PDA

View Full Version : The new starwars movie could suck dick and half you fans will still defend it. Why?;

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Because you're being groomed to love it endearingly no matter what, and you're so excited about this you're being told - and believing - that failure will not be an option. Have you guys not noticed how cheesy all the production hype has been? The on stage "trailer release" gimmicks, the overly-emotional nostalgiac interviews with the cliche background music of Luke Skywalker theme looking into the sunset? Now there are these events to sign up to be a lucky "chosen one" to see pre-screenings like a week before everyone else, and you can also "pre-order" starwars movie tickets - before the product has even established itself as any good!?

Remember on stage for the trailer how they made you watch over 2 hours of them BS'sing in front of the mic how great this new experience will be only to show the trailer in the last 30 seconds - and then immediately make the trailer public just as a slap in the face that you wasted all your time? And yet you didn't care?

The closing line by that producer/marketing lady:
"You're not just fans. You're family."

:facepalm

Come on, this feel good shit is less like marketing more like brainwashing.

This movie could suck dick and it won't matter because all you fans are being groomed as we speak to like it no matter what. How could you criticize your "Family". Forget the phantom menace, this shit could be Indy 4 status :oldlol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ74jsddklY/TdWq8PoeMdI/AAAAAAAAAAs/19wJkRhepwk/s1600/Carrie_Fisher2flv.png

I'll wait to see movie reviews by actual critics before I decide if I want to see this movie. I don't just give people my money on hype.

GIF REACTION
10-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Then I gave Meek mil a range rover

TOld warner bros that the games over

Nanners
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
jj abrams is gonna take a fat shit all over this franchise, just like he did with star trek. luckily george lucas already smeared shit all over this series when he made episodes 1-3 so theres not much left to ruin here.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
90+% on RT. I am personally guaranteeing it. I'm fvcking serious too.

Literally can't see this film being bad.

~primetime~
10-15-2015, 01:22 PM
people's expectations are much lower than the prequels

that will help it

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 01:25 PM
jj abrams is gonna take a fat shit all over this franchise, just like he did with star trek. luckily george lucas already smeared shit all over this series when he made episodes 1-3 so theres not much left to ruin here.
:roll: :roll:

It's bedtime, gramps.

DukeDelonte13
10-15-2015, 01:28 PM
I think no matter how good the movies are, people will always say that they suck compared to the originals.

GIF REACTION
In what world was Abram's Star Treks considered failures?

If anything he reinvigorated a dying franchise and modernized it successfully

CavaliersFTW
90+% on RT. I am personally guaranteeing it. I'm fvcking serious too.
I hope you're right, I hope the movie is good I just don't understand people throwing their time and money at a product that isn't even out already, stemming from the lineage of phantom binks and attack of the cringe. Starwars has almost a religious level of brand loyalty where people forget or maybe just don't even care that it could suck. I remember the prequals had many cringe-worthy moments though the effects sort of made up for it, but after I saw Indy 4 I knew literally any good movie brand or idea can take a huge nose-dive.

My fingers are crossed. But these hyped up nostalgiac interviews and productions they keep churning out are just so over the top brand loyalty grooming. I'm not buying a ticket until it's a proven good movie.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 01:32 PM
I hope you're right, I hope the movie is good I just don't understand people throwing their time and money at a product already, that isn't even out yet. Starwars has almost a religious level of brand loyalty where people forget, or maybe just don't even care, that it could suck. I remember the prequals had many cringe-worthy moments though the effects sort of made up for it, but after I saw Indy 4 I knew literally any good movie brand or idea can take a huge nose-dive.

My fingers are crossed. But these hyped up nostalgiac interviews and productions they keep churning out are just so over the top brand loyalty grooming. I'm not buying a ticket until it's a proven good movie.
I have confidence. Abrams is a REALLY talented director. The problem with the Star Trek films was the piss poor writing, especially in Into Darkness. The guy who wrote Empire is doing this film.

Abrams is the perfect pick for this, and then you have Kasdan, and then Kennedy who is a great producer. Really talented cast behind this film. Harrison Ford has a notorious hatred for the Star Wars films, but came back for this because he really loved the script (or the money idk maybe he lied). Still, I've gotten very positive vibes from everything we've heard.

DonDadda59
10-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Bullshit. There was insane hype for Phantom Menace and that movie sucks BBC. And fans have never made believe that movie and at least the immediate sequel was anything but absolute garbage.

I think no matter how good the movies are, people will always say that they suck compared to the originals.

Not true. Look at the new Mad Max movie. Universally loved even though it followed an ultra popular franchise and they replaced the iconic lead.

If it's good, people will like it. If it's shit, people will hate it.

Nanners
10-15-2015, 01:42 PM
:roll: :roll:

It's bedtime, gramps.

those new star trek movies are horrible. they are just shitty generic space adventures where the characters happen to have names from star trek. abrams completely ruined that franchise.

BoutPractice
10-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it's all about the script, not the direction.

The script of the new trilogy already has more potential to begin with because it's not a prequel.

The screenwriting team also has a pretty good track record.

