PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Tony Parker?

westsideozzie
11-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Geez he's pedestrian now. Defensive liability and looks to get bailed out by the refs at every opportunity. I thought Aldridge would make life better for him but he looks like a 10 pt 5 assist guy now. Would love to trade some of that redundant front court depth for a more viable backup point!

BasedTom
11-01-2015, 11:34 PM
He was never good.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Got fat.

fpliii
11-01-2015, 11:37 PM
He was never good.
:applause:

Nick Young
11-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Saving himself for the finals. The regular season is a marathon, not a sprint.

TaLvsCuaL
11-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Pau took His soul this summer :lol

FKAri
11-01-2015, 11:42 PM
A PG who's greatest asset was his speed. What do you think happened?

rmt
11-01-2015, 11:43 PM
What a waste of $12-$15mil/year. At least when Manu aged, he's still a playmaker and can pass. Whoever thought Duncan would out-last Parker.

The backcourt & SF depth is a concern. Losing Belli and Joseph will hurt during the regular season. Manu should only be playing 15 mins/game. Anderson and the scrubs are terrible. Parker's gonna get burned by the PGs of the west (Westbrooke, Paul, Lillard, etc).

FKAri
11-01-2015, 11:47 PM
What a waste of $12-$15mil/year. At least when Manu aged, he's still a playmaker and can pass. Whoever thought Duncan would out-last Parker.

The backcourt & SF depth is a concern. Losing Belli and Joseph will hurt during the regular season. Manu should only be playing 15 mins/game. Anderson and the scrubs are terrible. Parker's gonna get burned by the PGs of the west (Westbrooke, Paul, Lillard, etc).

Everybody

Proctor
11-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Honestly, to me most of his value is in his familiarity with the system and Manu/Duncan. I think he will be somewhat better throughout the year, but it is certain his best years are behind him.

T_L_P
11-02-2015, 12:33 AM
He's always been a defensive liability, but with his nagging injuries and poor conditioning (he can only stay in shape by playing summer ball, which leads to more injuries), he's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen right now.

OKC ran their crunch-time offense through Dion because Parker was on him. And they have two of the five or so best players in the world. That's how bad it is.

Oh, and he's a ball-stopper on offense to boot. And Pop is too scared to bench him.

It's not good.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-02-2015, 12:43 AM
He was never good.

:applause:

Artillery
11-02-2015, 01:45 AM
He was never good.

:rockon: truthbomb right here

Spurs were never a big three. They were a big TWO comprised of Duncan and Manu. Parker's skillset and bball IQ is trash compared to those two legends. They're both almost 40 years old and still outplaying a 33 year old Parker.

Career Playoff BPM:
6.0 - Duncan
5.4 - Manu
0.0 - Parker

Career Playoff PER:
24.6 - Duncan
19.8 - Manu
16.9 - Parker

Career Playoff WS/48:
.197 - Duncan
.169 - Manu
.085 - Parker

Career Playoff TS%:
.580 - Manu
.550 - Duncan
.514 - Parker

Parker's playoff numbers are pitiful across the board.

JohnFreeman
11-02-2015, 01:46 AM
He was never good.
I actually agree

alanLA92
11-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Can't even remember the last season that Parker was better than average. No joke, can't remember lol

Only thing I remember is Parker stat paddling in the 4th qyr of Finals game 5 in 2014.

Spurs m8
11-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Well considering how long and far he's helped carry the Spurs at PG, you'd have to be a dumb cnt to say he was never good.

I don't blow him up either though, but he's been more than serviceable up until recently.

Cnts older and relies on a fairly athletic game, pretty simple tbh

Artillery
11-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Oh, and he's a ball-stopper on offense to boot.

Zach Lowe agrees:

http://i67.tinypic.com/160626p.png

And Pop is too scared to bench him.

It's not good.

Pop treats him like his own son and refuses to bench him to the detriment of the team. Watching the Clippers series was a nightmare. Chris Paul and Austin Rivers were taking turns murdering Parker. Meanwhile, Patty Mills is bombing away from three point land and keeping the Spurs in the game only to be subbed out for the French loser.

JohnFreeman
11-02-2015, 01:58 AM
I thought Pop semi hated Parker?

bigkingsfan
11-02-2015, 02:00 AM
A PG who's greatest asset was his speed. What do you think happened?
This, 15th season, that's what happened. There was a stretch for a few years when he was the Spurs best player.

Artillery
11-02-2015, 02:07 AM
I thought Pop semi hated Parker?

lol, the media exaggerates this. Pop USED to hate him(which was a good thing). When Parker was choking or playing terrible in the playoffs, Pop had no problem subbing his ass out for vets that can actually close the games. Speedy Claxton in the 2003 Finals. Brent Barry in the 2005 Finals.

