PDA

View Full Version : Boring but easy job vs interesting but difficult job

tmacattack33
10-28-2015, 03:02 PM
What would you rather have? (Assume that your salary is even between the two)

A boring but easy job that really doesn't demand much of you or an interesting but difficult job that requires you to be on point?

Edit (thanks to Ariza4three...lol): Oh, and assume your hours worked will be the same between the two

JerrySeinfeld
10-28-2015, 03:05 PM
boring and easy.

if you paid me to stand and stare at a wall for 9 hours, I'd do it.

oh the horror
10-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Interesting but difficult makes the time go by faster. It drives me insane to not feel challenged on some level by a job

DonDadda59
10-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Interesting but difficult makes the time go by faster. It drives me insane to not feel challenged on some level by a job

This.

Boring but easy is almost like torture IMO. No mental stimulation, just mind-boggling boredom and monotony. It's really no surprise why people with jobs like that snap and shoot up the place from time to time. :lol

UK2K
10-28-2015, 03:20 PM

My dad makes mid-40's (per hour) working at a boring job, and he dreads going to work every day.

I always said 'you could pay me $45 an hour to be bored and I'd do it', and then his reply was 'would you take $20 an hour to scoop water out of a lake with a Solo cup for 8 hours?'.

Then I realized, he had a point.

Much rather be occupied for 8 hours than bored.

West-Side
10-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Wow, people on this forum sure have a lot of ambition.
I'll take the interesting but difficult job any day.

Have fun working at McDonalds or KFC for the rest of your life, losers.

imdaman99
10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Depends. Is this a great profession that I went to school for or is it something I learned on the go without needing my degree for?

Boring means that I will live on a routine. I like routines but I need to be challenged once in a while. I don't want to be challenged everyday, because that sounds like I will be working late hours too. I have no problem doing that temporarily if it means it will lead me to advancing or getting major raises. I don't want to be challenged everyday if it will mean shit.

TL;DR for chance at advancing? Gimme interesting but difficult. If not, routine and easy.

senelcoolidge
10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
I had a job that was slow at times (sat a lot), but anything could happen. If something happened you had to know your stuff. If you messed up it could mean your license or a person's life.
My current full time job is easy, but keeps me on my feet always. I don't have the responsibilities like in the former job. No one is going to die on me etc. Less stressful but like I said in 8 hours I could walk up to 10 miles some days.

The new job makes the day fly and it's easy..but not something I want to do for long because I would feel embarrassed to stay in such a department long term. It's more of a stepping stone for younger people.
So boring and easy for me.

UK2K
10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
But this scenario is that you get paid the SAME wage. $45 an hour to scoop water? Fck yes. Sign me up.

Yeah it'd be nice on payday... But Lord that job would be so boring. Imagine showing up to work at 8am, and three hours later, you're still scooping water out of a lake with a Solo cup.

Every. Single. Day.

That's why I've always said to make it through this life, its imperative that you enjoy your job, because you will be spending AT LEAST 1/3 of your day there for the next 40 years.

Derka
10-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Interesting but difficult for me. I'd rather be challenged.

Thorpesaurous
10-28-2015, 03:53 PM
It depends a little on what difficult means. Challenging I like, sure, but stressful, **** that. My job provides both in terms difficulty, and if you wanted to pay me the same money to push a button all day, I'd take it. I can find things to be interested in outside of work. I don't really require my work to be interesting.

aj1987
10-28-2015, 03:57 PM

This!

What is wrong with people. That's like a third of the day for possibly 30-50 years.

Draz
10-28-2015, 03:57 PM
I've had one difficult but interesting job and I had one easy but boring job and in comparison I'd definitely choose the difficult one. I find myself drifting away at boring jobs, sleepiness, laziness, even become more inefficient because of how stubborn you can become.

It's great to have interest in something you're making money in otherwise you'd feel lousy

DukeDelonte13
10-28-2015, 04:02 PM
coming from somebody that has an insanely challenging and demanding job give me boring and easy all day every day.

I'd rather just be able to shut my brain off and just put in time, go home, and not have to worry about work all the time.

