PDA

View Full Version : Who's the most famous person you've hooped with?

stalkerforlife
10-23-2015, 10:02 PM
I used to regularly play pickup ball with a guy that once shot around with Scott Skiles.

How about you guys?

SouBeachTalents
10-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Jordan

TripleA
I used to regularly play pickup ball with a guy that once shot around with Scott Skiles.

How about you guys?

I have played a pickup games with Terrence Jones a couple times and also I played against Steve Blake in a pickup game.

Penny37
Used to play a lot of pickup with Henry Bekkering

Marchesk
10-23-2015, 10:08 PM
There was this kid who used to come to Rucker. I think his nickname was the doctor or something. Dude could seriously sky. Not quite like Earl, but close. Would make NBA players look silly.

Except Wilt

FreezingTsmoove
10-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Ive been on my basketball team every year in my life but in my NY conference no one really goes anywhere. Once played with a guy who averaged 30/10/5 in our division but he ended up going to a community college after graduation because his team went 8-8 that season.

Did meet an old guy at my park in my teen years who played against Kareem. He said Kenny Smith used to shoot fade away out of bound 3 pointers on the court I was standing on and Kenny Anderson was the fastest guy on the court every time he played in the park

smoovegittar
10-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Charles Smith. All the time back in the day.

stalkerforlife
10-23-2015, 10:17 PM
I have played a pickup games with Terrence Jones a couple times and also I played against Steve Blake in a pickup game.

Blake would've clocked you had you gotten overly aggressive.

NZStreetBaller
10-23-2015, 10:20 PM
My mate reggie. Hes got 541 friends on facebook. Ive known him my whole life. But it still get bervous meeting him.:bowdown:

outbreak
10-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin

TripleA
10-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Blake would've clocked you had you gotten overly aggressive.

He was real cool dude. All he did was chuck threes and passed and he made everyone except for one. Terrence Jones on the other hand trash talked and snarled. He was ridiculously dominant. He went to school with my brother.

bigkingsfan
10-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Yolanda Griffith

KG215
10-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Sonny Weems.

WayOfWade
10-23-2015, 11:04 PM
I've played with Erik Mika, starting center for BYU. We went to high school together, and even played frisbee together

LoneyROY7
10-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Tim Hardaway Jr. at U of Miami gym.

You're not supposed to dunk on the indoor gym hoops...of course the dude dunked like 5 times.

Akrazotile
10-23-2015, 11:21 PM
qrich

ShaqTwizzle
10-23-2015, 11:21 PM
I hooped with J. J. Redick once.
I think.

GrapeApe
10-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Eddie Jones, although we never played any actual games or anything, just shooting around and stuff like that. My family is friends with his family, and two of my older cousins grew up with him and played ball with him at Ely high.

As a kid (like 8 years old) I went to a Heat game with Grant Long's charity and got to shoot around with the team, but I'm not sure if that really counts.

Duffy Pratt
10-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Played a pickup game with Al and Dick Maguire at a friend's bar mitzvah when I was 13. I also used to play regularly with Rick Pitino in another friend's backyard, back when Pitino was playing high school ball for St. Dominick's. Unfortunately, he was not supplying hookers on the playground at the time.

LBJFTW
10-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Melvin Levett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY3TV3vgs7k

brownmamba00
10-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Khalid El Amin

Dude was fat AF but still quick and lights out from deep

raprap
10-24-2015, 12:21 AM
I think I played ty lawson on 2k14

FKAri
10-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Prince

Naero
10-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Korie Lucious (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korie_Lucious), whose junior and senior years in high school overlapped with my freshman and sophomore years in co-attendance at Pius XI high school in Milwaukee

Bankaii
10-24-2015, 12:48 AM
I play at a gym that Eric Bledsoe has been to a few good times in the offseason. NBA players' speed is ridiculously faster IRL than on TV.

Boogie has been there before too but I never actually played on the court with him.

stalkerforlife
10-24-2015, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Naero]Korie Lucious (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korie_Lucious), whose junior and senior years in high school overlapped with my freshman and sophomore years in co-attendance at Pius XI high school in Milwaukee

3ball
10-24-2015, 01:17 AM
I dunked on Zach Randolph 4 times in a row when he was a sophomore in a game of 1-on-1.

Dunked on Luke Walton with 2 hands in a game of 2-on-2 with his brother Chris, and Richard Jefferson.

