PDA

View Full Version : Better player: Curry or Iverson?

JohnMax
10-23-2015, 01:05 PM
What's your hot take?

Heavincent
10-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Curry

Uncle Drew
10-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Curry
Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

Jordan or Curry?

ISHGoat
10-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Curry >> Iverson

Put Iverson on that Warriors team and they get bounced in the second round.

ClipperRevival
10-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Curry is the truth. The game has never seen a guy with his stroke, release and accuracy when you consider his volume. He was just blessed with a gift to shoot like that. But you add in his handles, ability to break down defenders and take it to the rack and draw the D and get others involved along with his ability to excel off ball? Just means he is very impactful.

AI is pound for pound the GOAT player and is one of the most explosive scorers ever but his heavy usage style was not conducive to winning. I take Curry without hesitation.

Uncle Drew
10-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Curry >> Iverson

Put Iverson on that Warriors team and they get bounced in the second round.
Same argument can be made for Curry on the '01 Sixers team.

Legends66NBA7
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Same argument can be made for Curry on the '01 Sixers team.

Interesting argument because that would mean they could possibly lose to the Raptors in the 2nd round.

Vince Carter =/> Curry ?

kshutts1
10-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Iverson is, currently, ranked higher on the GOAT rankings. But I'm not sure it will stay that way.

And the Warriors with Iverson would not have won the title, just like the Sixers with Curry would not have made the Finals. That doesn't tell us anything.

DaOldLion
10-23-2015, 01:29 PM
people don't understand how good Curry is.

there is nobody in the game now, or ever, that can do what he does beyond the 3pt line.

his style of play is changing basketball

AirFederer
10-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Curry is a much better shooter, passer, team player and a not a let me get mine guy. AI is a legend, but not one I'd want to build a franchise around.
Also, let's talk about practice

Akrazotile
10-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Iverson is, currently, ranked higher on the GOAT rankings.

On yours, apparently. Not on mine and many others.

If a player is better than someone by their fifth or sixth year, then thats it. I dont need to wait until hes been around 10 years to acknowledge what I can already see now.

Uncle Drew
10-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Interesting argument because that would mean they could possibly lose to the Raptors in the 2nd round.

Vince Carter =/> Curry ?
VC definitely caught fire that series, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Either Milwaukee or Toronto, I doubt Curry could make things happen like AI did. Because, don't forget, AI had to play his fcuking heart for 22 straight games, where he had to average close to 48 minutes for the entire playoffs(!).

GIF REACTION
10-23-2015, 01:31 PM

there is nobody in the game now, or ever, that can do what he does beyond the 3pt line.

And it is even more crazy to think there's this guy called Lebron James who owned him in the finals

It's crazy to think how good a 270 pounds, 6-9, 44 inch vert, 4.3 40, 500 pound bench, elite passing, player that can play all 5 positions exists. THAT'S the real phenomenon here

ArbitraryWater
10-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Curry, easy for me.

ClipperRevival
10-23-2015, 01:35 PM

The game has never seen a guy quite like Curry. And what makes his shooting so sick is he makes it look effortless. It's just so pure. It's a God-given talent. That's one of the signs of true greatness, making greatness look effortless. Every shooter in the NBA would like to have his release and shot.

IGOTGAME
10-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Obviously curry. I've heard over the last few days he is better than Magic and more dominant than Shaq.

Next time at least make a fair comparison

RidonKs
10-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Obviously curry. I've heard over the last few days he is better than Magic and more dominant than Shaq.

Next time at least make a fair comparison
its amazing how much you can consistently underrate a guy already making a case for greatest shooter of all time...

IGOTGAME
10-23-2015, 01:41 PM
its amazing how much you can consistently underrate a guy already making a case for greatest shooter of all time...

Also one of those quotes was from a dude that works for an NBA team and another was from a forum.

Have never questioned his shooting ability. I was actually lobbying for LA to trade valuable assets to move up to draft him. I has always high on him.

But this has gotten out of hand.

kshutts1
10-23-2015, 01:44 PM
On yours, apparently. Not on mine and many others.

If a player is better than someone by their fifth or sixth year, then thats it. I dont need to wait until hes been around 10 years to acknowledge what I can already see now.
Fair enough. But longevity factors in to my GOAT rankings.

Do you rank Durant ahead of Nique or Pippen or Drexler?
Would your answer change if Durant breaks his foot again, in the first game of this season? And is never again the same player that he was pre-injury?

feyki
10-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Too early for Curry . Curry's peak better but career Iverson.

RidonKs
10-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Also one of those quotes was from a dude that works for an NBA team and another was from a forum.

Have never questioned his shooting ability. I was actually lobbying for LA to trade valuable assets to move up to draft him. I has always high on him.

But this has gotten out of hand.
its his shooting combined with other rare talents

- hard working off ball play including setting screens
- constant motion into open space
- quick decisions with the ball, rarely overdribbling
- constant threat to step back with goat quick release

he's also just smart and savvy. can execute plays with precision but unafraid to hijack it if he thinks he has a shot. plus he's got the tim duncan mindset of team first, which brings out the best of his teammates.

i really think he's the whole package. future top 15 player.