Imagine taking a vacation and really taking a vacation, where you can shut your phone off and not check emails, and come back to work and everything is fine. That would be nice. Or taking a few days off at the holiday and it not cause a disaster.

Sure my job is interesting, but lord almighty does it get stressful as sh*t. Responsibility has its pros and cons. The higher the responsibility the more stresses you are gonna have.

24-Inch_Chrome
10-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Interesting but difficult.

I've had both (not to an extreme though), preferred the latter. It makes me give a shit about the job and I've found that I enjoy myself much more.

UK2K
10-28-2015, 04:04 PM
I've had one difficult but interesting job and I had one easy but boring job and in comparison I'd definitely choose the difficult one. I find myself drifting away at boring jobs, sleepiness, laziness, even become more inefficient because of how stubborn you can become.

It's great to have interest in something you're making money in otherwise you'd feel lousy

Yep. I've had to sit in one place for days and look at dirt. It gets really old, really quick.

TripleA
10-28-2015, 04:06 PM
I'd have pretty interesting job designing and selling apparel and clothes and sometimes it can be pretty stressful but I'd rather do my current job than working at a McDonald's or a target.

IGOTGAME
10-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Depends on the pay

West-Side
10-28-2015, 04:08 PM
It depends a little on what difficult means. Challenging I like, sure, but stressful, **** that. My job provides both in terms difficulty, and if you wanted to pay me the same money to push a button all day, I'd take it. I can find things to be interested in outside of work. I don't really require my work to be interesting.

100% agreed. Good point.
I'll take an interesting but challenging job; but if it's difficult because it is highly stressful than I might reconsider.

West-Side
10-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I personally think, you develop bad habits doing a boring but easy job.
You never challenge yourself, so you never improve yourself. You're working for 40 hours a week, that's a lot of time you're wasting out of your life.

So by "interesting" I'm assuming its rewarding or enlightening, or in some form beneficial to your lifestyle. I'll rather do that, plus; your day at work flies by.

tmacattack33
10-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Boring but easy. You then become more efficient at what you do, so you can either finish your shit early and then can leave (if you are able) or free up some extra time to slack off.

Arghhhh...but now you are adding in a new variable (hours working). LOL.

Let's keep the hours worked the same (as well as salary as noted in the opening post).

bigkingsfan
10-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Easy job because of the stress environment, but it needs to keep you active. Not something lame like starting at a wall for 9 hours.

UK2K
10-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Easy job because of the stress environment, but it needs to keep you active. Not something lame like starting at a wall for 9 hours.

That's the point of the game :confusedshrug:

Like I said, I've watched empty desert for days. Not hours, DAYS. No internet, no phone, no gameboy, no magazines, I was literally sitting in a hole looking over a valley for days.

That's ****ing boring.

bigkingsfan
10-28-2015, 04:37 PM
That's the point of the game :confusedshrug:

Like I said, I've watched empty desert for days. Not hours, DAYS. No internet, no phone, no gameboy, no magazines, I was literally sitting in a hole looking over a valley for days.

That's ****ing boring.

There are plenty of boring jobs without going to that extreme, like data entry or accountant. So it just depends.

UK2K
10-28-2015, 04:44 PM
There are plenty of boring jobs without going to that extreme, like data entry or accountant. So it just depends.

If I'm going to be bored, I want to be bored outside.

Just me though.

Andrew Wiggins
10-28-2015, 04:48 PM
judging by some of the responses in this thread, it's easy to see who's been in the real world and is educated.

I'll have some slow days at work once and in a while and it feels like the work day will never end. i can't imagine feeling that way the majority of my work week, it would be hell. challenging work also doesn't have to mean working insane hours.

Andrew Wiggins
10-28-2015, 04:50 PM
But you know what i do when I don't have anything to work on and on the clock? I study up on future projects and systems my company is going to

this is what separates the mediocre, satisfied average joes from the ones with ambition.

bigkingsfan
10-28-2015, 05:02 PM
j
I'll have some slow days at work once and in a while and it feels like the work day will never end. i can't imagine feeling that way the majority of my work week, it would be hell. challenging work also doesn't have to mean working insane hours.

Yea, I'm sure you'd prefer to cram for an upcoming due project while having some boss dropping f bombs on your dome, going home feeling like shit every day.

