PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry Discussion Thread

k0kakw0rld
10-31-2015, 09:52 PM
They are both better than Paul ever was or will be

Can't wait for OKC vs Warriors, can't wait for Curry to expose Russ fraud defense.

catch24
10-31-2015, 09:56 PM
I think it's been dead. At least it should've been last season.

Kblaze8855
10-31-2015, 09:58 PM
No argument that extensive is ever over. People will just bounce back and forth saying it is from each angle at any moment one of them does something absurd. These things dont get settled. Ever. People still argue Frazier vs Earl Monroe.

I remember the running joke was how Marbury owned Parker then suddenly Marbury was washed up at 27 and nobody gives a shit he ever existed.

How it all turns out remains to be seen.

inclinerator
10-31-2015, 09:59 PM
paul still is better than them lol

ShawkFactory
10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Short memories. People seriously forgetting how good Chris Paul was in 08 or so.

Though I will agree that eventually curry and Westbrook will both be considered better. So it seems weird to argue against right now.

I just feel like CP3 is so attacked for being overrated on here that he's underrated.

Young X
10-31-2015, 10:03 PM
I think it's been dead. At least it should've been last season.Why should it have been dead last season?

Paul was brilliant last season. There were definitely people who preferred his efficiency and all around game/impact over Curry.

What Curry's doing so far this season though? Yeah...

It's still early though, but yeah.

catch24
10-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Why should it have been dead last season?

Paul was brilliant last season. There were definitely people who preferred his efficiency and all around game/impact over Curry.

Paul was brilliant last year. Curry was just better.

Better offensive player, better defensive player, and had more impact on BOTH offense and defense per advanced metrics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2015/sort/RPM/position/1

juju151111
10-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Why should it have been dead last season?

Curry had more impact then Paul last season. No way he was better then Curry last season. None

DMAVS41
10-31-2015, 10:07 PM
I think it's been dead. At least it should've been last season.

Really?

15 Curry vs 08 Paul just isn't even debatable to you?

I mean...I actually think Curry is better, but ugh....not even a debate? Just don't think that is true.

Or are you just saying currently?

Graviton
10-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Paul is getting older and slowing down, but he is still in their tier. Though ESPN put CP3 and Westbrook #6 and #7. Obviously their impact is not yet at the level of the great James Harden.

juju151111
10-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Really?

I mean...I actually think Curry is better, but ugh....not even a debate? Just don't think that is true.
How is it debatable? Curry is simply better. He was better offensively and played good defensively and had a superior playoffs.

Monta Ellis MVP
10-31-2015, 10:10 PM
Paul is getting older and slowing down, but he is still in their tier. Though ESPN put CP3 and Westbrook #6 and #7. Obviously their impact is not yet at the level of the great James Harden.

ESPN with that cringe worthy analysis. :applause:

catch24
10-31-2015, 10:10 PM
Really?

Or are you just saying currently?

Pretty sure "Young X" was discussing Curry and Paul last season.

If that's still the comparison, I don't think it was debatable. Curry was superior on both ends and had more impact as the numbers show.

notatop29pg
10-31-2015, 10:11 PM
Right now probably.

D-Will, Rose, Rondo, Paul, Curry...

Only one of them has been doing it for 10 years.

DMAVS41
10-31-2015, 10:11 PM
Pretty sure "Young X" was discussing Curry and Paul last season.

If that's still the comparison, I don't think it was debatable. Curry was superior on both ends and had more impact as the numbers show.

That is why I asked if you were just talking currently. Yea...Curry was better than Paul last season.

DMAVS41
10-31-2015, 10:12 PM
How is it debatable? Curry is simply better. He was better offensively and played good defensively and had a superior playoffs.

I really don't know man. I'd actually take Curry in 15 over Paul in 08, but ugh...Paul was incredible...I definitely think it's debatable.

catch24
10-31-2015, 10:12 PM
That is why I asked if you were just talking currently. Yea...Curry was better than Paul last season.

Cool. :cheers:

juju151111
10-31-2015, 10:13 PM
15 Curry is better then any Cp3 season bro

DMAVS41
10-31-2015, 10:14 PM
15 Curry is better then any Cp3 season bro

I think I actually agree with this, but it's very close...you aren't giving Paul enough credit...bro.

KG215
10-31-2015, 10:15 PM
I'd be more inclined to say yes if Curry hadn't had two huge games against the same team in less than a week. This may just say more about the Pelicans and their defense than anything else.

Monta Ellis MVP
10-31-2015, 10:16 PM
I'd be more inclined to say yes if Curry hadn't had two huge games against the same team in less than a week. This may just say more about the Pelicans and their defense than anything else.