So overall it's not just religious, but reasonable to hope that this trilogy will be better than the last one.

Dbrog
10-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Curious what makes you think this. As others and yourself have mentioned, the majority of people trashed the prequels once they saw them and same with indy 4. If anything, I think the fans are going to be extremely difficult to please. The level of hype is so high that idk how the movie can actually meet it.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
those new star trek movies are horrible. they are just shitty generic space adventures where the characters happen to have names from star trek. abrams completely ruined that franchise.
Going from failure after failure on television to a $385 million gross in the box office killed the franchise? Yeah, right. If anything, it revived Star Trek.

Star Trek 09 was a fantastic action film. The Original Series for a new generation. I'm actually somewhat interested in Trek because of that film.

Into Darkness was wack, and it was because of its writing, like I said earlier. Abrams made two visually spectacular films which were fun to watch, the second just so happened to be mindless fun. Blame Damon Lindelof or something.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-15-2015, 02:14 PM

I like the new Star Trek. :confusedshrug:

Next Generation will always be my favourite Star Trek but it's not like the new movies were bad.

ThePhantomCreep
10-15-2015, 02:22 PM
If JJ could get me to like a Star Trek film--a franchise I never cared for previously--I can't wait to see what he does with Episode VII.

niko
10-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Um, Star Wars fans hated the first film in the last reboot so much that Disney considered pretending it didn't exist (and only really acknowledges it because their cartoons take from it liberally). So there is an existing history that Star Wars fans will completely shit over a movie. So your point is stupid.

It seems like you want the fans to, before the movie is released, decide it must be stupid. That doesn't make sense on a hundred different levels.

dunksby
10-15-2015, 02:46 PM
I think most people like Star Wars just to dress up as Storm Troopers and Darth Vader in Halloween.

AlphaWolf24
10-15-2015, 02:50 PM
The OT is ingrained in our culture....

The OT defines multiple generations ...I seriously doubt there will ever be a " Movie/experience" that effects people and culture Like SW did ever again ( at least while I'm alive)

the PT on the other hand just flat out sucked azz.....but even still ....made Billions just because people wanted to return to the SW universe....most people expected the same greatness from GL.....instead we got Dog sh!t.

this time around.....I expect at least a good Sci Fi movie...with good characters/acting.

I do not expect the Magic of the first OT.....you can never go back....but at least I have that Time and no one can ever take it away.

Joshumitsu
10-15-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm going to say it again:

"Hunger Games in Space."

It's already got several stock characters and probably a similar plot.

Ex: lone teenage female, old 'defeated' mentor (mix of Luke/Han), cold authoritarian female enemy (Brienne of Tarth), male sidekick, spineless traitor villain type (aka new Sith guy).

Also, one of the things about the original trilogy is they cast regular looking farm boy/rogue types. Whereas Abrams and Disney like to cast clean cut, good looking Disney channel types.

So, imo, instead of a gritty Western/samurai tale set amidst a civil war about a kid who grows up......

...we're going to get a trendy "lone female rebels against authoritarian government" action blockbuster that is meant to fill ALL categories and appeal to ALL demographics.

tmacattack33
10-15-2015, 03:14 PM
You are right... if it sucks I probably would still like it. :oldlol:

I just love the feeling of being in that dope ass world that Lucas created for 2 hours. This is the same reason I still enjoy watching the old ones even though I've seen each one like 40 times already.

Nanners
10-15-2015, 03:23 PM
I like the new Star Trek. :confusedshrug:

Next Generation will always be my favourite Star Trek but it's not like the new movies were bad.

The new Star Trek has abandoned all of the ideas and themes that made next generation so great. Star Trek is not supposed to be a story about killing aliens in epic space battles, its a story about an idealistic future where humanity comes together and lives up to our collective potential.

The new ones arent really bad movies if you just look at them as generic space adventure movies, but there is nothing "star trek" about them other than the character names.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-15-2015, 03:24 PM
The new star trek has abandoned all of the ideas and themes that made next generation so great. Star trek is not supposed to be about killing aliens in epic space battles, its about an idealistic future where humans band together and live up to our collective potential.

They arent really bad movies if you just look at them as generic space adventure movies, but there is nothing "star trek" about them other than the character names.

I can agree with that. I enjoyed them but you're right that they're quite different from more classic Star Trek.

DonDadda59
10-15-2015, 03:45 PM
You seem to be forgetting the fact that an appalling amount of people under 23 actually like the prequels and defend them... Because, shocker, they don't understand movies.

I've honestly never encountered anyone who liked the Phantom Menace, regardless of age. I can't see why anyone would outside of the final lightsaber battle. Some people are lukewarm to AOTC, and ROTS gets OK-good reviews.

But maybe your interactions with younger fans have been different from mine.

Derka
10-15-2015, 03:49 PM
You seem to be forgetting the fact that an appalling amount of people under 23 actually like the prequels and defend them... Because, shocker, they don't understand movies.

Those people also didn't grow up having the original trilogy crammed down their throats so the comparison factor really isn't there for them the way it is for us 30-40 year olds who lived during and in the immediate aftermath of the originals.

