PDA

View Full Version : Thunder and Dion Waiters talking extension.

Hey Yo
10-15-2015, 05:15 PM
"What Oklahoma City sees is a guy who can fit in their rotation

bluechox2
10-15-2015, 05:25 PM
they went from harden to waiters...rip

JerrySeinfeld
10-15-2015, 05:27 PM
18M a year for Kanter, working on getting Waiters signed... where was this money when Harden wanted his?

Their actions now are merely overcompensation for their past mistakes

/thread

Vaniiiia
10-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Dion is a fantastic young player. At 23, with his size, strength, and consistent effort on the defensive end, I'd say we got a steal.

Absolute gem. He's a big meaty boy with a fearless attitude. WE NEED MORE DAWGS!

Fudge
10-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Dion is a fantastic young player. At 23, with his size, strength, and consistent effort on the defensive end, I'd say we got a steal.

Absolute gem. He's a big meaty boy with a fearless attitude. WE NEED MORE DAWGS!
:applause:

Couldn't have said it better. Going to be another great move by the God Sammie P.

bluechox2
10-15-2015, 05:31 PM

JR smith lite...

LONGTIME
Presti... :facepalm

outbreak
18M a year for Kanter, working on getting Waiters signed... where was this money when Harden wanted his?

Their actions now are merely overcompensation for their past mistakes

/thread
The salary cap wasn't about to have it's largest increase ever when Harden was looking for a new deal. I think Kanter was over paid though and Dion isn't worth much, he's such an underwhelming player.

Foster5k
10-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Dion Waiters is a glorified role player. He couldn't mesh with LeBron and Kyrie in Cleveland and wanted to be a star. Now, he has to share the ball with Durant and Westbrook. Good luck with that Dion. Good luck.

However, OKC did get him for pretty much nothing. That's the only thing good I can say.

All Net
10-15-2015, 05:38 PM
bigger bone head than swaggy

4 Inches
10-15-2015, 05:39 PM
I hope he can get paid so he can spread some cheddar to his boys in Philly. Yo GOBB you bout to make it rain.

JerrySeinfeld
10-15-2015, 05:39 PM
JR smith lite...

He's a better slasher and playmaker than JR but a worse shooter, I don't think it's the best comparison.

I see his game as a poor mans Eric Gordon. If OKC's new coach can get him to stop shooting deep 2's he could prove to be a steal of a pick up. His season before LeBron showed up he looked pretty good, don't know what happened after that but it seems he didn't adapt well to LeBron ball

outbreak
10-15-2015, 05:43 PM
He's a better slasher and playmaker than JR but a worse shooter, I don't think it's the best comparison.

I see his game as a poor mans Eric Gordon. If OKC's new coach can get him to stop shooting deep 2's he could prove to be a steal of a pick up. His season before LeBron showed up he looked pretty good, don't know what happened after that but it seems he didn't adapt well to LeBron ball

As down on him as I am he was a steal pick up but whether or not he continues being a steal depends on how much they pay him in this new deal.

Foster5k
10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
As down on him as I am he was a steal pick up but whether or not he continues being a steal depends on how much they pay him in this new deal.
He's going to want a crap load of money. However, he's nothing more than a glorified role player. I wouldn't break the bank if I was OKC.

outbreak
10-15-2015, 05:52 PM
He's going to want a crap load of money. However, he's nothing more than a glorified role player. I wouldn't break the bank if I was OKC.
Yeah I agree with this, he's like 24 now too isn't it? I don't see him as someone with a bunch of untapped potential either.

JerrySeinfeld
10-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Lol if they give him 10M a year or anything ridiculous like that

Uncle Drew
10-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Waiters = Harden with better defense.

Foster5k
10-15-2015, 06:17 PM
:biggums:

JimmyMcAdocious
10-15-2015, 06:49 PM
You could pick up a scrub like Marcus Thornton or Jordan Crawford and get similar production with the same opportunity. I will never understand how anyone can hype this guy. Cavs fans, OKC fans, Waiters stans (such a thing?).

outbreak
10-15-2015, 06:52 PM

imdaman99
10-15-2015, 06:52 PM

But he does have better defense than Harden.

D-Wait
10-15-2015, 07:08 PM
You could pick up a scrub like Marcus Thornton or Jordan Crawford and get similar production with the same opportunity. I will never understand how anyone can hype this guy. Cavs fans, OKC fans, Waiters stans (such a thing?).

:roll:

Check my username :D When he was the 2nd best player on the Cavs I was really rooting for him...

You had to take every little bit of talent for granted considering how bad the Cavs were :lol

Not losing any sleep bout losing him though...
I was hoping he could become a good bench player, but that surely didn't work out with the current Cavs...

