. I would take either over any other PF, unless you want to consider Timmy a PF, which is a whole other can of worms.

bizil
10-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Peak wise, Im rolling with the Chuckster. GOAT wise, Mailman has the edge. Chuck totally revolutionized the PF position. He was like a PF, SF, and point forward all in one. And he was a freakish athlete to boot. Bascially, Charles could do MOST of the things Mailman could do. BUT Karl could NEVER do a lot of the things Barkley could do on the court.

However, Malone for me is the best prototype PF ever. He was through and through a PF. Didn't play much center if at all. And definitely didn't play SF. For all intents and purposes, Barkley, KG, and Dirk had many SF elements in their games. So much so all three played some SF early in their careers. Duncan was for all intents and purposes a dominant center who happened to play the PF. But Mailman AT HIS BEST was the definition of the PF position.

JellyBean
10-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I am taking Karl Malone.

4 Inches
10-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Give me the one who isn't a pedophile

GIF REACTION
10-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Malone just had it all, hence why he produced for near 20 years

lil jahlil
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Give me the one who isn't a pedophile
So neither.

4 Inches
10-08-2015, 08:50 PM
So neither.
https://brafootball.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/woah-1.gif

dreamwarrior
10-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Karl's stats are inflated 10-20% thanks to playing with Stockton. They ran the pnr together on almost every single play. Barkley on the other hand was a one man wrecking crew.

TheBigVeto
10-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Before Malone joined the Lakers, Malone.
After that, Barkley all the way.

kennethgriffin
10-08-2015, 09:14 PM
both guys should be champions

john paxson and a push off no call made sure jordan got their rings instead

that being said

i take barkley for his prime. karl for his career

Cold soul
10-08-2015, 09:50 PM
I favor Malone here.

Peak - Barkley

Career - Karl

Longevity - Karl

k0kakw0rld
10-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Chuck all day

aj1987
10-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Malone's consistency, dependability, productivity, durability and longevity is mind blowing and far above any other player I can think of. That's a crazy starting point for a guy who played over 1600 games.

I do agree that Barkley does have one of the best peaks ever, but Malone had 8 years where he had similar production to Barkley's peak. Barkley only had one year like his peak year. Barkley's third best year is similar in production to Malone's 19 year career average production in points and rebounds. Plus Malone played better defense.

Malone has 12 years of being right there at 25 and 10. Barkley has five years. While efficiency was never a big thing for power forwards - always was below defense and being aggressive, it gets cancelled out here because Malone was the leading scorer on a team that usually won more than Barkley: If Barkley had pushed the issue more with those losing teams they might have won more.
:applause: :applause:

Barkley is one of the most overrated players on here and Malone is of the the most underrated.

Round Mound
10-09-2015, 03:41 AM
Barkley was way more skilled than Malone. Barkley was Shaq-like inside the 3-Pointline and Malone couldnt match that production while playing in a system all desiged for him to score with the GOAT Offensive-Pass-Creator feeding him the Ball. Barkley was also a better play-off performer.

JtotheIzzo
10-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Barkley was way more skilled than Malone. Barkley was Shaq-like inside the 3-Pointline and Malone couldnt match that production while playing in a system all desiged for him to score with the GOAT Offensive-Pass-Creator feeding him the Ball. Barkley was also a better play-off performer.

truth

FWIW Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe (often considered the premier basketball writer of his era) called Karl Malone the 'most overrated player ever.'

but yeah, lets go with GIF REACTION and his trolling on this one.:rolleyes:

houston
10-09-2015, 04:26 AM
malone

GIF REACTION
10-09-2015, 04:30 AM
truth

FWIW Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe (often considered the premier basketball writer of his era) called Karl Malone the 'most overrated player ever.'

Nothing overrated about a 25/10 average over 19 years

And that's with a 58% TS

Round Mound
10-09-2015, 04:35 AM
truth

:applause:

jbryan1984
10-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Its tough but if both were in their prime, I'd go with Malone.