Most of them didn't have their perspective colored by the fawning admiration for the originals that people from our group tended to have.

For my money, I'll take the lightsaber sequences in the prequels any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the slow, clumsy waltzes from the originals.

StephHamann
10-15-2015, 03:53 PM
OP 100% spot on.

Just like every reddit user thinks Emma Watson is the hottest girl on the planet because they had their first boner with 11 when they watched Harry Potter.

StephHamann
10-15-2015, 03:57 PM
In what world was Abram's Star Treks considered failures?

If anything he reinvigorated a dying franchise and modernized it successfully

The movie fkn sucks. Star Trek is about philosophical topics, and JJ turned it into a Transformers like movie with 1 million lensflaires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQRCG_sUw

Nanners
10-15-2015, 04:01 PM
The movie fkn sucks. Star Trek is about philosophical topics, and JJ turned it into a Transformers like movie with 1 million lensflaires.

http://gifs.joelglovier.com/clap/picard-slow-clap.gif

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2015, 04:18 PM

And this JJ megalomaniac is about to add his touch of death to Star Wars. A concept that like it or not, used to be one man's specific vision. Now Disney will re-hash it into a mainstream thing starting with their hipster director.

It really will be some sort of hunger games plot in space. And the new characters as was already pointed out are now too Disney/Hollywood/idealized looking. This movie is going to be just another TMNT, Transformers, etc type of movie only it will happen to take place in Star Wars land with some of the old characters brought back to make it seem convincingly tied in.

The actual pacing of the story, the feel of it, will all be replaced by the transformers generation style of cinema.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2011/05/29/magazine/29abrams_span/mag-29Abrams-t_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM4MTE0NTkzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEwNDU0OQ@@._ V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/01/24/xxx-jj-abrams--981-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idigitaltimes.com/files/2015/08/18/jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-vii.jpg

Nanners
10-15-2015, 04:23 PM
The actual pacing of the story, the feel of it, will all be replaced by the transformers generation style of cinema.

"dont worry guys, im gonna keep it true to the original series"

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/4ff36a2b84aecc34311d0e6c/t/524b006ce4b033a511e28cab/1380647021610/jj+abrams+lens+flare.jpg

Smoke117
10-15-2015, 04:24 PM
You sure are getting excited over something that doesn't even matter. Settle down.

Legends66NBA7
10-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah, because the prequels are so well received by the fans.

Most of them just want to forget about them and focus on what interesting storylines they can come up with for the future of the series. It doesn't even have to about the original characters. That's how big the Star Wars universe is.

DonDadda59
10-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Those people also didn't grow up having the original trilogy crammed down their throats so the comparison factor really isn't there for them the way it is for us 30-40 year olds who lived during and in the immediate aftermath of the originals.

Most of them didn't have their perspective colored by the fawning admiration for the originals that people from our group tended to have.

For my money, I'll take the lightsaber sequences in the prequels any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the slow, clumsy waltzes from the originals.

Personally I thought the new prequel saber fights were campy as shit for the most part. The Phantom Menace was pure trash overall, but I did like the final saber fight. The final fight between Obi Wan and Anakin in Episode 3 was just plain cartoonish. I feel like in the OT the saber battles happened for a reason, they always centered around an important conflict- the original was Obi-Wan seeing Vader for the first time in decades and giving up his life so he could help Luke posthumously, the second centered around Vader revealing he was Luke's father, the third was Luke redeeming his father. The new ones, it seemed like they had saber battles just to show off the new technology they had at their disposal.

However, I've noticed a shift online in the past couple of years. We've reached that point where these people are nostalgic for something they saw as kids. The first one is 16 years old now. So, instead of realizing how they are all terrible movies, they think they're passable.

Things went from vile hatred or ambivalence to, 'eh they're fine', or 'the originals had flawz too', or even genuine fans. If you go to the imdb boards or something tons of people can't comprehend why they movies are hated. (But we all know the typical level of intelligence on a forum)

There's also crazy people like that guy who wrote 100 pages trying to defend the prequels after seeing the Redlettermedia/Plinkett reviews.

I guess I just haven't looked too much into it beyond passing casual conversations. Personally I thought Revenge of the Sith was a big improvement over the first 2 even though it had its issues. AOTC was eh, really a pointless movie. Phantom Menace was about as bad as a tentpole sequel can get.

But the OT had its share of issues too. George Lucas became a greedy, merchandise obsessed hack from the time of the original to Jedi. The best film in the franchise was neither written nor directed by him. He was so focused on cashing in on younger audiences that he changed the Endor inhabitants from Wookies as had been originally planned (and carried out in ROTS) to the cute, cuddly marketable teddy bear Ewoks. It was a shameless cash grab intended to boost toy sales and create spin offs like the Ewok Adventure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenB3gt6SAY) and the Ewok Christmas Special. :facepalm

Honestly, the best thing that ever happened to the franchise post Jedi was Lucas being bought out. The fact that he even sold the rights despite already being a billionaire tells you where his head/heart were at.