Dunked on R Kelly's whole crew... Many, many more... Oh wait just supposed to list 1

poido123
10-24-2015, 01:34 AM
Plowking.

Doesn't get more famous than that on ISH

Smook A.
10-24-2015, 02:06 AM
One of my good friends is muslim and he saw Hakeem at a Mosque. This was around 2010-2011. In shock, I couldn't believe him so he brought me along one time. I brought a basketball just in case (there were hoops literally right next to the Mosque). So my friend went in to go pray (I stayed in the car) and about 10 minutes later he came running out, opened the car door and yelled "dude! dude! Hakeem is there! Come! Come!". I rushed out the car and as soon as I did, Hakeem just finished his prayer and came out the Mosque.

He was HUGE. Though of course, he was being surrounded by a good amount of the people there, but you could tell the man didn't really wanna be bothered. I still went ahead and asked him if he wanted to play basketball, but at the same time I was about to pee my pants cause I was LITERALLY right in front of one of my childhood heroes. At first, Hakeem smiled and kinda shook me off, but then more people started begging him to come shoot some hoops... and so he did. Let me tell you this, Hakeem STILL HAS IT! Since then, I've seen him a couple more times and im pretty sure he knows who I am by now. I'm a lucky man.

Westbrook0
10-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Blake Griffin

Westbrook0
10-24-2015, 02:38 AM
One of my good friends is muslim and he saw Hakeem at a Mosque. This was around 2010-2011. In shock, I couldn't believe him so he brought me along one time. I brought a basketball just in case (there were hoops literally right next to the Mosque). So my friend went in to go pray (I stayed in the car) and about 10 minutes later he came running out, opened the car door and yelled "dude! dude! Hakeem is there! Come! Come!". I rushed out the car and as soon as I did, Hakeem just finished his prayer and came out the Mosque.

He was HUGE. Though of course, he was being surrounded by a good amount of the people there, but you could tell the man didn't really wanna be bothered. I still went ahead and asked him if he wanted to play basketball, but at the same time I was about to pee my pants cause I was LITERALLY right in front of one of my childhood heroes. At first, Hakeem smiled and kinda shook me off, but then more people started begging him to come shoot some hoops... and so he did. Let me tell you this, Hakeem STILL HAS IT! Since then, I've seen him a couple more times and im pretty sure he knows who I am by now. I'm a lucky man.

This is a joke, right? You didn't seriously bother a person with your petty requests at his PLACE OF WORSHIP?

MoBe1Kanobi
10-24-2015, 03:11 AM
Isiah Thomas the new one (kinda trash)

Bobby Jackson (GOAT)

And a handful of NFL players I don't watch football tho so I don't know who they are but my homes are pretty hyped over it kind of

Noyze
10-24-2015, 03:22 AM
A few for me.

Played against Luke Walton and his younger brother a few times. I went to Mission Bay and they played for Uni, a private school in San Diego Linda Vista area.

Played with Steve Kerr for about 10 mins along with some of the girls from Arizona State at Mid City Gym. They close it to the public when celebs come down like J Kidd and Richard Jefferson. I usually don't get in but that day I did. Kerr was coming off his 2nd chip, that was the year he hit the game winner I believe. Anyway we couldn't touch him, he took only 7 shots but made all of them, 5 of them were off screens. After that he sat down with some lady drinking a blue powerade. I wanted to talk to him but was too nervous.

Gilbert Arenas, most people don't know that they had AAU in the 90's too. His team came down to San Diego as well one time and played at Mid City. This time the Gym wasn't closed but the coach of their AAU team wanted a few players to scrimmage with until the team they were playing came. They had 3 courts, but they only dropped the rims down on the big court for special occasions. It ran across the 2 smaller courts and everyone who wasn't in the game had to clear to the sides and watch. So when they lowered the rims from the ceiling everyone knew it was about to get real.

