PDA

View Full Version : Could MJ guard this version of Curry?

IGOTGAME
11-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Or is Curry dropping 30 a night at will on great percentages?

Sarcastic
11-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Why even go there? Jordan > Curry, and they wouldn't even guard each other.

Spurs5Rings2014
11-03-2015, 10:05 AM

What does Jordan being greater than Curry have to do with him being able to lock down Curry or not?

:biggums:

IGOTGAME
11-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Jordan spent a good portion of time guarding Isiah. Jordan was just a better matchup in this situation, if he was about winning then he'd guard Curry. Otherwise it's just buckets.

scandisk_
11-03-2015, 10:06 AM
MJ would have more troubles on a bigger dude, e.g. bran

Sarcastic
11-03-2015, 10:10 AM
The better question is how many points would Jordan drop on Curry.

scandisk_
11-03-2015, 10:16 AM
The better question is how many points would Jordan drop on Curry.

Why even stop there? How many punches from MJ can Chef Curry take?

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Mj wasn't very fond of chasing guys through screens, so it'd be a safe bet to say scottie would have to or Harper.

Real thoughts on the matter: Lockdown city Mj stays inside his jersey blocks every jumper and jumps over each pick they set. Curry 0-21 0 pts. /childhood

AintNoSunshine
11-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Curry would sht curry on his pants if Jordan was on him. So much strength, quickness, length, girth, blackness and thickness for the little boy

Haymaker
11-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Why MJ would be guarding a PG? These idiots. :facepalm I'd love to see Payton or Randy Brown on him though.

IGOTGAME
11-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Why MJ would be guarding a PG? These idiots. :facepalm I'd love to see Payton or Randy Brown on him though.

same reason he guarded Isiah Thomas. he was the best matchup for the team.

stalkerforlife
11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Curry uses a ton of picks.

Defense is a team concept.

1 on 1 without picks, MJ could lock down any perimeter player in NBA history.

Leroy Jetson
11-03-2015, 11:29 AM
It's not like Jordan always shut everyone down every time and considering Curry is an all time great shooter, he's gonna get some points. He'll probably score a lot less and work a lot harder going against an all time great defender. Meanwhile Jordan the all time great scorer is going up against a good not great defender so he's definitely coming out on top.

Lebronxrings
11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
no but pippen could.

Quickening
11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Curry uses a ton of picks.

Defense is a team concept.

1 on 1 without picks, MJ could lock down any perimeter player in NBA history.

No, good offense beats good defence

Haymaker
11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Handcheck allowed?

SHAQisGOAT
11-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Dude like Curry is almost always getting "his", but Jordan would've done a terrific job defensively as he mostly did.

Otoh though, if you put Curry on Jordan, MJ's having a field day to say the least.

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Dude like Curry is almost always getting "his", but Jordan would've done a terrific job defensively as he mostly did.

Otoh though, if you put Curry on most elite players, they're having a field day to say the least.
Corrected

juju151111
11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I beginning to realize most people here have no clue about Mj. Why does everyone keep saying Mj wouldn't guard Steph because he a PG. Mj routinely guarded PG. Phil would put him on Isiah,magic,tim Hardaway,stockton,ron strickland,Kevin Johnson etc....

20Four
11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
no but pippen could.
a lebronze fan with a curry avy....so insecure hahahahah

Monta Ellis MVP
11-03-2015, 05:22 PM
No he couldn't. Curry has too good of handles. Allen Iverson was able to put Jordan on skates with old school crossovers. Curry's next level handles would make him look silly. Putting larger defenders on Curry is just asking to get torched.

OldSchoolBBall
11-03-2015, 06:55 PM
No he couldn't. Curry has too good of handles. Allen Iverson was able to put Jordan on skates with old school crossovers. Curry's next level handles would make him look silly. Putting larger defenders on Curry is just asking to get torched.

A) Curry is nowhere near as quick as Iverson

B) Curry does NOT use/have the "big" original crossover that AI used to use, which is actually the hardest dribble move to defend

C) We are assuming peak Jordan, not the 35 year old Jordan who AI crossed up. And a 35 year old Jordan missed blocking Iverson's shot by half a second after that crossover - a 26-28 year old Jordan swats it easily.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 06:59 PM
honestly no....Curry has to much range....and too good off of the dribble.

and we all saw how A.I . shook MJ.....imagine that over and over again....with Curry getting anywhere he wanted.

I know the MJ Nostalgia groupies will disagree.... but MJ never was good at guarding smaller quicker guards...

that's the damn truth

OldSchoolBBall
11-03-2015, 07:04 PM
n
I know the MJ Nostalgia groupies will disagree.... but MJ never was good at guarding smaller quicker guards...

that's the damn truth

Jordan is the best defender of PG's above 6'4" ever. He's done the job on everyone from Isiah, to Tim Hardaway, to Stricklands, to KJ. So you're wrong there.

4 Inches
11-03-2015, 07:05 PM
I'd prefer Scottie because he has more length

Straight_Ballin
11-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Are we talking a finals do or die situation?

Both players have exhibited that they don't know how to lose in the finals.

Jordan has exhibited that he did not know how to lose in 6 finals, while Curry has only had the opportunity once.

Why finals? Because that is the stage where everyone is playing their absolute best, hardest basketball. Fvck your regular season awards. Forget DPOY, and NBA all first defensive team which Jordan was on. They mean shit in the grand scheme of things come finals time.