Andrew Wiggins
10-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Yea, I'm sure you'd prefer to cram for an upcoming due project while having some boss dropping f bombs on your dome, going home feeling like shit every day.

lol, as if the two are mutually exclusive. it's called being well prepared and working efficiently. most deadlines are more than generous and can be finished well ahead of time if you know what you're doing

Draz
10-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Yep. I've had to sit in one place for days and look at dirt. It gets really old, really quick.
I've almost fallen asleep countless times in the office. It's really easy having a superior walk in and catch you drowsy. It's easier to get fired at a job doing nothing than a job doing something. Also, a difficult job with the ability to handle such job means you're also more valuable and less prone to being replaced.

bigkingsfan
10-28-2015, 05:16 PM
lol, as if the two are mutually exclusive. it's called being well prepared and working efficiently. most deadlines are more than generous and can be finished well ahead of time if you know what you're doing

This is a difficult job, words like generous are not part of the description, you will be crunching and munching to the last minute to complete your task, if not, you have to turn in your incomplete work and hope it's passable.

knickballer
10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Defends on other factors like benefits, total hours worked, environment, etc.

It's personal preference. On one hand the difficult job may lead to stress which can have a profane effect on you but on the other hand you'll get the satisfaction of actually being stimulated at your job. You'll feel like you're actually contributing and have some type of purpose and is that what humans yearn for? A sense of purpose?

However, the boring and easy job you won't bring the job home. Most likely you'll have downtime where you can do other shit like post on ISH or read some ****ing blogs. But you're brain will get mushy and you'll never get satisfaction because you realize you contribute to nothing and that they(the company) can fire you and production will be the same.

But if the boring job is a job where I'm able to walk around and socialize then I'll pick that. But I guess at that point it won't be "boring" and somewhat "Fun". So in essence, probably the interesting job.

Throughout college/HS I had jobs on my feet and I honestly miss those jobs. Not because the job was "difficult" but because it was busy and stimulating.

BigNBAfan
10-28-2015, 06:28 PM
What would you rather have? (Assume that your salary is even between the two)

A boring but easy job that really doesn't demand much of you or an interesting but difficult job that requires you to be on point?

Edit (thanks to Ariza4three...lol): Oh, and assume your hours worked will be the same between the two

I have the latter and I really enjoy it. Only downside is that it's salary and work follows me home since i dont want to get to clinic early to prep for patients. Every day is a puzzle, do a lot of objective tests and put it together. Now and then i get some rare tricky patients which makes things entertaining.

Stress is pretty low as the testing protocol we have has a high sensitivity and interpreting isn't too difficult once you gain the experience. The pay is nice too :) Hourly it works out to $75/hour.

sportsfan76
10-28-2015, 11:44 PM
At my age I prefer a job that is STABLE. STable jobs allow you to

1. Save money
2. Buy Nice things

DeuceWallaces
10-28-2015, 11:53 PM
If your job is boring and easy you're either 20, stupid, or both.

sportsfan76
10-29-2015, 12:06 AM

Something like a front desk clerk and having people sign in LOL

Mike Armstrong
10-29-2015, 01:44 AM
Assuming equal pay, boring and easy.

KNOW1EDGE
10-29-2015, 01:54 AM
I think the way you answer this question really says a lot about you as a person.

Jasper
10-29-2015, 11:04 AM
I can safely say I had both !!

Both were long term careers.

The interesting job and difficult was the first long term one. (It was IMO my career job)
* I had only hoped it would of carried me to retirement , but the company was bought out , and I had the option to go to another city and state, but I did not like the odds of long term.

The boring and easy job , I had considered many times quitting , but the money was so good and the job was so easy , that I spent 6+ hours on the internet.
* I pride my self in common sense and logic , and thought if I quit the job someone else was going to get this easy money so I hung on to it until this spring (when I hung up my fingers) :D

NBAplayoffs2001
10-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Hm. Interesting question.

Boring but easy job- I know people from high school who took up these type of jobs instead of pursuing further education. They make like $15 an hour and work jobs that have routine and aren't too hard to keep up with. Usually get stuck in some dead end job making decent money, $30-50K. Usually just hang out around the town they grow up in and never really try to get out and see other opportunities/jobs.

