PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't curry's defenders keep a hand straight up?

MoBe1Kanobi
11-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Srsly

I keep my right hand straight up at all times when playing D at the 3 point line and after doing it the last few years I wonder why ANYONE plays D any other way

Players are much more hesitant to shoot just cuz u actually appear taller/longer to them

Everytime I see steph hit a 3 on Toney Douglas crouched and hands wide at his waist its a damn shame

I know it sounds simple but I swear I never see it jus sayn

TheImmortal
11-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Spoken like a dude who never excelled defensively/ never played high school ball. Keeping your hand up will get you crossed up real quick since you'd be in a more precarious / unbalanced/ less reactive to movement position. You want to keep your center of gravity low when guarding quick players.. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, Curry can step back and create separation and still make the shot with a hand in his face.

sdot_thadon
11-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Also curry might have the smallest widow ever to get a shot off, it's just tough when he gathers and releases so quick and from so many different situations.

90sgoat
11-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Spoken like a dude who never excelled defensively/ never played high school ball. Keeping your hand up will get you crossed up real quick since you'd be in a more precarious / unbalanced/ less reactive to movement position. You want to keep your center of gravity low when guarding quick players.. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, Curry can step back and create separation and still make the shot with a hand in his face.

That and the fact that modern players are HORRIBLE defenders. Look at what a guy like Kawhi who actually plays tough defense can do to these 'superstars'.

Most players today never learned to play defense, where should they have learned it? AAU? That's a joke, AAU basically has no defense, high school is the same.

It's absurd but modern NBA players basically lack fundamental skills, such as blocking out and playing defense.

sdot_thadon
11-02-2015, 08:04 AM
That and the fact that modern players are HORRIBLE defenders. Look at what a guy like Kawhi who actually plays tough defense can do to these 'superstars'.

Most players today never learned to play defense, where should they have learned it? AAU? That's a joke, AAU basically has no defense, high school is the same.

It's absurd but modern NBA players basically lack fundamental skills, such as blocking out and playing defense.
Actually they do an admirable job despite the fact they had to learn their craft in a nearly hands off manner compared to the guys you know and love who got to molest players in comparison. I'd say it takes more skill to be even a decent defender than it did in the 90's.

ImKobe
11-02-2015, 08:05 AM
He's simply too quick and his offensive game is way too elite for a defender to be doing that. If you try to extend yourself he'll just blow by you before you can even react... if it was as easy as keeping a hand up, everyone would be doing it.

90sgoat
11-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Actually they do an admirable job despite the fact they had to learn their craft in a nearly hands off manner compared to the guys you know and love who got to molest players in comparison. I'd say it takes more skill to be even a decent defender than it did in the 90's.

Well yeah, defenders are handicapped on small guards sure. Nothing to do really, love it or hate it, I mostly hate it.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-02-2015, 09:01 AM
What I would do is throw a larger defender on him with some length, you got to chase him through every screen, have your big hedge hard, try to force him to one side, and face-guard him if possible. I wouldn't switch at all. Curry only needs the smallest of space and he'll shoot it. You can't let that little ****er run around and get what he wants like you see in the Pelicans game highlights. If he shoots a somewhat contested 28 footer and makes it then you just gotta tip your cap. Dude is the GOAT shooter. It's really the lesser of the evils tho because once he starts getting the lane and making plays it's over. Also, obviously make him work on defense. Can't have a offensively shit pg or sg (since Klay would probably just switch on the better).

Danny Green did as good a job as I've seen any defender check Curry a couple years ago in the playoffs. Pop did something similar, I think.

Tho Curry is playing at higher level now, his playmaking is so much better, and with the emergence of Green, Thompson, Barnes, and the Warriors ability to play smallball they end up being mismatch hell. There's not many 4s who can recover after showing hard with Draymond Green as the screener. Then if Curry passes to Green with space, you either give him an open look or you know he's going to make a play that probably ends up with an open 3 for one of the wings.

That team is too well built. It's easy to say you focus on Curry and let the other players beat you. But as shown in the playoffs, if you do give Curry that much attention then those other players can beat you. And Curry still probably ends up getting his.

90sgoat
11-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Cavs actually did a pretty good job on Curry. If I coached I'd trap him every time and make Draymond Green make the open shot. Cavs would have won if Lebron had shot better and if he had Love and Irving.

Curry's weakness is still his passing, while he can pass out of doubles he often makes passes that are not completely on point, too high, too low, gives defense time to recover.

nathanjizzle
11-02-2015, 09:42 AM
thats what im saying. when ever gaurding a serious shooter, you stay close and keep a hand in his face at all times.

dabigbaws
11-02-2015, 09:59 AM
What I would do is throw a larger defender on him with some length, you got to chase him through every screen, have your big hedge hard, try to force him to one side, and face-guard him if possible. I wouldn't switch at all. Curry only needs the smallest of space and he'll shoot it. You can't let that little ****er run around and get what he wants like you see in the Pelicans game highlights. If he shoots a somewhat contested 28 footer and makes it then you just gotta tip your cap. Dude is the GOAT shooter. It's really the lesser of the evils tho because once he starts getting the lane and making plays it's over. Also, obviously make him work on defense. Can't have a offensively shit pg or sg (since Klay would probably just switch on the better).

Danny Green did as good a job as I've seen any defender check Curry a couple years ago in the playoffs. Pop did something similar, I think.