Anyway, you know how it is when you see 8 dudes come in, alot of them tall actin like their better then everyone else. Naturally you size shit up. I was usually selected to play cause I was always there, plus I had solid height at 6'2. Funny thing is at the time Gilbert wasn't the best player on the team, they touted some light skinned 6'4 dude who was very athletic (can't remember his name). Gilbert was shorter then me at the time but he had long arms and was talkin alot of shit. He was quite at first till we stripped his teammate and I scored at the rim twice, then he got into it. On the next possession Arenas dribbled the ball to the 3 point line slowly and penetrated inside, threw a lob up that looked like it was going nowhere, so I backed up to grab it out of the air and their best player caught it over me from the left side and dunked it hard with his right hand. Needless to say the crowd went crazy, it was slightly embarrassing and humbled us. We had woken them up. So they shut us out for their next 3 buckets before the game ended early as their real team had arrived. I remembered Gilberts first name and his face looked familiar (later) but he wasn't famous at the time, so it wasn't until the manager of Mid City (who I saw years later) told me who I had played against. And I remembered. Fun times. :pimp:

3ball
10-24-2015, 03:26 AM
I can't list all the famous people I've played with.. It would sound pretty ridiculous on a message board.

Rocketswin2013
10-24-2015, 03:30 AM
I can't list all the famous people I've played with.. It would sound pretty ridiculous on a message board.
Now you're self-conscious? Your approach to message board posting is by far the most ridiculous I have ever seen.

And it is likely, EASILY the most ridiculous for a person who has gone unbanned for as long as you have (maybe Legend of Josh),

You might as well fire away.

3ball
10-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Now you're self-conscious? Your approach to message board posting is by far the most ridiculous I have ever seen.

And it is likely, EASILY the most ridiculous for a person who has gone unbanned for as long as you have (maybe Legend of Josh),

You might as well fire away.
I'll just tell a couple stories..

John Salmons broke my ankles the worst.. over and over.. I'll never forget it.. He's actually the only guy I ever remember breaking my ankles - like, it's happened many times obviously, but he's the only guy I have very clear memories of it happening.. I was a good perimeter defender at 6'6".. I used to force Carlos Arroyo into long jumpers, but Salmons had this hesitation that made a ***** feel helpless.. The handle he had at that time was ahead of it's time - like, dudes weren't really doing that particular hesitation yet - it hadn't hit the mainstream yet... He must've broken me in conspicuous fashion literally a dozen different times.. Now I look back on the move he used and it's like, when you run into something that's ahead of it's time, that's what happens.. you get your ass kicked.

Raja Bell wanted to fight me once.. Because I was dominating the scrimmage and talking shit.. But I was the new guy, and it was HIS team... He wanted to let me know that... Later in the year, he got a couple lucky dunks on me in transition.. Not posters though.. Just fly-bys.. Another time, I injured him in practice by accident - knee to the thigh - he was out for a few days and I felt guilty.. When he made the NBA, I was pretty amused that he was branded as a great defender - he could never hold me.. Too little... People don't realize how easily Kobe could score on him.. No resistance at all really, which was never a surprise to me.. One thing about Raj was that he had some crazy hops in college... Like, he dunked on EVERYBODY.. But you'd never know watching an NBA game.. That happened to me going from HS to college - my dunk frequency cratered in college - the higher level of comp drains so much more energy, that you don't have the umpph you need to dunk as often.

Guarded Quincy Lewis in 17U aau nationals in winston salem in front of Gene Keady, Steve fisher and nolan richardson, among others.. He started at PG - a 6'7" PG... So coach put me in the starting lineup to guard him because we matched up well physically.. FYI, our squad had Bonzi Wells, who was the 2nd best player on our team - we had another stud that never made it due to other shit.

First time I played Anthony Parker, he ripped me and went the other way for a dunk... The second time I played him, I locked him up and got props for it.. But everyday in practice, it was pretty clear who the man was on the team.. AP dominated everyone all day every day - he actually played a lot like Jordan - the same moves - you could tell he emulated MJ a lot.. He was actually VERY VERY good off-the-dribble with a lot of moves - but you'd never know it watching an NBA game... A different level than college and euroleague.

Best jumpshot I ever had to defend was Jay Edwards... I remember doing a pretty good job guarding him and he knew it, so he started pulling up from 30 feet... Like, his jumpshot was so good, that his go-to move when he really needed a bucket was a 30-footer... :facepalm

iamgine
10-24-2015, 06:26 AM
I regularly play ball with guys who have watched Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Lebron James, Tim Duncan, etc play live on cable.

poido123
10-24-2015, 06:30 AM

John Salmons broke my ankles the worst.. over and over.. I'll never forget it.. He's actually the only guy I ever remember breaking my ankles - like, it's happened many times obviously, but he's the only guy I have very clear memories of it happening.. I was a good perimeter defender at 6'6".. I used to force Carlos Arroyo into long jumpers, but Salmons had this hesitation that made a ***** feel helpless.. The handle he had at that time was ahead of it's time - like, dudes weren't really doing that particular hesitation yet - it hadn't hit the mainstream yet... He must've broken me in conspicuous fashion literally a dozen different times.. Now I look back on the move he used and it's like, when you run into something that's ahead of it's time, that's what happens.. you get your ass kicked.

