PDA

View Full Version : Is Curry 2009 NBA draft scouting report proof that athleticism isn't too important

NBAplayoffs2001
11-07-2015, 01:43 PM
http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/9/24/9393139/stephen-curry-reads-his-2009-nba-draft-report-scouting-improve

dubnation
11-07-2015, 01:47 PM
http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/9/24/9393139/stephen-curry-reads-his-2009-nba-draft-report-scouting-improve

If you're the best shooter of all time, are extremely skilled and possess an extremely high bball IQ... then athleticism "isn't too important".

Heavincent
11-07-2015, 02:59 PM
A lot of people thought he would bust.

FreezingTsmoove
11-07-2015, 03:03 PM
It is important. Curry is one of the quickest, if not the quickest guard in the league

PHILA
11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Bob Knight said he was as good a passer as anyone who ever played college basketball. :lebronamazed:

Jan 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g

Eye Test
11-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Mr. Jabbar taught me when you have a release time of 0.001 seconds athleticism isn't so important. He also taught me Currys underrated strong points are Stamina and High off-ball iq.

dubeta
11-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Mr. Jabbar taught me when you have a release time of 0.001 seconds athleticism isn't so important. He also taught me Currys underrated strong points are Stamina and High off-ball iq.

Bro why do u have multiple accounts, stick to 1 like me :lol

Eye Test
11-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Bro why do u have multiple accounts, stick to 1 like me :lol

Dude. This is my only account, what are you talking about?

L.Kizzle
11-07-2015, 03:27 PM
He's an above average athlete. He's not Russell Westbrook, but he's athletic.

buddha
11-07-2015, 03:36 PM
maybe he got better?

dhsilv
11-07-2015, 03:43 PM
His jump shot is proof of a level of athletic ability, in short you're not getting a release like that from distance without strength and the coordination to generate controlled power very quickly.

I don't recall his college play much I think I saw two games maybe of the guy, but if he couldn't dribble then, he sure as heck can dribble now! There's little debate the guy has improved every year of his career, it's not like he came into the league dominating.

It's REALLY hard to project work ethic and discipline. For every Curry there is a Ricky Davis or Bonzi Wells who could be an all time level guy if they're focused on the game.

Also we're missing large parts of that draft report....who knows if any of that was in context.

SamuraiSWISH
11-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Same coould be said of any NBA player or pro athlete period. It's hyperbole. It's like when people say Kobe isn't as athletic as MJ or LeBron. He's not. But he's still insanely athletic even against the vast majority of all-time contemporaries.

And Steph Curry compared to other current contemporaries shouldn't be considered athletic.

And it is the best story of him being so dominant. It's a great lesson for kids that you don't have to be a 6'4+ super freak, long arm, bunny leg, or alien super freak athlete like LeBron, Durant, MJ, Kobe, or even Wade etc.

Curry isn't even as quick or the type of athlete guys at his own position in history have been like Rose, Westbrook, Baron Davis, KJ, Francis with their leaping ability. Or superior quickness. Guys like Hardaway or Iverson were way faster as well. And he doesn't have the size or strength a dude like Kidd had.

He really is a better, superior version of post 2005 Nash, with slightly inferior passing but better defender.

Curry's game is predicated on being GOAT shooter, ELITE ball handling, crafty finisher around the rim and very good passing (not quite elite in an all-time sense)

SC's not even insanely quick by PG standards. Him and CP3 are same level quickness off the dribble on the floor. He's just very smart, and a great ball handler, he's crafty.

His offense is all crossover, crossover, behind the back, step back for that quick hybrid jumper / push shot that absolutely no one can defend because he gets it off insanely quick. In this league with out physicality on the perimeter?

Un-guardable. Unstoppable.

Heavincent
11-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Honestly, the predraft scouting reports on him were pretty similar to Jimmer Fredette :lol

theaussieguy
11-07-2015, 04:03 PM

actually they both have poverty 36.5 inch verticals.

noob cake
11-07-2015, 04:05 PM
C'mon everyone thought Curry was a great shooter. No one thought he would be the GOAT shooters.

C'mon 51.4% shooting from 3? 45 PER?

SHAQisGOAT
11-07-2015, 04:17 PM
There are plenty of more "examples" of it before and there will be more afterwards... Besides athleticism, when you have what players like Stephen Curry, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan or Steve Nash have? You're MUCH MORE than set and good to go, call it. And it's even more than skill, you have many intangibles coming into play.

STILL, let's also not underrate, for example, Steph's athleticism even when compared to his peers... He has terrific hand-eye coordination, he's quick and agile, he's very strong for his size, extremely coordinated... But when you have that type of skill (and even more), you don't need to be even close to being one of the all-time great NBA athletes in order to be one of the all-time great NBA players.

WorldWarriors
11-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Bob Knight said he was as good a passer as anyone who ever played college basketball. :lebronamazed:

Jan 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g I remember that quote. Took Steph a minute to get it to the NBA level with the injuries set back. But he did.

Steph didn't come and work out for the Warriors. Warriors ownership was horrible at the time so I couldn't blame him. Nelson and Riley weren't hopeful that he would fall to us so they were all ready to trade the pick to Phoenix for Amare Stoudamire.

dhsilv
11-07-2015, 04:27 PM
There are plenty of more "examples" of it before and there will be more afterwards... Besides athleticism, when you have what players like Stephen Curry, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan or Steve Nash have? You're MUCH MORE than set and good to go, call it. And it's even more than skill, you have many intangibles coming into play.

STILL, let's also not underrate, for example, Steph's athleticism even when compared to his peers... He has terrific hand-eye coordination, he's quick and agile, he's very strong for his size, extremely coordinated... But when you have that type of skill (and even more), you don't need to be even close to being one of the all-time great NBA athletes in order to be one of the all-time great NBA players.

Thought I'd quote you so people can read what you said. That bold virus that's on your computer really makes it hard to read what you're typing!