PDA

View Full Version : Are we about to enter a renassaince of great centers and bigs?

magnax1
11-04-2015, 03:00 AM
We have quite a few good young centers that already have, or might pan out.
Cousins and Davis are already very good centers, both arguably top 10 players in the league.
Gobert and Noel are both likely to become defensive juggernaughts
WCS, Okafor and Towns have all looked very good so far, though obviously they have to show that they can play well consistently.
The we have a few older centers who might have a few years left of near all star level play. The Gasol's, maybe Dwight, maybe Duncan if he sticks around, and I'm sure Deandre can last at least a few years.

magnax1
11-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Oh, I forgot Drummond, who was the one who made me think about making this thread in the first place, although clearly he needs to get his free throws in order.

Sarcastic
11-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Thread about next crop of centers and don't bring up Drummond?

http://www.geeksandcleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nick-young-confused-face.png

Rocketswin2013
11-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Whiteside, Drummond.

ThatCoolKid
11-04-2015, 03:09 AM
Davis is a PF bruh.

magnax1
11-04-2015, 03:13 AM
Davis is a PF bruh.
So are Duncan and Pau, but they can play both spots and have for large amounts of time. I see Davis the same way. Actually, he's probably more of a natural center in this day and age the either of them.

magnax1
11-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Whiteside, Drummond.
Whiteside is nearly as unproven as the rookies, which is a bit worrisome for a 26 year old, but he definitely deserves a mention.

Collie
11-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Don't forget guys like Vuc, Jonas, Kanter etc. who are very good starters in this league.

I<3NBA
11-04-2015, 11:29 AM
pretty soon, with the way teams are going small.

some team is going to figure that out and get an unstoppable center like Shaq.

and then teams will stop that small ball shit.

SpecialQue
11-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I hope so. I love big men.

I<3NBA
11-04-2015, 12:31 PM
especially when they are thick and long, right?

sportjames23
11-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Thread about next crop of centers and don't bring up Drummond?

http://www.geeksandcleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nick-young-confused-face.png

:roll: :roll: :roll:

sportjames23
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM

:biggums:

NBAplayoffs2001
11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Cousins and Davis are already very good centers, both arguably top 10 players in the league.
WCS, Okafor and Towns have all looked very good so far, though obviously they have to show that they can play well consistently.
The we have a few older centers who might have a few years left of near all star level play. The Gasol's, maybe Dwight, maybe Duncan if he sticks around, and I'm sure Deandre can last at least a few years.

In terms of numbers, yes. In terms of top talent, this is no where near as good as the early 2000s with Duncan/Webb/Sheed/Shaq/Garnett.

Davis might end up better than Cousins.
I think Gobert is more talented than Noel personally or at least more disciplined.
Towns looks really good. Okafor is legit. WCS, time will tell, I'm the most skeptical about him.
Marc Gasol is still putting in work. Everyone else is pretty much deteriorating.
Deandre, I'm not sure how long he lasts but as long as he has a top tier PG, he's a legitimate double double machine.

04mzwach
11-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Towns will be better than them all. It's only a matter of time. How many skilled centers get to be taught on the job by Kevin Garnett, one of the greatest big men of all time. :bowdown: Towns starts and Garnett starts. Garnett has nothing but good things to say about him. Towns already has the mid range game that most of these big men struggle with. I haven't seen Towns miss a mid range jumper yet. The Towns era is coming sooner than later.

knickballer
11-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Not one mention about PorizGOAT in this thread smh :facepalm

WorldWarriors
11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Seems like a nice crop of big men. Hopefully Festus makes it into this club. He's not there yet but he's working on it.

tmacattack33
11-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I hope so.

It gives more variation to teams in the league.

ProfessorMurder
11-04-2015, 02:13 PM
So are Duncan and Pau, but they can play both spots and have for large amounts of time. I see Davis the same way. Actually, he's probably more of a natural center in this day and age the either of them.
Duncan played more minutes at center than PF in his career.

magnax1
11-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Duncan played more minutes at center than PF in his career.
He started most of his career with another center.

kwajo
11-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Don't forget guys like Vuc, Jonas, Kanter etc. who are very good starters in this league.
Kanter and Jonas are only 23 too, so lots of years left to mature their games, both of which are built on post skills not athleticism.

GrapeApe
11-04-2015, 04:08 PM
I know Whiteside isn't exactly "young", but he's still just 26 and what he's doing right now (in terms of career ascension) is nearly unheard of. So far this season he's averaging 16/11 with 3.5 blocks, 76%fg, and a 29 PER in 30 mpg. He has a 26 PER in the 52 games he's played with the Heat and per 36 averages of 18/15 with 4 blocks. He still has some serious holes in his game to clean up, but I can't think of any other player who ascended from being out of the league to being a potential max player in less than one full season.

I've said it multiple times and it warrants repeating that Jawan Howard deserves a TON of credit for Whiteside's emergence. Whiteside might still be in the D-league or playing overseas if not for Howard's tutelage.

ClipperRevival
11-04-2015, 04:16 PM
It's only a matter of time. At some point, the league will go too small and several teams will counter with size and once one of these teams win it all, more teams will follow. Basketball isn't a stagnant sport, it always changes and evolves. Not to mention, a copycat league.

DoctorP
11-04-2015, 04:17 PM

It certainly appears so.