PDA

View Full Version : lets be honest. ESPN owned themselves by lifting kobe from 160+ to 93rd

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 02:36 PM
aren't they basically admitting to themselves that this formula is flawed

"oh sh*t... our formula has kobe as 160th or some crap.. wtf... i thought this stuff worked? people are gonna laugh at us"

"better just totally discount it and rank him nearly 100 spots higher just incase"

http://goodereader.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/uploads/images/confused.jpg

dubeta
10-10-2015, 02:38 PM
No, they've been biased towards Kobe his entire career

This is they're way of giving Kobe a pass

No one believes Kobe is a top 93 player, not even ESPN

They have to rank him that high, or else Kobe stans like you would boycott them

catch24
10-10-2015, 02:40 PM
This needed another thread. The 3-4 addressing this just wasn't enough. :oldlol:

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 02:40 PM
No, they've been biased towards Kobe his entire career

This is they're way of giving Kobe a pass

No one believes Kobe is a top 93 player, not even ESPN

They have to rank him that high, or else Kobe stans like you would boycott them

no... their formula was so flawed that they had to totally disregard it cause even the stat geeks were embarrassed to publicize their genius methods of measurement

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 02:43 PM
This needed another thread. The 3-4 discussing them just wasn't enough. :oldlol:

lets be honest. you agree with my assessment

if espn was even halfway proud of their own units of measurement. they would have posted them instead of just making up kobes ranking without statistical analysis involved

even they admitted that kobe is twice as good as analytics suggest

LOL

catch24
10-10-2015, 02:46 PM
I do agree, but you're setting yourself up for GOAT backfire with all these projection threads.

Relax and let Kobe's play do the talking. :confusedshrug:

L8krH8tr
10-10-2015, 02:50 PM
how bad do you want Kobe inside of you?

JerrySeinfeld
10-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Only morons take ESPN seriously anymore. Like half of their "news" coverage comes from one of their talking heads saying some stupid ass shit that they proceed to talk about and over analyze until it runs it course and something new comes along. Essentially fabricating news from nothing.

The Kobe situation here is no different, but I agree with what you're saying, it exposes how stupid the list is in the first place.

JT123
10-10-2015, 03:09 PM
no... their formula was so flawed that they had to totally disregard it cause even the stat geeks were embarrassed to publicize their genius methods of measurement
They were so "embarrassed" that they published a story the very next day telling the world that objective analysis would have Kobe ranked 163rd. :lol
They flat out admitted that he was only ranked 93rd out of respect for past career achievements, sort of like his lone MVP award. But what else do you expect from the network that claims Kobe is "clutch" :facepalm

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 03:24 PM
They were so "embarrassed" that they published a story the very next day telling the world that objective analysis would have Kobe ranked 163rd. :lol
They flat out admitted that he was only ranked 93rd out of respect for past career achievements, sort of like his lone MVP award. But what else do you expect from the network that claims Kobe is "clutch" :facepalm

that doesnt take away from their initial embarrassment

:lol

and its still not part of their official rankings. they tried to save themselves from embarrassment

face it.. ESPN has no confidence in their own agenda

BlackWhiteGreen
10-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Or possibly it's two completely different ranking systems and they're comparing them. one's a statistical model (numbers only) and the other is a bunch of people who compare individual players to each other.

Which to you sounds subjective?

DMAVS41
10-10-2015, 03:30 PM
that doesnt take away from their initial embarrassment

:lol

and its still not part of their official rankings. they tried to save themselves from embarrassment

face it.. ESPN has no confidence in their own agenda

could you tell me where you rank Kobe the last 2 years please.

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 03:37 PM
could you tell me where you rank Kobe the last 2 years please.

in terms of skill level = #1

in terms of ability to produce when healthy game to game = #10

in terms of ability to produce hurt game to game = #30

in terms of impact on an overall season due to injuries = #200

its stupid to rank a guy based on his injuries a year ago... then we'd have to leave durant out of the top 50

rankings should be based on "IF" a player is 100%

not "well he'l probly get hurt"

StephHamann
10-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Just think a second having Kobe at 160 something means EVERY NBA STARTER is better than Kobe, because there are only 150 NBA starters.

2 players on my team (Mavs) alone are worse than Kobe: Williams & Mcgee

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 03:51 PM
my personal rankings:

#1 Anthony Davis
#2 Kevin Durant
#3 James Harden
#4 Russell Westbrook
#5 Steph Curry
#6 Lebron James
#7 Chris Paul
#8 Demarcus Cousins
#9 Blake Griffin
#10 Kobe Bryant

when 100% and healthy. kobe can play at a higher level than any other player ... period

we havent seen kobe healthy in 2 years... but this year i suspect he'l be around 22-24ppg, 4-5rpg, 4-5apg on 42% fg's

Dr Hawk
10-10-2015, 03:57 PM
my personal rankings:

#1 Anthony Davis
#2 Kevin Durant
#3 James Harden
#4 Russell Westbrook
#5 Steph Curry
#6 Lebron James
#7 Chris Paul
#8 Demarcus Cousins
#9 Blake Griffin
#10 Kobe Bryant

when 100% and healthy. kobe can play at a higher level than any other player ... period

we havent seen kobe healthy in 2 years... but this year i suspect he'l be around 22-24ppg, 4-5rpg, 4-5apg on 42% fg's

Those are the stats of the #10 player? What a shitty era this is then.