Reggie43
10-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Karl Malone because he could anchor your defense..

julizaver
10-09-2015, 08:28 AM

I have witnessed both players play and they were almost equal. We should give credit to Malone for being in top shape (physical and gaming) for all those years. He was obviously the more dedicated athlete.
With that said I could not argue that Barkley was probably the more talanted player, the more exciting to watch and if he was spending more time in the gym/training he would be mentioned in the same breath as Magic and Bird. But he was troublesome and there is no question about it. During his MVP year his team reached the Finals and I remembered him taking some wrong decicions (shooting when he better should pass and something like that), probably emotions took edge in him. Overall his stats were good but he was completely overshadowed by MJ, who was at his absolute best during that series.
Due to discipline issues I would take Malone if I am a coach. Otherwise they are at the same level in my All-time list.

GIF REACTION
10-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Malone never missed the playoffs once in 19 years of playing in the NBA.

Barkley was drafted into a team with Moses Malone, Dr J, Mo Cheeks...

He played on a Houston team with Olajuwon and Drexler...

Pointguard
10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
I have witnessed both players play and they were almost equal. We should give credit to Malone for being in top shape (physical and gaming) for all those years. He was obviously the more dedicated athlete.
With that said I could not argue that Barkley was probably the more talanted player, the more exciting to watch and if he was spending more time in the gym/training he would be mentioned in the same breath as Magic and Bird. But he was troublesome and there is no question about it. During his MVP year his team reached the Finals and I remembered him taking some wrong decicions (shooting when he better should pass and something like that), probably emotions took edge in him. Overall his stats were good but he was completely overshadowed by MJ, who was at his absolute best during that series.
Due to discipline issues I would take Malone if I am a coach. Otherwise they are at the same level in my All-time list.
Solid contribution as always. I don't have a big gap between the two. Barkley was a great talent, so much so that I don't know if he was an easy fit for a lot of teams. Yeah, near Bird and Magic levels, minus the mental game, focus, dedication, consistency and adaptability. He was obviously a physical marvel and if on his game he was one of a few that could reach a Jordan level. But would likely come back the next game and his focus muscle would seemed to have been totally maxed out and he would come up with a pedestrian game the next day. If I needed two super games in a series I would go with Barkley over a lot on my top ten GOAT list. If I needed six very good games I am going with Malone over Barkley.

Malone's dependability and consistency was crazy, 12 years where you could almost pencil in 25 and 10 without missing days and was always ready. After the 70's I am pretty sure nobody is approaching that. In the end, if Barkley prepared for the game like Malone he's Top 8 GOAT with his biggest flaw being his mind straying.

lil jahlil
10-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Malone never missed the playoffs once in 19 years of playing in the NBA.

Barkley was drafted into a team with Moses Malone, Dr J, Mo Cheeks...

He played on a Houston team with Olajuwon and Drexler...

When they were old. Don't forget that. We could also point out that Malone could not win with prime Shaq and Kobe. :confusedshrug:

ShawkFactory
10-09-2015, 03:01 PM
both guys should be champions

john paxson and a push off no call made sure jordan got their rings instead

that being said

i take barkley for his prime. karl for his career
Ew

Ray22
10-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Barkley was a better player.

WayOfWade
10-12-2015, 11:19 AM
People underrate Malone's peak. The dude averaged 31/11/3 on 56% shooting while Barkley peaked at 26/12/5 on 52% shooting. I'm not saying Malone's was better, but it is pretty close. Also, 2 MVPs > 1 MVP

GIF REACTION
10-12-2015, 09:30 PM
People underrate Malone's peak. The dude averaged 31/11/3 on 56% shooting while Barkley peaked at 26/12/5 on 52% shooting. I'm not saying Malone's was better, but it is pretty close. Also, 2 MVPs > 1 MVP
This

aj1987
10-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Not only that, dude missed like 10 games over his first 18 seasons. That's GOAT level longevity. Also, Malone averaged 25/10/4 on 52% over a 19 season career, averaging 22/8/4 on 48% from ages 35-40.

GIF REACTION
10-13-2015, 07:18 AM
And he never even missed the playoffs. Not even once.

warriorfan
10-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Both got MJ'd and suffer holes in their resume because of it.

Pointguard
10-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Not only that, dude missed like 10 games over his first 18 seasons. That's GOAT level longevity. Also, Malone averaged 25/10/4 on 52% over a 19 season career, averaging 22/8/4 on 48% from ages 35-40.
:cheers: which is very close to Barkley best three years. Kind of craxy right?