PDA

View Full Version : Lakers have a scary good future....

9erempiree
11-07-2015, 04:54 PM
JC- the best player of his draft class

Randle- superstar in the making

DRuss- starting to shine

It's very good to be a Laker fan because we are getting to see stars in the making. We have a sense of direction during while most teams just suck.

:banana:

fpliii
11-07-2015, 04:57 PM

DRuss- starting to shine

It's very good to be a Laker fan because we are getting to see stars in the making. We have a sense of direction during while most teams just suck.

I think this is going to be an important year. If they can keep the draft pick, I think it'll have been a solid rebuild.

Top 3 is tough though. Really have to have a top 2 worst record since you have to assume at least one team will jump you (worst case scenario).

StephHamann
11-07-2015, 04:57 PM

DRuss- starting to shine

https://media.giphy.com/media/jGeuf0mcBdh3q/giphy.gif

LoneyROY7
11-07-2015, 04:58 PM

TommyGriffin
11-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Jameerthefear
11-07-2015, 05:00 PM

stalkerforlife
11-07-2015, 05:02 PM
I really like Russell's potential.

I see some Nash in him.

DMAVS41
11-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Yep...and that is why they should have at least tried to tank the season. They might anyway, but if Kobe gets hot for a month or something they won't keep their pick.

There was just no upside to refusing to hard tank.

But my god...you give this team the first pick next year and they hit with it? And they are the Lakers?

Yea...12 plus year great run coming. We'll see what happens though...losing this pick to the Sixers with it being like 5 would be brutal.

Cocaine80s
11-07-2015, 05:05 PM
http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-2579921951.gif

9erempiree
11-07-2015, 05:05 PM
It's too early in the season for me to think about tanking.

I am rooting hard for us to win as much games as possible.

You don't need to tank when we have 3 stars in the making.

Jameerthefear
11-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Yep...and that is why they should have at least tried to tank the season. They might anyway, but if Kobe gets hot for a month or something they won't keep their pick.

But my god...you give this team the first pick next year and they hit with it? And they are the Lakers?

Yea...12 plus year great run coming. We'll see what happens though...losing this pick to the Sixers with it being like 5 would be brutal.

stalkerforlife
11-07-2015, 05:07 PM

:applause:

fpliii
11-07-2015, 05:08 PM

That probably is true. Tanking can breed a losing culture, and stunt the development of young players.

Right now it's way too early to think of a bottom 3 record. There are some very, very bad teams in the NBA right now. Brooklyn isn't going to win 10 games.

TommyGriffin
11-07-2015, 05:09 PM

SpecialQue
11-07-2015, 05:13 PM
That probably is true. Tanking can breed a losing culture, and stunt the development of young players.

Right now it's way too early to think of a bottom 3 record. There are some very, very bad teams in the NBA right now. Brooklyn isn't going to win 10 games.

The reality is that the Lakers are one of those teams.

SwishSquared
11-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Yea...12 plus year great run coming. We'll see what happens though...losing this pick to the Sixers with it being like 5 would be brutal.Even if they finish with the worst record, there's a ~35% chance of them losing the pick. It's good for them that they've started out this poorly because 76ers, Nets, and T-Wolves (in addition to others) will continue to lose. Those odds tilt in 76ers favor with each LAL victory, of course. Lakers might be the 3rd worst team in the NBA, by record, which is scary for their future.

I think people overreact like crazy, especially on this board. Lakers fans need to hope that Scott lets the young guys play meaningful minutes. Literally nobody else on this roster matters for their future. These guys need to learn how to play NBA ball. Not to mention showcasing their talent is a much bigger draw for free agents than Kobe's former glory.

If they land Simmons/Skal/Ingram, then they look to be in really good shape in terms of hitting on picks and building for their future. Maybe they try to trade for Cousins again or some other established player.

Naero
11-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Nothing is going to bode well for the Lakers until the front office can impersonalize their parameters for decision-making--especially for coach-hiring. The coach--an inherent leader of a team in any sport--is easily the hardest piece of the puzzle to hunt for, and it's painfully self-evident that they've had a string of miscues ever since they lost GOAT-candidate Phil Jackson.

We can embellish the young players all we want; even if the right nucleus of players is in place (though D'Angelo Russell definitely has no shortage of workmanship to continue proving), we lack any viable player-development coach. Byron Scott yanking out the younger players no matter how hat-handed they are at the juncture and publicly chastising them without any self-accountability is not lending them the positive reinforcement that they need to shine dazzlingly, nor does it represent a healthy culture to allure other big-time free-agent signees to join.

fpliii
11-07-2015, 05:18 PM
The reality is that the Lakers are one of those teams.
I feel like some of that is coaching (I guess Byron will probably make it through the season though). Like right now, it seems like Brooklyn is a lock to finish with a worse record.

Problem is for me, if there's even one more team that's definitely worse than LA, it's going to be very hard to hold on...I don't have any data on this (though it would be easy to look up I guess), but I feel like in most years a non-bottom 3 team will jump into the top 3.

