PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Old Man: Free Throw Hand Slaps

90sgoat
11-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Anyone else get annoyed at these teams that need to slap hands with the entire team, each.and.every time on every free throw?

This simply didn't happen back in the day.

plowking
11-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Probably due to lack of fundamentals.

Teammates are amazed any time their teammate can make a shot.

League sucks today bro!

Levity
11-05-2015, 09:07 PM
this does cross my mind every now and then. especially when bad free throw shooters do it (dj). moving off the line every time to high five your teammate, kind of takes you out of rhythm. if those bad free throw shooters just stood pat, i feel theyd hit more freethrows than theyd realize.

bdreason
11-05-2015, 09:13 PM
I think it started sometime in the late 90's. No idea why they do it, but I believe it actually lowers some players FT %. In fact, I remember watching an interview where a player talked about how he realized he was thinking about giving his teammate hand slaps before he was finished shooting the FT, and how he improved his FT% by stopping.

ProfessorMurder
11-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I hate it, and refused to do it when I played.

Foster5k
11-05-2015, 09:20 PM
It's one of those routine type of deals. It reminds me of MLB players while they're up at bat. After every pitch, the batter will, for some twilight zone reason, step out of the box and do this whole routine of adjusting his gloves, swinging the bat, flexing his muscles, etc. The whole gig will last for an entire minute or two and then the batter will step back into the box and await the next pitch. This is one of the reasons why baseball is so slow.

Now that I think about it, the NBA game could possibly be sped up a few minutes by getting rid of the whole slapping of the hands while shooting free throws. Also, maybe it would help bad free throw shooters shoot a higher %. Who knows.

90sgoat
11-05-2015, 09:26 PM
It's one of those routine type of deals. It reminds me of MLB players while they're up at bat. After every pitch, the batter will, for some twilight zone reason, step out of the box and do this whole routine of adjusting his gloves, swinging the bat, flexing his muscles, etc. The whole gig will last for an entire minute or two and then the batter will step back into the box and await the next pitch. This is one of the reasons why baseball is so slow.

Now that I think about it, the NBA game could possibly be sped up a few minutes by getting rid of the whole slapping of the hands while shooting free throws. Also, maybe it would help bad free throw shooters shoot a higher %. Who knows.

Great idea, ban it outright, why not it serves zero purpose.

What I think its about is this millenial everybody pals kind of thing. Lack the ability to connect through shared hard work so they need to do all these other childish things.

BasedTom
11-05-2015, 09:30 PM
not too bothered by this

what i don't get is when the camera goes to coaches and they're always clapping for some reason, even when a player on the opposing team made a big play, or one of their own players ****ed up spectacularly.

Why would you clap when your team just turned over the ball, for example?

90sgoat
11-05-2015, 09:33 PM
not too bothered by this

what i don't get is when the camera goes to coaches and they're always clapping for some reason, even when a player on the opposing team made a big play, or one of their own players ****ed up spectacularly.

Why would you clap when your team just turned over the ball, for example?

Lol, it's meant like 'good try, lets go again', basically grade school stuff, because these millenials are so soft they cry if you raise your voice.

Goofsta Knicca
11-05-2015, 09:40 PM
http://i0.wp.com/stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4293236/bogut-high-fiving-himself-o.gif

:oldlol:

Did he piss his teammates off or something?

Truth
11-05-2015, 09:56 PM
This is a problem but in today's a much larger problem we must address is egregious offensive fouls, flopping, some players whining after every single play to the ref, and the ridiculous flagrant fouls in today's Game especially when they go to replay to look at it

HoopologyPhD
11-06-2015, 08:19 PM
I agree completely, this annoys the hell out of me. Focus on the damn game.

dhsilv
11-06-2015, 10:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hsUjjIJ.jpg

Seems like free throw shooting outside of during the shaq attack, has been about the same give or take...

FreezingTsmoove
11-06-2015, 10:25 PM
I did it all the time but only with the two guys in front of me never back. If they wanted dap they had to pat me on the back. I wasnt with that gay shit of patting on the butt. Told them dont ever do that gay shit bruh