IGOTGAME
10-23-2015, 01:57 PM
its his shooting combined with other rare talents

- hard working off ball play including setting screens
- constant motion into open space
- quick decisions with the ball, rarely overdribbling
- constant threat to step back with goat quick release

he's also just smart and savvy. can execute plays with precision but unafraid to hijack it if he thinks he has a shot. plus he's got the tim duncan mindset of team first, which brings out the best of his teammates.

i really think he's the whole package. future top 15 player.

I disagree with so much of this. But only time will tell.

Biggest disagreement is on his jump shot form and release being a positive...

SHAQisGOAT
10-23-2015, 01:57 PM
At both their best, I'd take Curry...

Akrazotile
10-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Fair enough. But longevity factors in to my GOAT rankings.

Do you rank Durant ahead of Nique or Pippen or Drexler?
Would your answer change if Durant breaks his foot again, in the first game of this season? And is never again the same player that he was pre-injury?

Is he higher than those guys? Probably, altho I havent sat down and really thought about it. Tbh I dont have Durant ranked as high all time as many do already bc I think theres still some question about how consistently his regular season dominance carries over into the playoffs. But I'm basing that on his performance, not the actual number of rings or fmvp or any official "achievement."

But I think hes a lot like Dirk in that for a little while, it was possible for stout, undersized and aggressive defenders to take him out of his game. Eventually Dirk figured out how to deal with that and his reliability in big spots went way up.

But if Id take Durant over any particular player now, then Im not gonna change that going forward. For me personally I value peak over longevity, especially the way the NBA is designed, where your best bet is to either get a GOAT or get a lottery ticket. Even if I have a great player for a short period of time, I can go for chips in that window and then start over again. Plus, a guy being hurt doesnt change how good he was. If Durant is BETTER than someone else, then hes better. Even if he plays five less years. For me GOAT rankings are about ranking impact. I dont tend to value 'resumes' as much.

All Net
10-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Steph is the complete package

DukeDelonte13
10-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Steph is a system PG and AI is just a baller.

You can put AI on any team in the league and he'll get his. I don't think you can say the same for steph.

All Net
10-23-2015, 02:08 PM
What has system got to do with how good Steph is? The best shooter ever would be great in any league system. He's rather unguardable in any team

RidonKs
10-23-2015, 02:10 PM

You can put AI on any team in the league and he'll get his. I don't think you can say the same for steph.
he'd get his on the cavs

plus every other team in the league lol

do name a team he wouldn't gel with since you think he's such an odd cog

Akrazotile
10-23-2015, 02:27 PM

:biggums:

inclinerator
10-23-2015, 02:31 PM
not sure, would like to see him on a weak team to see if he has the stamina/durability to put up big numbers

Heavincent
10-23-2015, 03:03 PM
I disagree with so much of this. But only time will tell.

Biggest disagreement is on his jump shot form and release being a positive...

Bankaii
10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
As players AI is easily better. Better in iso, better scorer, better finisher, better defender, more aggressive. The only thing Steph has is pure shooting and passing.
Better PG would bra closer debate.

Steph is a system PG. The Warriors didn't win shit until Klay, Draymon, and Iggy all stepped up, along with Kerr implementing the right system.

Put Steph on the 2001 76ers and get bounced before the ECF, yet alone stealing a win from Shaq and the Lakers. Curry has little impact on bad teams.

The Warriors winning last year has overrated the hell out of Curry. Dude is arguably not even a top 5 player in the league right now.

IGOTGAME
10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
not sure, would like to see him on a weak team to see if he has the stamina/durability to put up big numbers
Do his ankles hold up under the load other stars have had to play?

IGOTGAME
10-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Gets little elevation, low release and shoots a set shot.

juju151111
10-23-2015, 03:19 PM

The system is made around Curry nimnuts

dunksby
10-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Steph is the complete package
Not so much of a midrange game though, people call him the GOAT shooter which is absurd, he gets a lot of help from the screens too.

Sarcastic
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
It really depends on the era. Put Curry in a tougher defensive era where he would get clutched and grabbed like Iverson did, and he probably retires after a few years of the beatings.

Curry is obviously the better shooter, and is able to excel in this easier defensive era. Although Iverson would get to the rim at will if he got to play now.

Fallen Angel
10-23-2015, 03:29 PM
he gets a lot of help from the screens too.
So?

All Net
10-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Not so much of a midrange game though, people call him the GOAT shooter which is absurd, he gets a lot of help from the screens too.
And Ray and reggie didn't? Steph can get his own easily though unlike those two.

LoneyROY7
10-23-2015, 03:54 PM
AI would leave Curry lying naked in a cold puddle of sweat if they ever matched up 1on1.

warriorfan
10-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Adding more midrange to his game right now would be detrimental. When you can stroke 3's like Curry you shouldn't be replacing those for contested 2's... The reason most players settle for mid to long 2's is because they don't have reliable enough range to be launching from three.