NuggetsFan
10-15-2015, 04:50 PM

I like the new Star Wars movies. I'm 24 but obviously seen the originals and like them way better. New ones suck but I just enjoy the Star Wars world. Fun way to spend a couple hours.

Not everybody is a critic who wishes to analyze every film they see. I love good movies, but I can enjoy some movies for what they are. Mindless entertainment, not everything is this artistic, witty, intelligent, quality masterpiece.

Le Shaqtus
10-15-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm going to love it and you can't stop me.

Nanners
10-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I like the new Star Wars movies. I'm 24 but obviously seen the originals and like them way better. New ones suck but I just enjoy the Star Wars world. Fun way to spend a couple hours.

Not everybody is a critic who wishes to analyze every film they see. I love good movies, but I can enjoy some movies for what they are. Mindless entertainment, not everything is this artistic, witty, intelligent, quality masterpiece.

I like mindless entertainment too, but I dont want hollywood to take every classic film, strip away everything that made it great, and remake them all as mindless entertainment.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm going to say it again:

"Hunger Games in Space."

It's already got several stock characters and probably a similar plot.

Ex: lone teenage female, old 'defeated' mentor (mix of Luke/Han), cold authoritarian female enemy (Brienne of Tarth), male sidekick, spineless traitor villain type (aka new Sith guy).

Also, one of the things about the original trilogy is they cast regular looking farm boy/rogue types. Whereas Abrams and Disney like to cast clean cut, good looking Disney channel types.

So, imo, instead of a gritty Western/samurai tale set amidst a civil war about a kid who grows up......

...we're going to get a trendy "lone female rebels against authoritarian government" action blockbuster that is meant to fill ALL categories and appeal to ALL demographics.
You're assuming all this because there just so happens to be a female lead. Yes, they're trying to please all demographics, no, the movie won't be anything like Hunger Games, if the leaks suggest anything.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 05:00 PM
In what f*cking universe did Star Trek have 'failure after failure'?

5 different shows running at least 3 years, and 3 of them running 6 or more...
10 movies before Abrams...
Legions of diehard fans...
Comics, novels, merchandise, people learning the languages...

Yeah, what a garbage heap.
Enterprise was pretty fvcking shitty and did nothing but sour fans. Then you had all the shitty Next Generation films in the same time period. By the early 2000s, Trek was way too fatigued. I feel that the Abrams movies revived and kickstarted the franchise once again.

NuggetsFan
10-15-2015, 05:01 PM
I've never seen Star Trek, new or old. I thought those were suppose to be good? It got some oscar noms, first one gets an 8 on IMDB, gets great reviews on RT and seemed to make Chris Pines career pop off. Everyone always talks about how good it was. I've never seen Super 8 either but seems like that's considered a pretty good flick as well.

I think when it comes to music/movies people need to accept everyone has different tastes. People always get caught up with popular opinions, or try to go against the grain. Somehow think what you like makes you either smart or stupid or cool :lol

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 05:05 PM
I've never seen Star Trek, new or old. I thought those were suppose to be good? It got some oscar noms, first one gets an 8 on IMDB, gets great reviews on RT and seemed to make Chris Pines career pop off. Everyone always talks about how good it was. I've never seen Super 8 either but seems like that's considered a pretty good flick as well.

I think when it comes to music/movies people need to accept everyone has different tastes. People always get caught up with popular opinions, or try to go against the grain. Somehow think what you like makes you either smart or stupid or cool :lol
They hate them because they weren't dull as fvck borefests like The Motion Picture.

NuggetsFan
10-15-2015, 05:05 PM
I like mindless entertainment too, but I dont want hollywood to take every classic film, strip away everything that made it great, and remake them all as mindless entertainment.

That's fair. I don't care about that tho. If it sucks than I just won't watch it again, if it's great than I'll be pumped. I'm a horror nut and it's happened alot recently with horror movies. Worst case is I pass, best case is I get another great flick.

You always have a choice. Just don't watch it if your one of those people. Like if your a Star Wars nut the newer ones are probably going to be waaaaay different. I'd just avoid them :confusedshrug:

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Abrams was a Star Wars director making a Star Trek film. Why would he make Star Wars different now?

NONE OF THIS FVCKING THREAD MAKES ANY SENSE.

YOU'RE ALL DUMB ASSHOLES.

warriorfan
10-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Because you're being groomed to love it endearingly no matter what, and you're so excited about this you're being told - and believing - that failure will not be an option. Have you guys not noticed how cheesy all the production hype has been? The on stage "trailer release" gimmicks, the overly-emotional nostalgiac interviews with the cliche background music of Luke Skywalker theme looking into the sunset? Now there are these events to sign up to be a lucky "chosen one" to see pre-screenings like a week before everyone else, and you can also "pre-order" starwars movie tickets - before the product has even established itself as any good!?

Remember on stage for the trailer how they made you watch over 2 hours of them BS'sing in front of the mic how great this new experience will be only to show the trailer in the last 30 seconds - and then immediately make the trailer public just as a slap in the face that you wasted all your time? And yet you didn't care?

The closing line by that producer/marketing lady:
"You're not just fans. You're family."