Jrue Holiday is one of the best point guard defenders in the league and he was guarding Curry tonight. The defense was good, Curry's offense was better.

Young X
10-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Paul was brilliant last year. Curry was just better.

Better offensive player, better defensive player, and had more impact on BOTH offense and defense per advanced metrics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2015/sort/RPM/position/1That's one metric. That doesn't = more impact.

That very same metric said CP3 had more impact than Durant in 2014.

Monta Ellis MVP
10-31-2015, 10:18 PM
That's one metric. That doesn't = more impact.

They could be onto something. CP3 was creating an entire team's offense while Durant was running isolations over and over and over.

Rocketswin2013
10-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Curry has been undoubtedly better than both the past two seasons.

Curry doesn't even seem to be better as a player than he was last season. This is just...A hot streak. It's just manifesting in boxscore statistics.

Curry wasn't being doubled after coming off of screens against NOP in the opener, drops 40. In a normal game he gets trapped and harassed and only gets 23. Gravity and impact is all there...Team still blows the opposition out all the same.

Rockets as usual played shit defense on him so I don't even have to go there. Drops an easy 26 on 14 shots. Team routs Houston. Could've put up 30+ if Houston gave him a reason to through playing better offensively. He settles for a hyper-efficient 25.

Tonight? I haven't watched yet but I'm willing to bet they are the same shots he would've hit last year if given a chance. I hope someone can correct me if he was hitting unusually difficult shots against great defense. Either way his offensive capability and impact is just clearly better than Curry and Paul's any given game.

Meanwhile Westbrook is scoring 33 and 48 in mid-80's West kind of games in which both teams scored over 110 and and 135+. People go crazy. :facepalm Team could easily be 0-2.

edit: watching and he's hitting some absurd shots. wow.

sd3035
10-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Curry and Westbrook are in the top 3 along with KD, CP3 isn't even top 10

catch24
10-31-2015, 10:21 PM

True, but Paul played ~20 games less than Durant, so you gotta account for that stuff.

Crazily enough, KD still had the greater ORPM (offense). That's how amazing his scoring was that season.

juju151111
10-31-2015, 10:23 PM

The stat just shows how they impact games. Its one of the best stats, but any stat needs context because it also say andre had a better rating then Durant. Cp3 was only a small amount less then Durant offensively then cp3 that season and was a small amount vetter defensively. You can't take Durant high scoring games and just thonk he was automatically better then everyone. Paul makes passes amd control the flow of the game efficiently. It just shows the impact with no bias

Young X
10-31-2015, 10:34 PM
True, but Paul played ~20 games less than Durant, so you gotta account for that stuff.

Crazily enough, KD still had the greater ORPM (offense). That's how amazing his scoring was that season.It's still saying Paul in 62 games had more impact than Durant had in 81 for 2014. Do you agree with that?

It's also saying Draymond Green had the 8th highest impact in 2015.

I'm not saying the metric can't be useful but you can't just rely on one to tell you who had more impact.

If you followed both players' seasons and analyzed what they both brought to their teams I don't see you could say it wasn't at least somewhat debatable last season. But that's just me.

Monta Ellis MVP
10-31-2015, 10:38 PM
It's still saying Paul in 62 games had more impact than Durant had in 81 for 2014. Do you agree with that?

I'm not saying the metric can't be useful but you can't just rely on one to tell you who had more impact.

If you followed both players' seasons and analyzed what they both brought to their teams I don't see you could say it wasn't at least somewhat debatable last season. But that's just me.

The way that stat works out to be average per game, not totals.

So what it was saying is that Chris Paul had more impact than Kevin Durant on a per game basis.

If Chris Paul only played 20 games or so you could maybe say it was too small of a sample size. With 62 games it's a pretty accurate reading on Chris Paul's level of play that season, and it was higher than Kevin Durant's.

This makes sense because Chris Paul creates an entire offense while Kevin Durant runs a lot of isos and doesn't create for the rest of his team like Paul does.

catch24
10-31-2015, 10:52 PM
It's still saying Paul in 62 games had more impact than Durant had in 81 for 2014. Do you agree with that?

You gotta account for volume, and Paul played 20 less games than Durant.

That will skew the comparisons a bit.

As will an outlier like Draymond Green who doesn't get the same minutes as a LeBron, KD or Chris Paul.

Everything in context dude.

dhsilv
10-31-2015, 11:02 PM

Crazily enough, KD still had the greater ORPM (offense). That's how amazing his scoring was that season.

WAR does account for it which is why it's right there next to the RPM stat.