PDA

View Full Version : D' Russell doesn't get a lot of Assists for a guy who supposedly "A great passer"

poido123
11-02-2015, 12:23 AM
real talk.

isn't he supposed to be a good shooter too?

:oldlol:

Cocaine80s
11-02-2015, 12:33 AM
You mad that hes already better than D rose?

STATUTORY
11-02-2015, 12:35 AM
assist is not a good measure of passing ability

drive and kick guys accumulate assists

great passers get hockey assists

no pun intended
11-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Russell is having a difficult time finding his role as either a score-first or pass-first point guard within the system, or lack thereof. It's obvious that he does not know what to do with the ball half of the time.

Mr. Jabbar

Thick post.

outbreak
For some reason the lakers don't let him run the offence.
The tank is strong.

http://i.imgsafe.org/d09f4c4.jpg

senelcoolidge
11-02-2015, 12:37 AM
For some reason the lakers don't let him run the offence.
The tank is strong.

http://i.imgsafe.org/d09f4c4.jpg

Because they don't trust him, he's turnover prone.

poido123
11-02-2015, 12:41 AM

You'd expect more than 2 assists per 23 minutes doe.

outbreak
11-02-2015, 12:47 AM

Russell gets no hockey assists either though....

He just plays off the ball and scores an open jumper now and then while playing zero defence.

bigkingsfan
11-02-2015, 12:47 AM
As a starting pg you get three assist by accident.

Jameerthefear
11-02-2015, 12:55 AM
he's a bust

FKAri
11-02-2015, 12:59 AM
He's barely involved in the offense. He doesn't bring it up or handle it much. He's playing like he's there to be a spot up shooter.

DaOldLion
11-02-2015, 01:01 AM
His shooters don't do him many favors to be honest

poido123
11-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Mr Randle looking a nice pick tho...

Artillery
11-02-2015, 03:11 AM
he aint a point guard. he should be starting shooting guard. kobe's just holding back his development.

Bless Mathews
11-02-2015, 03:23 AM
As a starting pg you get three assist by accident.

Another good Poast.

You're still a ****** doe.

Shih508
11-02-2015, 04:08 AM
It's hard to get assist when ur team's #1 is shooting at 30.x% for the season

Gileraracer
11-02-2015, 04:10 AM
#bust

PP34Deuce
11-02-2015, 02:24 PM
If you expect Steph Curry... you'll be dissappointed.

If you expect average defense but a guy that will be 16PPG 5 and 8 assists per game. I believe thats his ability.

A very solid starter.

Orlando Magic
11-02-2015, 02:31 PM
How the **** is he supposed to get assists when he's passing to Kobe?

/thread

I<3NBA
11-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Lakers have no offense at all.

and they drafted a PG, but doesn't let him bring up the ball.

:lol

Genaro
11-02-2015, 02:35 PM
He's playing SG, not handling the ball much and playing with 3 scorers.
I think that he would do better play making wise if he had the ball in his hands more. He would turn the ball over a lot but that what rookie seasons are for, make mistakes, get better. Of course Byron is an idiot and have him on a short leash. Last night when he finally hit 2 shots, he was take out to put Lou in.

His shoot isn't what I expected but he needs to find ways of overcoming that. He should infiltrate more. Whenever he gets a screen, he settles for the mid range shot. I wish he goes to the rim to make some layups or draw fouls.

Long story short: He fell on the wrong team with a bunch of chuckers and score first guys but now he needs to be more aggressive and go to the rim if his shot isn't falling. Byron stagnated offense doesn't help either.

Optimus Prime
11-02-2015, 03:01 PM
#bust

#TheNextDarko

f0und
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
so they spend their #2 pick on a pg. decides not to play him at pg and instead opting to play him out of position where he's ineffective, underutilizing his potential? how the *uck does that make sense?

Derka
11-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Three games into the season = prime time for a ISH overreaction thread or seven. Well done, fellas. :applause:

ClipperRevival
11-02-2015, 05:23 PM
He's playing SG, not handling the ball much and playing with 3 scorers.
I think that he would do better play making wise if he had the ball in his hands more. He would turn the ball over a lot but that what rookie seasons are for, make mistakes, get better. Of course Byron is an idiot and have him on a short leash. Last night when he finally hit 2 shots, he was take out to put Lou in.

His shoot isn't what I expected but he needs to find ways of overcoming that. He should infiltrate more. Whenever he gets a screen, he settles for the mid range shot. I wish he goes to the rim to make some layups or draw fouls.

Long story short: He fell on the wrong team with a bunch of chuckers and score first guys but now he needs to be more aggressive and go to the rim if his shot isn't falling. Byron stagnated offense doesn't help either.

You're kidding right? Do you even watch the games? He's had plenty of chances to create opportunities for both himself and for others but that's hard to do when you defer almost every time the ball swings your way. It's just that simple. You can't impact the game much as a PG if you NEVER try to break down the D but just defer every time the ball swings your way. He's pretty much playing the role of fringe role player right now.

Genaro
11-02-2015, 05:31 PM
You're kidding right? Do you even watch the games? He's had plenty of chances to create opportunities for both himself and for others but that's hard to do when you defer almost every time the ball swings your way. It's just that simple. You can't impact the game much as a PG if you NEVER try to break down the D but just defer every time the ball swings your way. He's pretty much playing the role of fringe role player right now.
Yes, I watched every Lakers game in the season so far, watched summer league and pre season.
Byron's offense says he should give the ball up when he reaches the offensive floor and then get it back (you can see it happening when Huertas is on the floor), but playing with Clarkson, Kobe and Randle the ball never gets back.
Is he shy offensively? No doubt about but playing with 3 ball hoggs isn't helping. I bet that if he was on the Sixers or the Nuggets he would be playing better. The shyness can be worked. He has to demand the ball more often and run pick and rolls.

TemporaMutantur
11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
How the **** is he supposed to get assists when he's passing to Kobe?

/thread

Pretty much. 200th best player in the league has to stop chucking and make the extra pass.

ClipperRevival
11-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Yes, I watched every Lakers game in the season so far, watched summer league and pre season.
Byron's offense says he should give the ball up when he reaches the offensive floor and then get it back (you can see it happening when Huertas is on the floor), but playing with Clarkson, Kobe and Randle the ball never gets back.
Is he shy offensively? No doubt about but playing with 3 ball hoggs isn't helping. I bet that if he was on the Sixers or the Nuggets he would be playing better. The shyness can be worked. He has to demand the ball more often and run pick and rolls.

I always say you warrant the touches you get in this league. Meaning the more you produce given the opportunities, the more the offense will cater around you. On the flip side, you can do the opposite. Get the touches but don't produce. Right now, Russell does nothing but defer. It has nothing to do with the system or who he's playing with. He is simply not doing anything when he has the ball. That's what role players do. It's up to him to be more aggressive. He lacks quickness so he needs to master the p&r to get open looks. But even in the p&r, he's deferring like 80% of the time.

Having said that, mastering the p&r will take time. But that's where he'll need to be great at because he's not going to lose many guys against set defenders.