Come on, this feel good shit is less like marketing more like brainwashing.

This movie could suck dick and it won't matter because all you fans are being groomed as we speak to like it no matter what. How could you criticize your "Family". Forget the phantom menace, this shit could be Indy 4 status :oldlol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ74jsddklY/TdWq8PoeMdI/AAAAAAAAAAs/19wJkRhepwk/s1600/Carrie_Fisher2flv.png

I'll wait to see movie reviews by actual critics before I decide if I want to see this movie. I don't just give people my money on hype.

The same reason why Wilt sucks dick and you still defend him. Homo love.

StephHamann
10-15-2015, 05:17 PM
JJ Abrams has not made a single movie that is good.

Why on earth should Star Wars be great now?

And also you can clearly see Disney is involved, the main characters are 50% women 50% men and of course there is racial diversity so you get the most family friendly political correct product possible.

Shade8780
10-15-2015, 05:31 PM
i was a bit harsh saying failure after failure, but you get what i mean. enterprise and next generation movies were an all-time low for trek.

as well, the prequels still made a shit load of money and were massive at the time. trek was... umm.

outbreak
10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
I don't think this movie will be bad but I expect something like the Marvel films. They aren't bad films, they are enjoyable so I guess they are good but they nearly all forgettable pop film action films with no substance or real additions to the world building. Hollywood is happy with those kinds of films because they are a safe bet to make money, people won't complain much if all they get is a watered down series of action sequences. Easier to not **** up on their part but doesn't seem likely it'll make it on to any lists of great movies.

Old Carrie Fisher was funny on Legit recently.

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2015, 05:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMNm0-0-Ko

:lol

JerrySeinfeld
10-15-2015, 06:10 PM

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/7f/Jabba_SWSB.png

Derka
10-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Personally I thought the new prequel saber fights were campy as shit for the most part. The Phantom Menace was pure trash overall, but I did like the final saber fight. The final fight between Obi Wan and Anakin in Episode 3 was just plain cartoonish. I feel like in the OT the saber battles happened for a reason, they always centered around an important conflict- the original was Obi-Wan seeing Vader for the first time in decades and giving up his life so he could help Luke posthumously, the second centered around Vader revealing he was Luke's father, the third was Luke redeeming his father. The new ones, it seemed like they had saber battles just to show off the new technology they had at their disposal.
I wouldn't say they were "Ooooh look at our technology" moments because there was nothing technologically innovative about those sequences: they were just 1000x faster and 1000x more intense, which was the intent. They were intended to be a display of what true, trained Jedi and Sith were capable of at the height of their respective powers. Levy your many valid criticisms about the rest of the prequels' many flaws until the cows come home and I'll be right there with you, but I think in this one area the prequels succeeded completely. The depth of the threat the Jedi and the Republic faced from Sidious and his machinations, I think, was very deeply felt in those combat sequences. These are dangerous dudes and when you strip the poorly-executed political machination sequences away and get right down to us vs. them part of it...well done, I thought.

I'd say the only lightsaber fight with any gravitas from the originals was Luke v Vader in Jedi. Alec Guinness could not have given a shit less about waving a stick around and it showed in his performance...same with the first Luke/Vader fight in Empire, which was shot brilliantly but in truth was slow as hell until the big payoff dialogue moment. In Jedi, Luke had to face a monstrous choice...I think the way he fought in that sequence was reflective of that. Meanwhile, I look at each major lightsaber combat sequence in the prequels and I know exactly why they're there and why they're happening. They aren't just window dressing with choreography...each one portrays the immediacy, the danger of the threat that's emerging. I'll be honest, I wish Obi-wan v. Vader hadn't been cut a whole bunch of times to flash to other action...that fight suffered for it, but it still served I think as what I saw as the ultimate defeat of the Jedi...one of the best of their order betrays them outright.

DonDadda59
10-15-2015, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't say they were "Ooooh look at our technology" moments because there was nothing technologically innovative about those sequences: they were just 1000x faster and 1000x more intense, which was the intent. They were intended to be a display of what true, trained Jedi and Sith were capable of at the height of their respective powers. Levy your many valid criticisms about the rest of the prequels' many flaws until the cows come home and I'll be right there with you, but I think in this one area the prequels succeeded completely. The depth of the threat the Jedi and the Republic faced from Sidious and his machinations, I think, was very deeply felt in those combat sequences. These are dangerous dudes and when you strip the poorly-executed political machination sequences away and get right down to us vs. them part of it...well done, I thought.

Yeah, maybe it's been a while since you've watched the films but...

https://youtu.be/pSwy412nttI?t=3m40s

Really? Surfing on lava, swinging from cables... but Anakin can't make a 10 foot jump? :lol

That whole sequence was cringeworthy and comical when it was supposed to be the crux of the new trilogy.

And if you want to see what true jedi/sith were capable of at the height of their powers, watch Gendy Tartakovsky's The Clone Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3ocZu4cZo) miniseries from 2003. They made force users absolute badasses.