Interesting but difficult job- I know a few first year analysts as investment bankers and they work crazy amount of hours for less than $15 an hour probably. But they seem really interested in their work and seem to get more out of it. Connections, plenty of exit opportunities if they decide to leave investment banking after a few years. Probably making around $70K working crazy hours and having the potential to earn $100K+ by their mid 20s. I know one who goes to Vegas/Miami almost every other weekend when they have time off. They also have the option of going back to school eventually and have it get paid for by their employer.

Personally, I'm more interested in an interesting but difficult job.

Investment banking isn't for everyone though. I know someone who went in it for the money and gave up after about a year and a half. They didn't like the lifestyle. I've heard that private equity/venture capitalist are really fun to work in and get really interesting. And of course if you somehow are able to work at a hedge fund, you can make millions and billions if you run a very successful one.

West-Side
10-29-2015, 11:36 AM
People ask me why I want to work at KPMG.
They say "you'll work crazy hours, have stressful deadlines to meet and everyone around you will be stressed to the max, why?"

Well, the question is very easy to answer.
For both, personal and professional growth.
I will be surrounded by bright people who I can learn from and motivate myself to do better. The resources I'll have available to me at KPMG will help me cultivate many key skills, to do my job even better. Furthermore, you get rewarded at KPMG with annual increases in salary; all they ask of you is to work hard.

I am currently employed at a bank, making 2-3k more but I'd rather work at KPMG because there are better opportunities there for my future and my development.

An interesting but difficult job will challenge you. People say "you'll be stressed because of constant deadlines", but guess what? With challenging work, you improve faster and become more efficient. You develop skills and will have opportunities to transfer them to more promising positions or jobs in the future.

Most importantly, you improve yourself as a person.
Challenging jobs enhance essential skills that you use every-day outside of work; such as interpersonal, communication, problem solving etc.

This is a no brainer; even if McDonalds gave me 25 dollars an hour to flip burger and I had a chance to take a KPMG job for similar pay and work my ass off; I'll take KPMG in a heartbeat.

I want to invest in myself,
bottom line.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-29-2015, 11:51 AM
People ask me why I want to work at KPMG.
They say "you'll work crazy hours, have stressful deadlines to meet and everyone around you will be stressed to the max, why?"

Well, the question is very easy to answer.
For both, personal and professional growth.
I will be surrounded by bright people who I can learn from and motivate myself to do better. The resources I'll have available to me at KPMG will help me cultivate many key skills, to do my job even better. Furthermore, you get rewarded at KPMG with annual increases in salary; all they ask of you is to work hard.

I am currently employed at a bank, making 2-3k more but I'd rather work at KPMG because there are better opportunities there for my future and my development.

An interesting but difficult job will challenge you. People say "you'll be stressed because of constant deadlines", but guess what? With challenging work, you improve faster and become more efficient. You develop skills and will have opportunities to transfer them to more promising positions or jobs in the future.

Most importantly, you improve yourself as a person.
Challenging jobs enhance essential skills that you use every-day outside of work; such as interpersonal, communication, problem solving etc.

This is a no brainer; even if McDonalds gave me 25 dollars an hour to flip burger and I had a chance to take a KPMG job for similar pay and work my ass off; I'll take KPMG in a heartbeat.

I want to invest in myself,
bottom line.

I like this response a lot.

I watch a lot of Shark Tank and I feel innovation and hard work is the way to go. I have always felt as long as the pay is decent and the job is really interesting, you can treat it more like a hobby you really like than a job.

DukeDelonte13
10-29-2015, 12:05 PM

or have cushy position with the federal government. There are plenty of boring and easy jobs that required advanced degrees.

and i guarantee this, most of the people who are clamoring for the difficult and challenging work must think their easy-ass jobs are hard or something.

DeuceWallaces
10-29-2015, 12:23 PM
or have cushy position with the federal government. There are plenty of boring and easy jobs that required advanced degrees.

and i guarantee this, most of the people who are clamoring for the difficult and challenging work must think their easy-ass jobs are hard or something.

That would fall under stupid.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Like which?

