PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry right now is better than Kobe ever was

JohnMax
11-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Curry might be the most dominant offensive player since....Shaq (another player better than Kobe at his peak). Curry bends the defense with the three just like Shaq bent the defense by making it collapse inside.

RoseCity07
11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
This is true.

JT123
11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
water is wet

catch24
11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Sure... if he continues to play like this.

Last year Curry wasn't better than Kobe "ever was" though.

juju151111
11-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Sure... if he continues to play like this.

Last year Curry wasn't better than Kobe "ever was" though.
Agreed, but it can be debated. Which Kobe season is better then 15 Curry?

GoatBoy
11-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Crazy how much this version of Kobe is clouding over what he did in his prime.
I just wish he would retire so we could remember his greatness opposed to watch him struggle like this

DonDadda59
11-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Life-long Bean hater here, and proud member of the Light-Skinned Coalition of America (LSCA)... but no.

Just no.

Better shooter no doubt.

But no.

avonbarksdale
11-02-2015, 04:45 PM
if forums and social media were this prominent when kobe was doing his thing like 2003 scoring 40+ 9 straight times, or in 2007 when he scored 50+ 4 times in a row i feel like he would be hailed as the GOAT

curry averages 39 over 3 games and everyone goes nuts

Papaya Petee
11-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Curry is averaging 39 through 3 games...

Kobe has months averaging 40+

Currys career high is 54
Kobe has scored that in a half before.....

SexSymbol
11-02-2015, 04:53 PM
01, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

SexSymbol
11-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Currys career high is 54
/thread

juju151111
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
No for 09 and 10. The rest is a debate

Mr. Jabbar
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM

Dude.

JT123
11-02-2015, 04:57 PM
:facepalm

catch24
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM

IMO 2001, 2003, and 2006-2010 could all be argued and debated.

I would take 2006 and 2007 Kobe over 15 Curry without thinking twice though.

tmacattack33
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
if forums and social media were this prominent when kobe was doing his thing like 2003 scoring 40+ 9 straight times, or in 2007 when he scored 50+ 4 times in a row i feel like he would be hailed as the GOAT

curry averages 39 over 3 games and everyone goes nuts

Wrong...because forums actually are less about the great headlines than Sportscenter and other sports TV shows and actually have more substance.

Sportscenter and back then would just talk about his 81 point game and his high scoring games...they would make no mention of his lousy field goal percentage and efficiency.

Therefore I conclude that if forums were more prominent back then, he would actually have been viewed as a lesser player.

A great example of this is the true clutch stats that were being spread around around 2010 (the rise of the advanced statistics web sites like bballreference.com and 82games)...they showed that Kobe wasn't actually as clutch as Marc Jackson and Mike Breene made it seem like on TV.

IllegalD
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Call me when Curry wins a Finals MVP and is an elite force on BOTH ends of the floor. (ya'll are forgetting a little thing called defense)

tmacattack33
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Currys career high is 54

Kobe also has months where his average field goal attempts per game were 30 or close to it.

He also has months of 20 ppg on 35% FG and stuff like that.

Papaya Petee
11-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Kobe also has months where his average field goal attempts per game were 30 or close to it.

He also has months of 20 ppg on 35% FG and stuff like that.

If a star player is given the green light to do that, great scoring months are bound to happen.

I just don't think engaging this is a smart use of my time.

Kobe has something like 4 30 PPG seasons and like 10 25 PPG seasons. Currys highest has been 24 PPG so far.

That's all.

SexSymbol
11-02-2015, 05:03 PM
No for 09 and 10. The rest is a debate

But these aren't really debatable. He was finals mvp and beat against competition that was superior to what the Warriors got.
He also performed better than Curry 15 in both of 09 and 10 playoffs and most people were claiming him to be the undisputed best player in the world

IllegalD
11-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Did Kobe ever get shut down by a Dellavadova type scrub in his prime?

KungFuJoe
11-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I hate current Kobe as much as anyone but NO...just NO.

Prime Kobe was an absolute beast on O and hell on D.

