PDA

View Full Version : Julius Randle: Scouting Report

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 01:40 PM
I've had a chance to watch Randle up close ever since he was drafted by the Lakers, so here's my take on the guy:

Positives: Rare blend of size, strength and athleticism. Has the agility, light feet, fluidity and quickness of a SF. Has a Karl Malone type build, naturally strong with the ability to push grown men around at the age of 20. People will be shocked at how strong this guy is. Just watch. He has rare quickness and is dangerous from the triple threat position. Very good handles for a 4 and has the ability to break down set defenders or take it coast to coast off a rebound. Can fill the lane in transition. Decent passer off the dribble. Good motor. Can play good man on man D in iso situations because of his light feet.

Negatives: Terrible looking shot. Looks like he's throwing the ball at the rim rather than shooting it. Definitely needs to work on his form. Can't finish with his weak hand, even when the situation calls for him to use it. Plays too reckless at times, always going 100 mph instead of reading the situation and letting the game come to him. Can get caught up in bully ball in the post at times, just trying to overpower guys without looking for other ways to get off a shot. This again comes back to him not thinking and trying to do too much at once. Turnover prone, which is common for most young players. Needs to further refine his post game. Not a rim protector and never will be, so he needs to worry about playing great positional D.

Overview: You don't see too many guys with Randle's combination of size, strength and athleticism. Some guys his size might be fast as hell but lack strength while others might be strong but lack athleticism. He has a rare blend of both. His main strength right now is probably from the triple threat position where he can lose defenders with his handles and quickness. For the upcoming season, he will impact the game utilizing his natural talents, like running in transition and filling the lanes, getting some put backs, jumping passing lanes, slashing to the basket and just utilizing his youth and motor. But going forward, he will have to fix his shot, learn to use his right, refine his post game and learn to play within himself if he wants to be an all-star level type player. For the upcoming season, I see him putting up 13-15 ppg 8 rpg.

GoatBoy
10-08-2015, 01:45 PM
His negatives sound like things that can be fixed with time. Great pick :applause:

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 01:52 PM
His negatives sound like things that can be fixed with time. Great pick :applause:

Yup. I always want the guy with the rare talent/athleticism versus the guy who has skills but lacks athleticism. You can always teach skills, you can't teach athleticism.

It's funny because Randle and Russell are like opposites. Randle possessing the athleticism but lacking the polish/skills while Russell is so smooth/skilled/polished yet lacks athleticism.

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
He's got like 12 minutes total in the league. You can look like what you want in Summer League and preseason but it's the regular season and playoff games that matter...

chips93
10-08-2015, 02:11 PM
in college he just bullied smaller guys with his size, and i thought that wouldnt translate.

but when you see him out there with other legit nba players, he still looks big, big enough to bully other power forwards.

He's got like 12 minutes total in the league. You can look like what you want in Summer League and preseason but it's the regular season and playoff games that matter...

thats more than enough time to evaluate the weight of a players feet.

once you know that, a players career trajectory becomes crystal clear.

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 02:15 PM

He's played like 10 summer league and preseason games over the last 2 years. That's a huge sample size if you are trying to evaluate a player's raw tools.

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 02:18 PM
in college he just bullied smaller guys with his size, and i thought that wouldnt translate.

but when you see him out there with other legit nba players, he still looks big, big enough to bully other power forwards.

Very first summer league game for Randle last year, he went up against Draymond Green. Randle pushed Green around like a rag doll in a couple of plays and he was only 19. He hasn't even filled out yet. Remember Bron at 19? Much thinner compared to now. Look at Randle NOW, he already has a man's body. He's just going to get stronger. Dude is just naturally ox strong.

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I mean Stromile Swift was definitely better than Tim Duncan

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 02:49 PM
He's played like 10 summer league and preseason games over the last 2 years. That's a huge sample size if you are trying to evaluate a player's raw tools.

Raw tools don't equal 13-15 points and 8 rebounds.

There were 14 players who averaged 13/8 last year, and 12 who averaged 15/8. You don't just average 13/8 in the NBA.

ZeN
10-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I mean Stromile Swift was definitely better than Tim Duncan

:applause:

Heavincent
10-08-2015, 02:59 PM
He looked awful at first, but it seems like he's getting better. I think he can be a 12/7 type of guy.

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 03:42 PM

There were 14 players who averaged 13/8 last year, and 12 who averaged 15/8. You don't just average 13/8 in the NBA.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens huh?

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Sure, but whether youre right or wrong, it's still essentially guesswork, which is my point.

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 03:49 PM

And last time I checked, Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan are nothing but raw athletes. Like it or not, a lot of the NBA is about God given talent and not skills.