Uncle Drew
11-07-2015, 05:19 PM
And the Lakers are one of them. The only two teams I'd say are worse, are the Sixers and the Nets. Other than that, teams have more talent than LAL.

fpliii
11-07-2015, 05:23 PM
And the Lakers are one of them. The only two teams I'd say are worse, are the Sixers and the Nets. Other than that, teams have more talent than LAL.
If we can say the Sixers are clearly worse as well, then I think that's problematic in terms of keeping the pick. I'd guess the chances of being bumped from the bottom 3 are greater than jumping from 3 -> 1 or 2.

Bless Mathews
11-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Op is a punk bitch that is too scared to Poast in the football forum.

Dats what he really meant.

buddha
11-07-2015, 05:31 PM
don't forget Ben Simmons.

Lakers will probably get a top 5-10 pick in 2017 too.

D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Ben Simmons
Julius Randle
(2017 lotto pick)

FireDavidKahn
11-07-2015, 05:49 PM

I see some Nash in him.
Serious question, has Nash ever had a 0 assist game?:lol

AirTupac
11-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Serious question, has Nash ever had a 0 assist game?:lol

Nash had a whole rookie season at the age of 22 averaging 3.3 ppg. Your point?
Does this mean D'Angelo is already way better than Nash?

StephHamann
11-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Nash had a whole rookie season at the age of 22 averaging 3.3 ppg. Your point?
Does this mean D'Angelo is already way better than Nash?

Nash played behind Jason Kidd and Dennis Johnson in his rookie year.

Russells competition is who? Clarkson is playing SG and Kobe is playing lot of SF, i don't even know the Lakers guards outside of Clarkson and Russell. :lol

DaOldLion
11-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Russells competition is who? Clarkson is playing SG and Kobe is playing lot of SF, i don't even know the Lakers guards outside of Clarkson and Russell. :lol

who was he playing behind when he played 30 mpg and shot 36% for the season at age 24?

24-Inch_Chrome
11-07-2015, 06:13 PM

I see some Nash in him.

:biggums:

Gus Hemmingway
11-07-2015, 06:16 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/WelldocumentedSecondaryGalapagostortoise.gif

buddha
11-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I don't see Russell having the work ethic to improve to an elite level. at best he'll be solid.

SwishSquared
11-07-2015, 06:18 PM
don't forget Ben Simmons.

Lakers will probably get a top 5-10 pick in 2017 too.

D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Ben Simmons
Julius Randle
(2017 lotto pick)That pick is only top 3 protected in 2017 if it doesn't go to Philly this year.

AirTupac
11-07-2015, 06:18 PM

Russel is also A TEENAGER and gets in the doghouse for hitting multiple shots in a row. He had 16 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals on 6/9 shooting in 23 minutes. He'll get there just fine.

DMAVS41
11-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Even if they finish with the worst record, there's a ~35% chance of them losing the pick. It's good for them that they've started out this poorly because 76ers, Nets, and T-Wolves (in addition to others) will continue to lose. Those odds tilt in 76ers favor with each LAL victory, of course. Lakers might be the 3rd worst team in the NBA, by record, which is scary for their future.

I think people overreact like crazy, especially on this board. Lakers fans need to hope that Scott lets the young guys play meaningful minutes. Literally nobody else on this roster matters for their future. These guys need to learn how to play NBA ball. Not to mention showcasing their talent is a much bigger draw for free agents than Kobe's former glory.

If they land Simmons/Skal/Ingram, then they look to be in really good shape in terms of hitting on picks and building for their future. Maybe they try to trade for Cousins again or some other established player.

Yea, it's of course not a lock you get a top 3 pick if you tank, but I just don't see the upside of doing what they did.

It's not like it's the players and coach that try to lose...you just put out a team that sucks and play the young guys as much as possible.

I like that a lot more than trying to put together some team of Kobe, Hibbert, Lou Williams that the most likely thing is they aren't a bottom 3 team and aren't good enough to make the playoffs. Just seems kind of pointless....all for Hibbert and Lou Williams to play like 25 minutes a game?

It's a tough spot regardless, but if making the playoffs is a long shot (and even then I'm not sure they would gain anything of note long term) and you are in full on rebuilding mode...just play the young guys as much as possible. If you are terrible...great. If you show signs of being decent...great.

The in between the Lakers did...I just hate. It may work out through luck, but that doesn't mean it was smart.

SwishSquared
11-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Yea, it's of course not a lock you get a top 3 pick if you tank, but I just don't see the upside of doing what they did.

It's not like it's the players and coach that try to lose...you just put out a team that sucks and play the young guys as much as possible.

I like that a lot more than trying to put together some team of Kobe, Hibbert, Lou Williams that the most likely thing is they aren't a bottom 3 team and aren't good enough to make the playoffs. Just seems kind of pointless....all for Hibbert and Lou Williams to play like 25 minutes a game?

It's a tough spot regardless, but if making the playoffs is a long shot (and even then I'm not sure they would gain anything of note long term) and you are in full on rebuilding mode...just play the young guys as much as possible. If you are terrible...great. If you show signs of being decent...great.