I'd say the only lightsaber fight with any gravitas from the originals was Luke v Vader in Jedi. Alec Guinness could not have given a shit less about waving a stick around and it showed in his performance...same with the first Luke/Vader fight in Empire, which was shot brilliantly but in truth was slow as hell until the big payoff dialogue moment. In Jedi, Luke had to face a monstrous choice...I think the way he fought in that sequence was reflective of that. Meanwhile, I look at each major lightsaber combat sequence in the prequels and I know exactly why they're there and why they're happening. They aren't just window dressing with choreography...each one portrays the immediacy, the danger of the threat that's emerging. I'll be honest, I wish Obi-wan v. Vader hadn't been cut a whole bunch of times to flash to other action...that fight suffered for it, but it still served I think as what I saw as the ultimate defeat of the Jedi...one of the best of their order betrays them outright.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

"No... I am your father"

Possibly the most iconic line in Film History.

Goro
10-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Reactions to episode I are how I know the OP is wrong.

LJJ
10-15-2015, 08:32 PM

Underrated funniest bit of the thread.

These are the "regular looking farm hand folks":

http://i.imgur.com/7qP4wm4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NL6joNL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iL8aPEQ.jpg

These guys though, are too clean and good looking, too much Disney:

http://i.imgur.com/FVg2dc8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZPRmcLE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qcr0X7W.jpg

Derka
10-15-2015, 08:49 PM

The original Star Trek was boring and monstrously f*cking corny.

Derka
10-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah, maybe it's been a while since you've watched the films but...

https://youtu.be/pSwy412nttI?t=3m40s

Really? Surfing on lava, swinging from cables... but Anakin can't make a 10 foot jump? :lol

That whole sequence was cringeworthy and comical when it was supposed to be the crux of the new trilogy.

And if you want to see what true jedi/sith were capable of at the height of their powers, watch Gendy Tartakovsky's The Clone Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3ocZu4cZo) miniseries from 2003. They made force users absolute badasses.
B

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

"No... I am your father"

Possibly the most iconic line in Film History.
You didn't read the rest of that paragraph. I said that it was a great payoff, but the ten minutes of bullshit sporadic lightsabering and was lame.

Also, that's a friggin cartoon. There are no limits with cartoons like there are with actual human beings trying to mind-fling the entire Senate at each other.

Kblaze8855
10-15-2015, 08:55 PM
I've spent more than ten bucks on things I didn't already know were good.

I'm an adult with a solid income. Why am I worried about ten dollars?

Life is taking chances. If I spend a few dollars and only get a mediocre movie....**** it. I've spent 90 bucks on mediocre meals.

You don't go in knowing everything you try is great. That's no reason not to try things.

AlphaWolf24
10-15-2015, 11:21 PM
The original Star Trek was boring and monstrously f*cking corny.

The Original ST Movie???....I haven't seen it in awhile but IMO the original movie was really good.

Wrath of Khan was F'ing Epic in the theaters ( yes I'm that old).....

the time travelling whale one was ok...everthing after was meh.

I actually enjoyed JJ's ST movies....:confusedshrug:

TonyMontana
10-15-2015, 11:21 PM
The New movie is guaranteed to suck. Star wars is now just another line of popular movie series that has been hijacked by Social Justice warriors to advance their agenda. Social justice warriors prefer to hack existsting franchises, because people are going to watch a Star Wars movie no matter what. Where as on the other hand, noone would watch their shit if they themselves were creating a universe from scratch.

And I say this as someone who loved the prequels too, not just some elitist f@g who glorifies the original trilogy.

The Phantom Menace was ****ing great aside from Jar Jar/the gungan people and then the pod racing shit. Darth Maul was ****ing cool, and I thought Liam Neesons Jedi Master was one of the best characters in the entire series.

Attack of the clones is the only one that actually sucked to me. Too much cringe from the guy playing Anakin, Count Dooku was a lame villain, and the planet where they had to rescue Obi-Wan from just sucked in general. Jango Fett was probably the only cool thing about that movie.

Revenge of the sith still stands as the only movie that I ever went to see multiple times at the movie theater. Seeing Anakin turn, Darth Sidius transform and dominate Yoda and Mace Windu, great shit. They could have made this movie way ****ing better too if they elminiated some Anakin cringe lines with Padme, as well as make Anakin be the one who kills the Jedi Masters rather than that order 66 shit.

Despite being this much of a Star wars dickrider, and even playing the video games when I was younger/reading the books(Disney just shit on the entire expanded universe by the way) im definetly not paying for this new piece of shit that is coming out nor supporting it.

Even the people marketing it know it is going to suck dick. Look at all the Star Wars shit they are trying to sell. The new created characters are all so terrible that they are still using Darth fukn Vader to sell the new merchandise rather than the new random black dude, random women leads. :facepalm but i guess it doesn't matter since because of it's past people are going to see a movie with Star Wars in the title no matter what.

AlphaWolf24
10-15-2015, 11:27 PM
The New movie is guaranteed to suck. Star wars is now just another line of popular movie series that has been hijacked by Social Justice warriors to advance their agenda. Social justice warriors prefer to hack existsting franchises, because people are going to watch a Star Wars movie no matter what. Where as on the other hand, noone would watch their shit if they themselves were creating a universe from scratch.