DukeDelonte13
10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Like which?

any job where you work 9 to 5, get government holidays, and paid vacations. Jobs where you aren't answering calls at 9:00pm and not forced to come in on weekends to try and alleviate some of the workload. Jobs were you can regularly be home before 7:00pm.

I guess my definition of a challenging or difficult job is different then most people.

IMO if your working a 9-5 and get paid vacations, sick days, etc. your job really isn't that challenging in the grand scheme of things. You put time in and you answer to someone else in a higher position. Boo f*ckin hoo. How hard can that be.

Here's a question: what's more inherently challenging? Being a government scientist for NIH or running your own convenient store and/or gas station?

On one hand your utilizing an advanced degree and working in a field pushing boundaries. You get to work a set schedule and you have nice benefits.

If you run your own c-store ordering supplies may not be that complicated, but managing the entirety of the business with suppliers, employees, accounting, no benefits, and ultimate responsibility AND liability should anything go wrong?

You can have a "smart" job that's not hard at all, and you can have a "dumb" job that's insanely difficult.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Either way, I think the most interesting/difficult job is starting a tech start up company.

I can't even imagine how much work people put in the first 3-4 years in order to make big successful tech companies.

The only downside is, you have to risk of not making much money for at least a few years. I remember on Shark Tank where some of the people on there claimed how they didn't make profit into their multimillionaire or multibillionare company until 5-8 years in.

West-Side
10-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Honestly, everyone put down their current job title.
Because DukeDelonte just literally had the dumbest post of the century.
A 9 to 5 job can't be hard? Is this some sort of joke?

I had a co-op stint at E&Y in 2012, working 9-5.
I was part of their advisory group doing consolidations and amalgamations.
Unlike audit, we stayed in the office. Our schedule was flexible, and we usually left at 5 home.

However, the complexity of the work was extremely stressful.
We had to do AOC's for tax returns as well as merge financial statements at fair market values. You have no idea how difficult some of those concepts can get.

I was physically exhausted every day for those 4 months because I was drained mentally. Now consider this; us at E&Y were also liable for the evaluations we were given our clients. Because if the potential investors bought their company or they were buying another company and we gave poor advice, we could be liable for millions of dollars if there were mistakes made on our part that can be attributed to negligence.

What a stupid ass thing to say.
Working long hours doesn't necessarily make a job difficult or challenging, it's the nature of the job that does.

UK2K
10-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Yup, my dad is a former Marine, retired police officer, and now works for the US Marshals service making $40+ some plus an hour.

He's not 20, and he's definitely not dumb.

If it's dumb to make six figures with little to no effort, I want to be dumb too. But, then again, he's bored out of his mind every day at work, so there's that.

DeuceWallaces
10-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I'd say willfully wasting your life away in a boring as hell job means your dad isn't nearly as smart as you think, but as they say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree; and racist ex-marines aren't really known for their intelligence.

I would add that Duke likely has no idea what it's like to be a 9-5 federal scientist if he feels it's boring or easy relative to running a convenience store.

West-Side
10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
I'd say willfully wasting your life away in a boring as hell job means your dad isn't nearly as smart as you think, but as they say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree; and racist ex-marines aren't really known for their intelligence.

I would add that Duke likely has no idea what it's like to be a 9-5 federal scientist if he feels it's boring or easy relative to running a convenience store.

That's some mean shit.
Absolute ether.

UK2K
10-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Wasting your life away?

You're right, he should quit his job at the with the Marshal's service that pays him $90k+ (plus his retirement, almost $3500 a month) and do something else. He's so dumb to work there. :lol I'll tell him DW on a message board says so.

If your life sucks, dude, you need to change it. It's a personal choice. There's no shame in admitting you ****ed up along the way. You just seem so... depressed? Grumpy? Don't give up on life! Whatever you do, do not end it. Please don't end your life. :no: Maybe you need to get laid?

EDIT: Forgot to highlight the Democrat buzz word. Fixed now. 10 points for you good sir.

UK2K
10-29-2015, 02:28 PM
That's some mean shit.
Absolute ether.

