PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Tristan Thompson agrees to 5 year $82 million deal

VengefulAngel
10-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes 7m7 minutes ago
#Cavs, Tristan Thompson agree to 5-year, $82 million deal, league sources tell @clevelanddotcom.

LoneyROY7
10-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Cash them checks, boi.

Fallen Angel
Legit forgot he existed

VengefulAngel
Cash them checks, boi.

Being friends with LBJ pays the big bucks.

Hey Yo
10-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Sam Amico ‏@AmicoHoops 52 seconds ago
Rich Paul, agent for Tristan Thompson, has confirmed Northeast Ohio Media Group report of contract agreement with Cavs.

overpaid, but wouldn't be the first time for them.

Trollsmasher
10-21-2015, 07:03 PM
damn, Cavs got raped considering they had all the leverage

inclinerator
10-21-2015, 07:04 PM
stacked

Cocaine80s
10-21-2015, 07:04 PM
We president now

Uncle Drew
10-21-2015, 07:05 PM
82 million is insane for an 8/8 player. Nonetheless, happy TT is back.

Fallen Angel
10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Cavs taking another L.

https://twitter.com/cavsdan/status/656964184689786880

WHAT ARE THOSE

Mr. Jabbar
10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
We Already Won Baby!!!! We Already Won!!

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Holy shit most overpaid player in NBA history :oldlol:

I'd take current Gilbert Arenas contract (where hes not even playing) over this in terms of value

I have one question to people who think this was a good deal, why didnt Kwame Brown also get a 5 year 82M contract for averaging 8/8??

VengefulAngel
10-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Cavs taking another L.

WHAT ARE THOSE

Jesus Christ, Cav's are bloody crazy, might as well vomit on the jersey's instead.

Meticode
10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
There was almost no doubt the Cavs were going to pay him. it's either pay him, eat the luxary tax, try to get your best chance to win a title, or not pay him and he walks and you get nothing in return except a little financial relief. The last thing you want is for it to drag out and be a distraction during the season.

Uncle Drew
Cavs taking another L.

WHAT ARE THOSE
Dan isn't just trolling. This is straight satire. What the actual **** are those.

FireDavidKahn
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dan Gilbert is such a moron. LBJ has his nuts in a vice grip.

bigkingsfan
Dan Gilbert cries himself to sleep every night.

Uncle Drew
10-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Dude has so much money he doesn't nor shouldn't even care. I wouldn't mind being in his shoes.

VengefulAngel
10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Chris Broussard ✔ @Chris_Broussard
Agent Rich Paul says Cavs and Tristan Thompson agree to 5-year deal worth $82 million. Fully guaranteed

Chris Broussard can confirm guys, :lol :lol :lol :lol

I was quicker than this pile of shit.

LoneyROY7
10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Them plaid jerseys dooeeee. :roll:

PLEASE LET THOSE BE THE ONES.

Meticode
10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Holy shit most overpaid player in NBA history :oldlol:

I'd take current Gilbert Arenas contract (where hes not even playing) over this in terms of value

I have one question to people who think this was a good deal, why didnt Kwame Brown also get a 5 year 82M contract for averaging 8/8??
Not saying TT is deserving of the contract but was Brown ever considered the best offensive rebounder in the league when second chance points are a premium in the league?

Meticode
10-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Why? I hope you don't mean money wise? His net worth is 4.5 billion dollars. :oldlol:

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 07:19 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/NBA_Trophy2.png

midatlantic09
10-21-2015, 07:20 PM
They should have let him walk completely. He's the type of player who can easily be replaced. Basically just an energy guy.

bigkingsfan
10-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Why? I hope you don't mean money wise? His net worth is 4.5 billion dollars. :oldlol:
I should put a sarcastic emoticon so you imbecile would get it.

outbreak
10-21-2015, 07:25 PM
:facepalm

fiddy
10-21-2015, 07:27 PM
hahhahahah
Thanks for the laugh doe

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 07:29 PM
LeBrons the only player in NBA history whos expected to win with a 8/8 player as his 3rd option :oldlol:

warriorfan
10-21-2015, 07:30 PM
lebron needs more help

Meticode
10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
I should put a sarcastic emoticon so you imbecile would get it.
Yes, these things aren't detectable over the internet because tone of voice is what gives it away.

G0ATbe
10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Most stacked team of all time, hands down.

Meticode
10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
If we're completely healthy...

Mozgov/Varejao/Kaun
Love/Thompson
LeBron/Jefferson/Jones
Shumpert/J.R.
Irving/Mo/Delly

RRR3
10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Wow. Stupid. The Cavs don't need him anyways, what the **** haha.

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 07:34 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dan Gilbert is such a moron. LBJ has his nuts in a vice grip.

Yea...what an idiot.