Raja Bell wanted to fight me once.. Because I was dominating the scrimmage and talking shit.. But I was the new guy, and it was HIS team... He wanted to let me know that... Later in the year, he got a couple lucky dunks on me in transition.. Not posters though.. Just fly-bys.. Another time, I injured him in practice by accident - knee to the thigh - he was out for a few days and I felt guilty.. When he made the NBA, I was pretty amused that he was branded as a great defender - he could never hold me.. Too little... People don't realize how easily Kobe could score on him.. No resistance at all really, which was never a surprise to me.. One thing about Raj was that he had some crazy hops in college... Like, he dunked on EVERYBODY.. But you'd never know watching an NBA game.. That happened to me going from HS to college - my dunk frequency cratered in college - the higher level of comp drains so much more energy, that you don't have the umpph you need to dunk as often.

Guarded Quincy Lewis in 17U aau nationals in winston salem in front of Gene Keady, Steve fisher and nolan richardson, among others.. He started at PG - a 6'7" PG... So coach put me in the starting lineup to guard him because we matched up well physically.. FYI, our squad had Bonzi Wells, who was the 2nd best player on our team - we had another stud that never made it due to other shit.

First time I played Anthony Parker, he ripped me and went the other way for a dunk... The second time I played him, I locked him up and got props for it.. But everyday in practice, it was pretty clear who the man was on the team.. AP dominated everyone all day every day - he actually played a lot like Jordan - the same moves - you could tell he emulated MJ a lot.. He was actually VERY VERY good off-the-dribble with a lot of moves - but you'd never know it watching an NBA game... A different level than college and euroleague.

Best jumpshot I ever had to defend was Jay Edwards... I remember doing a pretty good job guarding him and he knew it, so he started pulling up from 30 feet... Like, his jumpshot was so good, that his go-to move when he really needed a bucket was a 30-footer... :facepalm

People want to stay hating you but what you have done is pretty cool.

Posters here will say you're full of shit, but I believe you :applause:

swagga
10-24-2015, 07:04 AM

props son.

starks used to hoop in the vicinity of where a cousin of mine I lived, but I was too young to play with grown men back then. He was ATHLETIC as hell tho.

played against some euroleague guys in germany. Very different style of play, big dudes with range, nothing you can do about em when you are 6'3.

I played with Jr smith once. Some real yolo niggga basketball right there, you could smell the booze from a mile away :lol, he was pulling up from wayyyyyyy out ..... and making them :bowdown:

nathanjizzle
10-24-2015, 07:07 AM
dwyane wade, summer 05, richards highschool gym in oak lawn illinois.

Dragonyeuw
10-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Played in a pickup game with Craig Hodges, who was hosting a local camp, back in 93 right off the Bulls 3peat. Was amazed at how quick he was considering he wouldnt be particularly quick by NBA standards( as far as guys really considered fast back then).

Played in a pickup game with Joe Smith, Manute Ball and Tony Massenburg at the University of Maryland in 94, again camp related. Seeing Manute in person.......:biggums: Didnt even seem possible. And for the most part, I was a bystander watching these guys go at it.

Also, I didnt play in a game with him, but I met Robert Parish in a local sports apparel store I was working at during the summer between college. Met Shawn Bradley at a grocery store, was with his GF who came up as far as his hip :oldlol: How convenient for him.

Rocketswin2013
10-24-2015, 01:19 PM

:cheers:

ArbitraryWater
10-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I don't think he was very famous.. just some player from the Euroleague..

Spanoulis, some shit like that, yea.

catch24
10-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Played in a pickup game with Craig Hodges, who was hosting a local camp, back in 93 right off the Bulls 3peat. Was amazed at how quick he was considering he wouldnt be particularly quick by NBA standards( as far as guys really considered fast back then).

Played in a pickup game with Joe Smith, Manute Ball and Tony Massenburg at the University of Maryland in 94, again camp related. Seeing Manute in person.......:biggums: Didnt even seem possible. And for the most part, I was a bystander watching these guys go at it.