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
And last time I checked, Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan are nothing but raw athletes. Like it or not, a lot of the NBA is about God given talent and not skills.

If you think Randle is in the same conversation physically and athletically as Jordan and Howard you're clinically insane.

buddha
10-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Yup. I always want the guy with the rare talent/athleticism versus the guy who has skills but lacks athleticism. You can always teach skills, you can't teach athleticism.

It's funny because Randle and Russell are like opposites. Randle possessing the athleticism but lacking the polish/skills while Russell is so smooth/skilled/polished yet lacks athleticism.

ha. tell that to all the people on juice.

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 04:17 PM
If you think Randle is in the same conversation physically and athletically as Jordan and Howard you're clinically insane.

I'm only responding to what you said:

"Raw tools don't equal 13-15 points and 8 rebounds."

BlackWhiteGreen
10-08-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm only responding to what you said:

"Raw tools don't equal 13-15 points and 8 rebounds."

Both players have better overall skills than Randle does right now. But to clarify, raw tools CAN get you 13 and 8 in the NBA if you're one of the three best athletes the league has ever seen.

Now, if you'd have mentioned Andre Drummond...

BoutPractice
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Difficult to judge how he'll do yet.

He has some flaws that make you ask questions (specifically, being reliant on shots that will get blocked a lot in the league)... at the same time he has some extraordinary qualities that can help overcome them as well - particularly his quickness and his relentless motor going after the ball. There's a wild bull let loose quality to him.

WorldWarriors
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Meh watching him on the court against the Jazz he looks like he lacks confidence to me.

Jameerthefear
10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
nooooo
no no no no noooo

ClipperRevival
10-08-2015, 06:17 PM
nooooo
no no no no noooo

Not meant to disrespect either. But the MAIN reason why they are what they are is because of their off the charts athleticism for their size. But that shouldn't be viewed as a negative. I marvel at peak Howard's athleticism. Hitting the genetic lottery isn't a bad thing.

Jameerthefear
10-08-2015, 06:23 PM
defense is a skill. defensive awareness, the ability to do the things those guys do defensively is a skill. hell, dwight was pretty offensively skilled

dreamwarrior
10-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I thought he looked great out there, at least compared to what I expected of him.

outbreak
10-08-2015, 08:57 PM
defense is a skill. defensive awareness, the ability to do the things those guys do defensively is a skill. hell, dwight was pretty offensively skilled

Exactly.

If you want an example of a pure athlete look at DJs early seasons, Dedmon last season, Bismack Biyombo. If a player just stays an elite athlete they won't get that far they need to evolve.

4 Inches
10-08-2015, 08:59 PM
He looks like a Brandon Bass with better post game.

bobopenguin
10-08-2015, 09:01 PM
his trade value is high? Mitch, Randle for Cousins! get it done!

outbreak
10-08-2015, 09:05 PM
He looks like a Brandon Bass with better post game.
:biggums:

Bass is a really good mid range shooter and decent post up guy, randle can't shoot and can't finish at the rim.

ClipperRevival
10-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Two straight very good games for #30. Most impressive was that in both games, he had a stretch over a few minutes where he was impacting the game in different ways. That's what you want to see. I've always loved Randle's talents. He has the coordination and motor skills of a small man.

Cold soul
10-09-2015, 01:07 AM
Randle has shit ton of potential his ceiling to me is Chris Webber. I think at worst Odom/Z-BO a great 2nd or 3rd option on title team.

Nick Young
10-09-2015, 01:12 AM
Amazing draftpick. Showtime is back in LA:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nick Young
10-09-2015, 01:14 AM

GTFO butthurt Celtics bandwagoner from England:no:

Cold soul
10-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Randle was great steal at #7 still shocked he fell that far during draft.

ZeN
10-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Randle was great steal at #7 still shocked he fell that far during draft.
The previous year he would have gone #1

ZeN
10-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Randle has shit ton of potential his ceiling to me is Chris Webber. I think at worst Odom/Z-BO a great 2nd or 3rd option on title team.
Webber? We should be so fortunate.

brownmamba00
10-09-2015, 12:27 PM
dude is tossing around NBA vets like rag dolls with that big body and he's only 19??

Levity
10-09-2015, 12:41 PM
the kid has looked impressive this week and looks to be ready to have an impact for the lakers during the regular season. 4s just cant stay in front of his first step, he gets into the paint with ease and has a soft touch on his little 5 footers. Hasnt really gotten to the rim that much, except for offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Surprisingly, he's been able to stay in front of 3's defensively, when he gets switched onto one. His hands have been great, and i think we can thank meta for that.