He just locked up a 24 year old that hasn't peaked to 5 years that fits perfectly with his team and likely gives them a title or two over that stretch.

oh...and he's making less per year than wes matthews...rofl

this is just a good contract for the Cavs...16 million a year for TT going forward for 5 years is great.

aj1987
10-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Holy shit! $16M for a hustle dork? Charles Barkley is crying right now. :oldlol:

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Let's be honest. The only reason he got his money is because he plays with LeBron James. This guy is as overrated as they come.

DonDadda59
10-21-2015, 07:36 PM
This is officially the era of the role player. Dudes are winning Finals MVPs and getting PAID. :bowdown:

Is that Old Man River Walk I see in that reflection? :eek:

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Let's be honest. The only reason he got his money is because he plays with LeBron James. This guy is as overrated as they come.

LeBron has gotten so many scrubs paid :oldlol:

TT 16M a year

Dellavedova 4m a year

Shumpert 10M a year

I swear no one has ever heard of TT, delly, Shump, Love, Irving, but now that they play with LeBron theyre making a combind 80M a year :oldlol:

Derka
$16 million per when the new salary cap hits is going to be chump change. Lots of guys of Thompson's caliber are going to be making similar money.

bigkingsfan
Yes, these things aren't detectable over the internet because tone of voice is what gives it away.
Because making fun of a multi billionaire giving out 82 million doesn't give it away...

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 07:39 PM
This is officially the era of the role player. Dudes are winning Finals MVPs and getting PAID.
In other words, the LeBron era.

chips93
10-21-2015, 07:40 PM

TT 16M a year

Dellavedova 4m a year

Shumpert 10M a year

I swear no one has ever heard of TT, delly, Shump, Love, Irving, but now that they play with LeBron theyre making a combind 80M a year :oldlol:

:biggums:

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 07:42 PM
I can live with this overpay, even if it meant placating Rich Paul's horrendous negotiating technique. At the end of the day, 5/$82m is about what I expected.

I'm glad to have Tristan back in the fold. I'd be happy if I never heard Paul's name again.

TT 16M a year

Dellavedova 4m a year

Shumpert 10M a year

Do you follow basketball or no? :oldlol:

MP.Trey
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
If we're completely healthy...

Mozgov/Varejao/Kaun
Love/Thompson
LeBron/Jefferson/Jones
Shumpert/J.R.
Irving/Mo/Delly
F*cking stacked.

DaOldLion
10-21-2015, 07:44 PM
4 max contract players all in their primes?

Championship or bust.. like seriously

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 07:45 PM
F*cking stacked.

Not really, all it takes is 1-2 injuries and the Cavs turn from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Canton Charge (as evident in the finals)

Its still all on LeBron to carry this team to the championship

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Dan Gilbert is basically telling the world, "Look, I gave LeBron everything he wanted. If he can't win the championship, it's on him. Not me!"

The ball is now back in LeBron's court. It's up to him to deliver the goods now. Dan Gilbert is officially off the hot seat. The guy has bent over backwards to get LeBron whatever he needs to win. No more excuses.

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 07:47 PM
I can live with this overpay, even if it meant placating Rich Paul's horrendous negotiating technique. At the end of the day, 5/$82m is about what I expected.

I'm glad to have Tristan back in the fold. I'd be happy if I never heard Paul's name again.

Honestly don't even think it's an overpay going forward. It is by maybe 10 percent this coming year...and then after that it's just not.

If Chandler Parsons and Wes Matthews are making about the same and aren't locked up as long...along with many many other players I could list making at or near that amount...it's just not an overpay given the market and where it is going.

And honestly that is before you even start factoring in fit and role and benefit to this team.

RedBlackAttack
Not really, all it takes is 1-2 injuries and the Cavs turn from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Canton Charge (as evident in the finals)

Its still all on LeBron to carry this team to the championship
Erm, isn't every team in the league a few injuries away from being non-contenders? The difference is, as long as one of those injuries isn't to LeBron James, you still have an outside shot.

Any other team in the league that loses two Olympic-level players isn't going to make the Finals and steal two games once there. I feel confident in saying that.

DaOldLion
Dan Gilbert is basically telling the world, "Look, I gave LeBron everything he wanted. If he can't win the championship, it's on him. Not me!"

The ball is now back in LeBron's court. It's up to him to deliver the goods now. Dan Gilbert is officially off the hot seat. The guy has bent over backwards to get LeBron whatever he needs to win. No more excuses.

great point

there is nothing else you could realistically do to make this team better, it is 100% on the players and coach to win a championship, they have the most talented roster in the league..

they will have the 3 best players on the floor for every series of the eastern conference playoffs..

no excuses

DoctorP
10-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Win now mode. No ****s given.

