PDA

View Full Version : Has any other 'superstar' been held scoreless in a Finals game?

Hey Yo
10-19-2015, 09:53 PM
2013 Finals, game 7 Bosh scored ZERO points on 0-5 shooting.

Why does the so-called superstar get a pass?

Key role players Miller, Allen and Haslem also were held scoreless.

Birdman outscored them all combined, with 3pts.

GOAT performance by LeBron FTB2B

warriorfan
10-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Bosh isn't a superstar. He is a Scottie Pippen level type of player.

GoatBoy
Who told you Bosh was a superstar?

Thesmallmamba
3ball will never admit it, but Kukoc > Bosh and Horace Grant > Bosh as well

Rodman > Bosh also

Jordans 2nd option was better than Wade, and his 3rd - 5th options were better than Bosh

Thats before we even get into coaching differentials

Jordan isnt all that.

Lebron23
10-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Bosh is not an NBA Superstar. And LMAO at calling Bosh a Pippen type of player.

gigantes
10-19-2015, 09:58 PM
so what?

he was the 3rd-best player on that team, and was never a 'superstar' there, anyway.

now if he had laid an egg in any raps' playoff game, then that would be a big deal.

GoatBoy
10-19-2015, 10:00 PM
so what?

he was the 3rd-best player on that team, and was never a 'superstar' there, anyway.

now if he had laid an egg in any raps' playoff game, then that would be a big deal.
Raps playoff games didn't even exist during his tenure

PJR
10-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Lebron only scored 8 more points than Bosh did in game 7, in game 4 of the 2011 Finals :confusedshrug:

Rocketswin2013
10-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Says more about the Spurs defense to me.

Rocketswin2013
10-19-2015, 10:02 PM
:oldlol:

SouBeachTalents

:lol

Hey Yo
according to the board for his first 3yrs as a member of Miami he was.

plowking
10-19-2015, 10:03 PM

Naaaaahhhh bro.

Lebron23

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Al Jefferson won more playoffs games than Bosh as the main man of his team.

plowking

:roll:

Hey Yo
10-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Lebron only scored 8 more points than Bosh did in game 7, in game 4 of the 2011 Finals :confusedshrug:
Which means Bosh was a superstar, correct?

kennethgriffin
10-19-2015, 10:06 PM
has any other prime superstar ever colluded with 2 other prime superstars to be the 3rd option in a finals series

the only other possible guy is kevin love and he didn't play in his teams finals appearance

when we're talking about situations in which only 1 person qualifies. its hard to compare it to anything else

the heat are the only team in which 3 absolute prime superstars were on the same team in an nba finals

SouBeachTalents
10-19-2015, 10:07 PM
has any other prime superstar ever colluded with 2 other prime superstars to be the 3rd option in a finals series

Didn't happen in 2010 either

kennethgriffin
10-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Didn't happen in 2010 either

2010?

are you referring to old kg, pierce and allen?

none of them were in their prime

not even in 2008... at most pierce was still prime

Hey Yo
10-19-2015, 10:11 PM
the heat are the only team in which 3 absolute prime superstars were on the same team in 1 nba finals
Bosh was a prime superstar in 2013?

Thesmallmamba
10-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Odom playoff stats - 12/8

Bosh playoff stats - 12/6

Odom >> Bosh

Thesmallmamba
10-19-2015, 10:12 PM
I'll even go as far as to question whether Wade was a superstar or not

The 2010 "collusion" was nothing but LeBron joining a quasi-star in Wade, and a starter/role-player in Bosh

Big deal

SouBeachTalents
10-19-2015, 10:13 PM
2010?

are you referring to old kg, pierce and allen?

none of them were in their prime

not even in 2008... at most pierce was still prime

No, I was saying that scenario didn't happen in 2010. If we're to consider Bosh a "superstar", that opens up the floodgates of Abdur-Rahim, Jamison, Al Jefferson, Randolph etc. to be considered superstars.