Outside jumper is still suspect, but if this kid starts hitting a consistent 15 footer, hes going to feast on open lanes to the hoop all day. and if ever in his career he can start hitting the transition 3, hes going to be a hell of an offensive player, considering he can start the break, bring the ball up, and play make from the perimeter all with the 4 man guarding him playing a step back in fear of that first step

BoutPractice
10-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Yeah, his ceiling mostly hangs on his jumpshot imo.

If he doesn't develop one defenses will figure him out pretty quickly.

dubeta
10-09-2015, 01:34 PM
He has below average length and wingspan for his position

IIRC he has the lowest standing reach for his position in the league

34-24 Footwork
10-09-2015, 01:41 PM
I love that drives right and finishes left. But eventually, he's gonna have to build the confidence to take those 10-12 footers to keep the defense honest.

And honestly...when he's pushing the ball up the court, he needs to start running over a few guys who aren't in a good defensive position just to send a message. Too many guards are comfortable getting in front of him without paying the price.

catch24
10-09-2015, 01:49 PM
If Randle turns out to be Memphis Z-Bo, I'll be thrilled.

Still not sold on his overall offense, but he's young and will likely improve. His ability to run the break and handle the rock surprised me. At his size dude looks like a PG out there running the show.

That behind the back in transition and quick pass for a Kobe three. :applause:

ClipperRevival
10-09-2015, 02:57 PM
dude is tossing around NBA vets like rag dolls with that big body and he's only 19??

He's turning 21 in about a month. But he hasn't even filled out yet. He's just naturally strong.

Tking714
10-09-2015, 04:18 PM
The lakers are in a good position. Jordan Clarkson is going to be their first all star from the new crop, but Randle won't be far behind.

BigNBAfan
10-09-2015, 04:48 PM
The lakers are in a good position. Jordan Clarkson is going to be their first all star from the new crop, but Randle won't be far behind.

714? Why's that number significant to you?

ClipperRevival
10-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Get on the train boys, this is his time. Make no mistake Laker fans, this is clearly the best Laker prospect we have. He's going to surprise a lot of people. :cheers:

Cocaine80s
10-30-2015, 09:43 PM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-31-2015/DWQeks.gif

ClipperRevival
10-30-2015, 09:47 PM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-31-2015/DWQeks.gif

Dudes a killer. He literally has the strength to cut KG in half like a twig if he wanted too. People still do not realize how strong this guy is. They will. Guys just bounce off of him on contact.

kunk75
10-30-2015, 09:52 PM
he reminds me of john cena because they are both strong and bad at playing basketball

Ron Jeremy
10-31-2015, 12:33 AM
he reminds me of john cena because they are both strong and bad at playing basketball

:lol this has to be post of the year

stalkerforlife
10-31-2015, 12:36 AM

:roll:

aj1987
10-31-2015, 01:05 AM
:roll: :roll:

livingby3's
10-31-2015, 01:11 AM

Lol this is great :oldlol:

shallehalle
10-31-2015, 06:28 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

ImKobe
10-31-2015, 06:31 AM

:roll: :roll:

Dude has heart and he's dominant already in terms of physicality, he's only played 2 full games so the game is still going way too fast for him, but he's going to be an all-star caliber player in a year or two.

Jameerthefear
10-31-2015, 07:44 AM
:roll:

ClipperRevival
07-11-2016, 12:57 AM
With Luke's uptempo system and no Kobe killing the flow, Randle will be unleashed this year. This type of style suits him perfectly. Luke, no doubt, already recognizes what he has in Randle and that is a poor man's Draymond. A guy who can grab the rebound and take it coast to coast or create for others.

He's going to surprise people. Not all-star type but he will consistently impact the game. I think he will put up 15 ppg and 10 rpg.

TomCat
07-11-2016, 01:08 AM
With Luke's uptempo system and no Kobe killing the flow, Randle will be unleashed this year. This type of style suits him perfectly. Luke, no doubt, already recognizes what he has in Randle and that is a poor man's Draymond. A guy who can grab the rebound and take it coast to coast or create for others.

He's going to surprise people. Not all-star type but he will consistently impact the game. I think he will put up 15 ppg and 10 rpg.

Draymond can see the court. This guy has tunnel vision

FashionIssues
07-11-2016, 01:17 AM
he is no draymond ****ing green. he wants to put the ball in buckets in reckless abandon that is about it. there is no IQ screaming out of this guy. he is young and dumb. lets go lakers tho

ClipperRevival
07-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Draymond can see the court. This guy has tunnel vision

He's a pretty good passer. But he does get tunnel vision sometimes when attacking the basket. But that is correctable.