PDA

View Full Version : How good is Hassan Whiteside?

2swift4u
11-02-2015, 11:47 AM
How good is he? And how good can he get?

I haven't seen a player like him in a while. Dude blocks every shot in his zip code and plays good overall defence. He even blocked James Harden's 3ball on a switch the other night. Plus he's got good hands and can finish around the rim.

StephHamann
11-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Probably a top 5 center in the league, just shows how watered down the overall center talent in the NBA is.

Only guys i would take in an instant over him are Deandre Jordan,Cousins and (healthy) Dwight.

HurricaneKid
11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
He beat up on a dwightless Houston squad. So?

HurricaneKid
11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Probably a top 5 center in the league, just shows how watered down the overall center talent in the NBA is.

Only guys i would take in an instant over him are Deandre Jordan,Cousins and (healthy) Dwight.

Marc Gasol is offended.

Nuff Said
11-02-2015, 12:28 PM
TT or whiteside?

Gileraracer
11-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Right now he looks like one of the best, if not the best Center out there.

But let him play at least one whole season as a starter, at one point we also thought Jeremy Lin is the next big thing :lol

PJR
11-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Really good.

PP34Deuce
11-02-2015, 12:46 PM
He reminds me of what Samuel DAlembert was before injuries.

A walking double double with 3-4 blocks a game.

Xiao Yao You
11-02-2015, 12:52 PM
How good is he? And how good can he get?

I haven't seen a player like him in a while. Dude blocks every shot in his zip code and plays good overall defence. He even blocked James Harden's 3ball on a switch the other night. Plus he's got good hands and can finish around the rim.

Might want to check out the center on the league's number one D, Gobert.

r0drig0lac
11-02-2015, 12:55 PM
all star

Genaro
11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Hassan is one of the guys I like more watching. He is very good. His problems are injuries and his head.
I don't think he will get much better than now but if he can keep at this current level while keeping his head straight and stay off of injuries he should be fine.

Kobe_6/8
11-02-2015, 01:00 PM
He is a top 10 center in today's league...

Edit: How good can he get? I think he has already peaked. He's a 26 year old 3rd round draft pick with 70 career games.

TheNaturalWR
11-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Not as good as people think he is. His postgame is average at best. Wade and Dragic make him look better than he actually is. He gets the flashy blocks but his post defense leaves a lot to be desired.

imnew09
11-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Great length but no D. Weak post game.

But cmon he just started shining since last season. I say give him a couple of seasons and he will become legit af.

Hope he signs with the Lakers after his contract

PP34Deuce
11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Great length but no D. Weak post game.

But cmon he just started shining since last season. I say give him a couple of seasons and he will become legit af.

Hope he signs with the Lakers after his contract

He's a Sam Dalembert pre injury. 26 years old so the development isn't like a KAT or Davis.

He is what he is for the most part and that's a very good starting Center in todays game.

#number6ix#
11-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Whiteside>Davis

GrapeApe
11-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Whiteside will have games like last night where he looks great and others where he looks terrible. He's too inconsistent right now to call him one of the best centers in the league.

He's good and getting better, but he has some deficiencies in his game that don't necessarily show up in the stat sheet. He's NOT a good defender at this point. He blocks shots, but he gets abused in the post, gets lost on PnR's, is late on rotations, and out of position far too much. He lets up as many scores at the rim as shots he blocks. He has good hands and has shown some offensive ability, but the majority of his points are from lob dunks and put-backs. He's awkward with he ball and is a turnover waiting to happen when he posts-up. He's also a comically bad passer. He has 9 career assists in 70 games.

All of that being said, he has the potential to be an all-star. He has 4 god-given abilities that you cannot teach: He's huge, he's athletic, he has good hands, and he has good shot-blocking instincts. It also doesn't hurt that he plays with one of the best passing back courts in the league. He'll get spoon fed 8-10 ppg from Wade alone. I mentioned this in another thread but Jawan Howard deserves A LOT of credit for Whiteside's development. He is an outstanding big-man coach and mentor and will probably be a head coach in the league somewhere down the road.

Mass Debator
11-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Erratic offensive and defensive post game. Questionable mental game.

Right now, all he's good for his rebounding, protecting the rim from wing players, and catching alley oop passes. Potential-wise? Not much better. Just more consistent. 16/14/3 guy if he's featured in an offense. Not up to prime Dwight's level on either side of the floor.