And I say this as someone who loved the prequels too, not just some elitist f@g who glorifies the original trilogy.

The Phantom Menace was ****ing great aside from Jar Jar/the gungan people and then the pod racing shit. Darth Maul was ****ing cool, and I thought Liam Neesons Jedi Master was one of the best characters in the entire series.

Attack of the clones is the only one that actually sucked to me. Too much cringe from the guy playing Anakin, Count Dooku was a lame villain, and the planet where they had to rescue Obi-Wan from just sucked in general. Jango Fett was probably the only cool thing about that movie.

Revenge of the sith still stands as the only movie that I ever went to see multiple times at the movie theater. Seeing Anakin turn, Darth Sidius transform and dominate Yoda and Mace Windu, great shit. They could have made this movie way ****ing better too if they elminiated some Anakin cringe lines with Padme, as well as make Anakin be the one who kills the Jedi Masters rather than that order 66 shit.

Despite being this much of a Star wars dickrider, and even playing the video games when I was younger/reading the books(Disney just shit on the entire expanded universe by the way) im definetly not paying for this new piece of shit that is coming out nor supporting it.

Even the people marketing it know it is going to suck dick. Look at all the Star Wars shit they are trying to sell. The new created characters are all so terrible that they are still using Darth fukn Vader to sell the new merchandise rather than the new random black dude, random women leads. :facepalm but i guess it doesn't matter since because of it's past people are going to see a movie with Star Wars in the title no matter what.

as far as Darth Vader goes.....he is probably the most iconic Villian in Movie History.....and......

He will be making a return to the Big Screen in the New SW franchise...possibly a flash back in the Force Awakens....( we know we see his helmet)

and he will definitely be back in the Rogue one Movie ....so yeah.....Disney is still using Vader :confusedshrug:

KNOW1EDGE
10-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I've never known an unreleased film to have this many reviews. It seems rather odd to me.

Everybody is dieing to share their expert opinion on a movie they have never seen. How does this work?

ISH is a weird fuhcking place full of weird fuhcking people

AlphaWolf24
10-15-2015, 11:45 PM
I've never known an unreleased film to have this many reviews. It seems rather odd to me.

Everybody is dieing to share their expert opinion on a movie they have never seen. How does this work?

lol.....how old are you?

It's F'ing Star Wars....it will shut down the internet Monday.

Joshumitsu
10-16-2015, 12:27 AM

Yeah but nobody's giving it reviews. They're speculating based on trailer footage, casting choices, director/producer comments, leaked concept art and storylines.

It's preview, not a review.

It's the same thing as people predicting NBA/NFL championships before the season starts.

KNOW1EDGE
10-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Yeah but nobody's giving it reviews. They're speculating based on trailer footage, casting choices, director/producer comments, leaked concept art and storylines.

It's preview, not a review.

It's the same thing as people predicting NBA/NFL championships before the season starts.

Accept for its nothing like that.

And i haven't seen anyone say the trailers sucked, they say the movie sucks. The movie they haven't seen. The movie that isn't out yet. It's dumb

Joshumitsu
10-16-2015, 12:50 AM
Underrated funniest bit of the thread.

These are the "regular looking farm hand folks":

http://i.imgur.com/7qP4wm4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NL6joNL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iL8aPEQ.jpg

By all means, they look normal. Good looking but very normal. Nobody stands out. No suave dude who looks like James Bond. Nobody who looks like they came from the TV show Dallas. Nobody with a cheerful Brady Bunch type face. Ford wasn't the type of actor people were going to be regularly casting (they were looking for a different kind of face during the 70s).

These guys though, are too clean and good looking, too much Disney:

http://i.imgur.com/FVg2dc8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZPRmcLE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qcr0X7W.jpg

You chose the worst pictures....dude.

Adam Driver, primarily known as a soap opera actor, isn't even a main hero character. He's going to play some loser Sith and not even the main 'true' bad guy. Of course, they give "Mr. Ugly" a bad guy role. It's Disney.

John Boyega's got a square jaw, clean haircut look. They're not going to cast a "mean looking black guy". They want the token suburban well spoken black guy seen on the Disney channel (not saying that's what Boyega is, just stating what Disney looks for and identifies Boyega as).

Same with Daisy Ridler. She has a clean Jeniffer Lawrence/Olivia Wilde, symmetrical face look with a cute smile and symmetrical features. She looks exactly what Abrams would cast in Star Trek as an attractive heroine.

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014329/rs_560x415-140429162055-1024.Daisy-Ridley-John-Boyega-star-wars.jpg

I'm not saying you can't cast good looking standouts. I'm just saying at some point, it's about selling an attractive product as opposed to focusing on substance.

CavaliersFTW
10-16-2015, 12:58 AM
By all means, they look normal. Good looking but very normal. Nobody stands out. No suave dude who looks like James Bond. Nobody who looks like they came from the TV show Dallas. Nobody with a cheerful Brady Bunch type face. Ford wasn't the type of actor people were going to be regularly casting (they were looking for a different kind of face during the 70s).