It's all good, I don't like him much anyway :lol

It's just... someone who retired at 42 and now makes almost $150k a year... dumb just isn't the word I would use to describe them. Maybe it's just me. 90% of the country probably wishes they were that dumb.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

DCL
10-29-2015, 02:35 PM
99.9% of you would rather bullshit on insidehoops than work.

if posting on insidehoops paid the same amount as your current work and had the same future prospects of income growth, you'd all quit your current jobs. :oldlol:

IGOTGAME
10-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Hm. Interesting question.

Boring but easy job- I know people from high school who took up these type of jobs instead of pursuing further education. They make like $15 an hour and work jobs that have routine and aren't too hard to keep up with. Usually get stuck in some dead end job making decent money, $30-50K. Usually just hang out around the town they grow up in and never really try to get out and see other opportunities/jobs.

Interesting but difficult job- I know a few first year analysts as investment bankers and they work crazy amount of hours for less than $15 an hour probably. But they seem really interested in their work and seem to get more out of it. Connections, plenty of exit opportunities if they decide to leave investment banking after a few years. Probably making around $70K working crazy hours and having the potential to earn $100K+ by their mid 20s. I know one who goes to Vegas/Miami almost every other weekend when they have time off. They also have the option of going back to school eventually and have it get paid for by their employer.

Personally, I'm more interested in an interesting but difficult job.

Investment banking isn't for everyone though. I know someone who went in it for the money and gave up after about a year and a half. They didn't like the lifestyle. I've heard that private equity/venture capitalist are really fun to work in and get really interesting. And of course if you somehow are able to work at a hedge fund, you can make millions and billions if you run a very successful one.

I deal with investment bankers in my line of work. It is a miserable job full of miserable people. The hours are shit and so is the culture. Find something better to shoot for...this is some honest advice

Btw...you job, at least the mechanics of it, shouldn't be hard to you. You skill set may be hard to replace but you should be able to handle your job fairly easy. I've had jobs hat were difficult but only supervisors had crazy demands that had no basis in reason. But as soon as you set expectations about YOUR time they respect you more and the job is easier to manage.

Working 80 plus hours a week is hell unless it's for your own business. And honestly...everyone isn't cut out for that

hateraid
10-29-2015, 03:47 PM

The twist though is equal pay.

If I could go back now to GNC and make the same thing I'm making currently I'd consider it. My job right now is much more complex and detailed. Those interesting but difficult jobs also mean a higher level of expectation, which also adds the extra stress of having to perform.
The thing that also separates what I do now from what I did at GNC is a significant pay increase. That pay increase comes with a more significant job title and higher performance expectations which in terms makes me feel like I'm being paid my value. If I'm asked to work less and keep my salary, why now give it some serious thought?

Levity
10-29-2015, 03:52 PM
there's also such things as difficult jobs that become easy, because you know.. youre good a what you fcking do.

what category would that fall in?

West-Side
10-29-2015, 04:06 PM
there's also such things as difficult jobs that become easy, because you know.. youre good a what you fcking do.

what category would that fall in?

Pretty sure its meant at inception.
That's exactly my point.
I'd rather tackle a difficult but interesting job, stress and work hard initially and eventually gain valuable skills.

Skills at an easy job; the only rewards you get is money.

West-Side
10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
The twist though is equal pay.

If I could go back now to GNC and make the same thing I'm making currently I'd consider it. My job right now is much more complex and detailed. Those interesting but difficult jobs also mean a higher level of expectation, which also adds the extra stress of having to perform.
The thing that also separates what I do now from what I did at GNC is a significant pay increase. That pay increase comes with a more significant job title and higher performance expectations which in terms makes me feel like I'm being paid my value. If I'm asked to work less and keep my salary, why now give it some serious thought?

If the job was interesting than you wouldn't want to work less.
If it was interesting and you still want to work less; than you lack ambition and self value, IMO.

The way I look at an interesting but difficult job is "rewarding".
It helps you cultivate skills, keeps you proud of your accomplishments and creates a purpose to your life.

If it's a difficult job, that means not every can do it without learning it. You would have a sense of fulfillment.

bigkingsfan
10-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Your sense of fulfillment is tied to your salary and to move up the corporate ladder. If everyone makes the same amount then it is diminished, if not gone. You can also challenge yourself outside the workplace if you find it lacking, so don't let that stop you.