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
great point

there is nothing else you could realistically do to make this team better, it is 100% on the players and coach to win a championship, they have the most talented roster in the league..

they will have the 3 best players on the floor for every series of the eastern conference playoffs..

no excuses

agreed...but mostly because they play in the east where they get a free pass fo the finals.

they would not be such overwhelming favorites if they had to play in the West where 2 rounds of the playoffs before the finals would be in doubt. not that they wouldn't win, it would just be much much much harder to win the title coming from the West.

chips93
10-21-2015, 07:50 PM

only semi related, but do you know what happened to world wide wes?

only a couple years ago he was supposedly lebron's mysterious right hand man, with influence across the league, now we dont hear anything about him anymore.

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Woah everyone calm down, whats with all the "no excuses, championship or bust"?

Are you guys telling me that freaking TT is the difference between "contention" and "no excuses, stacked"??? :lol

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 07:52 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3352467/lebron-dancing-hatersss-o.gif

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lebron-james-dancing-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4591133/lebron-james-celebration-o.gif

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Are you guys telling me that freaking TT is the difference between "contention" and "no excuses, stacked"??? :lol

They had the best chance to win before this. They had a loaded beyond belief team and play in a horrendous conference.

This just puts them even more over the top...TT doesn't make them go from contenders to favorites...they already were the favorites.

r0drig0lac
10-21-2015, 07:53 PM

this

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Honestly don't even think it's an overpay going forward. It is by maybe 10 percent this coming year...and then after that it's just not.

If Chandler Parsons and Wes Matthews are making about the same and aren't locked up as long...along with many many other players I could list making at or near that amount...it's just not an overpay given the market and where it is going.

And honestly that is before you even start factoring in fit and role and benefit to this team.
I can get on board with that.

At the end of the day, the Cavs negotiated several serious landmines in Love, Shumpert, Thompson and Smith and came out the other side with all four in the fold, while reinforcing the bench.

In the end, Love and Shumpert -- the two I was most concerned about -- ended up being the easiest. Smith and Thompson really put Griffin and Gilbert to the test. They ended up calling Smith's bluff and watching him backpedal into a contract for less than his option.

They also allowed Thompson and his agent to throw tantrums, threaten that they were going to take the qualifying offer (then watched it pass), and demand ridiculous numbers. They didn't flinch and essentially signed him to the deal that they offered four months ago.

Now, they've locked up the team's core longterm the year before the cap (and therefore salaries) completely explode.

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
http://www.becauseinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/lebron-harlem-shake.gif

L8krH8tr
I never bought the whole "no excuses" thing, but this is for sure that.

Thesmallmamba
They had the best chance to win before this. They had a loaded beyond belief team and play in a horrendous conference.

This just puts them even more over the top...TT doesn't make them go from contenders to favorites...they already were the favorites.

I understand you're dissappointed with the Mavs constant 1st round losses, but this underrating of the East has to stop

Did you know the Cavs had to beat a 50 win team and 60 win team (basically without their 2nd and 3rd best players) JUST to make the finals?

Hows that coasting? They had a harder path than the Warriors to the finals

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 07:56 PM

You're an idiot if you think that without Thompson the Cavs would win a championship. With Thompson, they have the pieces needed to win as long as LeBron delivers. LeBron said he's the best player on Earth. PROVE IT!

DoctorP
10-21-2015, 07:57 PM
You're an idiot if you think that without Thompson the Cavs would win a championship. With Thompson, they have the pieces needed to win as long as LeBron delivers. LeBron said he's the best player on Earth. PROVE IT!

He's already proven himself, where the hell have you been?

TrueBlue89
10-21-2015, 07:58 PM
:lol :lol :lol

What land do these morons live in?

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 07:58 PM
I understand you're dissappointed with the Mavs constant 1st round losses, but this underrating of the East has to stop

Did you know the Cavs had to beat a 50 win team and 60 win team (basically without their 2nd and 3rd best players) JUST to make the finals?

Hows that coasting? They had a harder path than the Warriors to the finals

This has nothing to do with the Mavs.

If you can't realize how big the disparity is....you just aren't being intellectually honest.

I didn't say the Warriors had a harder path...even though I think they did...I said the East is much worse. Which it is....it's a fact. I'm not going to debate facts.

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 07:59 PM
They just need a healthy Irving, and Shumpert in the 2nd half of the season. I hope they sign Cunningham. He's an instant offense of the bench aka a Poor Man's Monta Ellis.

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 08:00 PM
only semi related, but do you know what happened to world wide wes?

only a couple years ago he was supposedly lebron's mysterious right hand man, with influence across the league, now we dont hear anything about him anymore.
Yeah, it is weird the way he has dropped off. I would assume that the creation and growth of LRMR probably took away some of his influence. I also remember reading a few years ago that he and LeBron were at odds.

I'll see if I can find the article.