He gave the Spurs nightmares back during the Lakers championship runs with Shaq.

DoctorP
11-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Wake me up when he has 5 titles and rung up 81 points in a game.

Dragonyeuw
11-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Holy fcuk at the overreactions. 3 games in,and Curry's the greatest human being to walk the earth.

GrapeApe
11-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Even though some of Kobe's all-defense selections were unwarranted, the fact remains that he was an outstanding 2-way player in his prime. He was scoring at historic levels while often guarding the opposition's top perimeter player. Curry has the luxury of not having that kind of defensive responsibility. He can focus primarily on his offense, and any player will tell you that it's much harder to be effective offensively when you are asked to be a lock-down defender. That's what makes the offensive production from guards like Jordan, Kobe, and Wade so impressive. They could carry their teams on both ends.

Orlando Magic
11-03-2015, 07:27 AM
True that, *****!

CarlosBoozer
11-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Huge huge huuugee Curryfan here

he is not better than bean

Gileraracer
11-03-2015, 08:37 AM
come back to me when curry averages 35 PPG for a season.

bobopenguin
11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
ish is full of dumb ppl that has low memory storage capacity brain.

there are reasons why kobe is closest player to MJ and locked in top 10 GOAT list. and curry is neither. yet.

curry is a better shooter, but kobe was a complete scoring weapon at his peak.
, he's probably only guy that scores at will even when tripled.

Spurs5Rings2014
11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Can't take a lot of the Kobe comparisons seriously, and not because it's so ridiculous that Curry isn't in the same realm as Kobe, but because it's comparing apples to oranges.

'01 and '03 for instance aren't comparable because Kobe literally had prime Shaq on his team. That'd be like Curry having another Curry on his team, except much more efficient, dominant, etc. Takes far too much of the pressure off even if he's still commanding some double teams here and there himself.

'06 and '07 aren't comparable because those were horrible teams and Kobe pretty much got to shoot as much as he wanted. We haven't seen Curry get a 100% green light with no other offensive options in his prime where he just got to go for records night in and night out. I'm guessing if he did, he could do some pretty amazing things.

That only leaves '08 through '10, which aren't nearly as impressive as some of the other years in terms of high scoring games.

Curry's also far more efficient than Kobe.

So Curry is the alpha of his team, doesn't have anyone else to command doubles or triples, take the pressure off, etc.

Also, is playing on an all-time great team with plenty of fire power and is STILL putting up Kobe-esque shitty team green light numbers on worlds better efficiency.

I think that in of itself is enough to debate whether this version of Curry is better than any version of Kobe.

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Op, nah :no:

Dragonyeuw
11-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Kobe at his peak was a far superior two-way player, so no. But in terms of scoring, his 'zone' ability to go super saiyon from deep makes him the most likely person( asides from maybe Durant) to at least challenge Kobe's mark of 81 if the situation called for it( crap teammates, greenlight to shoot at will). The thing is, as long as he has the quality of teammates he has there's not going to be any need for him to jack up the number of shots needed. But, along with Durant, I do think he's the most dangerous scorer since peak Kobe.

theaussieguy
11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Can't take a lot of the Kobe comparisons seriously, and not because it's so ridiculous that Curry isn't in the same realm as Kobe, but because it's comparing apples to oranges.

'01 and '03 for instance aren't comparable because Kobe literally had prime Shaq on his team. That'd be like Curry having another Curry on his team, except much more efficient, dominant, etc. Takes far too much of the pressure off even if he's still commanding some double teams here and there himself.

'06 and '07 aren't comparable because those were horrible teams and Kobe pretty much got to shoot as much as he wanted. We haven't seen Curry get a 100% green light with no other offensive options in his prime where he just got to go for records night in and night out. I'm guessing if he did, he could do some pretty amazing things.

That only leaves '08 through '10, which aren't nearly as impressive as some of the other years in terms of high scoring games.

So Curry is the alpha of his team, doesn't have anyone else to command doubles or triples, take the pressure off, etc.