West-Side
10-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Your sense of fulfillment is tied to your salary and to move up the corporate ladder. If everyone makes the same amount then it is diminished, if not gone. You can also challenge yourself outside the workplace if you find it lacking, so don't let that stop you.

There are 168 hours in a week.
You're usually awake for 120 hours on average.
So 33% of your week you spend at work.
So I don't see a reason to pick a boring and easy job, and waste my day.

You'll feel greater sense of fulfillment when you accomplish thing; such as solving difficult problems, innovating etc.

A difficult job also means people are counting on your expertise, so you'll feel more value from the work you do.

I don't know, I guess too many couch potatoes on this forum.
Sure, it'd be nice to win a lottery and just enjoy life. But in this particular situation, you must choose a job of choice. I'd rather stay busy and develop my skill set, than be bored and develop lousy habits.

By the way, your sense of fulfillment is NOT tied strictly compensation; again, ambitious people don't just value monetary rewards. They are usually goal oriented, care about their professional development and enjoy challenging work.

hateraid
10-29-2015, 05:06 PM

You'll feel greater sense of fulfillment when you accomplish thing; such as solving difficult problems, innovating etc.

A difficult job also means people are counting on your expertise, so you'll feel more value from the work you do.

Sure, it'd be nice to win a lottery and just enjoy life. But in this particular situation, you must choose a job of choice. I'd rather stay busy and develop my skill set, than be bored and develop lousy habits.

By the way, your sense of fulfillment is NOT tied strictly compensation; again, ambitious people don't just value monetary rewards. They are usually goal oriented, care about their professional development and enjoy challenging work.

I wouldn't question my ambition. I worked to get where I am and am being compensated for the extra effort.

Again, you missed the point of equal pay. The idea I'm running behind is work smarter, not harder. What good is the monetary value if you are not being compensated? Are you rewarding yourself by being challenged? I'm no trying to say don't do both job at 100%, but give me the option of an easy task vs a hard task and being paid the exact same amount, I'll take the easy task. The huge co-factor here is LESS STRESS. You're willing to take on the burden of more work at a lower pay? Bro, I'll hire you an day of the weak with your attitude, but for your own sanity, you're making a bad decision for your personal well being.

riseagainst
10-29-2015, 05:07 PM
why not both easy and interesting, and it pays well?
:confusedshrug:

hateraid
10-29-2015, 05:16 PM

This is based on the assumption that the person who choses he easier job isn't willing to put 100% effort. Put it this way. You have 2 cashiers getting paid $20 an hour. Both are amazing cashiers. Person A is content with being a cashier. Person B wants to be challenged. So person B decides to do more managerial duties because they are interested in learning about running a business. So should person be take on more responsibility to gain the experience and knowledge but still get paid $20 an hour? There's the monetary value of the experience, but is it fair you are making the same amount as person A?
Like I said you are, you are an employers dream, but it isn't working smarter

sportsfan76
10-29-2015, 08:25 PM
any job where you work 9 to 5, get government holidays, and paid vacations. Jobs where you aren't answering calls at 9:00pm and not forced to come in on weekends to try and alleviate some of the workload. Jobs were you can regularly be home before 7:00pm.

I guess my definition of a challenging or difficult job is different then most people.

IMO if your working a 9-5 and get paid vacations, sick days, etc. your job really isn't that challenging in the grand scheme of things. You put time in and you answer to someone else in a higher position. Boo f*ckin hoo. How hard can that be.

Here's a question: what's more inherently challenging? Being a government scientist for NIH or running your own convenient store and/or gas station?

On one hand your utilizing an advanced degree and working in a field pushing boundaries. You get to work a set schedule and you have nice benefits.

If you run your own c-store ordering supplies may not be that complicated, but managing the entirety of the business with suppliers, employees, accounting, no benefits, and ultimate responsibility AND liability should anything go wrong?

You can have a "smart" job that's not hard at all, and you can have a "dumb" job that's insanely difficult.

That describes my job perfectly:rockon:

bigkingsfan
10-29-2015, 08:40 PM

I guarantee you won't feel that way once you find out the janitor is making the same amount as you.