Adam Driver, primarily known as a soap opera actor, isn't even a main hero character. He's going to play some loser Sith and not even the main 'true' bad guy. Of course, they give "Mr. Ugly" a bad guy role. It's Disney.

John Boyega's got a square jaw, clean haircut look. They're not going to cast a "mean looking black guy". They want the token suburban well spoken black guy seen on the Disney channel (not saying that's what Boyega is, just stating what Disney looks for and identifies Boyega as).

Same with Daisy Ridler. She has a clean Jeniffer Lawrence/Olivia Wilde, symmetrical face look with a cute smile and symmetrical features. She looks exactly what Abrams would cast in Star Trek as an attractive heroine.

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014329/rs_560x415-140429162055-1024.Daisy-Ridley-John-Boyega-star-wars.jpg

I'm not saying you can't cast good looking standouts. I'm just saying at some point, it's about selling an attractive product as opposed to focusing on substance.
Plus the fact that Carrie Fisher did NOT look like she did in ROTJ when she was cast for starwars, in fact lucas was criticized for casting her because she had a round face. She lost like 15lbs to wear that bikini for ROTJ.

https://marciokenobi.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/leia.jpg

She's attractive but not like this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/29/article-2616189-1D743CEE00000578-586_634x356.jpg

Joshumitsu
10-16-2015, 01:20 AM
^^^exactly.

Accept for its nothing like that.

And i haven't seen anyone say the trailers sucked, they say the movie sucks. The movie they haven't seen. The movie that isn't out yet. It's dumb

Alright, maybe OP and some others go overboard (this is ISH OTC afterall) but it's mostly just conjecture.

Reading the thread, everyone else making predictions have cited Abrams and/or Disney's track records. Or have looked at how Hollywood is remaking/rebooting every classic as a money grabbing tactic. Or are pointing at writing rather than direction as the indicators of whether or not the film is good.

It's fair to draw conclusions based on these patterns. Humans are natural pattern readers. That's how our ancestors were able to outsmart animals, nature, each other to survive.

So I think it's fair to say it's going to suck or it's going to get 90% on RT.

Because it's f*cking Star Wars...of which is sacred as f*ck and a human tradition of the civilized world.

HeatFanSince88
10-16-2015, 01:48 AM

the worst pictures lol? those guys are ugly period.

Ok the new girl is comparable to Leia... maybe even better.. I'll accept that.

But lol @ seriously posting a couple paragraphs trying to convince people the new token black guy and the guy that looks like a rat are comparable to Luke and Harrison Ford.

http://www.theroot.com/content/dam/theroot/blogs/the_grapevine/2014/12/dear_racist_star_wars_fans_there_are_black_stormtr oopers_so_get_over_it/starwarsteaser.png.CROP.rtstory-large.png

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Adam+Driver+GQ+Men+Year+Party+Arrivals+U-u5u4g-b4Kl.jpg

No homo, but these mother****ers are fukn ugly. Not sure if "selling an attractive product" is their main goal.

Smoke117
10-16-2015, 02:25 AM
Basically Cavftw had a melt down over a silly movie and wanted to project his displeasure on us. Add this to my list of people who just want to be bullied and ridiculed. You have to love to be humiliated to post such ****ing bullshit.

LJJ
10-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Even Daisy Ridley, come on... I don't care what picture you choose. You see some airbrushed perfect angle Hollywood headshot and you might be fooled in thinking she is decent, but seeing her in motion or in a non studio photo it is abundantly clear she is a plain, average looking girl.

http://s23.postimg.org/u1qgl5ld7/28285_D2000000578_0_image_m_83_1430386590695.jpg

If you think they cast beautiful, attractive Disney types because of Daisy Ridley, I feel sorry for your taste in women.

Goro
10-16-2015, 06:47 AM
^ You chose a pick of her laughing though. Nobody looks good in laughing pics (real laughter, not fake posing for cameras laughter that you see in old navy adds).

LJJ
10-16-2015, 08:01 AM
^ You chose a pick of her laughing though. Nobody looks good in laughing pics (real laughter, not fake posing for cameras laughter that you see in old navy adds).

I posted two pictures and the other dude posted another. In none of the pictures she looks above a 7.

niko
10-16-2015, 11:45 AM
This topic is basically saying everyone is sheep so you'll love it no matter what, when you're supposed to hate it, in advance, no matter what.

Derka
10-16-2015, 11:47 AM
This topic is basically saying everyone is sheep so you'll love it no matter what, when you're supposed to hate it, in advance, no matter what.

So true :lol :lol

Also, lots of "Anyone with an opinion that doesn't match mine totally sux dix and is teh stoopid."

Goro
10-16-2015, 11:57 AM
I posted two pictures and the other dude posted another. In none of the pictures she looks above a 7.
In post #70 she is at least an 8.

Goro
10-16-2015, 11:58 AM

Isn't the OP the guy that only likes nostalgic old stuff, including old time NBA players? He just hates anything modern.

DeuceWallaces
10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Couldn't you have just bumped one of your 10 other posts with the same shitty thesis?