Tho Curry is playing at higher level now, his playmaking is so much better, and with the emergence of Green, Thompson, Barnes, and the Warriors ability to play smallball they end up being mismatch hell. There's not many 4s who can recover after showing hard with Draymond Green as the screener. Then if Curry passes to Green with space, you either give him an open look or you know he's going to make a play that probably ends up with an open 3 for one of the wings.

That team is too well built. It's easy to say you focus on Curry and let the other players beat you. But as shown in the playoffs, if you do give Curry that much attention then those other players can beat you. And Curry still probably ends up getting his.

did not read. Just put dellavedova on him

I<3NBA
11-02-2015, 10:05 AM
if you keep your hand up, Curry will just do the Durant "draw a foul move" on you

the best way to guard Curry is to double him and trap him.

he panics easy, and he's too short to pass out of the trap.

imdaman99
11-02-2015, 10:33 AM
It should be your left hand when he is a right handed shooter. You try keeping your left hand up for 30+ mins while running around screens and picks and all the million things the Warriors do to free him :oldlol:

chosen_one6
11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
OP has never played a game of basketball in his life. That doesn't work on a shooter than can dribble penetrate like Curry.

Nuff Said
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
If guarding him single coverage you keep your hands down because with his dribbles he can blow by you easily as well as he can shoot.

Dragonyeuw
11-02-2015, 10:42 AM
And risk getting crossed over and him blowing by you? If it was that simple, everyone would do it. The biggest hurdle to defending Curry is the quickness of his release, combine that with his handle and being able to shoot like that off the dribble, and you pretty much can't do anything about it.

f0und
11-02-2015, 10:52 AM
go outside and run around with your hands straight up. youd be noticeably slower. itd be even worse if you try to make quick cuts and change directions. you might even lose balance and fall down.

lol now im picturing a neighbor peeking out their window and seeing some crazy person awkwardly running around like he's on fire.

Lebronxrings
11-02-2015, 11:29 AM
refs will call a foul.You can't breath on curry lol.

Rake2204
11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
go outside and run around with your hands straight up. youd be noticeably slower. itd be even worse if you try to make quick cuts and change directions.That's the long and short of it. Having a hand sticking straight up at all times (beyond standard defensive position hands) makes every defender significantly more prone to just about any counterattack.

Plus, the idea that a defender is going to worry or scare Curry into thinking he might not be able to get his shot off without getting blocked is virtually non-existent. With one of the quickest and craftiest releases in NBA history, he knows he can just about get a clean look whenever he wants.

FreezingTsmoove
11-02-2015, 11:57 AM
:lol

I dont think OP has played on his middle school team or even basketball in general

raprap
11-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Gotta give it up to steph, he's the toughest player to guard alongside durant imo. Best way to guard him is to trap and deny if possible.

Genaro
11-02-2015, 12:51 PM
I would like to see teams using more on Curry the hard trap Heat used to make in PnR situations. But then you have Green with the ball and he can either score or set someone up for a 3. You just got to expect his teammates miss.
That's what the Cavs did and it worked until a certain level cause they didn't have the offense to go with it, I would like to see someone with a good offense try this against the Warriors .

Tycriss
11-02-2015, 02:48 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1wZTGds8AU2XkqRRHOsFRDBSaUo=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3576186/whi_swipegg.0.gif

MoBe1Kanobi
11-02-2015, 03:45 PM
:lol

I dont think OP has played on his middle school team or even basketball in general

I played ball all the way up until college when I could have sat at the end of the bench for my D1 college my freshman year but I didn't want to because they weren't offering a scholarship just a seat at the end of the bench for me so I said **** thattt

And I play PG and I'm quick crafty with range for days I'm obviously not anything special but I'd usually say I'm the best point guard in the gym every time I show up to 24 hour fitness or some other fukkaround gym

And let me tell u

Defense with one hand straight up INITIALLY makes you slower but play defense on any quick defender for about a week or two and like anything you do repeatedly you'll think to yourself "this is much easier than the other type of defense" as you will gain strength in your lower body and core from being in that position and you'll be seemingly quicker on D since you don't need to be as close to the offensive player when your hand is straight up so the assumed millisecond you lose laterally on D is made up for the fact that you know you have the advantage of already contesting his long ball before he even shoots making him second guess how much curry gets to lean forward on his release as he loves to since he would be susceptible to getting blocked or altered on his shot and if he decides to drive then you are actually playing your best bet since you have curry now playing the 2 pointer game that you CAN compete with since the 3ball is the game he prefers to beat you at

MoBe1Kanobi
11-02-2015, 10:30 PM
thats what im saying. when ever gaurding a serious shooter, you stay close and keep a hand in his face at all times.

Exactly

Nuff Said
11-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Exactly
And like almost every other person in this thread has said, he's not a stand and shoot Kyle korver type of guy. He will pass up the shot and dribble right around you till he gets the slightest space. That hand shit only works with pure shooters. ****** trynna nae nae on curry and shit.

inclinerator
11-02-2015, 10:48 PM
all you have to do is face guard them like delly d, but have enough bodies that are willing to do that, cavs just came up short and overexerted delly

MoBe1Kanobi
07-11-2016, 05:56 AM
hey guys remember kevin love and steven adams defense on curry in this years playoffs?

i think i was right