Also, is playing on an all-time great team with plenty of fire power and is STILL putting up Kobe-esque shitty team green light numbers on worlds better efficiency.

I think that in of itself is enough to debate whether this version of Curry is better than any version of Kobe.

this, i love Kobe, and his willpower is amazing, but its just hard to look past the fact hes just a bit of a chucker.

HOoopCityJones
11-03-2015, 11:40 AM

:biggums: Call me when he at least Wins a Finals Mvp.

34-24 Footwork
11-03-2015, 11:41 AM
this, i love Kobe, and his willpower is amazing, but its just hard to look past the fact hes just a bit of a chucker.

Lol @ having to narrow down Kobe's entire career down to 2 years to make it debatable.

Replace kobe with Curry in 2000-2002, they don't get past the Spurs or Kings....as great as Curry is.

34-24 Footwork
11-03-2015, 11:43 AM

This guy narrowed Kobe's career down to 2 seasons and practically said that kobe being that good in 2000-2003 is pretty much unfair. Lol.

People that hate kobe are delusional as fvck.

West-Side
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
This is exactly why I rarely step foot inside the basketball forum.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-03-2015, 11:48 AM
OP, stick to TMZ threads.

J Shuttlesworth
11-03-2015, 11:59 AM
:biggums: When Kobe was Curry's age, he didn't have an FMVP either

HurricaneKid
11-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Even though some of Kobe's all-defense selections were unwarranted, the fact remains that he was an outstanding 2-way player in his prime. He was scoring at historic levels while often guarding the opposition's top perimeter player. Curry has the luxury of not having that kind of defensive responsibility. He can focus primarily on his offense, and any player will tell you that it's much harder to be effective offensively when you are asked to be a lock-down defender. That's what makes the offensive production from guards like Jordan, Kobe, and Wade so impressive. They could carry their teams on both ends.

No. He. Wasn't.

Over the course of his first 17 years (I'm doing you the solid of omitting the past two seasons), he was a well below average defensive player.

https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/97-14-rapm

And with 105,000+ possessions its not like we don't have a massive data set with relative certainty.

Doranku
11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
No. He. Wasn't.

Over the course of his first 17 years (I'm doing you the solid of omitting the past two seasons), he was a well below average defensive player.

And with 105,000+ possessions its not like we don't have a massive data set with relative certainty.

Hey man, could you tell me exactly what RAPM is and how it's calculated?

Bankaii
11-03-2015, 01:07 PM
I probably dislike post-2003 Kobe more than Curry but no, Kobe has a few seasons better than Curry's best.

But for the Kobetards mentioning Kobe's 35ppg season or 40 PPG months, what was his effeciency for some of these? Curry is putting up great numbers on good effeciency.

And how well did Kobe's high scoring translate into winning? Most of it came in 2006 where he got rekt in the first round.
If Curry keeps putting up these numbers and the Warriors dominate the playoffs as expected, an argument could definitely be made.

But it's only been 3 freaking games tho.

SHAQisGOAT
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Love to watch Curry... but I don't really think so, at least as of right now...

HOoopCityJones
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
:biggums: When Kobe was Curry's age, he didn't have an FMVP either

At least Kobe was able to win his as the man, it took prime Shaq to stop Kobe from being considered. Curry is being outplayed by his role players.

This is bullshit though , I like that kid's game and he might currently be the best player in this league.

But some of you are alittle young or delusional in your hate for Kobe.

01 Kobe was better at every facet of the game than Steph Curry is right now, offensively and defensively. He's carved up front courts with David Robinson and arguably prime Duncan. The year previous he single handedly destroyed the Blazers in game 7 of the 2000 playoffs.

This was all as a sidekick. You guys think that's some diss or determent but consider that for a second. Kobe carrying corpses in 06 and 07 is a whole other thing entirely.

The fact of the matter is I know why people try to condense Kobe's career into four or five years of hot-hand volume scoring, because when you evaluate his career and achievements in it's totality, it's an overwhelming resume and it's hard to deny that it's Top 10 if not 8 or 7 ALL Time.