Also, I didnt play in a game with him, but I met Robert Parish in a local sports apparel store I was working at during the summer between college. Met Shawn Bradley at a grocery store, was with his GF who came up as far as his hip :oldlol: How convenient for him.

:kobe:

ArbitraryWater
10-24-2015, 01:32 PM

He meant he saw Manute 'ball' you know?

catch24
10-24-2015, 01:41 PM
He meant he saw Manute 'ball' you know?

http://s12.postimg.org/6bzlsqki5/05a721eb4c8acbaaf7ae0754c38e553dfa3d8c1e704a6d19.j pg

A few for me.

Played against Luke Walton and his younger brother a few times. I went to Mission Bay and they played for Uni, a private school in San Diego Linda Vista area.

Played with Steve Kerr for about 10 mins along with some of the girls from Arizona State at Mid City Gym. They close it to the public when celebs come down like J Kidd and Richard Jefferson. I usually don't get in but that day I did. Kerr was coming off his 2nd chip, that was the year he hit the game winner I believe. Anyway we couldn't touch him, he took only 7 shots but made all of them, 5 of them were off screens. After that he sat down with some lady drinking a blue powerade. I wanted to talk to him but was too nervous.

Gilbert Arenas, most people don't know that they had AAU in the 90's too. His team came down to San Diego as well one time and played at Mid City. This time the Gym wasn't closed but the coach of their AAU team wanted a few players to scrimmage with until the team they were playing came. They had 3 courts, but they only dropped the rims down on the big court for special occasions. It ran across the 2 smaller courts and everyone who wasn't in the game had to clear to the sides and watch. So when they lowered the rims from the ceiling everyone knew it was about to get real.

Anyway, you know how it is when you see 8 dudes come in, alot of them tall actin like their better then everyone else. Naturally you size shit up. I was usually selected to play cause I was always there, plus I had solid height at 6'2. Funny thing is at the time Gilbert wasn't the best player on the team, they touted some light skinned 6'4 dude who was very athletic (can't remember his name). Gilbert was shorter then me at the time but he had long arms and was talkin alot of shit. He was quite at first till we stripped his teammate and I scored at the rim twice, then he got into it. On the next possession Arenas dribbled the ball to the 3 point line slowly and penetrated inside, threw a lob up that looked like it was going nowhere, so I backed up to grab it out of the air and their best player caught it over me from the left side and dunked it hard with his right hand. Needless to say the crowd went crazy, it was slightly embarrassing and humbled us. We had woken them up. So they shut us out for their next 3 buckets before the game ended early as their real team had arrived. I remembered Gilberts first name and his face looked familiar (later) but he wasn't famous at the time, so it wasn't until the manager of Mid City (who I saw years later) told me who I had played against. And I remembered. Fun times. :pimp:

Awesome :cheers: I've played pickup ball with a couple former division 1 players, but never anybody from the pro's.

I almost got to shoot around with Pierce and Andre Miller when they hosted summer tournies at Veterans Park in Carson (socal). Showed up too late, but still got their autographs.

BTW, 3ball is full of shit. The amount of crap and fvckery he posts on here...theres just no way that maniac played and "destroyed" professionals. Guy is probably some fat, balding nerd IRL.

DavisIsMyUniBro
10-24-2015, 01:50 PM

COOL

I played against anthony davis once. I destroyed him. his arms werent long enough, and after that I gave him tips on his eyebrow.

I had a 3 point shooting contest with curry, kerr, durant, etc.

naturally, they missed all their shots. I made all of mine, and cought theirs and made all of theirs too.

Jordan, Lavine, Dr J, and carter once challanged me to a dunk contest. Naturally, they died when I beat them.

I also beat wilt at arm wrestling, and pushed shaq to the ground once

wanna know the similarities in these stories?

their as bullshit as yours.

ArbitraryWater
10-24-2015, 02:01 PM
[IMG]http://s12.postimg.org/6bzlsqki5/05a721eb4c8acbaaf7ae0754c38e553dfa3d8c1e704a6d19.j pg[/IMG

would have worked better if the sentence was structured differently :(

the mesiah
10-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Played against Quinton Ross in high school who played with the Clippers and Grizzlies back in the day, I scored 32 on him and after the game Quin Buckner was in the stands and told me "Hey young fella , u sure do know how to put the ball in that hole".. All my teammates were asking me who the old guy was, I was the only one who knew who he was.

