PDA

View Full Version : How many rings does Jordan win if he played in the 00's or 10's eras?

TrueBlue89
10-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Considering he couldn't win in the 80s when Bird, Magic & Isiah were all in their prime dominating. How many does he win in the stacked 00's and 10's where talent wasn't sparse, competition wasn't diluted by multiple expansion teams and defensive schemes are far more sophisticated.

Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Titan Towers Spurs. 04 Pistons, Kobe/Pau Lakers, Big 3 Celtics. LeBron's Heat, Splash Bros, Harden/Durant/Westbrook Thunder, 12-15 Spurs all far better teams than the weak competition MJ faced in the weak 90s apart from Hakeem's Rockets which coincidentally :rolleyes: retired for.

He'd be facing elite wing defenders like Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Kawhi, Tony Allen, Iguodala, Tayshaun Prince, Jimmy Butler, Ron Artest. Jordan benefited facing bag boys like John Starks, journeymen like Russell & unathletic white boys like Ehlo & Ainge. The only great wing defender from that era was of course on his team. :facepalm

SsKSpurs21
10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
it was more physical back then and jordan still dominated... he would have a field day with the current rules...you thought DWade in the 06 finals was bad... that would be Jordan on a daily basis...

GIF REACTION
10-30-2015, 10:23 AM
it was more physical back then and jordan still dominated... he would have a field day with the current rules...you thought DWade in the 06 finals was bad... that would be Jordan on a daily basis...
:facepalm

sdot_thadon
10-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Considering he couldn't win in the 80s when Bird, Magic & Isiah were all in their prime dominating. How many does he win in the stacked 00's and 10's where talent wasn't sparse, competition wasn't diluted by multiple expansion teams and defensive schemes are far more sophisticated.

Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Titan Towers Spurs. 04 Pistons, Kobe/Pau Lakers, Big 3 Celtics. LeBron's Heat, Splash Bros, Harden/Durant/Westbrook Thunder, 12-15 Spurs all far better teams than the weak competition MJ faced in the weak 90s apart from Hakeem's Rockets which coincidentally :rolleyes: retired for.

He'd be facing elite wing defenders like Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Kawhi, Tony Allen, Iguodala, Tayshaun Prince, Jimmy Butler, Ron Artest. Jordan benefited facing bag boys like John Starks, journeymen like Russell & unathletic white boys like Ehlo & Ainge. The only great wing defender from that era was of course on his team. :facepalm
Hard to say, lots of hypotheticals to consider. I think he still wins multiple rings, perhaps not 6. The reason being is everything has to fall in place to win a ring. There's no guarantee of 6 rings even with a 90's do over. No major injuries(to Mj nor his teammates ), not many ATG teams as opponents. No zone, none of this eras more athletic perimeter defenders. Would he have Phil to reign him in? Lots of things to consider.

Sarcastic
10-30-2015, 11:21 AM
He would win every year.

AirFederer
10-30-2015, 11:22 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpnxI4z1Ksjsnwk/giphy.gif

AirFederer
10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
]it was more physical back then[/B] and jordan still dominated... he would have a field day with the current rules...you thought DWade in the 06 finals was bad... that would be Jordan on a daily basis...
https://media0.giphy.com/media/dhZPph7Y3x6sU/200.gif

:lol
:cheers:

sekachu
10-30-2015, 11:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fsUdNIy6M

Watch this, then think about what prime MJ would do today.

Hey Yo
10-30-2015, 11:59 AM
He would win every year.
Impossible to do so cause we know he would have quit the league at some point in his prime, due to lack of mental toughness.

sdot_thadon
10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Impossible to do so cause we know he would have quit the league at some point in his prime, due to lack of mental toughness.
Funny you say that, little known fact he entertained the prospect of quitting before he ever won anything....

Sarcastic
10-30-2015, 12:42 PM

You can afford to do that when you're the GOAT.

brain drain
10-30-2015, 01:26 PM
He'd dominate in an unprecedented way. Actually, in these extremely weak eras, I'd say it's not inconceivable that he's average > 1 ring per season.
So, by my scientificy projections, he'd probably have won 12.3 rings in the 00s and about 15.7 rings in the 10s.

Maybe a bit more, because I didn't fully include the lack of handchecking in my calculations, which would of course only increase his projected ring count.

EllisGW
10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
In terms of talent Jordan era was the worst in basketball

Dr Hawk
10-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Eleven

Sarcastic
10-30-2015, 01:36 PM
In terms of talent Jordan era was the worst in basketball

And yet that was when the NBA was most popular. So I guess people don't like to watch talented players?

Dr Hawk
10-30-2015, 01:38 PM
And yet that was when the NBA was most popular. So I guess people don't like to watch talented players?

Sarcastic
Sarcastic
Sarcastic
Sarcastic
Sarcastic
Sarcastic
Sarcastic

AnaheimLakers24
10-30-2015, 01:42 PM
He'd lose to the 3peat lakers and to the 2peat lakers. (Lakerd would 3 peat in this scenerio though.

jordan wins from 03-07 and again from 11-15

SouBeachTalents
10-30-2015, 01:45 PM
He'd lose to the 3peat lakers and to the 2peat lakers. (Lakerd would 3 peat in this scenerio though.

:lol

pauk
10-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Has nothing to do with era....... has to do with supporting cast, you take away the teammates / coach he had and replace them with scrubs and he pretty much will end up ringless in any era except for maybe 30s or something....

Thats what rings are... team accomplishments... fact is Michael Jordan is the greatest individual player i have ever seen and arguably the most impactful/dominant, he was the most meaningful aswell, thats how i rank my players / criteria, he is #1 for me without any ring...... seriously, ask yourself, is he really any different individual talent just because his supporting cast was horrible holding him from winning 6 championships? NO.... I exclude rings completely when evaluating an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER, completely meaningless, its about the context of the championship run itself from the individual players standpoint itself (his performance, role, impact based on what he had to work with around him).

HOoopCityJones
10-30-2015, 01:50 PM

This seems legit to me.:applause:

Sarcastic
10-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Why would anyone assume that he wouldn't have teammates? Isn't this a super stacked era. So much talent everywhere that we are swimming in it.

Cold soul
10-30-2015, 02:12 PM
I have no idea hard question to answer anywhere from 5-7 rings sounds about right.

riseagainst
10-30-2015, 02:17 PM

:applause:

right on point.

OldSchoolBBall
10-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Are we assuming Jordan has his Bulls teams? If so, and we match them up as below, this is what I feel the outcome would be:

1991 Bulls vs. 2000 Lakers - Bulls in 6/7. Bulls had way better chemistry, Kobe hadn't fully blossomed yet, and Chicago's post help defense would fluster Shaq enough to win the series imo.

1992 Bulls vs. 2001 Lakers - even odds, possibly slight edge Bulls

1993 Bulls vs. 2002 Lakers - Bulls in 7

1996 Bulls vs. 2005 Spurs - Bulls in 6-7

1997 Bulls vs. 2006 Mavs - Bulls in 5-6

1998 Bulls vs. 2007 Spurs - Bulls in 6-7, possibly 7 games due to SA being a younger core.

dhsilv
10-30-2015, 07:29 PM
:facepalm

This is all that can be said....just :facepalm

dhsilv
10-30-2015, 07:30 PM

you realize it's more popular now right?

diamenz
10-30-2015, 07:56 PM
no one man could stop michael - it was always a team effort. with the spacing of today and how superstar teams stack the deck, he would win it every year.

Duffy Pratt
10-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Depends on whether he gets to play with Ditka or not.