Only people definitely greater than Kobe all time are Jordan, Wilt , Kareem, Shaq and Magic. Everyone else there's a debate.

Doranku
11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
At least Kobe was able to win his as the man, it took prime Shaq to stop Kobe from being considered. Curry is being outplayed by his role players.

I think this is a bit disingenuous. Curry won as the man too, he was just robbed of the finals MVP.

Curry was getting doubled at the top of the key a LOT in the finals. He shouldn't be faulted for making the right play and setting up Iggy for wide open shot after wide open shot.

Not to mention dude went off in the pivotal game 5 in a 2-2 series, and had a solid 25/8/6 game to close out the series.

f0und
11-03-2015, 01:42 PM
im not sure about OP's statement, but one thing i know for certain, i would rather have curry on my team than any version of kobe.

PJR
11-03-2015, 01:48 PM
im not sure about OP's statement, but one thing i know for certain, i would rather have curry on my team than any version of kobe.

Ditto. Curry can fit on any team, playing any style. And you don't get any of the "I eat first" garbage that you get from Kobe.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-03-2015, 01:51 PM

I'd learn more towards this.

Not sure Curry is better than Kobe ever was, but as a teammate, he would probably fit in better with Kobe's teams.

RidonKs
11-03-2015, 01:53 PM
yep

kobe has the best work ethic in the league
steph doesn't even have to try

J Shuttlesworth
11-03-2015, 02:50 PM

This is bullshit though , I like that kid's game and he might currently be the best player in this league.

01 Kobe was better at every facet of the game than Steph Curry is right now, offensively and defensively. He's carved up front courts with David Robinson and arguably prime Duncan. The year previous he single handedly destroyed the Blazers in game 7 of the 2000 playoffs.

This was all as a sidekick. You guys think that's some diss or determent but consider that for a second. Kobe carrying corpses in 06 and 07 is a whole other thing entirely.

The fact of the matter is I know why people try to condense Kobe's career into four or five years of hot-hand volume scoring, because when you evaluate his career and achievements in it's totality, it's an overwhelming resume and it's hard to deny that it's Top 10 if not 8 or 7 ALL Time.

Only people definitely greater than Kobe all time are Jordan, Wilt , Kareem, Shaq and Magic. Everyone else there's a debate.
I don't agree that Curry > Kobe, but using FMVP as an argument is irrelevant at this point. Kobe hadn't won as "the man" when he was 27, so there's no point in bringing up the fact that Curry hasn't won FMVP.

JT123
11-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Replace kobe with Curry in 2000-2002, they don't get past the Spurs or Kings....as great as Curry is.
:biggums: :facepalm

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 03:05 PM
really?

Holla when Chef has 2 Months averaging 40+ PPG For historical perspective, Only 2 other players even have 1, and that's Wilt & Baylor 40 years before. And Only Kobe & Wilt have more than one 40+ PPG months(Kobe has 5 overall).

Holla when Chef can drop 81, 62 in 3, six 50+ games, and 21 40+ games

Holla when Chef can be All-Defense 1st team to go along with the scoring,

Holla when Chef can drop 45+ in four consecutive games, Chamberlain and Baylor were the only others to do so.

Holla when Chef can average 44 PPG for a month

all in 1 season!

next

GrapeApe
11-03-2015, 03:09 PM
No. He. Wasn't.

Why are you talking about career? I'm talking about his prime, specifically his early prime. Young Kobe was a beast defensively. He was a great man defender, great at cutting off passing lanes, and he could guard 1-3. He was a legit 2-way force. He earned several "reputation" all-defense selections, and you can't earn a reputation unless you were at one point a great defender.

The other point I was making relates to defensive responsibility. Putting up great offensive numbers with a heavy defensive burden is more impressive than putting up great offensive numbers with little defensive responsibility. Curry only has to focus on one side of the floor, and that gives him a distinct advantage over 2-way players.

tmacattack33
11-03-2015, 03:31 PM

Wtf...Steph Curry was definitely the man last year. Igoudala getting Finals MVP doesn't change that. Just like how Pau outplaying Kobe in the 2010 Finals doesn't mean that Pau was the man in 2010.

tmacattack33
11-03-2015, 03:33 PM
really?