Cali Syndicate
10-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Aaron Gordon. But i wasn't playing. And it wasn't even really a game, more of a shoot around. And by shoot around, it was more he was there bullshittin with his buddies on the court. He did throw down 2 or 3 nice dunks. This was the summer before he left to Arizona. Didn't know if he'd make the nba, but he was well known to be a high prospected hs player.

PsychoBe
10-24-2015, 03:36 PM
not a personal story but my best friend in atlanta went to a christian private school in high school and he went against dwight howard's team. there were a lot of cameras and scouts and people to come see him and he dominated them something awful. he was very big and he made the game look incredibly easy as well. didn't get a chance to talk to him or anything since everyone was hounding him afterwards.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Just some college guys. Myck Kabongo is probably the most famous. Shot around with Aaron Gray before. Not a game though. Same with Anthony Carter.

Like the college stories. Didn't happen to me but I still remember the one about MJ and Julius Peppers almost getting into a fight it got so competitive.

kshutts1
10-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Myself. At least 20 people in my city know me by name.

Quickening
10-25-2015, 06:47 AM
COOL

I played against anthony davis once. I destroyed him. his arms werent long enough, and after that I gave him tips on his eyebrow.

I had a 3 point shooting contest with curry, kerr, durant, etc.

naturally, they missed all their shots. I made all of mine, and cought theirs and made all of theirs too.

Jordan, Lavine, Dr J, and carter once challanged me to a dunk contest. Naturally, they died when I beat them.

I also beat wilt at arm wrestling, and pushed shaq to the ground once

wanna know the similarities in these stories?

their as bullshit as yours.

:lol true, guy who spends all his time on this forum dominating nba players

G-train
10-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Andrew Bogut and Matthew Dellevedova

Dragonyeuw
10-25-2015, 08:43 AM

Hadnt had my morning coffee yet....

stalkerforlife
10-25-2015, 10:54 AM
DAMN...3ball has crazy game. Dude dunking on NBA stars.

Much respect.

HighFlyer23
10-25-2015, 11:15 AM
DAMN...3ball has crazy game. Dude dunking on NBA stars.

Much respect.

You'd think the n1gga actually would play in e pro league

But instead he's here on ish worshipping Jordan

NBAplayoffs2001
10-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Number of friends who went to NYU have seen Adam Sandler play ball at their gym.

For me personally, no one special. Just some former Division 1 players. Friend shot around with some NBA bench player a few years ago (forgot the name).

NBAplayoffs2001
10-25-2015, 11:48 AM
My friend was a sophomore or a junior and had to guard Tyreke Evans in high school. Needless to say, he said Tyreke went off on him for a ton of points. My friend is a really good athlete too but only about 6'0''-6'1''. His strong suit was football and he got recruited to play RB at some low end D1 colleges before deciding to just go to college to become an engineer.

Jameerthefear
10-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Not in the NBA (yet) but I played Josh Langford (5 star recruit that committed to Mich. St.) He dropped 41 points on me.

BarberSchool
10-26-2015, 12:29 PM
2 famous people:
Vince Vaughan. Curtis Granderson.
Vaughan is as tall as me, but unbelievably lead footed. Moves like he's 60. Granderson is quick and strong, but way shorter than his listed height (like 5'10"), and is a selfish chucker with sh!tty handles.

As far as ballplayers go....Craig Hodges impressed me most, as even at 40+, he had legit 27ft dependable, comfortable range.

In the league where Hodges played, Ron Olesiak was a ref. And I have not met many dudes who are more of an insufferable @sshole than that old stubborn racist cocksu@ker. In a world where I could get away with murder, Ron Olesiak would be one guy I'd choke to death, while having an intense convo with about how awful a MF he really is, in his last moments.

BarberSchool
10-26-2015, 12:37 PM
As for current/recent players.....

Corey Maggette. Nasty. Physically way stronger than you would ever think.

Steven Hunter. He sucked big time as a high schooler. Very physically weak and timid. our center held him to i think 8.

Andre Igoudala was also nasty and with arms even longer than you expect. And you expect long @ss arms. Them sh!ts are like 7fters arms.