Nowadays, Pop doesn't give a **** and will roll with Parker every time in the 4th, even when it's obvious to everyone that he sucks. Pop has ALWAYS had a preference for vet players. Parker's a vet himself so Pop actually likes him now(too much I'd say).

Spurs m8
11-02-2015, 02:44 AM
LOL

Pop and Parker and good friends tbh

BasedTom
11-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Well considering how long and far he's helped carry the Spurs at PG, you'd have to be a dumb cnt to say he was never good.

I don't blow him up either though, but he's been more than serviceable up until recently.

Cnts older and relies on a fairly athletic game, pretty simple tbh
lol :lol

you either don't watch the spurs much or you're a dumb ****

Artillery
11-02-2015, 03:06 AM
Can't even remember the last season that Parker was better than average. No joke, can't remember lol

Only thing I remember is Parker stat paddling in the 4th qyr of Finals game 5 in 2014.

2014 playoffs were interesting. It seemed like the Spurs played much better when Parker was off the court. Blew out the Blazers in game 5 without Parker. Eliminated the Thunder on their own court in game 6 with Parker missing the game due to injury. Were getting killed by the Heat in game 5 until Parker was subbed out for Mills who ended up going ham from three point range.

IMO, Parker was always a bad fit for the Spurs due to his inability to shoot from long range. The Spurs style of balls needs three point shooters in their backcourt. The fact that Parker's been in the league for so long and has yet to show us a credible three point shot speaks volumes about his poor work ethic. Even Jason Kidd eventually ended up becoming a good three point shooter late in his career.

bdreason
11-02-2015, 04:12 AM
Lost his jets.

RoseCity07
11-02-2015, 04:32 AM
People said he sucked 2 years ago but weren't saying that when he swished in that 3 to pull ahead of Miami in game 6 NBA Finals. If Leonard didn't choke on his FTs Spurs would have been champions. He is an important piece. He's poised, knows the system, and will step up when it matters. Spurs are not about superstars. They're a puzzle and every piece contributes to winning.

ArbitraryWater
11-02-2015, 04:37 AM
MVP Candidate in 2013 but "never good" allllrightyyy

Kawhi
11-02-2015, 04:46 AM
Enrique is a total clown who hurts the team every second he's on the floor. A completely useless scrub. He's too old to get in the paint now, and since he never was nor ever will be a good 3 point shooter, Porker is a complete non factor. Just a few nights ago, this dude was getting torched by Dion Waiters. :facepalm

Pop needs to man up and bench his ass. Start Mills.

Kawhi
11-02-2015, 04:49 AM
People said he sucked 2 years ago but weren't saying that when he swished in that 3 to pull ahead of Miami in game 6 NBA Finals. If Leonard didn't choke on his FTs Spurs would have been champions. He is an important piece. He's poised, knows the system, and will step up when it matters. Spurs are not about superstars. They're a puzzle and every piece contributes to winning.
He'll step up like he stepped up in the Clippers series last season? :confusedshrug:

36% FG, 22% 3pt, 85 ORtg, 113 DRtg. :facepalm Just five more minutes of Mills of Joseph would've won us the series.

livingby3's
11-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Take either Bledsoe or Knight and Tucker

BasedTom
11-02-2015, 05:03 AM
an even bigger joke than Rose 2011 or his fmvp

AirFederer
11-02-2015, 05:48 AM
He`s done in his current role. Don`t know if he can fill another role for the Spurs in a valuable way. Should come off the bench and score with the reserves.

dhsilv
11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
He has shown signs the last few years that he can make a jump shot. If he can focus on that and improve another few percent like kidd did, he could still have some value. Without that he's a HUGE liability. The problem is as others have said his game was always about his speed. He simply was able to use his speed within the spur's offense. That's not enough..

Kawhi
11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
He`s done in his current role. Don`t know if he can fill another role for the Spurs in a valuable way. Should come off the bench and score with the reserves.
That's the point, he has no other role. His game is to get to the paint. Now that he can't do that anymore, he is a huge liability out there, since he has no three point shot whatsoever. In the OKC game Enrique couldn't get by Kanter of all people, probably the worst defender ever. :facepalm

Porker :facepalm

Mills >
Joseph >
McCallum >
Anderson >

keep-itreal
11-02-2015, 08:19 AM
got paid

got fat

90sgoat
11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
It's obvious Mills is the better player now, Pop should bench Parker, he would be more effective against second lines.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Lost his speed and started eating more

he was never that skilled, relied on physical gifts. Look at Manu one of the most skilled players ever all the mileage hes had from international too and hes still balling right now

Mills and Cory have been better than Tony the last couple seasons if youve been payin attention

Artillery
11-02-2015, 08:35 AM

MVP candidates don't get outplayed by Mario ****ing Chalmers in the NBA Finals. Parker's performance in the 2013 Finals is among the worst ever for an "MVP candidate"

Genaro
11-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Got older, got fatter.