Holla when Chef has 2 Months averaging 40+ PPG For historical perspective, Only 2 other players even have 1, and that's Wilt & Baylor 40 years before. And Only Kobe & Wilt have more than one 40+ PPG months(Kobe has 5 overall).

Holla when Chef can drop 45+ in four consecutive games, Chamberlain and Baylor were the only others to do so.

all in 1 season!

next

As stated, all of these 40 point months when Kobe was chucking up 30 shots all year aren't that impressive. Allow Steph (or Durant or any other prime time scorer) to do that and they'll likely have 40 point months as well.

Holla when Kobe has a year where he scores 25 ppg on 50% FG +.

Dragonyeuw
11-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Honestly, with Curry's release, I'd be shitting bricks as a defender. Because you have to honor his driving capabilities, but he only needs a split second to get a shot off. That's the scary part, he can create from any situation so fast that most can't react to it fast enough.

RidonKs
11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
really?

all in 1 season!

next
what u say is irrelevant. steph curry will never play on a bad team

he is not kobe. he's tim duncan.

Dragonyeuw
11-03-2015, 03:52 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

GrapeApe
11-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Wtf...Steph Curry was definitely the man last year. Igoudala getting Finals MVP doesn't change that. Just like how Pau outplaying Kobe in the 2010 Finals doesn't mean that Pau was the man in 2010.

Perhaps you disagree with it, but Kobe did win FMVP in 2010 so your comparison is a bit inaccurate (I understand your point though). Curry was obviously his team's best player last year, but it's interesting that the player who won FMVP earned the award largely because of his defense. As great as Curry is, he is limited defensively and has never had the burden of being asked to carry a team on both ends. I'm not saying Kobe was prime Pippen in his championship years, but nevertheless he had to be good on both ends of the floor.

f0und
11-03-2015, 04:16 PM
really?

all in 1 season!

next

holla when steph has the green light to chuck 40+ shots on any given night on low pct shooting for years on end, even when its to the detriment of the team.

kobe has had literally hundreds of opportunities to go on big scoring binges. he's gonna get hot every once in a while. its a game of numbers, luck, not something he can call on at will. if he could, then he wouldnt have nearly zero legendary playoff and finals performances.

tmacattack33
11-03-2015, 04:21 PM
holla when steph has the green light to chuck 40+ shots on any given night on low pct shooting for years on end, even when its to the detriment of the team.

kobe has had literally hundreds of opportunities to go on big scoring binges. he's gonna get hot every once in a while. its a game of numbers, luck, not something he can call on at will. if he could, then he wouldnt have nearly zero legendary playoff and finals performances.

This guy gets it.

And honestly it seems like some kobe fans don't get that. It's basic math and common sense.

I'd actually like to see some kobe fans take a math test based on probablity and outcomes. Or give them $1,000 to gamble with on sports games.

They would fail the math test and blow that $1,000 on sports games after chasing what they think are high value picks based on small sample sizes and making picks based off of getting caught up in the moment of a team's hot streak or whatever.

Rocketswin2013
11-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Why do people still look a basketball in such a primitive way?

By the way, there a long studies that control for pretty much every variable possible and isolate player impact. Kobe's defense is fcking overrated.

This guy has never tilted the needle on any team he's been on defensively.

When Shaq quit on D LA went to shit on that end, Kobe never anchored anything and has only been passable or even a neutral impact defender.

He gets credit for 2000 but that Lakers team would've won 20 games without Shaq that year. It would've been a LeBron Cavs-like collapse.

Elite two-way player. Jesus.

IllegalD
11-03-2015, 04:35 PM

Spoken like a true 15 year old f*g who never watched Kobe.

Tell me something, how many "legendary playoff/finals" performances does Mr. Curry have? Getting shut down by Dellavadova? :roll:

IllegalD
11-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Why do people still look a basketball in such a primitive way?

By the way, there a long studies that control for pretty much every variable possible and isolate player impact. Kobe's defense is fcking overrated.