Right now no point guards are putting up as many points on as few of shots as Curry and his team just won the championship. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

warriorfan
10-23-2015, 04:00 PM
AI would leave Curry lying naked in a cold puddle of sweat if they ever matched up 1on1.

If they are playing by 1's and 2's Curry will win.

LoneyROY7
10-23-2015, 04:02 PM
If they are playing by 1's and 2's Curry will win.

Maybe. Depends on who gets the ball first.

stalkerforlife
10-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Curry.

Iverson was a tough little dude, but Curry has the capability to be the 2nd GOAT PG.

Smoke117
10-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Curry for the simple reason that he's a much more intelligent and unselfish player.

juju151111
10-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Adding more midrange to his game right now would be detrimental. When you can stroke 3's like Curry you shouldn't be replacing those for contested 2's... The reason most players settle for mid to long 2's is because they don't have reliable enough range to be launching from three.

Right now no point guards are putting up as many points on as few of shots as Curry and his team just won the championship. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Why are you guys acting like Curry is a bad midrange shooter

knicksman
10-23-2015, 08:23 PM

this. the guy is a revolutionary. Players before create in the midrange while curry extend that to the 3pt line. The guy is a winner while ai swapped with billups and denver improves while detroit sucked.

Cold soul
10-23-2015, 09:03 PM
I'll take Curry everytime but career as of today Iverson.

1987_Lakers
10-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I've never been a big Iverson fan, in a pick up game on the street then you take Iverson with no hesitation, but in a team game Iverson is a guy who I might pass on, he was an ISO player who had great scoring abilities, but because of his size he was an inefficient scorer and it didn't help that he didn't have PG skills where he would get others involved, his assist/TO ratio was pretty bad.

Curry is not the dynamic scorer Iverson was, but he is WAY more efficient, he is the greatest shooter in NBA History & is more of a team guy.

Vaniiiia
10-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Curry getting so overrated. :roll:

All this hyperbole is hilarious.

He's not a top 5 player, probably never will be

90sgoat
10-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Both overrated.

SHAQisGOAT
10-23-2015, 09:57 PM
I've never been a big Iverson fan, in a pick up game on the street then you take Iverson with no hesitation, but in a team game Iverson is a guy who I might pass on, he was an ISO player who had great scoring abilities, but because of his size he was an inefficient scorer and it didn't help that he didn't have PG skills where he would get others involved, his assist/TO ratio was pretty bad.

Curry is not the dynamic scorer Iverson was, but he is WAY more efficient, he is the greatest shooter in NBA History & is more of a team guy.

3pt shooter? Probably or most likely... Overall shooter? That turns into a - not a small - maybe...

Let's also not underrated Iverson on this thread, btw.

tpols
10-23-2015, 10:01 PM
comparing the two is like Favre to rodgers.. sometimes intelligence > heart

1987_Lakers
10-23-2015, 10:12 PM
comparing the two is like Favre to rodgers.. sometimes intelligence > heart

That's not a bad comparison, Favre was one of the funnest players to watch, but he sometimes made some throws that ended in an INT that made you think "wtf was he thinking?", but that same "**** it" mentality resulted in a bunch of amazing plays. Rodgers is a ****ing surgeon, he never makes mistakes and his accuracy is out of this world.

1987_Lakers
10-23-2015, 10:15 PM
3pt shooter? Probably or most likely... Overall shooter? That turns into a - not a small - maybe...

Well there is no doubt IMO that Curry is on his way to become the greatest 3 point shooter ever, we don't see him take much mid-range shots because he is so dominant from 3 point land.

I see Iverson as the greatest scoring small guard the NBA has ever seen, a true HOF player, but in a team game I've never been a fan personally.

Smoke117
10-23-2015, 10:16 PM

It's impossible to underrate the most overrated NBA player of all time.

houston
10-24-2015, 12:24 AM
curry no doubt

Kobe_6/8
10-24-2015, 01:53 AM
Iverson. He is much more unique than Curry, and forces coaches to gameplan around him.

Curry is a great player. Each of their success depends largely on the team around them...2001 6er's don't make the finals with Curry and the 2015 Warriors don't with Iverson.

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/allen-iverson-stepover-tyronn-lue-allen-iverson-step-over.jpg

http://c.smimg.net/15/24/640x480/stephen-curry-lebron-james.jpg

warriorfan
10-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Iverson. He is much more unique than Curry, and forces coaches to gameplan around him.

Curry is a great player. Each of their success depends largely on the team around them...2001 6er's don't make the finals with Curry and the 2015 Warriors don't with Iverson.

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/allen-iverson-stepover-tyronn-lue-allen-iverson-step-over.jpg

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

G0ATbe
10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
:lol Love this pic.

Replay32
10-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Curry

dunksby
10-24-2015, 05:34 PM
And Ray and reggie didn't? Steph can get his own easily though unlike those two.
Curry might become the GOAT 3pt shooter but his midrange is not so good to warrant calling him the GOAT shooter. Anyway as an overall player Iverson>Curry but as a shooter Curry>Iverson.

Fallen Angel
10-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Iverson. He is much more unique than Curry
How is Iverson more unique?