The in between the Lakers did...I just hate. It may work out through luck, but that doesn't mean it was smart.I agree- coming into this year, I pegged them as the 6th worst team or so, which made no sense with the light pick protection. That being said, they're playing much worse than I anticipated from the jump. Part of that is Byron Scott is an idiot by modern NBA coaching standards and part of that is Russell coming along slower (no pun intended).

Like you said, they could luck into this pick but I don't like the overall odds unless they sit vets. I don't think they'll do that b/c pride and TV ratings, but in March they might. I know there's the 35% risk of losing the pick this year, but their plan was backwards for keeping it lol. They couldn't have thought that they'd be good enough to be in the playoffs, or close to it, this year. Maybe they pull a 2013-2014 Bucks and get the #2 pick.

They really panicked over the summer after missing out on Aldridge/Cousins and scrambled to get Lou Williams, Bass, and Hibbert. I mean all that did was get yet another ball dominant guy to not let Russell develop. I understood the rationale for getting Hibbert for free so the D wouldn't be an absolute joke, but the D actually is a joke so it was kinda pointless. They would have been better off being the dumping ground for the Kings this summer. I'd rather have Stauskas + pick swaps+ future first + Landry on my books for 1 more year than what they're doing.

Lakers are going to need to overpay RFAs and young guys next year, dependent on how draft shakes out. They might need to throw huge bucks @ Whiteside & Harrison Barnes if things fall apart for them.

HenryGarfunkle
11-07-2015, 06:43 PM
https://images.rapgenius.com/8t4aeicq5jsy1y6ab38g7xp7n.230x192x75.gif

L8krH8tr
11-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Lakers are a joke, like OP's life

DMAVS41
11-07-2015, 06:49 PM
I agree- coming into this year, I pegged them as the 6th worst team or so, which made no sense with the light pick protection. That being said, they're playing much worse than I anticipated from the jump. Part of that is Byron Scott is an idiot by modern NBA coaching standards and part of that is Russell coming along slower (no pun intended).

Like you said, they could luck into this pick but I don't like the overall odds unless they sit vets. I don't think they'll do that b/c pride and TV ratings, but in March they might. I know there's the 35% risk of losing the pick this year, but their plan was backwards for keeping it lol. They couldn't have thought that they'd be good enough to be in the playoffs, or close to it, this year. Maybe they pull a 2013-2014 Bucks and get the #2 pick.

They really panicked over the summer after missing out on Aldridge/Cousins and scrambled to get Lou Williams, Bass, and Hibbert. I mean all that did was get yet another ball dominant guy to not let Russell develop. I understood the rationale for getting Hibbert for free so the D wouldn't be an absolute joke, but the D actually is a joke so it was kinda pointless. They would have been better off being the dumping ground for the Kings this summer. I'd rather have Stauskas + pick swaps+ future first + Landry on my books for 1 more year than what they're doing.

Lakers are going to need to overpay RFAs and young guys next year, dependent on how draft shakes out. They might need to throw huge bucks @ Whiteside & Harrison Barnes if things fall apart for them.

Also, if someone could post the actual numbers I'd really appreciate it, but it seems like Randle and Russell are always out there with Kobe. I've seen every game but the game last night and I can't remember seeing them out there by themselves once all year.

That isn't good for developing young guys...you don't want them out there with a guy like Kobe...that's honestly the worst guy in the league for those guys to play with to develop.

fpliii
11-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Also, if someone could post the actual numbers I'd really appreciate it, but it seems like Randle and Russell are always out there with Kobe. I've seen every game but the game last night and I can't remember seeing them out there by themselves once all year.

That isn't good for developing young guys...you don't want them out there with a guy like Kobe...that's honestly the worst guy in the league for those guys to play with to develop.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2016/lineups/#lineups-3-man::none

Second most common 3-man unit.

Eye Test
11-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Agreed :cheers: . Will be rooting hard for them when that time comes :rockon:

kunk75
11-07-2015, 06:59 PM

I see some Nash in him.

this is all a joke right its hard to tell anymore

Hittin_Shots
11-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Boston - laker rivalry again. We got the next three number one picks with Brooklyns 1st rounders.

fiddy
11-07-2015, 07:26 PM

DRuss- starting to shine

24-Inch_Chrome
11-07-2015, 07:34 PM

fiddy
11-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Boston - laker rivalry again. We got the next three number one picks with Brooklyns 1st rounders.
Lmao, still remember how i laughed in the faces of the delusional nets fans that thought they were going to compete with a bunch of pensioners

boldarblood
11-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Boston - laker rivalry again.

The way it always have been, all will be right again. Good for the NBA brand. Good organizations always rise to the top eventually. Just takes time to build it right, younger fans and today's generation of instant gratification don't always realize that.

fiddy
11-07-2015, 07:42 PM
That pick is only top 3 protected in 2017 if it doesn't go to Philly this year.
We have to get real lucky this year

outbreak
11-07-2015, 08:04 PM

DRuss- starting to shine

:roll: :roll: :roll:
for ****s sake there's some bad trolls here