This guy has never tilted the needle on any team he's been on defensively.

When Shaq quit on D LA went to shit on that end, Kobe never anchored anything and has only been passable or even a neutral impact defender.

He gets credit for 2000 but that Lakers team would've won 20 games without Shaq that year. It would've been a LeBron Cavs-like collapse.

Elite two-way player. Jesus.

If Kobe is a passable to neutral impact defender then what the f*ck does that make Curry? :facepalm :roll:

What a joke your basketball opinion is.

Shih508
11-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Kobe has always been an average super star when it comes to playoff.

All of Kobe's legendary moments were done against weak teams during regular season when no one cared. 81 points? 5 straight games 50+ points?

He just can't put up goat lvl consistently against elite teams more often than not. maybe one out of 10 playeroff series he put up a good one, but that's not good enough to be even considered top 15 GOAT.

Rocketswin2013
11-03-2015, 05:00 PM
If Kobe is a passable to neutral impact defender then what the f*ck does that make Curry? :facepalm :roll:

What a joke your basketball opinion is.
The exact same. Kobe's best defensive years never even coincided with his best offensive. Maybe 2007, and that's no player that is blowing out Curry's impact as a player. Not even close. You add 2007 Kobe to this current Warriors teams with a highly variable Thompson and a bunch of guy's who are getting handed wide-open shots by Curry's mere existence as floor spacer and what do you get, the GOAT offense? 72 wins? 75 ?

Curry could possibly do more with less than anything Kobe has ever had. I don't want to say anything definitively because it's Week 2, but people acting as if they're in different tiers :facepalm

Thompson, Green, and Bogut when he plays. That's not anything groundbreaking.

Thompson and Bogut were worse than anyone thinks in the post season. And I'm getting the feeling Bogut is overrated period. They didn't miss much of a beat without him defensively in the Finals and they haven't recently.

Fcking peak Shaq, Horry and Fisher. Peak Shaq is worth like, an all-star and half. Maybe two.

Odom, Gasol, and Bynum when he played.

Igoudola is probably better than Ariza and Artest by a bit.

But it's around the same and possibly better. I'd give the Lakers an edge because Gasol dominated games, and series at times over a two year stretch. I'm not sure anyone is capable of anything like that on the Warriors. The rest of the roster is filled with generic journey men good for one good game out of their 5 or 6 at a time anyway.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
As stated, all of these 40 point months when Kobe was chucking up 30 shots all year aren't that impressive. Allow Steph (or Durant or any other prime time scorer) to do that and they'll likely have 40 point months as well.

First off Curry aint ever score 25PPG.....let alone at 50%

2nd, If any prime time scorers can do it....why didn't they?

Durant has had the green light to shoot when ever he wants since his rookie year!

Tmac had the green light to shoot when ever he wants countless times...

Curry has the green light to shoot when ever he wants...

even the years Kobe won Titles he put up better offensive numbers then Curry...( Durant hasn't won sh!t...and TmAC never got past the first round...)

If Kobe wanted to score 25PPG and shoot 50% ....he could easily.
take 20 shots ( Kobes Career fga is 19.6) and make 10 = 50%.....take 20 and make 9 = 45%

difference between 50 - 45% is 1 shot...lol

the whole FG% arguement is dumb.....

2EZ..

Monta Ellis MVP
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
The exact same. Kobe's best defensive years never even coincided with his best offensive. Maybe 2007, and that's no player that is blowing out Curry's impact as a player. Not even close. You add 2007 Kobe to this current Warriors teams with a highly variable Thompson and a bunch of guy's who are getting handed wide-open shots by Curry's mere existence as floor spacer and what do you get, the GOAT offense? 72 wins? 75 ?

Curry could possibly do more with less than anything Kobe has ever had. I don't want to say anything definitively because it's Week 2, but people acting as if they're in different tiers :facepalm

Thompson, Green, and Bogut when he plays. That's not anything groundbreaking.

