PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: "I wanna play for 20 years"

Hey Yo
10-09-2015, 06:23 PM
"Tony Parker has watched old rivals Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups and Jason Kidd end their playing careers in recent years. Parker, however, isn't eying his own retirement party anytime soon. If everything goes right for him, the longtime San Antonio Spurs point guard won't quit until after his 20th NBA season.

"The Spurs know I want to play until I'm 38," Parker told Yahoo Sports in a recent phone interview. "That will be 20 seasons for me. That's my goal. This year is No. 15. And if I'm lucky enough and I'm healthy, hopefully I can play 20 seasons and then I'll be ready to retire."

Parker, 33, made $12.5 million in the final year of his last contract last season. This season will be the first year of the 14-year NBA veteran's new contract paying him a total of $43.3 million over the next three seasons. Parker said he has told Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford he wants a career-ending three-year contract in San Antonio after his new deal expires.

more in the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-parker--i-want-to-play-20-seasons-with-the-spurs-061832700.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BigNBAfan
10-09-2015, 06:28 PM
For the sake of the spurs i hope not

outbreak
10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
He will go back to europe and get his statue

Kobe_6/8
10-09-2015, 06:33 PM
http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tbj/files/2010/11/kevin-garnett-shaq-laugh.jpg

sd3035
10-09-2015, 06:36 PM
He already sucks now, time to pack it in Tony

Dr Hawk
10-09-2015, 06:39 PM
A small PG that relies on his quickness......

kennethgriffin
10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
americans have been underrating tony parker for a long time now

if the media backed him like they did steve nash he'd have an MVP by now

hes been the most consistent PG over the last 10 years

how many traditional small PG's have lead a team to the championship and claimed finals mvp?

isiah thomas and tony parker? thats about it

IGOTGAME
10-09-2015, 06:54 PM
A small PG that relies on his quickness......

He does a lot more than that now.

Dr Hawk
10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
He does a lot more than that now.

Like what? legit question, haven't seen him too much

FreezingTsmoove
10-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Like what? legit question, haven't seen him too much

Run the offense

Set up the offense

Run, finish, set up the fastbreak (theres only one person with more fastbreak points than tony parker and its Lebald)

dubeta
10-09-2015, 08:49 PM
1 ring and 1 FMVP away from surpassing Kobe all time (5rings 2 FMVPs)

its gonna happen, him playing 20 years is just confirmation of that.

BasedTom
10-09-2015, 08:50 PM

how many traditional small PG's have lead a team to the championship and claimed finals mvp?

you've said a lot of incredibly stupid things over the years

but this post takes the cake

kennethgriffin
10-09-2015, 08:55 PM
you've said a lot of incredibly stupid things over the years

but this post takes the cake

will americans ever let go of their hatred for the french

just sayin. yall look b*tthurt as f*ck

:lol

BasedTom
10-09-2015, 09:06 PM
will americans ever let go of their hatred for the french

just sayin. yall look b*tthurt as f*ck

:lol
it has nothing to do with toby parker being french and everything to do with him being a worthless POS and a pathetic excuse of a basketball player

The reason the Spurs have succeeded in recent years is because he has featured LESS in the offense. The Spurs beautiful game and great ball movement = ball out of tony parker's hands as much as possible while Pop whispers sweet nothings in his ear to assuage his ego

AnaheimLakers24
10-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Tony needed more help in 08. Got shit on by lakers

BasedTom
10-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Tony needed more help in 08. Got shit on by lakers
he's a roleplayer, not a proper top flight player. and that's being generous.

remove manu or duncan and the spurs have a much harder time, if even still having their dynasty in that scenario. Remove tony parker and there's an abundance of talented players at the position that could have stepped up when it was needed.

buddha
10-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Patty Mills was clearly better than Parker last year. Only way Parker lasts that long on the spurs is if he takes an Andre Miller role.

T_L_P
10-09-2015, 10:44 PM
20 years?

Focus on not sucking in year 15, Tony.

dubeta
10-09-2015, 11:01 PM
20 years?

Focus on not sucking in year 15, Tony.

What a way to disrespect the best overall Spur since 2007 :facepalm

lil jahlil
10-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Based on how he has looked the last couple years, I don't think he'll make it.

houston
10-10-2015, 02:32 AM

this is true indeed

Real Men Wear Green
10-10-2015, 08:37 AM
It's not unrealistic if he's willing to accept a decreased role as he ages.

Taller than CP3
10-10-2015, 08:50 AM
he just wants to be remembered more than Timmy, that's all.

rmt
10-10-2015, 08:54 AM

Consistent/MVP-calibur PGs don't do this to their team in the playoffs:

2015 playoffs
10.9 pts 36.3%FG 6.5 PER -0.3 WS -6.5 BPM -0.2 VORP

One trick ponies (admitted a very good trick - penetrating) don't age well. Lead a team to the championships, my foot. It was Duncan who led them in the playoffs. Parker just took advantage of an injured Eric Snow and the rookie Daniel Gibson in the inevitable sweep.

it has nothing to do with toby parker being french and everything to do with him being a worthless POS and a pathetic excuse of a basketball player

The reason the Spurs have succeeded in recent years is because he has featured LESS in the offense. The Spurs beautiful game and great ball movement = ball out of tony parker's hands as much as possible while Pop whispers sweet nothings in his ear to assuage his ego

This.

Fat chance of that happening.

imdaman99
10-10-2015, 09:20 AM
0 chance of that happening except with the ladies. Women love Parker.

T_L_P
10-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Which year would he have an MVP?

Clifton
10-10-2015, 02:30 PM
It's not unrealistic if he's willing to accept a decreased role as he ages.
Exactly. No matter how old he is, he'll always know how to move without the ball, he'll always know how to be a threat without disrupting an offense at all, he'll always have some of the best layups of all time. Always have the 15 foot pullup as well.

At 20 mpg, I can see him doing it. Just have to train to keep up on D.

But the Spurs need to figure out how to replace Parker. The 3s-and-movement offense of the Spurs is great, but you need talent too or else you're just the Hawks. They've replaced Duncan more or less. But if they're going to downgrade to Aldridge they need to upgrade Parker or Manu to stay elite.

rmt
10-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Exactly. No matter how old he is, he'll always know how to move without the ball, he'll always know how to be a threat without disrupting an offense at all, he'll always have some of the best layups of all time. Always have the 15 foot pullup as well.

At 20 mpg, I can see him doing it. Just have to train to keep up on D.

But the Spurs need to figure out how to replace Parker. The 3s-and-movement offense of the Spurs is great, but you need talent too or else you're just the Hawks. They've replaced Duncan more or less. But if they're going to downgrade to Aldridge they need to upgrade Parker or Manu to stay elite.

At this point in his career, the Spurs are best served if Parker brings up the ball, sets up the offense, (gets out of the way) and makes the occasional 3pter. He can no longer break down anyone on the perimeter so his defender is getting up into him (so he can't get off the 15 foot pull-up you mention). If he can't get to the rim, he's pretty much like any second-rate PG (another poster's comparison to A. Miller is spot on) - certainly not worth 14.5 million/year.

Without Parker's penetration, he's not gonna age well as Manu has. Even though Manu can't get to the rim anymore, he is a great play maker - he runs the second unit masterfully (and is only taking up 2+million). And Aldridge has not replaced Duncan - they will still need a rim protector when Duncan retires.