Kawhi >

Draymond >

Thompson >

Butler >

Melo >

Duncan >

Lamarcus >

Irving, Love, Pau, Marc, Randolph, Conley, Lillard, Iguodala, Wade...just to name some. all better than Kobe

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Those are the stats of the #10 player? What a shitty era this is then.

Kawhi >

Draymond >

Thompson >

Butler >

Melo >

Duncan >

Lamarcus >

Irving, Love, Pau, Marc, Randolph, Conley, Lillard, Iguodala, Wade...just to name some. all better than Kobe

it is a sh*tty era ... i agree

and 24/5/5 on 42% will be better than all of those guys this season

but most importantly. people forget about the intangibles kobe brings to the table

how many hockey assists does kobe get.. he still commands a double team more than most guys in the nba

Dr Hawk
10-10-2015, 04:01 PM
it is a sh*tty era ... i agree

and 24/5/5 on 42% will be better than all of those guys this season

but most importantly. people forget about the intangibles kobe brings to the table

how many hockey assists does kobe get.. he still commands a double team more than most guys in the nba

Not when he is downright a negative on defense. His numbers will be lower than those by the way

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Not when he is downright a negative on defense. His numbers will be lower than those by the way

i really dont care about defensive stats

nash won league MVP..... TWICE

steve.... nash

let that sink in

kobe gives up at most 8-10 points a game. i could care less.. hes gonna put up double that

DMAVS41
10-10-2015, 04:05 PM
in terms of skill level = #1

in terms of ability to produce when healthy game to game = #10

in terms of ability to produce hurt game to game = #30

in terms of impact on an overall season due to injuries = #200

its stupid to rank a guy based on his injuries a year ago... then we'd have to leave durant out of the top 50

rankings should be based on "IF" a player is 100%

not "well he'l probly get hurt"

okay, but then you really don't have a problem with where they rank kobe on that criteria. you just have an issue with the criteria.

i disagree with you that you should assume all players be healthy. sure, when it comes to guys in their primes with no injury concerns going in. but Kobe? that would be absurd to project a healthy 82 games. I think you look at the previous 2 seasons and evaluate his play and health and come up with a projection for this coming season.

I think something like 60 games, terrible defense, 40% shooting is about right. And that would probably make him around 75 to 100 in the league.

He could do much better or much worse of course, but I really don't see the issue here.

didn't see the durant part until just now. i think you factor in everything. durant shouldn't be ranked as a top 5 player going into this season because of those injury concerns. but he's also in a much different place than kobe. for starters...he's way better than kobe at basketball right now. so that matters. also, he's 27 years old, looks healthy currently, and doesn't have a history of getting hurt.

so it should factor in, it just depends on how much.

it's just silly to not put in age and health into ranking projections for an upcoming season.

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 04:07 PM

kobe averaged 23/5/6 with a torn shoulder last year ... while rehabbing 2 other injuries

i'm pretty sure if hes 100% that 37% gets bumped up to 41-42%

and those extra missed shots are turned into MAKES

get ready to be HUGELY disappointed.. because kobes volume won't change much .. just his efficiency

kennethgriffin
10-10-2015, 04:09 PM
okay, but then you really don't have a problem with where they rank kobe on that criteria. you just have an issue with the criteria.

i disagree with you that you should assume all players be healthy. sure, when it comes to guys in their primes with no injury concerns going in. but Kobe? that would be absurd to project a healthy 82 games. I think you look at the previous 2 seasons and evaluate his play and health and come up with a projection for this coming season.

I think something like 60 games, terrible defense, 40% shooting is about right. And that would probably make him around 75 to 100 in the league.

He could do much better or much worse of course, but I really don't see the issue here.

if a player IS 100%... and a player IS healthy... then judge him as though he is healthy

its obvious kobe right now isnt the same guy as a year ago

and his injuries were freak occurrences

torn ligaments and broken bones... those aren't age factors

prime michael jordan with a torn achilles, broken leg and torn shoulder wouldnt put much more than 37% fg's up either

DMAVS41
10-10-2015, 04:15 PM
if a player IS 100%... and a player IS healthy... then judge him as though he is healthy

its obvious kobe right now isnt the same guy as a year ago

and his injuries were freak occurrences

torn ligaments and broken bones... those aren't age factors

prime michael jordan with a torn achilles, broken leg and torn shoulder wouldnt put much more than 37% fg's up either

they are projections.

you wouldn't just assume peyton manning has the same chance to remain healthy all year now as he did 12 years ago.

it's just common sense.

given the past 2 years and Kobe's age...it only makes sense to project him to play like 55 to 60 games....or be bothered by injuries for some portion of the season.

dubeta
10-10-2015, 04:15 PM
my personal rankings:

#1 Anthony Davis
#2 Kevin Durant
#3 James Harden
#4 Russell Westbrook
#5 Steph Curry
#6 Lebron James
#7 Chris Paul
#8 Demarcus Cousins
#9 Blake Griffin
#10 Kobe Bryant

Let's be honest, Kobe hasn't been a top 10 player since 2009 (6 years ago), there's no way he's top 30 fully healthy forget top 10