Thompson and Bogut were worse than anyone thinks in the post season. And I'm getting the feeling Bogut is overrated period. They didn't miss much of a beat without him defensively in the Finals and they haven't recently.

Fcking peak Shaq, Horry and Fisher. Peak Shaq is worth like, an all-star and half. Maybe two.

Odom, Gasol, and Bynum when he played.

Igoudola is probably better than Ariza and Artest by a bit.

But it's around the same and possibly better. I'd give the Lakers an edge because Gasol dominated games, and series at times over a two year stretch. I'm not sure anyone is capable of anything like that on the Warriors. The rest of the roster is filled with generic journey men good for one good game out of their 5 or 6 at a time anyway.

Quality post.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 05:12 PM

Just because you don't know anything about basketball.....doesn't mean Kobe has no legendary moments....jeez.

(reading the back of my Kobe show box)
Takeover game
Game 4 vs the spurs
PHX 2 clutch shots
the hanging floater vs Orlando
and countless others.

Name Birds shoe box moments!!!
Tim Duncans!
Bill Russells!
Wilt's!
Oscars!

because you cant remember .....does that mean they dont have any?

GTFO kid

next

HurricaneKid
11-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Why are you talking about career? I'm talking about his prime, specifically his early prime. Young Kobe was a beast defensively. He was a great man defender, great at cutting off passing lanes, and he could guard 1-3. He was a legit 2-way force. He earned several "reputation" all-defense selections, and you can't earn a reputation unless you were at one point a great defender.

The other point I was making relates to defensive responsibility. Putting up great offensive numbers with a heavy defensive burden is more impressive than putting up great offensive numbers with little defensive responsibility. Curry only has to focus on one side of the floor, and that gives him a distinct advantage over 2-way players.

What stretch was his best defensive period? I'll be happy to get you the data. I'll give you a hint: Its not that good.

He was a better than adequate defender for a while but by 2004 he was a below average defender.

So lets get rid of the comical notion that Kobe has this massive defensive edge.

Kobe's career best TS% is .580. He has two seasons above .561. The aforementioned .580 and a season at .570. If you throw out Curry's rookie season his WORST TS% is .589. So Curry at his LEAST efficient is more efficient than Kobe at his MOST efficient. Steph was at .638 last year and is currently at a staggering .768

The most impactful thing Steph does is he pulls two defenders to 25 feet from the hoop, opening up the whole floor for the rest of his team.

riseagainst
11-03-2015, 05:42 PM
force Curry to shoot 30 times a game and he'd average 50 points. Curry is just flat out a better player than Kobe ever was.

24-Inch_Chrome
11-03-2015, 05:57 PM
First off Curry aint ever score 25PPG.....let alone at 50%

2nd, If any prime time scorers can do it....why didn't they?

Durant has had the green light to shoot when ever he wants since his rookie year!

You do realize that Durant put up 30+ PPG on 50% in 2014, right? He also put up 28 PPG on 50/40/90...

Monta Ellis MVP
11-03-2015, 05:59 PM
You do realize that Durant put up 30+ PPG on 50% in 2014, right? He also put up 28 PPG on 50/40/90...

His best teammate was Russell GOATbrook

Curry's best teammate was Klay Thompson.

Who's team had the better offense?

Who's team won the championship?

BarberSchool
11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Life-long Bean hater here, and proud member of the Light-Skinned Coalition of America (LSCA)... but no.

Just no.

Better shooter no doubt.

But no.This. :applause:

24-Inch_Chrome
11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
His best teammate was Russell GOATbrook

Curry's best teammate was Klay Thompson.

Who's team had the better offense?

Who's team won the championship?

Westbrook missed half of the season in 2014. Westbrook > Thompson but GS's roster is deeper.

Also, I wasn't replying to a post praising Curry, just correcting an error.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 06:24 PM
on the real....

Curry is just as aesthetically pleasing as Kobe and MJ.

Just beautiful to watch ...the skill....the passion.

Dude is in his prime and lighting it up.

GIF REACTION
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
on the real....

