PDA

View Full Version : Sarunas Jasikevicius Reflects On His Time With The Pacers (good stories)

Dro
11-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Ok, we all know this was a disfunctional era for the Pacers with the Brawl and all..David Harrison has his book and I posted that thread a while ago....

- After signing with the Pacers, Jasikevicius admitted not working out with the expectation he would play himself into shape during training camp. No only did he not pick up a ball the summer prior to starting with the Pacers, but he hurt his knee jumping up and down at a U2 concert. He had great things to say about the Pacers training staff but understood the hole he dug.

Meanwhile, I soon realized that I had committed a serious mistake by not touching a single ball throughout the whole summer. With a body like mine, I should have trained constantly: Jamaal Tinsley was the starting point guard and he was definitely better than me, because he could provide a much more consistent defensive presence. Things went worse than I ever expected.

- Jasikevicius loved Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh but didn't like the way he was treated by his coach, Rick Carlisle. Considering the shape he arrived in, it actually makes sense that Carlisle would move on to other options thinking he couldn't rely on Saras. He also thought Carlisle was a little strange because he taped his ankles like the players before games.

- Saras didn't elaborate much but did confirm that a few players on the roster didn't roll out the welcome wagon. Fred Jones and Eddie Gill are mentioned as two that weren't happy to have Jasikevicius on the team.

- Stephen Jackson was a great teammate and even took Saras to a special party.

A little at a time, I discovered a new world, like when Jackson invited me to a party with his gang, the "Bloods". At first, I was scared; there were at least 300 people, of which only 3 or 4 were white, but that invitation was a beautiful sign of friendship, and the statement that Stephen considered me one of them
- The following excerpts further confirm the nuttiness that came with the talent of that 2005-06 Pacers team. Hard not to imaging Carlisle exhaling with a smile the day he was let go following the next season. First we learn about team that wasn't exactly on the same page nor disciplined.

The season did not start on the right foot. Carlisle chose to focus on his most important players, letting me stew in my own juice, giving me less space than I thought and certainly not putting me in a position to play my game. Moreover, not everyone welcomed in the team. Several players, like Fred Jones and Eddie Gill, were not happy that I had come from Europe and signed a good contract, and perhaps because of that, their contract would not be renewed or revised. It never happened to me to be uncomfortable with my teammates. Jermaine O'Neal was perhaps not the superstar who would take a franchise to win the title, but he was ok. As for the others, they had personalities that would tear Carlisle apart: Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Ron Artest... Rick was too easy going; it would take a much harder and rigorous coach to manage such a group. One day Tinsley showed up wearing flip-flops and he told Carlisle he was ready to train. The coach saw that he had been drinking and he told him to go home. The answer he received was, "You go home; I'm training!"
- No story of the mid-2000's Pacers would be complete without an appearance by Ron Artest.

I liked NBA basketball because I loved the idea of playing many games rather than train... and you always traveled first class. In that situation, I still had to take advantage of every opportunity I had to work alone, because playing so rarely, I had to keep in good shape by myself. We had the talent to win against anyone, but what we needed was continuity. Walsh and Bird realized the mess that the team had become, and the fact that there were too many unmanageable personalities.

To give you an idea of what kind of atmosphere it was, this game played in Seattle can be certainly the best example: by half time, we were below by a little. At the beginning of the third quarter, we were taking a partial loss. Carlisle called time-out and Artest (aka Metta World Peace), came to the bench and said, "Coach, tonight ask Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh to trade me, I cannot play the game you want." It was surreal. Rick did not flinch: "Ok, Ronny, no problem". I tried to calm him and encourage him, but I saw the others around me making strange faces and signaling me, whispering things like, "Shhh, quiet, he'll soon forget." It's a miracle that we got to the playoffs with that attitude.

The book is a translation of the original already published in Italy, Lithuania and Greece and some times reads like it, but the compelling basketball journey of Jasikevicius playing at all levels in the United States and Europe with varying levels of success makes for a good read.

Lol, so Stephen Jackson has actual ties to the street apparently. I figured that but it seems people still doubted it...

And lol @ Carlisle taping his ankles before the game, wtf?:biggums:

And lol @ Artest...

If anything, and this won't make Euroleague happy, this kinda proves the talent gap between the NBA and Europe once you get passed the Gasol's and Dirk's of the world....I liked Sarunas and was actually excited, like most Pacer fans, to see what he could do. Only to realize he couldn't even get the ball up the court against a press......

QuebecBaller
11-04-2015, 09:12 PM
https://mpala.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/sarunas-jasikevicius_43211.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/153/415645556_290ab484e4.jpg

Pushxx
11-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Great read.

FreezingTsmoove
11-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Stephen Jackson also never plays basketball in the summer

knickballer
11-04-2015, 11:46 PM
And people wonder why organizations like the Spurs value players with good character(for the most part), versatility and hard workers. Because they'll listen to Pop and play "team ball". Many NBA players don't grasp this and only care about empty stats and playing for themselves. They have the ego they had when they were in high school and college when they were superstars and think they are bigger then the team.

It's why teams don't touch guys like Rondo, Arenas, Beasley, etc.

Dro
11-06-2015, 01:02 PM
https://mpala.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/sarunas-jasikevicius_43211.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/153/415645556_290ab484e4.jpg
:rockon:

Uncle Drew
11-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Stephen Jackson invited him to a party of the Bloods. :oldlol:

Dro
11-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Stephen Jackson invited him to a party of the Bloods. :oldlol:
I'm actually surprised there were even 3-4 white folks there.....

zeerghit
11-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm actually surprised there were even 3-4 white folks there.....

great player, its shame that he didint get real chance, i still remember 2004 hes just went banannas against usa

FKAri
11-06-2015, 05:04 PM
great player, its shame that he didint get real chance, i still remember 2004 hes just went banannas against usa

Well he didn't put in the effort; even he admits it.

People talk about street hunger but with that mentality once you've made it to the NBA, it's time to sit back. You need to have ego and ambition to want to be great to actually be great once you're already here.

Dro
11-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I remember. Thats why I was kinda excited when we got him because I felt at the time that we needed somebody like him. He could shoot and played with a toughness. When he got to the NBA, it seemed like he never made a shot.....

zeerghit
11-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Well he didn't put in the effort; even he admits it.

People talk about street hunger but with that mentality once you've made it to the NBA, it's time to sit back. You need to have ego and ambition to want to be great to actually be great once you're already here.

all good. i agree, but u need to have smth to be great, if nobody respects u its no use my friend..

Rake2204
11-06-2015, 05:18 PM
One day Jamaal Tinsley showed up wearing flip-flops and he told Carlisle he was ready to train. The coach saw that he had been drinking and he told him to go home. The answer he received was, "You go home; I'm training!"
The image that excerpt creates... priceless.

D.J.
11-06-2015, 05:38 PM
A little at a time, I discovered a new world, like when Jackson invited me to a party with his gang, the "Bloods". At first, I was scared; there were at least 300 people, of which only 3 or 4 were white, but that invitation was a beautiful sign of friendship, and the statement that Stephen considered me one of them

Stevie Jacks inviting Sarunas to a party with a bunch of bloods = :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sakkreth
11-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Definetly an interesting read. Gonna read the whole book when my friend finishes it.

sammichoffate
11-06-2015, 06:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5KqBGd01M
Perfectly explained

Dro
11-06-2015, 07:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5KqBGd01M
Perfectly explained
will watch when I get home...