Players like Boozer, Brand, and Amare were having huge playoff series and they were never considered superstars

kennethgriffin
10-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Odom playoff stats - 12/8

Bosh playoff stats - 12/6

Odom >> Bosh

wilt only averaged 14ppg in the 1972 playoffs

stats mean f*ck all when you play with 2 other guys averaging 25ppg each

the same situation was bosh's.. when 2 guys hog absolutely every possession. its hard to put up numbers

so the stats are subjective

same for odom and bosh. its obvious their stats were both constricted to say the least.

but when both guys are allowed to be the man. only one of them could put up superstar statistics

theres a reason why bosh is a 10 time allstar and odom never made a single one

BlakFrankWhite
10-19-2015, 10:17 PM

Thesmallmamba
10-19-2015, 10:18 PM
wilt only averaged 14ppg in the 1972 playoffs

stats mean f*ck all when you play with 2 other guys averaging 25ppg each

lol fail

Wade playoff stats - 15 ppg

Who was the other 25 ppg scorer?? :oldlol:

LeBron 27 ppg

Wade 15 ppg

Bosh 12 ppg

"3 superstars" :oldlol:

Its just LeBron and role players

kennethgriffin
10-19-2015, 10:19 PM
No, I was saying that scenario didn't happen in 2010. If we're to consider Bosh a "superstar", that opens up the floodgates of Abdur-Rahim, Jamison, Al Jefferson, Randolph etc. to be considered superstars.

Players like Boozer, Brand, and Amare were having huge playoff series and they were never considered superstars

bosh was a superstar though

he finished 7th in MVP voting before

he averaged 23/10 his last 5 years in toronto before going to miami

he started for the eastern allstars a bunch

he was a superstar

just because he was cuckolded by lebron for 4 years doesnt take away anything.

SouBeachTalents
10-19-2015, 10:20 PM
bosh was a superstar though

he finished 7th in MVP voting before

he averaged 23/10 his last 5 years in toronto before going to miami

he started for the eastern allstars a bunch

he was a superstar

just because he was cuckolded by lebron for 4 years doesnt take away anything.

Dude has missed the playoffs 6/8 seasons he's played without LeBron in the EAST, to go along with 1 All-NBA selection in 12 seasons. That's not a superstar resume, empty stats or not

JT123
10-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Only people who call Bosh a superstar are trolls. In 8 seasons without Lebron the guy has made the playoffs just twice, in the EAST! :oldlol:

Wade's Rings
lol fail

LeBron 27 ppg

Wade 15 ppg

Bosh 12 ppg

15.9 is now 15 ppg? :oldlol:

kennethgriffin
lol fail

LeBron 27 ppg

Wade 15 ppg

Bosh 12 ppg

when you have cole, miller, chalmers, battier all taking turns putting up 20 on separate occasions... its hard for the big 3 to all average 25 ontop of that

i'm sorry but history will look back at the situation as a colluded big 3 superstar trio rigged title team

whether you like it or not... their allstar games, all nbas, stats and future 1st ballot hall of fame nominations will put a big dildo up the a**'s of all lebron stans for life

collude*
ring chased*
lockout*
bailout*
Wade*
Bosh*
Allen*
2 for 6*

sdot_thadon
10-19-2015, 10:48 PM
when you have cole, miller, chalmers, battier all taking turns putting up 20 on separate occasions... its hard for the big 3 to all average 25 ontop of that

i'm sorry but history will look back at the situation as a colluded big 3 superstar trio rigged title team

whether you like it or not... their allstar games, all nbas, stats and future 1st ballot hall of fame nominations will put a big dildo up the a**'s of all lebron stans for life

collude*
ring chased*
lockout*
bailout*
Wade*
Bosh*
Allen*
2 for 6*
On the contrary I think you'll find that 10 years from now nobody will give a damn.

DonDadda59
10-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Dennis Rodman went from mid game 2 (think it was somewhere in the 2nd qtr) through late game 5 (think it was the 3rd) in the '97 Finals without scoring a field goal. He had 0 Pts/3 RBs in game 3, 0 Pts/6 RBs in game 4. He redeemed himself with a scorching 2 Pts/ 7 Rbs in game 5 (The legendary Flu Game)

He averaged 2.3 PPG (25% FG) and 7.7 RPG for the series.

GrapeApe
10-19-2015, 11:19 PM
I'll even go as far as to question whether Wade was a superstar or not

The 2010 "collusion" was nothing but LeBron joining a quasi-star in Wade, and a starter/role-player in Bosh

Big deal

How was Wade a "quasi-star" when he was a near consensus top 3 player in the league?

How was Bosh a "role player" as a 6x all-star coming off a 23/10 season?

As for the thread topic, Bosh is not and has never been a superstar. He's a solid all-star type player but not a legit championship caliber franchise player. He played out of position for 3 years for the betterment of the team, and despite struggling at times, he was a key contributor for 2 championships.

Bosh went from being a 1st option to a 3rd option while in his prime. How many players in history have had to make that transition? Yes I wish he was more physical and assertive at times, but he did a lot of things to help the Heat win that few players in the league were capable of. His midrange jumper, pick and roll defense, and defensive range are as good as any big in the league. People who understand basketball know that his impact went well beyond the stats.