IncarceratedBob
11-02-2015, 03:22 PM
he's one of the dumbest people in the world, not just the NBA. he's has great intsincts for basketball and is gifted athleteically but his mentel issues will make him very hit or miss. he will has good games and he will has bad games. very incontisent

Optimus Prime
11-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Hassan Wiltside

Erratic offensive and defensive post game. Questionable mental game.

Right now, all he's good for his rebounding, protecting the rim from wing players, and catching alley oop passes. Potential-wise? Not much better. Just more consistent. 16/14/3 guy if he's featured in an offense. Not up to prime Dwight's level on either side of the floor.

You just trashed him while comparing him to prime Dwight and saying he will probably put up 16/14/3.

:wtf:

Mass Debator
11-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Hassan Wiltside

You just trashed him while comparing him to prime Dwight and saying he will probably put up 16/14/3.

:wtf:
Didn't trash him at all. Saying he'll be a very good player, but not quite Magic Dwight good.

WadeStan
11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
He's promising. A guy with that kind of athletic ability always will be. But his defensive awareness sliders should be at about 30 in NBA2k right now. In contrast to another promising Heat player like Winslow, who has uncanny instincts, Whiteside has poor instincts in defense, is frequently out of position, and struggles against other bigs with more experience and those whom he can't simply outmuscle (his scuffle with a bruiser like Len last year was rooted in this IMO). And while Whiteside rarely fouls when he goes for a block, he often racks up fouls nonetheless by virtue of being out of position. Offensively he does have a couple of good moves, though they sometimes look awkward. I think Whiteside will put it together on offense more quickly, especially with Wade guiding him through the pick and roll and making sure he's in the right spots. On defense, someone like Zo needs to help and fast.

Optimus Prime
11-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Didn't trash him at all. Saying he'll be a very good player, but not quite Magic Dwight good.

You used words like "erratic" and "questionable" then said he won't measure up to prime Dwight like that's such a huge disappointment. Few bigs will even dream to get near the level of prime Dwight. Come on man.

:kobe:

Mass Debator
11-02-2015, 04:08 PM
You used words like "erratic" and "questionable" then said he won't measure up to prime Dwight like that's such a huge disappointment. Few bigs will even dream to get near the level of prime Dwight. Come on man.

:kobe:
And I think those words are on point with him at the moment. If you think that's trashing him them maybe you haven't seen him play enough. He's somewhat young and only started a handful of games so it's forgivable...at the moment.

I measured him against Dwight because a lot of people think Hassan will be some kind of beast with the hype surrounding him plus they play pretty similar. So I'm saying hold your horses...he will never be Dwight good. It's not a knock on him, but a knock on the hype. It's only a disappointment if you're one of those who think he's going to be a 1st or 2nd option player. I clearly do not think he's one of those. He's great for the role that the Heat asks of him. That's why I said he will get better, but not much better. Only more consistent to be exact.

GrapeApe
11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I think most of the things being mentioned in this thread are accurate. It's good to see that people are recognizing and acknowledging his flaws. He's got a long way to go before being labeled as a premier center. His rim protection is somewhat offset by defensive mistakes, but he does consistently rebound, and that's where his greatest impact will be throughout the season.

Papaya Petee
11-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Well for starters, he's not intelligent, at all. Derrick Rose level dumb if not worse. He's tall, lengthy and athletic. Needs to improve his upper body strength, and defensive awareness. He always seems lost and inconsistent in defending the pick and roll. On offense he has a decent post game, but he's the most unwilling passer I have ever seen. He gets spoonfed points by Wade.

Has good hands and can finish with authority. Good touch around the rim. Okay free throw shooter.

TheNaturalWR
11-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Well for starters, he's not intelligent, at all. Derrick Rose level dumb if not worse. He's tall, lengthy and athletic. Needs to improve his upper body strength, and defensive awareness. He always seems lost and inconsistent in defending the pick and roll. On offense he has a decent post game, but he's the most unwilling passer I have ever seen. He gets spoonfed points by Wade.

Has good hands and can finish with authority. Good touch around the rim. Okay free throw shooter.

Basically. Half his points this season will most likely be spoonfed by Wade. A CP3/DeAndre situation in Miami.

DoctorP
11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
He's very raw now but still putting up great numbers. In 2 years he should be consistent. Better than a DeAndre Jordan if he can find the consistency.