Haymaker
11-02-2015, 08:44 AM
I swear this thread appears every damn year. :oldlol:

90sgoat
11-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Some of you are overreacting though. Parker is still very important to run the offense, which is predicated on getting into the top of the paint and Parker can still get there to make the first pass.

HOoopCityJones
11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
"Never Good"

:roll: Spurs fans, throwing Tony under a bus since 05.

Tony was the best player on the Spurs until Kawhi's emergence, whoever says different is trolling.

thefatmiral
11-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Pretty obvious but it's in the hands of popovich now to cut his mins.

But he can still ball occasionally. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGN2x8nGnh4

Paul George 24
11-02-2015, 11:56 AM
6-23 fg in game 6..............................:confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
MVP candidates don't get outplayed by Mario ****ing Chalmers in the NBA Finals. Parker's performance in the 2013 Finals is among the worst ever for an "MVP candidate"

Dafuq? Do you just pull random shit outta your ass? :oldlol:

WayOfWade
11-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Dafuq? Do you just pull random shit outta your ass? :oldlol:
I think he just did, I don't recall Chalmers doing anything notable in the 2013 finals. 2012 was his year

T_L_P
11-02-2015, 12:26 PM
I think he just did, I don't recall Chalmers doing anything notable in the 2013 finals. 2012 was his year

Obviously Tony outplayed Mario overall, but Chalmers outscored Parker in games 6 and 7 of the 2013 Finals (Tony shot 26% in those two games and scored 19 points to Mario's 34 points).

ArbitraryWater
11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Obviously Tony outplayed Mario overall, but Chalmers outscored Parker in games 6 and 7 of the 2013 Finals (Tony shot 26% in those two games and scored 19 points to Mario's 34 points).

Thats LeBron's defense bro, GOAT level defender at his peak, can't fault Tony.

T_L_P
11-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Thats LeBron's defense bro, GOAT level defender at his peak, can't fault Tony.

No, you can, becuase it was Tony's WOAT-level defense that let a complete scrub like Mario put up 34 points in two games on his ass.

SCdac
11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
As long as Parker can stay consistent in his jump shot, and (try to) stay in front of his man on defense, he should be alright. He brings experience at the least. He's older and slower now so the decrease in slashing and breaking down defenses is understandable, but he needs to be confident in both his midrange and three point shot for Spurs to work. When that happens, it opens up the lanes more for himself and others. He's hit game-winners and plenty of big shots so it's totally within his capability to be a good shooter. When he's not shooting well, he becomes a non factor if not a negative. personally I wanted Spurs to trade him while his stock was higher about 3 years ago but I'm glad it never happened and he helped contribute to another championship. He's a team player, but has gotten old quick and for his position that's tough. If he can hit that midrange and long distance shot when defenders back off of him it'll work imo. defensively he's no stalwart

Proctor
11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
No, you can, becuase it was Tony's WOAT-level defense that let a complete scrub like Mario put up 34 points in two games on his ass.
Mario might be a scrub (or playing like one) now, but he wasn't then. Parker's not pulling his weight offensively, that's for sure, but if he were, most people here would be excusing his defensive liabilities. He is still critically important to the team whether you like it or not.

aj1987
11-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Parker averaged 23/4/7/1 on 48/38/80 shooting through the first 3 rounds, including closeout games of 23/3/4/2 on 56% and 37/4/6 on 71%. Dude was in MVP talks during the RS and finished 6th.

:oldlol: @ all the players calling him scrub.

r0drig0lac
11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
this, some unbelievable comments

HurricaneKid
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Parker averaged 23/4/7/1 on 48/38/80 shooting through the first 3 rounds, including closeout games of 23/3/4/2 on 56% and 37/4/6 on 71%. Dude was in MVP talks during the RS and finished 6th.

:oldlol: @ all the players calling him scrub.

It should be noted that Noah placed 4th this year and he is averaging 2.5ppg and is CERTAINLY a scrub.

The whole point of the thread is to show just how far he has fallen. He was awful last year, horrific in Eurobasket, and is borderline out of the league at this point. He will certainly be overtaken by Patty Mills this year.