RRR3
10-19-2015, 11:24 PM

Amar'e was, he's a 5x All-NBA guy IIRC including a first team.

From my memory:

Abdur-Rahim-0
Jamison-o
Bosh-1 2nd team
Jefferson-1 3rd team
Z-Bo-1 3rd team IIRC?
Brand-1 2nd team?
Boozer-1 3rd team?

RRR3
10-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Dennis Rodman went from mid game 2 (think it was somewhere in the 2nd qtr) through late game 5 (think it was the 3rd) in the '97 Finals without scoring a field goal. He had 0 Pts/3 RBs in game 3, 0 Pts/6 RBs in game 4. He redeemed himself with a scorching 2 Pts/ 7 Rbs in game 5 (The legendary Flu Game)

He averaged 2.3 PPG (25% FG) and 7.7 RPG for the series.
Rodman was a superstar?

DonDadda59
10-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Rodman was a superstar?

That's what I've been told. :confusedshrug:

GrapeApe
10-19-2015, 11:45 PM
lol fail

LeBron 27 ppg

Wade 15 ppg

Bosh 12 ppg

How many "role players" put up 32/6/6/4 on 60%TS in a pivotal finals game? Another game of 25/10/4/2. How many "role players" put up 21/9 with 2 stls and 23/10 with 2 blks in a pair of games 7's?

We all know Wade was injured and struggled for the early part of the playoffs, but he fought through it to come up big at crucial moments in crucial games. Lebron on the other hand shrunk on the biggest stage in 2011. I've said this many times, but if Lebron had stepped up in 2011 the way Wade did on 2013, the Heat win the series.

The Valley
10-19-2015, 11:46 PM

:biggums: :wtf: :facepalm

statman32
10-19-2015, 11:47 PM
That's what I've been told. :confusedshrug:

Rodman as a player was at best a star with one incredible gift. If someone considers him a superstar, it stems from his personality.

Mr. Jabbar
10-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Bosh isn't a superstar. He is just a superior Pau Gasol level type of player.

kennethgriffin
10-20-2015, 12:07 AM
inb4 bosh 2016 finals mvp

Prime_Shaq
10-20-2015, 12:08 AM
Bosh a superstar? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Underrated? Sure but he was NEVER a superstar

dhsilv
10-20-2015, 12:10 AM

Wow, shots fired! Never thought I'd see the day Pippen was insulted at THAT level!

La Frescobaldi
10-20-2015, 12:13 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????
??????????????????????????
?????????????????????????
????????????????????????
???????????????????????
??????????????????????
?????????????????????
????????????????????
???????????????????
??????????????????
?????????????????
????????????????
???????????????
??????????????
?????????????
????????????
???????????
??????????
?????????
????????
???????
??????
?????
????
???
??
?
what

dhsilv
10-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Does 1 all nba make you a super star? Wouldn't you need to at least have had that season the year prior? He's a multiple time allstar and he's a lock for the hall of fame, but the hall of fame has guys like Joe Dumars in it. It isn't at test for being a super star.

I'd be more inclined to actually give Rodman the super star status given he made 2 3rd team all nba's and won 2 defensive player of the year awards. Though even that's a pretty good stretch.

GrapeApe
10-20-2015, 01:16 AM
Does 1 all nba make you a super star? Wouldn't you need to at least have had that season the year prior? He's a multiple time allstar and he's a lock for the hall of fame, but the hall of fame has guys like Joe Dumars in it. It isn't at test for being a super star.

I'd be more inclined to actually give Rodman the super star status given he made 2 3rd team all nba's and won 2 defensive player of the year awards. Though even that's a pretty good stretch.

Depending on your interpretation of the word, Rodman may be classified as a superstar. To me, in terms of on-court play only, a superstar is a player you can build championship team around. That's loosely defined of course and the criteria for what makes a player capable of being "the man" on a championship team is subjective, but that's generally how I view it. I think Bosh could hypothetically be the leading scorer for a championship team, but the team would have to be constructed in a way that at least one other player would have an equal or greater overall impact.

There's also a non-basketball related component of being a superstar, usually traits such as popularity, media presence, marketability, etc. Past-prime players like Kobe and Wade are still superstars in that sense. In Rodman's case, his notoriety and weirdness may have propelled him to superstar status.

Magic 32
10-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Has any other team been so stacked that a superstar was asked to only to play defense and set screens?