JerrySeinfeld
10-15-2015, 07:18 PM
:roll:

Check my username :D When he was the 2nd best player on the Cavs I was really rooting for him...

You had to take every little bit of talent for granted considering how bad the Cavs were :lol

Not losing any sleep bout losing him though...
I was hoping he could become a good bench player, but that surely didn't work out with the current Cavs...

One of my friends is a Cleveland fan and he wouldn't shut the **** about Waiters at the end of his 2nd year, talking about how he went on a tear after the ASB, posting all star 2 guard numbers and being poised to make a BIG splash in year 3... And then LeBron showed up and within a month or two he was traded out of Cleveland like Wiggins was.

I don't think he's in the tier of Thorton or Crawford like someone alluded to earlier. He has the talent to be good and OKC is notorious for developing guys, it's not crazy to think that his best ball is ahead of him in OKC now that they appear to have a decent HC. I think had they stuck with Brooks he wasn't going to turn any heads.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Thornton with opportunity on bad teams:
14.5 ppg, 12.8 ppg, 18.7 ppg, and 12.7 ppg seasons.

avg over those 4 seasons:
14.3/3.1/1.6 on .438/.365/.832 in 26.6 mpg.
Started 99 of the 269 games (36.8% of the games).

Hornets went 37-45 his rookie year.
Hornets went 27-19 before they traded him. Kings went 10-17 after trading for him.
Kings went 22-44 in his third year.
Kings went 28-54 in his fourth year.
.409 win pct.

Waiter's best season (and I'm only doing this because it's his best year and the other two years would actually drag down his numbers):
15.9/2.8/3.0 on .433/.368/.685 in 29.6 mpg.
Started 24 of 70 games (38.5% of the games).
Cavs went 33-49.

Waiters career:
14.7 ppg, 15.9 ppg, 11.8 ppg
14.0/2.5./2.6 on .414/.326/.705 in 28.6
Started 95 of 211 games (45% of the games)

Cavs 24-58
Cavs 33-49
Cavs 18-15 before trading him. OKC went 28-18 after trading for him.
Career .423 win pct

Waiters, btw 21-23 age. Thornton was 22-25. If you want, I can subtract that fourth season to get it closer. The fourth is actually his worst of the four, anyway.

They're comparable. Only difference is one was a 2nd round draft pick after a very successful college career (believe he was sec poy) and other was high lottery based on being a bench player in college.

AND, while looking up Marcus' numbers I learned he's Al Thornton's cousin. The more you know...

SwishSquared
10-15-2015, 08:15 PM

I see his game as a poor mans Eric Gordon. If OKC's new coach can get him to stop shooting deep 2's he could prove to be a steal of a pick up. His season before LeBron showed up he looked pretty good, don't know what happened after that but it seems he didn't adapt well to LeBron ballEh I can see why you'd make that comparison based on similar build/stature, but I don't see it in terms of play. Gordon has been a much better shooter than Waiters, even in his younger days. To Dion's credit, he shot well on C&S 3s during the 2013-2014 year, but that seemed to drop off last season. I also feel like Waiters has more explosion, even compared to a young Gordon.

If they give him close to Shumpert money, it's another overpay for a bench guy. If I'm his agent, though, I'm not budging on less than $12M/year. I feel he may get that as a RFA next summer based on a weak FA class.

With an attitude adjustment and focusing almost entirely on defense and spot-up shooting, Waiters could be a really useful role player. I'm not sure he gets that yet though.

bballbball
10-15-2015, 10:01 PM

But he does have better defense than Harden.

Harden top 10 in overall defensive win shares last season and top 5 overall in steals. 2nd in rebounds and 4th in blocks for all guards.

BlakFrankWhite
10-15-2015, 10:07 PM
:applause:

Payne, Waiters, Kanter, Adams

Future lookin bright

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-15-2015, 10:19 PM

Lebron's plague touch happens. Look at wade and bosh. Look at Love.

OKC stays losing.:lol :lol

Lebronxrings
10-15-2015, 10:53 PM
waiters sucks :lol

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Lebron made him suck :lol :lol

DukeDelonte13
10-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Waiters is immensely talented just stubborn as f*ck.

He's a hood rat. He doesn't listen. He butted heads at cuse his first year and had a great second season.

He played very well the second half of the season under Mike Brown. MB did do a lot of good for him and seemed to finally be connecting with him.

Byron Scott is a garbage coach but Dion certainly flashed and had his moments under him too.

Dion is NOT a spot up shooter. He's not a system guy. He's a ball dominant combo guard. He excels at playing off the dribble. I think the chucker label is unfair because he has a really nice drive and kick game and IMO actually had better court vision and was a more willing passer than Kyrie ever was.

The kid just won't listen though. He needs consistency. He needs the same coach for more than one season. He's a project, but i think whatever team sticks with him and works with him will be rewarded.