SsKSpurs21
10-26-2015, 12:50 PM
back in the early 2000's when I was in college, there was a player on the Spurs named Derrick Dial. The guy was a 14th-15th man, rarely suited up, most of the time he was in street clothes. He used to live in my parents neighborhood and he would come shoot around at the clubhouse courts.

He would come by to shoot around at night and if there were enough people we would play pick up games. this guy was easily the fastest one on the court and he would rarely miss a shot. It amazed me how a guy who can barely sniff the court be so good. then it got me thinking how great some of the superstars like kobe and duncan are compared to the average joe. they must be godlike.

later on, George Hill moved a few houses down. I would see him occasionally with his lowrider. Also met Dejuan Blair. he would roll with George Hill all the time.

Also talked to Manu Ginobili at Costco. he was looking at a TV and I walked up next to him and he was telling me about aspect ratios and frame rates lol. hes a really cool guy.

Rake2204
10-26-2015, 12:57 PM
I outscored a 44-year-old Lindsey Hunter with a bad knee during a couple of rec league games last year. That's probably going to be about as good as it gets for me, haha.

Hunter's team was pretty solidly talented, including Pierre Dukes from Oakland University (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2dc2UixlI), so Hunter wasn't a guy who had to try to shoulder the scoring load or anything. Also, he really liked to pull from 25 feet, so I lucked out there. I'm sure even four years prior, a little healthier and/or more motivated, he would have just blazed past me into the paint at will.

He iso'd me and tried to break my ankles in one instance, getting the crowd (yeah, people would randomly show up for his team's games) all riled up by executing something like three or four cross-and-stepbacks in a row, but it was a managable assignment because I knew he was just looking to fire a jumper (as opposed to penetrating) and I induced an airball.

I was interested in his athleticism at age 44 so we chatted a little afterward. He said he could still dunk and mentioned his best dunk was likely a crush he had on James Posey when Hunter played in L.A. I've been looking for footage of that dunk ever since.

90sgoat
10-26-2015, 01:12 PM
I played against some former national champs in my small Euro country. I don't think they were even pros back then in the league. To give you an idea of how far from the NBA they were, there was one guy they played against in the league who went on to have a decent college career, but going to the US wasn't common back then even for talented players. I do think one or two of those guys could have done ok in college for smaller schools.

I do know that one of the old guys (in their early 40s likely), could still throw down and dominated guys 20 years younger. Was pretty funny seeing how young talents would try to guard him, but couldn't due to his athleticism and long ass arms.

Learned a lot from playing those games, also learned to run the fastbreak like a maniac, pretty much the only way to score consistently against players much better than you but who carry too many pounds around the waist. Also learned to have a nice little one handed floater, Parker style, to avoid getting blocked on a drive.

Some of you guys seem to have had real careers. I am very jealous of those of you who tried the whole high school/college athlete lifestyle. That was really my childhood dream. Cheerleaders and a crowd for games and all that.

Derka
10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Chris Herren, former Nuggets/Celtics point guard and something of a legend where I grew up. Injuries ended up ending his NBA career after two seasons and he spent some time playing in Europe, China and Iran before he finally stopped playing pro (a crippling opioid addiction didn't help either).

ESPN did a 30 for 30 movie about him called Unguarded and its worth checking out. He spends his time now speaking about addiction and doing one-on-one instruction with kids who are shooting to play ball in college or beyond.

He was a senior at Durfee High when my generation of athletes were about to enter high school. During his college years when he'd come home from Fresno, he'd show up at the Bank St Armory, Luke Urban Fieldhouse or some other spot and just absolutely destroy all comers in full-court ball, yours truly among them. if not for his drug offenses, he was a shoe-in for the lottery in the 99 draft.

ShawkFactory
10-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Shannon scott

GoatBoy
10-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Used to play a lot of pickup with Henry Bekkering
Dude can fly!!

I shot around with Matt Bonner one time, as well as Jamaal Magloire

brownboyfly
10-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Kevin Hart.

Sakkreth
10-26-2015, 04:21 PM
With the real goat. Sabonis.

kennethgriffin
10-26-2015, 04:30 PM
i'm the most famous person i've ever played basketball with

so to answer O.P

myself

i'm very well known on the internet and around my city

Mr. Jabbar
10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
i'm the most famous person i've ever played basketball with

so to answer O.P

myself

i'm very well known on the internet and around my city

Alpha. This is the kind of alpha we need on ish. I'd buy an ISH t-shirt if there were more alpha posters like kenneth here.