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 08:00 PM
This has nothing to do with the Mavs.

If you can't realize how big the disparity is....you just aren't being intellectually honest.

I didn't say the Warriors had a harder path...even though I think they did...I said the East is much worse. Which it is....it's a fact. I'm not going to debate facts.

Contenders in each conference

West:

Spurs

Warriors

OKC

Clippers

East:

Cavs

Hawks

Heat

Bulls

Looks about the same to me :confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
10-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Contenders in each conference

West:

Spurs

Warriors

OKC

Clippers

East:

Cavs

Hawks

Heat

Bulls

Looks about the same to me :confusedshrug:

Really? Looks about the same? Outside of the Cavs...

Spurs, Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Clippers are all better than any team in the East...

And contenders are not the only thing that can make life difficult on teams....playing better teams throughout the season can take it's tole both in the regular season and in the first / 2nd round of the playoffs.

Last post on this...nobody in the basketball world without an agenda refutes the large conference disparity...

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Chips,
This was way back in 2010:

William Wesley, LeBron James and the "rift" (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17921/william-wesley-lebron-james-and-the-rift)

Then this was a few years later:

Source: LeBron, William Wesley Rarely Speak Anymore (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227402/Source-LeBron-William-Wesley-Rarely-Speak-Anymore)

It doesn't completely explain why he is so rarely talked about in NBA circles these days... but it also does seem like LeBron may have had a role in diminishing his power.

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Not with the Cavs. He proved he could join a super team and basically coast to the Finals and win in a lock out season vs OKC whose best player he befriended in the off-season and then was saved by a miracle 3 from Ray Allen in 2013.

When things got tough, in Miami, LeBron ran back to Cleveland. Pat Riley basically said as much. He had this whole I'm coming home campaign. In reality, it's the only place he could go without looking like a complete ring chaser.

Rocketswin2013
10-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Not with the Cavs. He proved he could join a super team and basically coast to the Finals and win in a lock out season vs OKC whose best player he befriended in the off-season and then was saved by a miracle 3 from Ray Allen in 2013.

When things got tough, in Miami, LeBron ran back to Cleveland. Pat Riley basically said as much. He had this whole I'm coming home campaign. In reality, it's the only place he could go without looking like a complete ring chaser.
So he needs to prove he can win with a stacked team...Again?

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 08:09 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/2zjgyhj.jpg

:applause:

poido123
10-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Smart move to lock him up.

Can't win championship without him.

KirbyPls
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Breaking news: :cry: :mad: :rant

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Forgot to add...

http://i58.tinypic.com/k9yi41.jpg

Great to have him back.

BurningHammer
10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Happy for him. Cavs will have a very tough time managing the cap in the future.

LeBron pulling a David West maybe? :D

DukeDelonte13
10-21-2015, 08:19 PM
if it brings in a championship it's worth every penny.

TT has been getting underrated lately. No, he is not worth this contract in the open market. However that does not take away from the fact that he's an elite defensive big man that gives the cavs a ton of versatility on how they defend. He's a rebounder other teams have to game plan for. The guy is a key piece to the machine. Overpay or not, at the end of the day, Gilbert is willing to spend the money to give the cavs the best chance to win. Can't complain.

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
As I said before, I don't want to hear any excuses from Lebron or his camp. Dan Gilbert has open the vault and let it rain. He's done his job as an owner. It's time for LeBron to be the so called Chosen One, as he has tattooed on his back, and win a damn ring for the city of Cleveland. He did promise them a ring and then bolted to Miami with his super friends Wade and Bosh.

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I can see this team as hungry as the 2012 Miami Heat going into the season, and playoffs.

Cavaliers vs. Thunder is a dream finals.

Beastmode88
10-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Lol how much is their luxury tax this season?

Clifton
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Am I missing something? Is this not almost the exact same contract Cavs offered him 4 months ago, before all the Rich Paul contract stuff? How is this an L for the Cavs?

He's overpaid, but he was always going to be overpaid. The Cavs are not a strong organization. Lebron James has made them strong. That brings with it certain burdens: i.e., you have to pay the players he likes.

Considering he was pushing for 94 mil, I'd say they've done well. What Rich Paul was pushing for, they didn't cave on. They save a lot of face here IMO.

Plus, now with Tristan, his contribution, and his chemistry with James, the Cavs solidify themselves as title favorites.

And best believe Dan Gilbert and the Cavs will still be making money. They will be in the Finals for the next 4 years, with the most profitable player in the NBA on board for the long haul. They won't have to do another thing but sign trustworthy vets for the minimum to win 2 or 3 titles before the decade's through.

RedBlackAttack
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Happy for him. Cavs will have a very tough time managing the cap in the future.

LeBron pulling a David West maybe? :D
Gilbert is going to be paying the luxury tax. That much is obvious. But, the cap is also about to explode next year. A contract worth 5/$82m right now will be relatively commonplace in a couple years.

The other thing is, the Cavs' core (including all of its young pieces) are now signed longterm. The only key players on the team that are not signed for the foreseeable future are LeBron and Mozgov.

Where the Cavs could have potentially found themselves in a mess is if they would have had Love sign a 1 or 2-year deal (he didn't), overpaid Smith when he declined his player option (they didn't) or not called TT's bluff on the QO (they did).

For all that has been said, this offseason has been a massive success for the Cavs. The biggest thing was locking up Love for five years, so it was already pretty much a win right off the bat. There is no way they'd be able to sign both Love and Mozgov next year with the cap going nuts.

The rest was just icing. And, let's not forget that they have Haywood's $12m contract to play with at the deadline to potentially add another piece.

Am I missing something? Is this not almost the exact same contract Cavs offered him 4 months ago, before all the Rich Paul contract stuff? How is this an L for the Cavs?

He's overpaid, but he was always going to be overpaid. The Cavs are not a strong organization. Lebron James has made them strong. That brings with it certain burdens: i.e., you have to pay the players he likes.

Considering he was pushing for 94 mil, I'd say they've done well. What Rich Paul was pushing for, they didn't cave on. They save a lot of face here IMO.

Plus, now with Tristan, his contribution, and his chemistry with James, the Cavs solidify themselves as title favorites.

And best believe Dan Gilbert and the Cavs will still be making money. They will be in the Finals for the next 4 years.

Correct. Again, two players actually tried to bluff their way into bigger contracts with the Cavs this offseason (Thompson and Smith). Both failed. The Cavs did just fine.

Beastmode88
10-21-2015, 08:32 PM
I can see this team as hungry as the 2012 Miami Heat going into the season, and playoffs.

Cavaliers vs. Thunder is a dream finals.

Why not Spurs vs Cavs? Seeing how it would be more fitting for Lebron to get his "revenge".

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Why not Spurs vs Cavs? Seeing how it would be more fitting for Lebron to get his "revenge".

Why not Spurs vs Knicks?

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 08:34 PM

Thunder are a dangerous team when Durant is healthy. And they also have a loaded bench.

I also want the Spurs cause I want LeBron to beat Duncan again before he retires in the NBA.

Clifton
10-21-2015, 08:34 PM
The rest was just icing. And, let's not forget that they have Haywood's $12m contract to play with at the deadline to potentially add another piece.
I forgot about that.

Deadly in theory, but usually these expirers aren't used. The Cavs will win 15 of their first 20 games and stay pat IMO. But if someone gets injured long-term they can replace him.

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 08:35 PM
The only key players on the team that are not signed for the foreseeable future are LeBron and Mozgov.
Keyword is LeBron. If the Cavs don't win the title, Bron might try to collude with Anthony Davis up in New Orleans. And before you say yeah right, remember this is the same guy that promised Cleveland a championship and then ran to Miami at the first sign of trouble.

Lebron23
10-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Keyword is LeBron. If the Cavs don't win the title, Bron might try to collude with Anthony Davis up in New Orleans. And before you say yeah right, remember this is the same guy that promised Cleveland a championship and then ran to Miami at the first sign of trouble.

Lebron will retire in Cleveland. He's in a much better situation right now. Davis has zero playoffs series wins, and the Pelicans are fighting for the no. 8 and 9 seed in the West.

Only reason they made the playoffs last year because Durant was injured.

Meticode
10-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Cavs taking another L.

WHAT ARE THOSE
Those are fake alternates Gilbert posted as a joke. The real alternates are here...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/cavaliers/sites/default/files/jersey-reveal-151021-1142x250.jpg

Akrazotile
10-21-2015, 08:41 PM
It's not a terrible contract juxtaposed against the big increase in the CBA this year, and then even bigger one next year. Salary cap was at like 55 mil not that long ago, now its at 80, soon itll be at 100. That 16m/yr will be more like a 9m contract would have been just a few years ago.

Clifton
If the Cavs don't win the title, Bron might try to collude with Anthony Davis up in New Orleans. And before you say yeah right, remember this is the same guy that promised Cleveland a championship and then ran to Miami at the first sign of trouble.
Nah.

He understands how it is. He left once and now he's come back home. He knows what will become of his legacy and his brand if he leaves again. He's too old, been around too long.

He won't be remembered as a ring chaser for The Decision because he was in his prime and the best player in the world when he made it. If he tried it again in his 30s, it would be a huge stain on his name.

He's taking these one year deals to maximize his income and keep the Cavs honest so they don't take him for granted. Realistically the Cavs will keep their end of the bargain (they have everything to gain, and they've already invested the highest payroll ever into this) and Lebron will keep his.

ballup
Those are fake alternates Gilbert posted as a joke. The real alternates are here...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/cavaliers/sites/default/files/jersey-reveal-151021-1142x250.jpg
Aside from the Ronald McDonald jersey, those are solid.

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Nah.

He understands how it is. He left once and now he's come back home. He knows what will become of his legacy and his brand if he leaves again. He's too old, been around too long.

He won't be remembered as a ring chaser for The Decision because he was in his prime and the best player in the world when he made it. If he tried it again in his 30s, it would be a huge stain on his name.

He's taking these one year deals to maximize his income and keep the Cavs honest so they don't take him for granted. Realistically the Cavs will keep their end of the bargain (they have everything to gain, and they've already invested the highest payroll ever into this) and Lebron will keep his.
We'll see.

JellyBean
10-21-2015, 08:46 PM
:facepalm Wow. This dude put up 8/8 and now will be making $16 million a season? :confusedshrug:

Kiddlovesnets
10-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Terrible move, cavs could've waited for a few weeks or even months till Tristan Thompson became desperate, and then he would sign with something like 5 yr/$60m contract.

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 08:50 PM
:facepalm Wow. This dude put up 8/8 and now will be making $16 million a season? :confusedshrug:

Finally someone understands :roll:

Why isnt Javale McGee getting a $100M contract?

Joel Anthony deserves like $10M a year now

Foster5k
Obviously, Tristan Thompson is overpaid. However, in the current NBA market and considering the cap will rise in the future, the Cavs seemed to make the best possible move for their team going forward.

JohnMax
http://i.imgur.com/0An4Sfc.gif

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 09:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0An4Sfc.gif
LeBron: "Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7 role players I will make Finals MVP. At the end of the day, I'm rich bitch!"

phone rings...

Tristan Thompson: "I'm rich too bitch!"

LeBron: "Rich Paul the truth! Got my role players rolling in dough."

Tristan Thompson: "Salute to Rich Homie Paul."

LeBron: "Nah, for real though. You know I'm the reason you got that bread right?"

Meticode
10-21-2015, 09:07 PM
Terrible move, cavs could've waited for a few weeks or even months till Tristan Thompson became desperate, and then he would sign with something like 5 yr/$60m contract.
That's a horrible move for the Cavs to do that and drag it out. Last thing you need during a title run is that type of distraction that alienates an important player away from the team/fans.

JT123
10-21-2015, 09:08 PM

TT 16M a year

Dellavedova 4m a year

Shumpert 10M a year

Don't forget Bosh. :oldlol:
Bron not only got Riley to draft a shitty point guard, but also massively over pay Chris Bosh. Bron is the greatest troll of all time, and it's not even close. :bowdown:

Beastmode88
10-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Don't forget Bosh. :oldlol:
Bron not only got Riley to draft a shitty point guard, but also massively over pay Chris Bosh. Bron is the greatest troll of all time, and it's not even close. :bowdown:

Lebron is a top 5 of all time troll. Let 2 teams celebrate the finals win on his home floor. LeGod :bowdown:

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Lebron is a top 5 of all time troll. Let 2 teams celebrate the finals win on his home floor. LeGod :bowdown:
Lmao.

LeBron loses a Finals and his stans blame the role players. Meanwhile, the team that won role player wins Finals MVP for guarding LeBron.

That LeBron stan logic.

JT123
10-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Still bitter about 2012 I see? :lol

Hey Yo
10-21-2015, 09:33 PM
agreed...but mostly because they play in the east where they get a free pass fo the finals.

they would not be such overwhelming favorites if they had to play in the West where 2 rounds of the playoffs before the finals would be in doubt. not that they wouldn't win, it would just be much much much harder to win the title coming from the West.
What team in the West won 60 games, with 4 all-stars and got swept in the WCF by the other team w/o their 2nd and 3rd best players?

JT123
10-21-2015, 09:35 PM
This signing makes the Cavs a little better, but the team is still far from being favorites. Love is basically still a playoff virgin, and Kyrie is still basically a Finals virgin.
If people honestly expect an aging and injured Lebron to win a chip with 2 players COMPLETELY LACKING IN EXPERIENCE then they must think he's ten times the player MJ was. :eek:

aj1987
10-21-2015, 09:37 PM

He follows LeBron. I wouldn't be surprised if he never heard of Shump before the trade.

F*cking stacked.
I wish I could say the say about the Heat. I hope r14mohd is right and we get KD.

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 09:40 PM
This signing makes the Cavs a little better, but the team is still far from being favorites. Love is basically still a playoff virgin, and Kyrie is still basically a Finals virgin.
If people honestly expect an aging and injured Lebron to win a chip with 2 players COMPLETELY LACKING IN EXPERIENCE then they must think he's ten times the player MJ was. :eek:

:applause: :bowdown:

brownboyfly
10-21-2015, 09:43 PM
go Hawks.

Beastmode88
10-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Still bitter about 2012 I see? :lol

Bitter? 2/6.

stalkerforlife
10-21-2015, 10:05 PM
No excuses.

BlakFrankWhite
10-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Everyone was laughing at Kanter's deal

And Kanter is twice the player Thompson is.

D-Wait
10-21-2015, 10:08 PM

And Thompson is twice the defender Kanter is.

stalkerforlife
10-21-2015, 10:10 PM

OKC would be MUCH better with TT over Kanter.

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 10:11 PM
OKC would be MUCH better with TT over Kanter.

Lol, u trolling Justin?

Kwame Brown and TT are the same type of player

stalkerforlife
10-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Lol, u trolling Justin?

Kwame Brown and TT are the same type of player

Get real. Kanter is a liability on defense and that's an understatement. OKC nor the Cavs need scoring. They NEED defense and rebounding.

BlakFrankWhite
10-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Get real. Kanter is a liability on defense and that's an understatement. OKC nor the Cavs need scoring. They NEED defense and rebounding.

No, we needed low post scoring...if we didn't we'd have kept Perkins

Thesmallmamba
10-21-2015, 10:14 PM

And TT provides neither :confusedshrug:

Straight_Ballin
10-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Bitter? 2/6.

Poor letard stan can't even get a word in and you shut him down with the "2/6". :roll:

stalkerforlife
10-21-2015, 10:17 PM
And TT provides neither :confusedshrug:

You must not watch or understand basketball.

Foster5k
10-21-2015, 10:19 PM
If you're over 6ft and can dribble a basketball, LeBron can get you a max contract in the NBA. LeMidasTouch

HylianNightmare
10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
I still don't see what's so special about him

Nash
10-22-2015, 01:19 AM
If you're over 6ft and can dribble a basketball, LeBron can get you a max contract in the NBA. LeMidasTouch
what if you're a 5-10 white guy

Bankaii
10-22-2015, 01:24 AM
A TT signing thread turns into yet another Lebron thread, the trolls here are so insecure:facepalm

Anyway congrats to TT. He's overrated himself a little too much but I guess hard work does pay off:applause:

houston
10-22-2015, 01:32 AM
lebron needs more help

yep he does lol

NBASTATMAN
10-22-2015, 02:15 AM
Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes 7m7 minutes ago
#Cavs, Tristan Thompson agree to 5-year, $82 million deal, league sources tell @clevelanddotcom.

Cant even make a 5ft jump shot with regularity.. Man I wish I was born taller.. :roll:

If Lebron wasnt on that team he would be lucky to b getting 8 million a year... Pau only got 8 and he is a much better player..

All Net
10-22-2015, 02:30 AM
Least he's signed

Means less of a distraction for them now

bdreason
10-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Overpaid.

dhsilv
10-22-2015, 02:40 AM
There was almost no doubt the Cavs were going to pay him. it's either pay him, eat the luxary tax, try to get your best chance to win a title, or not pay him and he walks and you get nothing in return except a little financial relief. The last thing you want is for it to drag out and be a distraction during the season.

But he couldnt' walk....even if he sat the whole year, they'd still have the right to match any offer.

Thesmallmamba
10-22-2015, 02:40 AM
Funny thing is both J.R and TT thought they could play the market :oldlol:

J.R wanted $10M and TT wanted $20M a year

Yet Dan forced them to sign for $4m and $16M

Only LeBron gets to pick his contract :applause:

Gileraracer
10-22-2015, 02:49 AM
Cavs taking another L.

WHAT ARE THOSE

Ugly as sh*t

@ Topic: TT is now the most overpaid human being ever.

ballinhun8
10-22-2015, 03:34 AM
82 mil for a backup.....

Wow

CarlosBoozer
10-22-2015, 03:40 AM
Imagine how ripped off the players from the 80's and the 90's feel after witnessing this :lol

Asiantastic
10-22-2015, 04:06 AM
what if you're a 5-10 white guy

Then you're stuck on ISH claiming Bran>Jordan>Kobe

2swift4u
10-22-2015, 05:08 AM
82m is definitely too much. I like how he plays the game and he's a valuable piece for them but something like 5 years $60m would have been more realistic.

90sgoat
10-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Thompson is actually not a good defender. Can't guard strong players down low and has questionable help defense, often looking lost. Add to that he actually doesn't always box out. TT is basically an offensive rebounding specialist, someone like Popeye Jones. Nigguh got paid that's for sure.

D-Wait
10-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Thompson is actually not a good defender.

In comparison to Kanter, he is. That's all I wanted to express.
I know that TT is an average defender in the league as a whole.

RidonKs
10-22-2015, 10:06 AM
thompson is worth every penny of that contract

he is a rare bird

Hey Yo
10-22-2015, 10:46 AM
dumb

RedBlackAttack
10-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Thompson is actually not a good defender. Can't guard strong players down low and has questionable help defense, often looking lost. Add to that he actually doesn't always box out. TT is basically an offensive rebounding specialist, someone like Popeye Jones. Nigguh got paid that's for sure.
He is really good at one specific aspect of defense which has become incredibly important in today's NBA, and that is an ability to defend the P&R. You had to see it all playoffs long unless you just didn't watch. He was able to stick with his man like glue on screens when the defense called for that and he was able to switch out onto perimeter players (mostly point guards) when the defense called for that.

Today's league is all about versatility and what happens when you are taken out of your comfort zone. TT handled it as well as anyone in the 2015 playoffs. Contrast that with Mozgov, whom I also really like... but he basically couldn't be on the floor when Golden State went small. His best asset -- protecting the rim -- was neutralized after being screened (or sometimes they would just play Green or Iggy at center) and he was pulled away from the rim where he wasn't comfortable, followed by a bevy of open shots and an open lane.

They couldn't do that with TT in there because he is as good a defender away from the rim as he is near it, which is why he was able to play so many crucial minutes in those Finals. Even when switched onto Curry, it wasn't a walk in the park.

To just make a blanket statement that "he isn't good on defense" after what he showed really all season but especially in the playoffs is disingenuous. He is really good at some things and not as good at others. He isn't a great rim protector (though better last year) and his post defense is good, not great. He can sometimes get overpowered if matched against a really good offensive center, but there are so few of those guys today that it doesn't matter too much.

Meanwhile, he is the most skilled offensive rebounder in the league.

Those are the main reasons he got paid, along with being young, literally never missing a minute of action, great locker room presence, and a willingness to work on the game and do whatever the game plan calls for.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
TT is no where near worth this much. The most I woiuld have given him personally would be 5 year $60 million.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Imagine how ripped off the players from the 80's and the 90's feel after witnessing this :lol

Can't even imagine. Especially if they're broke.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-22-2015, 11:02 AM

Being too modest. More like triple or quadruple. Kanter is a HORRIBLE defender. As a GM, I wouldn't even consider him in the free agency because he's that bad on defense.

Pointguard
10-22-2015, 11:29 AM
They are in a better position for GS. But SA is going over the top... or around the bigger guys.

I<3NBA
10-22-2015, 12:04 PM
it was a good decision, because at best, they're just losing money. at worst, they might regret letting him walk away and he turned out to be the second coming of Rodman, even if it was a poor man's version of Rodman.

chips93
10-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Chips,
This was way back in 2010:

William Wesley, LeBron James and the "rift" (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17921/william-wesley-lebron-james-and-the-rift)

Then this was a few years later:

Source: LeBron, William Wesley Rarely Speak Anymore (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227402/Source-LeBron-William-Wesley-Rarely-Speak-Anymore)

It doesn't completely explain why he is so rarely talked about in NBA circles these days... but it also does seem like LeBron may have had a role in diminishing his power.

yeah, I cant find anything online about why they split. its all very strange, he was supposed to be pulling strings all across the league back in 2010, but nobody has mentioned him in years now.

Nash
10-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Then you're stuck on ISH claiming Bran>Jordan>Kobe
and what if you're 5-5 asian dude?

All Net
10-22-2015, 01:30 PM
They are in a better position for GS. But SA is going over the top... or around the bigger guys.
Are they? With what high flyers?

Flower_
07-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Well well well! Good contract after all :)

KnicksFan11
07-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Well well well! Good contract after all :)

Always thought he was being overpaid. Now after the increase in cap space , this is a steal :lol

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Yea...what an idiot.

He just locked up a 24 year old that hasn't peaked to 5 years that fits perfectly with his team and likely gives them a title or two over that stretch.

oh...and he's making less per year than wes matthews...rofl

this is just a good contract for the Cavs...16 million a year for TT going forward for 5 years is great.

FLDFSU
07-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Do gotta admit you nailed this one.

Flower_
07-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Respect!

DirkNowitzki41
07-01-2016, 04:57 PM

:cheers:

TT deal looking very good. A great rebounding big who is very mobile and can defend 1-5 and able to switch onto players from steph to jimmy buckets to KD. Perfect C for small ball.

instrumental to the cavs chip

DMAVS41
07-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Kind of a funny quote by me because I was so wrong about TT early on. RBA got my head on straight and then after watching him a lot last year...it was just obvious he fit great on that team and with the cap exploding this year and next....his price was never gonna be an issue.

Thanks for the props, but when I made that post...it was obvious and easy. When it wasn't...I was dead wrong about TT.

I thought the Cavs should have moved him.