Papaya Petee
11-02-2015, 04:50 PM
He's very raw now but still putting up great numbers. In 2 years he should be consistent. Better than a DeAndre Jordan if he can find the consistency.
So Gerald Green should still be starting over Wade ey?

DoctorP
11-02-2015, 04:51 PM
So Gerald Green should still be starting over Wade ey?

I still think either Dragic or Wade would be better suited at 6th man on this roster (Manu role) but let's see how it's going at mid-season.

BasedTom
11-02-2015, 05:17 PM

Good thing that Hassan's position demands significantly less intelligence.

PJR
11-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Still can't believe the Heat found the most dominant shot blocker in decades just chillin in the d-league

:applause:

smoovegittar
11-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Eh..not impressed. -but - I am impressed with the way the Heat use him. He's solid. Overall, I am very impressed with Miami's defense. If they stay healthy, Cleveland's got a problem.

Nash
11-28-2015, 03:45 PM
imagine if the heat had him during the lebron era

FKAri
11-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Right now he looks like one of the best, if not the best Center out there.

But let him play at least one whole season as a starter, at one point we also thought Jeremy Lin is the next big thing :lol

No one thought jeremy lin was the next big thing you moron

GrapeApe
11-28-2015, 04:30 PM
imagine if the heat had him during the lebron era

What's crazy is if Lebron had stayed in Miami, nobody would know who Hassan Whiteside is right now. It's amazing how one seemingly unrelated occurrence can open the door for a player to potentially have a great NBA career and earn millions of dollars. It makes you wonder if there have been other Hassan Whiteside's out there who never got the opportunity.

Hypothetically though, yeah, it would be pretty insane if Whiteside (playing at his current level) was on those big-3 Heat teams. They'd be historically good defensively. Bosh would actually be the biggest benefactor because he could slide back over to his natural position. Whiteside might break the fg% record. The PnR with Wade is deadly as is, but if Lebron was also on the floor? Damn. Literally every shot Whiteside took would be a lob dunk an uncontested layup.

JebronLames
11-28-2015, 04:58 PM
By far the best player on the Heat

oarabbus
11-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Lmao

Davis, Drummond, Horford are better too

GrapeApe
11-28-2015, 06:03 PM
By far the best player on the Heat

In terms of impact perhaps an argument can be made, but he's still too limited offensively at this point. He's getting 14 ppg but most of that is spoon fed from Wade. I'll put it like this, the Heat are much more likely to win with Whiteside struggling but Wade or Bosh playing well than the other way around. Since Whiteside's arrival the Heat have lost several games in which he had big numbers. When one of Wade or Bosh has a great game the Heat usually win.

That being said, if the Heat keep playing well and continue being the 2nd best team in the east, all three will likely be all-stars. Whiteside has been the anchor of one of the top defenses in the league. Being a good defender is obviously more than just shot blocking, but there's no denying the impact of Whiteside's rim protection.

GrapeApe
11-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Lmao

Davis, Drummond, Horford are better too

How exactly has Horford been better?

Whiteside: 14/11/5 on 60% and a 26.5 PER
Horford: 16/7/2 on 49% and a 21.2 PER.

Whiteside is leading the league in blocks, 4th in rebounding, 2nd in fg%, and 8th in PER. He and Drummond have easily been the top 2 centers in the east.

oarabbus
11-28-2015, 06:49 PM
How exactly has Horford been better?

Whiteside: 14/11/5 on 60% and a 26.5 PER
Horford: 16/7/2 on 49% and a 21.2 PER.

Whiteside is leading the league in blocks, 4th in rebounding, 2nd in fg%, and 8th in PER. He and Drummond have easily been the top 2 centers in the east.

If you want to ignore Horford's 3ast/game (significant for a center), 85% ft shooting (also significant for a center), and shooting 36% on a good number of 3s per game, sure, I suppose Whiteside looks considerably better.

GrapeApe
11-28-2015, 07:38 PM
If you want to ignore Horford's 3ast/game (significant for a center), 85% ft shooting (also significant for a center), and shooting 36% on a good number of 3s per game, sure, I suppose Whiteside looks considerably better.

Horford is a much better passer for sure, but even when using TS% which factors in 3's and ft's, Whiteside is more efficient.

Whiteside: 60%TS
Horford: 56%TS.

Whiteside's 5+ point advantage in PER is pretty significant too and he's doing it in fewer minutes. It's still early and I'm not making any definitive claims for the rest of the season, but as of right now there's little debate that Whiteside has been better than Horford.