And Lebron

The ferocious power, yet elegant in stride

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 06:31 PM
And Lebron

The ferocious power, yet elegant in stride

Power indeed....and his jumpshot has come along way!

but his go to move is still burying his head down and drive into the lane :confusedshrug:

which is great because he is 6'9" 260lbs of power and speed.....but if he was 6 '2" instead of 6' 9" he would be working Parks and Rec for the city of Akron...

sometimes his skill and aesthetics look down right fugly......just awful footwork.

Deuce Bigalow
11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
If someone were to average 37-5-6 (2 t/o) on 60/49/96 in only 32 min per game while having a perfect record, then he'd be better than anyone ever.

knicksman
11-03-2015, 07:01 PM
one thing is for sure tho. theyre both better than bran

Straight_Ballin
11-03-2015, 07:24 PM

Currys career high is 54

Gen Z kids are just getting a little to excited about Curry. Kobe easily the better peak player.

Straight_Ballin
11-03-2015, 07:25 PM
on the real....

This is true. Glad someone stepped up because bron's game is about as aesthetically pleasing as dog shit.

greymatter
11-03-2015, 09:15 PM
No. He. Wasn't.

According to the list:
-Gary Payton was a below average defender
-Dirk is as impactful a defender as Lebron
-Manu is an elite defender
-Manu is the greatest SG of his generation >> Kobe, Dwade, Ray Allen, VC,
- Vlade Divac was about as good as Alonzo Mourning on D

There are plenty of other glaring inconsistencies.

Cold soul
11-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Shit prime Kobe is way better player than Curry let alone his peak people have short term memories or never saw young Kobe play.

sammichoffate
11-03-2015, 09:53 PM
How many three's is Curry on pace for, does anyone know?

Mr. Jabbar
11-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Ill tell you this much: Curry is THE most fun to watch player since prime Kobe, who was the most fun to watch after Jordan, who was the most fun to watch after Magic. And that's what this sport is all about.

Foster5k
11-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Didn't Kobe score 81 one game? Lmao.

Curry is legit and is one of my favorite players. However, peak Kobe was pretty much unstoppable.

Cold soul
11-03-2015, 10:35 PM
If someone were to average 37-5-6 (2 t/o) on 60/49/96 in only 32 min per game while having a perfect record, then he'd be better than anyone ever.

Yeah well chances of any player doing this is close to impossible.

Wade's Rings
11-03-2015, 11:53 PM
I think this is a bit disingenuous. Curry won as the man too, he was just robbed of the finals MVP.

Iggy had great impact in that series and for sure was Finals MVP.

Curry was getting doubled at the top of the key a LOT in the finals.

Why do people say this? He got doubled in a couple of Games but it wasn't the whole series. Games 2 & 3 it was straight Isolations with him against Delly. In Game 1 he didn't see a lot of doubles, Game 4 not much again. In Game 5 he saw a good amount of doubles but was also left in Isolations with Delly and in Game 6 he was being trapped the whole Game.

1manfastbreak
11-04-2015, 12:56 AM
How many three's is Curry on pace for, does anyone know?

Curry is on pace to hit 492 three's this season. He is averaging six three-pointers per 36 minutes.

He is also on pace to sit out 27 4th quarter's this season.

At this point in their careers Kobe is the better peak player. He owns the NBA record for most made three's in a single game with 12. Curry can break that record and I also think he will have a 60+ point game at some point in his career.

2swift4u
11-04-2015, 03:42 AM
People seriously need to calm down. Curry is hot right now but he hasn't done nearly enough yet to be considered being a better player than Kobe. People here tend to forget how good Kobe used to be.

plowking
11-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Guy is on a nice stretch of games.

Not better than prime Kobe, but people need to stop acting like it isn't close. So little separates the guys at the top. Curry is certainly one of the most impactful players to ever play the game.

The true beauty about his game is it goes beyond stats. He can impact a game just by being on the court. Guy was playing 32 minutes I think last year, and was putting up 24/8. I don't think people get how crazy that is given how team oriented their basketball is and how little in terms of total minutes he actually played.

LikeMike
11-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Agreed with OP.