Thesmallmamba
10-20-2015, 01:24 AM
Has any other team been so stacked that a superstar was asked only to play defense and set screens?

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/509178d0eab8ea932c00000d-800-600/dwight-howard-lakers-what.jpg

Magic 32
10-20-2015, 01:28 AM
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/509178d0eab8ea932c00000d-800-600/dwight-howard-lakers-what.jpg

Sorry. 18 ppg and his superstar teammate gave him the ball.

GrapeApe
10-20-2015, 02:03 AM
Has any other team been so stacked that a superstar was asked to only to play defense and set screens?

I'm not sure I'd call a team with Joel Anthony as their starting center "stacked". After 2011 they had to have Bosh play out of position for 3 years to fill a void. Again, hardly stacked. I've never understood the "stacked" rationale. They were top heavy with talent, but a very flawed roster 1-12. They had no size and were routinely killed on the boards, as well as by the opposition's bench. Bosh was asked to do things he was not comfortable with because there was no other option. When Bosh or Wade were injured or when any of the big 3 underperformed, the Heat struggled severely. That's not the mark of a stacked team.

dhsilv
10-20-2015, 02:15 AM
Depending on your interpretation of the word, Rodman may be classified as a superstar. To me, in terms of on-court play only, a superstar is a player you can build championship team around. That's loosely defined of course and the criteria for what makes a player capable of being "the man" on a championship team is subjective, but that's generally how I view it. I think Bosh could hypothetically be the leading scorer for a championship team, but the team would have to be constructed in a way that at least one other player would have an equal or greater overall impact.

There's also a non-basketball related component of being a superstar, usually traits such as popularity, media presence, marketability, etc. Past-prime players like Kobe and Wade are still superstars in that sense. In Rodman's case, his notoriety and weirdness may have propelled him to superstar status.

I try and keep the media stuff out of these things, but certainly the term would generally lend itself to what you're saying.

As for the concept of building around. The 04 Pistons have shown us all that you can build around anyone as long as you have enough pretty darn good guys. Guys like Rodman and Bosh have a combined 7 NBA titles so yeah you can build with them.

I like a simple all nba standard adjusted for (what did you do lately) until you're a perennial all nba guy. Though perhaps I'm just making the concept too difficult?

Either way Bosh doesn't pass the smell test for me. Rodman kinda passes but he's not passing the eye test if you will.

DoctorP
10-20-2015, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure I'd call a team with Joel Anthony as their starting center "stacked". After 2011 they had to have Bosh play out of position for 3 years to fill a void. Again, hardly stacked. I've never understood the "stacked" rationale. They were top heavy with talent, but a very flawed roster 1-12. They had no size and were routinely killed on the boards, as well as by the opposition's bench. Bosh was asked to do things he was not comfortable with because there was no other option. When Bosh or Wade were injured or when any of the big 3 underperformed, the Heat struggled severely. That's not the mark of a stacked team.

That's true, they were more stacked after getting Allen, Battier, Chris Anderson...

GrapeApe
10-20-2015, 04:16 AM
That's true, they were more stacked after getting Allen, Battier, Chris Anderson...

Those guys made the team better and certainly deeper, but I wouldn't say the addition of 3 past-prime players made them stacked. That 2013 team was great though, no doubt, and they needed strong contributions from those players to get past an outstanding Spurs team.

Goro
10-20-2015, 05:05 AM
2013 Finals, game 7 Bosh scored ZERO points on 0-5 shooting.

Why does the so-called superstar get a pass?

Key role players Miller, Allen and Haslem also were held scoreless.

Birdman outscored them all combined, with 3pts.

GOAT performance by LeBron FTB2B

Because most teams don't have 3 superstars unless LeBron colludes with them.

LamarMatic
10-20-2015, 06:39 AM
John Stockton scored 2 points in that infamous 40-point Bulls blowout in 1998.

Even though he was in his late 30s, Stockton was still relatively close to being an all-star level type of player because of his longevity. That's probably the closest you're going to get to a Top50 player of all-time scoring so few points when it's not an occasion of him already being washed up.

Because if we're looking for such examples, Gary Payton had some absolutely horrendous games in the '04 Finals. And, actually, one might say that he had some left in the tank, it's just that the fit was so bad with him on that Lakers team.

SouBeachTalents
10-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Bosh is the only player I can think of that can go two presidential terms without making an All-NBA team and still be considered a superstar

Paul George 24
10-20-2015, 07:32 AM
wade carried lebron in 2013 :applause: