PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West: Michael Jordan would be 'wonderful' as NBA logo.

ClipperRevival
10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/22/jerry-west-michael-jordan-nba-logo

Thoughts? I think it's about time for a change. MJ is clearly the new standard for greatness.

The only issue I see is that the Jumpman logo is a huge brand already and I don't know if MJ/Nike will want to relinquish that logo for the entire league to use.

references
10-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Doesn't he get blown enough? The logo is more than Jerry West. It represents the league and basketball since forever. No need to change it and undermine history. F*ck the Jumpman. Keep that shit on those overpriced sneakers.

Dragonyeuw
10-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Was West's logo ever 'the' standard for greatness though? Because if that was the case, you'd think Wilt or Russell's silhouette would have been used at that time.

sportjames23
10-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Doesn't he get blown enough? The logo is more than Jerry West. It represents the league and basketball since forever. No need to change it and undermine history. F*ck the Jumpman. Keep that shit on those overpriced sneakers.

Why your jimmies rustled, breh?

AirFederer
10-23-2015, 10:52 AM
What about Manute Bol?

catch24
10-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Replacing it with "Jumpan" would feel way too corporate for me.

Keep the Logo man, West is just being modest.

RidonKs
10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/bzPH7mT.jpg

ClipperRevival
10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Was West's logo ever 'the' standard for greatness though? Because if that was the case, you'd think Wilt or Russell's silhouette would have been used at that time.

Not really the standard for greatness as him being on the logo was almost as much circumstances as it was greatness but my point is, MJ came along and took the game to another level both on and off the court. So from that aspect, I see no problem with the NBA going with a new logo. But I completely understand people just wanting to leave it as it is.

Legends66NBA7
10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Nah, the logo is a classic. I would rather they keep it the way it is.

DoctorP
10-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Jerry West...shut up!!

Dragonyeuw
10-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Not really the standard for greatness as him being on the logo was almost as much circumstances as it was greatness but my point is, MJ came along and took the game to another level both on and off the court. So from that aspect, I see no problem with the NBA going with a new logo. But I completely understand people just wanting to leave it as it is.

True, but I'd personally just rather leave it alone. The imagery is too iconic at this point. Plus, the Jumpman is attached to Nike so for that reason alone it wouldn't be used, so you'd have to go with a new logo entirely. I understand the premise, but this is one of those things best left as they are.

Derka
10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Jumpman is such a Jordan-specific thing...even with all of the players under the Jordan brand, it still doesn't seem appropriate for the league-wide logo. West's logo is classic and perfect.

ClipperRevival
10-23-2015, 11:16 AM
True, but I'd personally just rather leave it alone. The imagery is too iconic at this point. Plus, the Jumpman is attached to Nike so for that reason alone it wouldn't be used, so you'd have to go with a new logo entirely. I understand the premise, but this is one of those things best left as they are.

Yup, no issue leaving it as is but if the NBA decided to come up with an MJ logo (maybe not the Jumpman logo), I would be fine with it also.

WayOfWade
10-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I'd be fine with it, but if we're being serious...
The Logo > the Jumpman
Logo specific of course, seeing as MJ>>>>>West,

90sgoat
10-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Best Keep West.

WayOfWade
10-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Yup, no issue leaving it as is but if the NBA decided to come up with an MJ logo (maybe not the Jumpman logo), I would be fine with it also.
I agree, I wouldnt have an issue with it, but the original logo is better than absolutely anything else they could come up with.

Sarcastic
10-23-2015, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see them change it, but not to Jumpman. They should use a silhouette of another dunk or a fadeaway jumper of his.

DCL
10-23-2015, 11:36 AM
jordan has a loooong way to catch west as an nba executive

sportjames23
10-23-2015, 11:37 AM
jordan has a loooong way to catch west as an nba executive

What does that have to do with the logo? The logo was made well before West became the GOAT GM.

DCL
10-23-2015, 11:50 AM
What does that have to do with the logo? The logo was made well before West became the GOAT GM.

i think west's legendary success in basketball AFTER he hung up his shoes kinda cemented his status as the NBA logo even more.

he kicked so much ass as a player AND executive in the league. even at his age now, he's still bringing the tradition of winning to organizations that didn't have that tradition.

Megabox!
10-23-2015, 12:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bzPH7mT.jpg
:applause: :applause: :bowdown:

sdot_thadon
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
What image would they use? I'm sure they wouldn't use the jump man for obvious business reasons. The free throw line dunk? It'd be a nice gesture but I don't think it's totally necessary. If they did I know it'd be strange to see for a while.

kennethgriffin
10-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Just rename the scoring title "the michael jordan award"

Thats enough