Based on what we know about how Jordan was able to lock down equally as good PG as Curry, if he was allowed to apply that same type of defense (ie, transport Curry back to the 90's) he would stop Curry just as well as he was able to stop any other player. And stop them he did, as evidenced by his 6/6 finals. And if Curry had to cover Jordan, he would be so worn down on defense that he wouldn't be nearly as effective on offense.

And why are Lebald fans talking about girth when their idol has one of the smallest d1ck's that anyone has ever seen on live TV. Why are you so insure about another man's size? Please seek mental help, and quickly.

aquaadverse
11-03-2015, 07:16 PM
If it was under 90's rules, Curry would be put on his ass multiple times during his shot attempts with no flagrant fouls..

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 07:26 PM
If it was under 90's rules, Curry would be put on his ass multiple times during his shot attempts with no flagrant fouls..
90's be like
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/9/93770/2368999-genesis_archrivals.jpg

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Jordan is the best defender of PG's above 6'4" ever. He's done the job on everyone from Isiah, to Tim Hardaway, to Stricklands, to KJ. So you're wrong there.

I'm not wrong..and Curry is 6' 3" dummy!

MJ always had trouble guarding smaller quicker guards...1996, Pooh Richardson lit up Jordan...Pooh freakin Richardson

Damon Stoudamire had his way with Jordan that year too

then this......

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2mi5v.gif

aint no way MJ staying in front of Curry the whole game...especially when Curry has much better scoring ability then both those guys!

so yer wrong ther!!!

neener...neener....neener.

aquaadverse
11-03-2015, 07:32 PM
90's be like
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/9/93770/2368999-genesis_archrivals.jpg
Not a brawl. Just simple body up ballin....

Real Men Wear Green
11-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Young Jordan would guard him as well as anyone could but with the rules of today no single defender is going to stop Curry consistently.

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 07:48 PM

MJ always had trouble guarding smaller quicker guards...1996, Pooh Richardson lit up Jordan...Pooh freakin Richardson

then this......

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2mi5v.gif

aint no way MJ staying in front of Curry the whole game...especially when Curry has much better scoring ability then both those guys!

so yer wrong ther!!!

neener...neener....neener.
If only he could Handcheck him........
Curry won't do as much of that as ai though, he'd run him through screen hell.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 07:54 PM

please explain what would handchecking do...or how it would benifit?

If MJ puts hands on AI and pushes him it was still a foul even in the 80's.

If MJ tries to get close to A.I. and body him...A.I. blows right past him...:confusedshrug:

handchecking myth is dumb....it was much easier to score and score on a high % in the 80's

they didn't call as much flagrants...but this myth that the 80's was just guys pushing each other allowed to foul needs to stop.

besides...you couldn't even look at Jordan wrong without getting a foul called

Monta Ellis MVP

You even watch GS games bro?

OldSchoolBBall

No, I meant that of players above 6'4" tall, Jordan is the best defender of PG's out of them.

No, he didn't. Also, 33 years old.

Again, 33 years old, and Damon was WORLDS quicker than Curry.

Monta Ellis MVP
11-03-2015, 07:56 PM

If MJ tries to get close to A.I. and body him...A.I. blows right past him...:confusedshrug:

handchecking myth is dumb....it was much easier to score and score on a high % in the 80's

they didn't call as much flagrants...but this myth that the 80's was just guys pushing each other allowed to foul needs to stop.

Yes, Curry would dare Jordan to come out 30 feet to hand-check him. Jordan would look silly AF and end up in twister meme's like Chris Paul.

Dragonyeuw
11-03-2015, 07:59 PM
I'd prefer Scottie because he has more length

He also isn't as laterally fast as MJ, so that's not the best idea.

sdot_thadon
11-03-2015, 08:04 PM

I agree, sorry if the sarcasm wasn't clear. Everybody seems to think in the 90's curry would get stiff armed to hell everytime he had the ball. It didn't work that way. I think Mj would be wondering why this guy is launching 30ft pull ups and how is he making them.

You even watch GS games bro?
By you asking that the real question is did you watch ai bro? Steph is not on the ball nearly as much as Iverson was.

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=AlphaWolf24]I'm not wrong..and Curry is 6' 3" dummy![quote]

No, I meat that of players above 6'4" tall, Jordan is the best defender of PG's out of them.

first off No he isnt...2nd..Curry is below 6'4" you dumb rock.

No, he didn't. Also, 33 years old.

yes he did...you stupid bastard

and are you saying 1rst team defense MJ in 96' was gifted a selection based on reputation?

you would be correct...33 year old MJ did not deserve 1rst team honors

Again, 33 years old, and Damon was WORLDS quicker than Curry.

he's not worlds quicker....and even still....Curry is worlds better everywhere on the court..

ignorant bastard....

AlphaWolf24
11-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Yes, Curry would dare Jordan to come out 30 feet to hand-check him. Jordan would look silly AF and end up in twister meme's like Chris Paul.

exactly....and judging by MJ's history and trouble dealing with smaller faster players.....

MJ wouldn't really have any effect on Curry....maybe some....but marginal at best

would be like prime Tony Allen trying to F with Curry....not happening

bizil
11-03-2015, 08:19 PM
During his career, MJ defended PG's, SG's, and SF's. So it WOULDN'T be out of the question for him to check Steph at times. Put it like this, MJ could defend Steph as good as any 6'6 perimeter player possibly could... PLUS MJ could defend Steph MUCH BETTER than Steph could EVER DEFEND HIM!! That's the advantage of the highly skilled, great two way, versatile perimeter players 6'6 and up like MJ.

warriorfan
11-03-2015, 08:23 PM
MJ would need a double team or he would get smoked.